(WAMC) What are my chances for matching into Dermatology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Atypical WAMC. I am applying into IM (MS4) and interested in CTCL. I have two months and could potentially apply into Med/Derm. Of which there are 3 programs I'd be interested in applying for (7 total) - Upenn, Brigham, MGH. I believe they have 1-2 spots each. I am wondering how much of a pipe dream this would be.

- top 10 school
- Step1/2: Upper 250's
- Honors in all rotations
- IM department letter/SubI letter
- Heme/Onc rotation letter (extremely strong)
- Research mentor letter - IM trained but professorship of dermatology due to research.
- 3 basic science neurology mid author papers
- 1 second author ENT paper
- CTCL/PTCL submission that will hear back from before ERAS is due. Hopefully relatively high impact.
- Case report likely to be published in time.
- Additional project with CTCL and derm faculty underway.

I really enjoy CTCL work, it is niche and I recently discovered the Med/Derm combined residency. I'm essentially wondering if it would be possible. I do not have a department chair letter from derm and will likely not be able to get one - they require 2 months of rotations in the department. Because of my research mentor I have a letter in dermatology. Is this path within the realm of possibility? What should I do in the interim?

Members don't see this ad.

Atypical WAMC. I am applying into IM (MS4) and interested in CTCL. I have two months and could potentially apply into Med/Derm. Of which there are 3 programs I'd be interested in applying for (7 total) - Upenn, Brigham, MGH. I believe they have 1-2 spots each. I am wondering how much of a pipe dream this would be.

- top 10 school
- Step1/2: Upper 250's
- Honors in all rotations
- IM department letter/SubI letter
- Heme/Onc rotation letter (extremely strong)
- Research mentor letter - IM trained but professorship of dermatology due to research.
- 3 basic science neurology mid author papers
- 1 second author ENT paper
- CTCL/PTCL submission that will hear back from before ERAS is due. Hopefully relatively high impact.
- Case report likely to be published in time.
- Additional project with CTCL and derm faculty underway.

I really enjoy CTCL work, it is niche and I recently discovered the Med/Derm combined residency. I'm essentially wondering if it would be possible. I do not have a department chair letter from derm and will likely not be able to get one - they require 2 months of rotations in the department. Because of my research mentor I have a letter in dermatology. Is this path within the realm of possibility? What should I do in the interim?

Hmm, that is interesting.

Is this path within the realm of possibility? Sure, your stats are certainly outstanding enough.

I think missing the department chair letter from derm though is going to be a major red flag. Med/Derm programs are not backdoor entries into derm and fair or not, there are those who will question how much you really like derm. How close are you with the derm department? Would you feel comfortable asking them to evaluate your chances?

I think if you are applying into IM anyway, and you are OK matching into IM, then go ahead and try the med/derm programs. In the interim, you will want to gather as much derm experience as you can and try to get LORs from dermatologists.

I think if you are dead set on a med/derm program, it would be in your best interest to delay application for a year, get the required derm rotations and letters, and then apply. In the interim, the same advice applies: I would start getting derm experience, start planning out how you want to structure your schedule to gain said derm experience and LORs, try to see if you can expand on your CTCL projects with derm faculty in the extra time you now have. I think you'll have an outstanding shot at a med/derm or derm program. And you can use IM as your backup at that time.

I’m a third year at a top 20 med school (P/F preclinical ), 260+ step 1. Currently have ~10-15 publications (manuscripts, posters, abstracts), mostly all derm related. Only 2 or 3 first author. I have pretty limited extracurriculars (volunteering etc.) besides one or two leadership positions, which is one of my concerns about my overall application.
My questions... should I take a gap year? Also, should I dedicate myself to adding volunteer activities/ will it be a limiting factor on my application?

Members don't see this ad :)
I’m a third year at a top 20 med school (P/F preclinical ), 260+ step 1. Currently have ~10-15 publications (manuscripts, posters, abstracts), mostly all derm related. Only 2 or 3 first author. I have pretty limited extracurriculars (volunteering etc.) besides one or two leadership positions, which is one of my concerns about my overall application.
My questions... should I take a gap year? Also, should I dedicate myself to adding volunteer activities/ will it be a limiting factor on my application?

I don't think you need a gap year. Conversely, if you want to take one, it never hurts and would allow you to add to your already impressive research background

I don't think missing volunteer activities is going to be a big problem given your background already. That being said, if it is something you are passionate about, meet with your derm department to see what kind of volunteering activities are available for you to help with.

I think you are in good shape either way. Add the gap year / volunteering activities if you want to. If not, continue with what you've been doing.

Reactions: 1 user
MS3 at a top 20 school, 262 Step 1, but very little research. Much more of an engineer.

Worked on 2 medical device companies, 1 started in undergrad, 1 started in med school.

1st was in the field of oral health, raised $300k, initiated clinical trials, gradually died because insurance regulations don't let MDs get paid for dental-type work
2nd is in vision care, raised $500k, probs raising $2.5M from grants/VC by MS4, 2 publication in top ophthalmology journals, mid-author, at minimum 2 patents (maybe 3).

Volunteering as a chronic care provider and ophthalmology provider in student-run clinic.

So obviously I was interested in ophtho but also considering derm now. Definitely want tech development to be a part of my career and derm has some super cool tech! If I take a year between MS3 and MS4 to do research, can I make up the research deficit?

If I take a year between MS3 and MS4 to do research, can I make up the research deficit?
Most Dermatology applicants at this point take a research year between MS3 and MS4. Very interesting tech background you have!

Reactions: 1 user
MS3 at a top 20 school, 262 Step 1, but very little research. Much more of an engineer.

Worked on 2 medical device companies, 1 started in undergrad, 1 started in med school.

1st was in the field of oral health, raised $300k, initiated clinical trials, gradually died because insurance regulations don't let MDs get paid for dental-type work
2nd is in vision care, raised $500k, probs raising $2.5M from grants/VC by MS4, 2 publication in top ophthalmology journals, mid-author, at minimum 2 patents (maybe 3).

Volunteering as a chronic care provider and ophthalmology provider in student-run clinic.

So obviously I was interested in ophtho but also considering derm now. Definitely want tech development to be a part of my career and derm has some super cool tech! If I take a year between MS3 and MS4 to do research, can I make up the research deficit?

I don't think you necessarily need a research year. But yes, taking a year between MS3 and MS4 for research is a significant commitment and if done properly, gives you a big leg up when applying.

I'm a MS3 (USMD state school) who just developed an interest in dermatology after some great shadowing experiences. Looking for advice on my chances of matching!

Step 1: 237
Step 2: Not yet taken
Grades: 2nd quartile; No AOA. Honors in neuro, peds, and IM. HP in surgery. P in OBGYN and FM. Still have psych left.
Derm specific Research: None so far, but I started two projects this month. I'm doing ~2 hours a day of research to knock out as many pubs as possible.
Non-Derm research: 8 pubs in IM, one 1st author.
Extracurricular: About 4 leadership roles not Derm specific.

I'm wondering (1) do I still have a realistic shot at matching given my stats, and (2) do I need a research year if I am able to get a 3-4 papers out before applications are due?

I'm a MS3 (USMD state school) who just developed an interest in dermatology after some great shadowing experiences. Looking for advice on my chances of matching!

Step 1: 237
Step 2: Not yet taken
Grades: 2nd quartile; No AOA. Honors in neuro, peds, and IM. HP in surgery. P in OBGYN and FM. Still have psych left.
Derm specific Research: None so far, but I started two projects this month. I'm doing ~2 hours a day of research to knock out as many pubs as possible.
Non-Derm research: 8 pubs in IM, one 1st author.
Extracurricular: About 4 leadership roles not Derm specific.

I'm wondering (1) do I still have a realistic shot at matching given my stats, and (2) do I need a research year if I am able to get a 3-4 papers out before applications are due?

1) You have a shot at matching. I'm not sure I would call it realistic or optimistic given your current stats.

2) I think any shot at matching probably requires a research year. The goal of the research year is to make connections so that someone can vouch for you come application time (or flat out rank you to match since they know you personally and what you can bring to the table). Publications help but even if you had 13-14 papers, your Step 1 score will eliminate you from a lot of filters. Your grades and lack of AOA status might be the nail in the coffin. I think you would really benefit from a research year, networking, and impressing someone as your stats otherwise are probably a smidge below average for a derm applicant.

Reactions: 1 users
1) You have a shot at matching. I'm not sure I would call it realistic or optimistic given your current stats.

2) I think any shot at matching probably requires a research year. The goal of the research year is to make connections so that someone can vouch for you come application time (or flat out rank you to match since they know you personally and what you can bring to the table). Publications help but even if you had 13-14 papers, your Step 1 score will eliminate you from a lot of filters. Your grades and lack of AOA status might be the nail in the coffin. I think you would really benefit from a research year, networking, and impressing someone as your stats otherwise are probably a smidge below average for a derm applicant.
Thanks so much! I spoke with my school career advisor today, and he said pretty much the same.
What is the a common screen/filter used by programs? 240? 245?

I don't think you need a research year if you are just talking about matching in general, your stats are similar if not better than mine were across the board
Hi! I have a quick follow-up to this - do you mind if I PM you?