Want to go to Africa?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MightyMoose

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just posted this in the Allo forum, but I know many of you don't go there, so I figured I would share this email I received at my university account here as well. This looks like a great opportunity that I wish I would have known about last year.

Here is the body of the email:

Would you like to spend the summer making a lasting impact on community health and development in rural villages insub-Saharan Africa? Have you always wanted to experience and learn about the culture of East Africa? If so, please consider applying to Uganda Village Project's summer program.

Uganda Village Project - a public health and development nonprofit in rural Uganda - is now accepting applications for its
2011 Summer Internship Program.

Our Mission: Uganda Village Project is a non-governmental organization (NGO) that collaborates with diverse partners on the design of sustainable rural health and development solutions through networking, advocacy and project innovation in the Iganga District, a rural area in eastern Uganda.

Interns will spend 8 weeks living and working in a village in rural Iganga District, Uganda, gaining experience in community education and public health while organizing education programs in the villages, assisting in planning and implementing health care and development oriented programs, and working in partnership with local NGOs and community groups which focus on issues such as sanitation, HIV/AIDS, nutrition, orphan and widow support, and reproductive health.

Applications are
due January 31, 2011.

Visit the UVP website to learn more about our programs:
..www.ugandavillageproject.org..
Click here to visit our
Summer Internship Center!

Uganda Village Project accepts adults ages 18 and over with an interest in medicine, public health, global health or international development. Applicants with previous experience in these areas, with previous experience working in the developing world, or with a demonstrated talent for languages, will be given special consideration. Visit our website and apply today!

For more information, please contact
.[email protected].....

Members don't see this ad.

As someone who volunteered Internationally to gain A) Medical Experience B) Travel experience and C) Humanitarian volunteer experience.... I HIGHLY recommend a trip like this. These trips are very expensive, but the experiences gained are priceless. If you are the type of person who likes to help the under served, its a good choice. If you are the type of person who wants to build their pre-med resume, this is a good choice. The only con about these trips is price

Just my two cents

Note: While I know nothing about the opportunity listed above, I STRONGLY recommend checking out multiple companies. There is a lot of scam companies that charge huge amounts and you get little experience in return.

As someone who volunteered Internationally to gain A) Medical Experience B) Travel experience and C) Humanitarian volunteer experience.... I HIGHLY recommend a trip like this. These trips are very expensive, but the experiences gained are priceless. If you are the type of person who likes to help the under served, its a good choice. If you are the type of person who wants to build their pre-med resume, this is a good choice. The only con about these trips is price

Just my two cents

Note: While I know nothing about the opportunity listed above, I STRONGLY recommend checking out multiple companies. There is a lot of scam companies that charge huge amounts and you get little experience in return.

I agree with the above, also I am not familiar with the above company other than the fact that it was sent out through my university's department of Public Health.

Here is their apparent estimated cost breakdown:

"Uganda Village Project charges a simple program fee that will cover your project-related expenses while you volunteer with us, plus a modest required fundraising amount. This program fee is based on the fixed costs of staying in Iganga such as lodging and project-related transport, and as such will be set on a project-by-project basis. Program fees in 2011 will be $1500 plus a $400 refundable deposit for all international project attendees, which we have found is similar to or less than other organizations offering comparable opportunities.
We have found that those who wish to fundraise for their program fee can do so, all it takes is motivation and a little bit of effort. Please realize that we feel fundraising for our project is an important obligation and hence it is a built-in part of your project fee upon acceptance to this project, as part of our effort to obtain high-quality interns who want to join us for the right reasons. We believe that our project cost is an excellent deal for volunteers who are looking for an amazing and meaningful experience in Africa.

Here is a sample budget to adjust according to your needs:

Program fee: $1500, plus $400 to be refunded on program completion
Airfare: $1600-$2200 depending on your depature airport and dates
Travel Items, mosquito net, money belt, permethrin spray, etc.: $100
Immunizations, if you do not have them, vary depending on your travel clinic:
Hepatitis A (series of 2) $50-$130
Yellow Fever $75-$100
Typhoid Oral $30-60
Antimalarial $20-$300 (varies based on which medication you choose)
Spending money for trips, souvenirs, and eating out: $200-$500 (more if going on safari)"

Check around and see if this one is a good fit for you. It doesn't look like they charge you for room and board, which I know quite a few of them do. The price looks reasonable to me, but I don't know the market.