Want to do Primary Care.. LECOM PCSP vs. MD School's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MahoganySmoothC

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
To keep it simple, I am very certain I want to do primary care, specifically family medicine in my hometown. I am struggling with the decision to attend the LECOM PCSP program and go the D.O. route or focus on taking an MD acceptance if I receive one. I have stats that are on par for acceptance to both types of schools so if the issue of LECOM PCSP vs MD school arises I am not sure what to do.

Members don't see this ad.

To keep it simple, I am very certain I want to do primary care, specifically family medicine in my hometown. I am struggling with the decision to attend the LECOM PCSP program and go the D.O. route or focus on taking an MD acceptance IF I receive one. I have stats that are on par for acceptance to both types of schools so IF the issue of LECOM PCSP vs MD school arises I am not sure what to do.

Quit worrying about hypothetical scenarios. Its pointless to compare LECOM to some unnamed school that you haven't been accepted to. I don't know costs, proximity to home/friends, your feelings on location, school, etc... The path to becoming a doctor is such a long process, you're going to burn yourself out if you spend too much time worrying about hypothetical scenarios

Reactions: 3 users
Personally I would go MD - keeps many doors open that the DO route doesn't. If your main concern is tuition, I would explore various repayment options.

Members don't see this ad :)
Get accepted to either and then come back. You are deciding between two schools you haven't even applied to yet.

Reactions: 2 users
Hello!! Im interested in applying for the PCSP pathway at lecom seton hill and was wondering if anyone would be willing to answer a couple questions:

1. Are my stats good enough to get in?

GPA: 3.82 MCAT: taking this Saturday but my practice tests are around 506 and I have stellar ECs and a publication in the Yale Journal of Medicine.

2. What is PCSP curriculum like?

3. I barely go to class bc i like learning everything and studying by myself. Would my style of studying be suitable for PCSP?

4. What is your day to day like? Do you like the program?

5. Do you feel extremely rushed in terms of board preparation?

6. I really want to do all my rotations in Pittsburgh. Is this easily possible for me to do and make happen? Also do you have to move for your rotations?

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out! This is a great community and it has given me so much!

Get all your acceptances and then figure out debt and location.

In the end, saving 50-100k at lecom >>>>> MD degree, especially if you are going into FM. Don't listen to the noise.

Except according to the surveys, something like 75-80% of med students change their minds on specialty choice during med school, so it would suck for OP to be locked into primary care if he changes his mind. And if he is able to opt out, now he’s at a DO school and at a disadvantage when trying to match anything outside of primary care.

Except according to the surveys, something like 75-80% of med students change their minds on specialty choice during med school, so it would suck for OP to be locked into primary care if he changes his mind. And if he is able to opt out, now he’s at a DO school and at a disadvantage when trying to match anything outside of primary care.

Yes, if he decides to do the three year FM program and ends up wanting to go into surgery, he has to pay and make up the difference I believe. Also would be hard to audition and get the appropriate LORs and exposure.

Otherwise, my statement about saving $$ is still accurate and the best advice. An MD degree is not worth $50k+ more in debt in a traditional 4 year degree unless you want to be that 0.1% going into high academic medicine. But as quoted above 80% chance that changes anyways. o_O

Yes, if he decides to do the three year FM program and ends up wanting to go into surgery, he has to pay and make up the difference I believe. Also would be hard to audition and get the appropriate LORs and exposure.

Otherwise, my statement about saving $$ is still accurate and the best advice. An MD degree is not worth $50k+ more in debt in a traditional 4 year degree unless you want to be that 0.1% going into high academic medicine. But as quoted above 80% chance that changes anyways. o_O

Yeah I agree with you that just having the MD is not worth turning down a free degree, it just seems like a risk given the likelihood that OP will change specialty choice. However, if op has a lot of experience like did primary care as a PA or something like that, then I’d say it’s definitely worth it because that sort of mitigates the risk of changing specialties.

Reactions: 1 user
It depends on what kind of primary care you want to do. If your plan is going to be the only doctor in town for miles then FM would be a good choice or want to treat children and adults. If you're only interested in adults then I would just cast your net broadly. Many IM programs have primary care tracks when you apply for residency.

I wouldn't have this limit you in terms of where you apply to medical school. You can become a PCP from any medical school (and both IM and FM). Many students change what they decide to specialize in during clinical years too as mentioned above. Personally I wouldn't want to be stuck in a pathway so early in my medical training.