Wanting to do my residency in Texas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

texasdude8917

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am currently applying to medical school and it seems as if I will be going out of state for medical school. I have been accepted into Kansas City University and I just interviewed at Rowan University (both are D.O schools). Both are amazing schools. My concern is that I want to end up doing a residency in Texas.

KCU matched about 20 people in Texas last year while Rowan only had 1. I am not sure if that is because they did not match to a Texas school or they just did not apply to Texas residencies. That being said, should I base my decision on which school to attend off of this information? Or should I not worry about matching in Texas based off the schools match list? Any information would be great!

Edit: I am currently a Texas resident.

Members don't see this ad.

You need to go to Kansas City. It is an established school. I am a DO and I have never heard of Rowan College. Oklahoma State is expanding to 150 students. It is worth a try now at least. Apply there, too.

You need to go to Kansas City. It is an established school. I am a DO and I have never heard of Rowan College. Oklahoma State is expanding to 150 students. It is worth a try now at least. Apply there, too.
Rowan recently changed it's name. It used to be the UMDNJ-SOM...which you probably have heard of. But I agree that KCU-COM is a better option for someone who wants to stay in TX.

Members don't see this ad :)
KCU better known. Has a good curriculum. Its a solid choice. Rowan is a state school, so its got that going for it, but for your goals and in general, KCU is better.

I disagree. Rowan is one of the best schools in the country. Many of our faculty members at TCOM, esp in FM and OMM departments, are from Rowan. The reason so few graduating students end up in Texas is because NJ is already very DO friendly, so why leave their home state? That said, KCU is also a very good school, a tad expensive though. Go to the school that's cheapest but apply to them both.

I’d go with Rowan. Both are great schools but Rowan is a state school with more support. They both have good rotations. It’s personal choice. Plus kcu just increased their class size recently If I remember but idk to which size

Rowan has mandatory in class attendance. Pass!!!

Reactions: 7 users
Just because you haven't doesn't mean it isn't one of the oldest most established schools with state support.
Rowan has mandatory in class attendance. Pass!!!
This alone is good enough to pass on this school

Reactions: 1 user
At the interview I had this past week, they said 95% of classes are not mandatory. And KCU is much cheaper! 44k compared to 62k at Rowan.

Also, thanks everyone for your input :)

At the interview I had this past week, they said 95% of classes are not mandatory. And KCU is much cheaper! 44k compared to 62k at Rowan.

Also, thanks everyone for your input :)

Yeah??? Why don't you ask Rowan students here right now? According to the second year students here, it's a lie. It might not technically be mandatory, but you just don't get online streaming so you have to be in class in order to understand the tested materials.

Just because you haven't doesn't mean it isn't one of the oldest most established schools with state support.

This was originally posted in general residency, which I am well past at this point. I wouldn’t have guessed that the school in New Jersey would change their name to something unrelated to medicine. Same issue will happen with residency directors in Texas, I promise.

Last edited:
This was originally posted in general residency, which I am well past at this point. I wouldn’t have guessed that the school in New Jersey would change their name to something unrelated to medicine. Same issue will happen with residency directors in Texas, I promise.
I'm not going to say that you're wrong because people like that exist, but there are also residency directors that take their job seriously and keep up with what's going on about universities. The entire UMDNJ system was split apart, and Rowan has an MD school. That's pretty big news that a PD should know about.

Just remember --- if it's KCUMB, Dr. Putthoff of TCOM fame and legend will be your path professor ----BWHAHAHAHA......get ready to read all 1500 pages of Robbins complete down to figures and asterisks on figures looking at 3rd order questions.......hehehehe ---

I've heard Dubin left KCUMB but I think Putthoff is still there --

Yeah??? Why don't you ask Rowan students here right now? According to the second year students here, it's a lie. It might not technically be mandatory, but you just don't get online streaming so you have to be in class in order to understand the tested materials.

I don’t believe that’s true. Unless they changed their curriculum, my friend at Rowan (3rd year) said they had no mandatory attendance and he streamed the lectures. My friend from their MBS program said their lectures were mostly streamed. Unless they changed it in the last two years or so?