Want to Practice Medicine in Switzerland. What's the Plan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ConradTheGreat

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I am starting medical school in America this Fall, and I am considering emergency medicine (potentially anesthesia or internal medicine as well) at the moment. Though I'll be graduating from medical school here, I want to live and practice medicine in Switzerland (Zurich or Geneva). I'm not sure what the best way to go about this is. Would it be better to do a residency here or do my training over there? Maybe I should finish residency here and then practice as a full-fledged physician in Switzerland. I know they don't really have emergency medicine over there. Also, I'm going to be a D.O. so that's probably another hurdle. If anyone has any experience with this, please let me know. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have direct experience with this, but I would take a step back if I were you since there are a lot of hurdles. First of all, I'm not sure of your nationality, but I'll assume American. Zurich and Geneva are two very different cities. Geneva speaks French, Zurich speaks German. Specifically, Zurich speaks Zurich German which is very different from Standard German. When I was in Germany (Berlin) there was a TV interview with a Swiss Soccer player and none of the Germans in the room could adequately understand him. Secondly, I don't think Switzerland recognizes USDOs as physicians (they may be allowed to practice OMM, but not medicine similar to France). I also don't think they even allow non-Swiss, non-EU trained MDs to practice in Switzerland. I think the exception to this is if you are a Swiss citizen, however, gaining Swiss citizenship is a massive hurdle in and of itself. You must first gain citizenship to a town and then you can apply for the country. But many towns make it very difficult for foreigners to gain citizenship. You have to know all about that specific town's history and customs.

Again, I have no experience with this, however, I did German Studies in undergrad and the only times we talked about Switzerland were in relation to their strange immigration laws. I wish you the best with your dreams.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't have direct experience with this, but I would take a step back if I were you since there are a lot of hurdles. First of all, I'm not sure of your nationality, but I'll assume American. Zurich and Geneva are two very different cities. Geneva speaks French, Zurich speaks German. Specifically, Zurich speaks Zurich German which is very different from Standard German. When I was in Germany (Berlin) there was a TV interview with a Swiss Soccer player and none of the Germans in the room could adequately understand him. Secondly, I don't think Switzerland recognizes USDOs as physicians (they may be allowed to practice OMM, but not medicine similar to France). I also don't think they even allow non-Swiss, non-EU trained MDs to practice in Switzerland. I think the exception to this is if you are a Swiss citizen, however, gaining Swiss citizenship is a massive hurdle in and of itself. You must first gain citizenship to a town and then you can apply for the country. But many towns make it very difficult for foreigners to gain citizenship. You have to know all about that specific town's history and customs.

Again, I have no experience with this, however, I did German Studies in undergrad and the only times we talked about Switzerland were in relation to their strange immigration laws. I wish you the best with your dreams.

Wow, thank you for the amazing response! I understand it is one of the most difficult countries to gain entrance to, but I'll still do my best. I'll have to do more research into it before anything else.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am also a DO student interested in practicing in Switzerland. I've been planning my European escape for 2 years now and it just seems like there is no way I'll be able to go there. If you find anything out, please comment here. I have considered reaching out to an MD mill Caribbean school for an MD just to bypass this but the above poster made it seem even less likely it'll be possible with citizenship complications and since I didn't train at a European school. I'm with you, man.

Go to school in Switzerland is the best way to ultimately practice there. That’s true for every physician though. Train in the country you want to practice

Reactions: 1 users
I think the language hurdle alone would be a huge issue with Switzerland. I would just finish medical school first and see where you end up residency wise because you certainly don’t want to venture into another country as a GP.

If the virus allows, try to get an international rotation for a few months but I’m not sure it would be possible in Switzerland.

Last edited: