want to know where you matched?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How exactly did you do this?
disconnect internet... open FF... enable offline browsing... then go to R3 a do the same like other did online before and you'll see... chances depend on your browser settings

Members don't see this ad.

you guys get the email?

"Earlier today the NRMP received notice that some Main Residency Match applicants were able to view their match results before the results were released if they right-clicked their Home Page in the Registration, Ranking, and Results (R3) system. "

Sounds to me like they're confirming that the info there was in fact accurate.

Reactions: 1 user
attachment.ashx

To Main Residency Match Participants:
Earlier today the NRMP received notice that some Main Residency Match applicants were able to view their match results before the results were released if they right-clicked their Home Page in the Registration, Ranking, and Results (R3) system. Immediately upon learning of this situation, we took steps to assure that this can no longer occur. We are investigating to determine how such premature access was possible.
No applicant was able to view the results of another applicant, and no applicant was able to view the personal information of another applicant. Match results for all applicants will be released on Friday, March 21, at 1:00 p.m. EDT. Please be assured that the validity of Match results was not affected.
If you have questions, please contact our Help Desk at [email protected] or by direct-dial telephone at 866-653-NRMP.
NRMP Staff
National Resident Matching Program®
2121 K Street NW, Suite 1000, Washington, DC 20037

-------------------------

i chose not to look. my wife and i want to be surprised. but for what it's worth, it's bunk that soap people find out sooner and we have to wait. i like tradition, but there's gotta be a better way... like a friday/monday turnaround

you guys get the email?

"Earlier today the NRMP received notice that some Main Residency Match applicants were able to view their match results before the results were released if they right-clicked their Home Page in the Registration, Ranking, and Results (R3) system. "

Wow, just wow! This is a bid deal, especially for the ones that did not get to see there match results. What kind of legal recourse would they have since the NRMP violated the contract?

Wow, just wow! This is a bid deal, especially for the ones that did not get to see there match results. What kind of legal recourse would they have since the NRMP violated the contract?

i dont think there's any legal recourse. the nrmp did not intentionally release the data. a minority of users (albeit a big minority) were able to access it. there's a difference. individuals who didn't want to know (myself included) were not subject to knowing. this falls into a gray 'in between' area.

Legal recourse? Are you kidding me?! Physicians rail against unfounded lawsuits and the litigious mentality of this country and you're worried about what the legal options are for people who missed out on a rare sneak peek? Lol. Life's not always fair, no need to consult a lawyer because of it.

Reactions: 12 users
Oh, an email has just been sent out. It states "Earlier today the NRMP received notice that some Main Residency Match applicants were able to view their match results before the results were released if they right-clicked their Home Page in the Registration, Ranking, and Results (R3) system. Immediately upon learning of this situation, we took steps to assure that this can no longer occur. We are investigating to determine how such premature access was possible. No applicant was able to view the results of another applicant, and no applicant was able to view the personal information of another applicant. Match results for all applicants will be released on Friday, March 21, at 1:00 p.m. EDT. Please be assured that the validity of Match results was not affected."

Edit: Oh nevermind, it's been posted.

Any idea how to access cached data from an iPad or iPhone?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, that is the takeaway: they are more or less confirming that people did see their match result. No BS about unreliable results, "don't trust it," etc.

The email was disingenuous about them trying to figure out what went wrong - they know exactly what happened: programmer error.

Reactions: 4 users
I missed the boat on this-gah. Is there any way to do the cached page trick people have mentioned if the last time I logged on to NMRP was when I entered my choices? not tech-saavy, sorry.

The thing I keep thinking about is, I wonder if you could have done this before Monday? Would it have had whether or not you matched, as well as the place? That would have been a mess for the NRMP.

I missed the boat on this-gah. Is there any way to do the cached page trick people have mentioned if the last time I logged on to NMRP was when I entered my choices? not tech-saavy, sorry.

I don't think NRMP made any changes to the website itself before the announcement on Monday of match status. So I would think you would have to have visited the webpage after the update and before they removed the code (so between yesterday at noon and today when the website went down) in order to see your match.

But you can certainly try.

kinda, yeah
May I ask why? Because you didn't like your match, because you sacrificed the surprise for match day, because of guilt, or other reasons? I'm curious as I definitely wanted to try it last night, but decided against.

I do not regret it. I do not like surprises anyways. I am pleased with my match, but my wife isn't. It allowed me to break it to her more easily rather than her being shocked when she sees it pop up on the computer screen on Friday. I hate having to keep it a secret from friends though because I do not plan on announcing until Friday.

Reactions: 1 users
I have NRMP in my cache from yesterday and am debating on whether or not to do this.... anyone know if the cache version still works?

Has anyone been trying to see if they can recover a cached version from Chrome? if you type chrome://cache into your browser you can see what Chrome has cached, and there are clearly elements from the r3 site when i logged in last night, but I can't get much further than that

It kind of sucks not having people to celebrate with (family isn't in town), but... 4 less days of anxiety and finding your result in private MORE than makes up for it. And I'll still celebrate Friday.

May I ask why? Because you didn't like your match, because you sacrificed the surprise for match day, because of guilt, or other reasons? I'm curious as I definitely wanted to try it last night, but decided against.
I'd say it's mostly because I was not totally thrilled about my match.

I hope this starts a long tradition of the NRMP getting hacked.

Reactions: 6 users
Has anyone been trying to see if they can recover a cached version from Chrome? if you type chrome://cache into your browser you can see what Chrome has cached, and there are clearly elements from the r3 site when i logged in last night, but I can't get much further than that

I played around with it for hours, but couldn't figure it out

"No applicant was able to view the results of another applicant, and no applicant was able to view the personal information of another applicant."

I'm not sure why this part of the email is even there. The entire ritual is one huge invasion of privacy. I don't even have the option of withholding my results, although at least I can skip the sideshow Friday and log in from home. (Haven't looked. Still debating whether to raid my cache.)

"No applicant was able to view the results of another applicant, and no applicant was able to view the personal information of another applicant."

I'm not sure why this part of the email is even there. The entire ritual is one huge invasion of privacy. I don't even have the option of withholding my results, although at least I can skip the sideshow Friday and log in from home. (Haven't looked. Still debating whether to raid my cache.)
I'm sure many applicants thought the NRMP was hacked. Especially those without much knowledge of computers.

In reality it was a very minor breach due to carelessness by the programmers. No hacking was involved, but once people see a ton of code they think the worse. I can only imagine the phone calls the NRMP guys got.

I'm not sure why this part of the email is even there.

Because I'd guess they read either this thread, or the thread on reddit, where a bunch of people expressed concerns about the security of their personal information?

I'm curious tho, if this hack worked for us....then could it have worked for PD's and maybe they got to see who matched at their program early too???

Reactions: 2 users
^^^that was exactly what my husband said...not that I can ask them right now :)

I'm curious tho, if this hack worked for us....then could it have worked for PD's and maybe they got to see who matched at their program early too???
Perhaps they could have, but I guarantee you that PDs don't have all the free time in the world (like an MSIV) to figure out where people matched before match day...

Perhaps they could have, but I guarantee you that PDs don't have all the free time in the world (like an MSIV) to figure out where people matched before match day...

I could have told you the answer if they hadn't shut the site down when they did. I was standing in my PC's office and told her about the whole thing; we def would have checked the site together if it hadn't been taken down already.

If your browser cached http://r3.nrmp.org/loginSuccess or http://r3.nrmp.org/userHome
at the right time then you might be able to see it.

The actual code is on the right side of the page in google chrome cache. However, a lot of times browsers are pre-set to not cache encrypted info so your bank info and other info doesn't end up sitting vulnerably in your cache.

Because I'd guess they read either this thread, or the thread on reddit, where a bunch of people expressed concerns about the security of their personal information?

Exactly. I rarely give out my SSN online and it is troubling to know that amateurs are in charge of protecting it. Called me paranoid but I'm not interested in spending a few months trying to 'get my identity back' when someone opens a bunch of credit cards, etc.

This is an absolute data security nightmare. As someone with experience in web development and database administration, there were multiple levels of failure (this might be a little techy):

1. The live database (connected to "web") contained the finalized data. This is a major design flaw, and huge security risk (to internal mistakes and external attack). The live db should not have time sensitive data until minutes/seconds before the deadline.
2. The status page queried ALL the data. Once the data is queried, it's vulnerable to exposure.
3. Relying on "hiding" plain-text data in javascript, always a bad idea.

Tsk tsk, at least they made match week memorable!

National governments and multibillion dollar corporations make careless errors in their web interfaces (and now apps) all the time. This really shouldn't surprise anyone unless you know almost nothing about computers. They don't operate on magic. Considering that the algorithm is likely at least a couple thousand lines of code, there's bound to be a mistake in there. The real question is if it's a relevant mistake that will lead to an error (as it did in this case) for the end-user.

You forget many medical students aren't very tech savvy, as you would think outside of typing and clicking on EMR on rotations. I was always amazed at the women who made it into medical school, who I swear couldn't even open an attachment without needing help. On the flip side, it's a great way to meet girls - helping a damsel in distress and all.

This is an absolute data security nightmare. As someone with experience in web development and database administration, there were multiple levels of failure (this might be a little techy):

1. The live database (connected to "web") contained the finalized data. This is a major design flaw, and huge security risk (to internal mistakes and external attack). The live db should not have time sensitive data until minutes/seconds before the deadline.
2. The status page queried ALL the data. Once the data is queried, it's vulnerable to exposure.
3. Relying on "hiding" plain-text data in javascript, always a bad idea.

Tsk tsk, at least they made match week memorable!

As someone with experience in web development, can you suggest a way to navigate Chrome's cache? :bow:

You forget many medical students aren't very tech savvy, as you would think outside of typing and clicking on EMR on rotations. I was always amazed at the women who made it into medical school, who I swear couldn't even open an attachment without needing help. On the flip side, it's a great way to meet girls - helping a damsel in distress and all.

I hope this ridiculous misogyny is just really a poorly executed attempt at deadpan. :eek:

Reactions: 1 users
I hope this ridiculous misogyny is just really a poorly executed attempt at deadpan. :eek:

It's an observation, not a judgement. All the guys in our class who were tech superstars in our class were men. I didn't say women weren't smart. Derm is full of ridiculously smart women.