Washington State University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hamilton32

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Did a search and didn't find a thread for this year so I thought I'd start one. Who else is applying here?

Members don't see this ad.

I am applying here as well! Submitted my pharmcas app a couple weeks ago and now working on their supplementals...

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying too. I haven't submitted my pharmcas, but I've started working on their supplementals.

I am applying but not doing ED. Keeping my options open but WSU is my number one because I am doing my undergrad there.

Sent in my pharmcas on september 1, 2013. The early decision deadline was septembe 3, 2013. Pharmcas calculated my gpa on september 9, 2013 and mailed my application on september 11, 2013. I got a response from WSU for an interview on september 12, 2013.

Sent in my pharmcas on september 1, 2013. The early decision deadline was septembe 3, 2013. Pharmcas calculated my gpa on september 9, 2013 and mailed my application on september 11, 2013. I got a response from WSU for an interview on september 12, 2013.

Congrats! Freaked me out until I realized you were ED. Good luck on your interview.

I was just perusing the wsu site and noticed they changed their min gpa from 3.0 to 2.7 and it says your pcat composite is not used in ranking but they will rank you based on your writing.

This probably won't be good for me. I have a great composite score but writing on the spot is not easy for me. I know one of my essays was good and the other sucked. I took my pcat Sept 3 so I won't know for a few more weeks...:bang:

I also just saw that they changed grading and testing to a block honors-satisfactory-fail system. Can anybody elaborate on how this works?

I'm actually in Spokane, which is real close to WSU. My grades are ineligible because I did my courses in Germany. Washistr Hochschule Pharmaceuticum. I would say that the honors pass fail is much like when I was in Conservatoire for music, it's either do seventy percent or forget it. Hope that helps.
Greg CPhT

Hey I applied for ED and I have an interview on Oct 11 - what are you doing to prep for interviews?

Hey I applied for ED and I have an interview on Oct 11 - what are you doing to prep for interviews?

There are pages somewhere on this forum that list paet questions each school has used. I plan on using those. Also I need to get up to date on the pharmacy world. Some schools like to know you have an opinion about current events.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are pages somewhere on this forum that list paet questions each school has used. I plan on using those. Also I need to get up to date on the pharmacy world. Some schools like to know you have an opinion about current events.

Could you link to those if you find them?

I applied ED and have an interview oct. 11.
I've talked to a couple recent grads and a few current students and they said the interview questions are pretty standard, why pharmacy, why wsu, how do you decide who to give flu shots in a shortage, hobbies, regret, where do you see yourself in five years.

That is good to hear. WSU is my number one. I am already a student there.

I just received an interview here for December 6th as a regular applicant. Pretty excited.

I also just saw that they changed grading and testing to a block honors-satisfactory-fail system. Can anybody elaborate on how this works?

Interviewed yesterday and got accepted.
Honors satisfactory fail is pretty standard to how med schools do it. It's just like it sounds, you get rated into those three categories.
The block testing is you get tested in every subject every other wednesday. If you fail (<80%[90% for certain classes]) then the next testing two weeks out you retake it. If you fail again then you have one more chance during finals week to retake it. You fail the 3rd time and you have to retake the class. It basically enforces constant learning rather than binge and purge type studying methods. One plus is that if you don't have any tests to retake then you don't have finals.

Honors satisfactory fail is pretty standard to how med schools do it. It's just like it sounds, you get rated into those three categories.
The block testing is you get tested in every subject every other wednesday. If you fail (<80%[90% for certain classes]) then the next testing two weeks out you retake it. If you fail again then you have one more chance during finals week to retake it. You fail the 3rd time and you have to retake the class. It basically enforces constant learning rather than binge and purge type studying methods. One plus is that if you don't have any tests to retake then you don't have finals.

Interviewed yesterday and got accepted too

Interviewed yesterday and got accepted too

Congratulations!

Finishing my supplemental app today hopefully its not too late since I heard WSU does rolling admissions. I am also having a hard time finding schools that offer mammalian physiology which is a weird pre req that is required. I live in the Seattle area and Ive searched most community colleges around here. None of the schools offers that course besides UW. Any suggestions?

I am a wsu student. They will take washington community college Anatomy anf physiology combined classes. I took biology 241 & 242 at a community college

Finishing my supplemental app today hopefully its not too late since I heard WSU does rolling admissions. I am also having a hard time finding schools that offer mammalian physiology which is a weird pre req that is required. I live in the Seattle area and Ive searched most community colleges around here. None of the schools offers that course besides UW. Any suggestions?

Hey there, do you only need "mammalian physiology" portion of "Human Anatomy & Mammalian Physiology" pre-req?
You can take two quarters of Anatomy & Physiology series at community colleges in Seattle to satisfy Human Anatomy and Mammalian Physiology prereq (Biology 241 and 242 as cuddlefish mentioned above.)
I'm asking if you just need physiology portion because I took tons of physiology classes during undergrad but no anatomy class so tried to ask if I can only take one quarter of A&P (first quarter usually focuses on Anatomy portion) but the admissions office said I had to take both quarters since certain information are tied together throughout two quarters.

I just received an interview invitation for November 6th.
I heard from other people that we are going to be tested on writing on the interview day..
Can anyone who already had an interview give some details of how the interview was like?
And do you think interview invitation means about 80% getting in already?
I'm so scared. Don't know what to prepare for!
Also according to people above who got accepted, they tell you if you got accepted
a day after the interview? that's so quick

Hey there, do you only need "mammalian physiology" portion of "Human Anatomy & Mammalian Physiology" pre-req?
You can take two quarters of Anatomy & Physiology series at community colleges in Seattle to satisfy Human Anatomy and Mammalian Physiology prereq (Biology 241 and 242 as cuddlefish mentioned above.)
I'm asking if you just need physiology portion because I took tons of physiology classes during undergrad but no anatomy class so tried to ask if I can only take one quarter of A&P (first quarter usually focuses on Anatomy portion) but the admissions office said I had to take both quarters since certain information are tied together throughout two quarters.

I have taken 2 quarters of A&P so I guess I should be good to go. I thought mammalian physiology was a completely different class. Thanks for the response.

Congrats on getting accepted. How was the interview? I heard that you need to write an essay is that true? And what questions did they ask you?

Withdrew from my interview. Hope someone else gets it!

Hi for those who got accepted from WSU, how long did the school give you the acceptance letter after your interview? Thanks :)
I got an interview from WSU too, really excited. I am actually from out of state, and I have heard it is really pretty there,

I am in state. I live a couple hours from campus. Spokane is pretty I guess. Its a large city but very spread out.

Hi for those who got accepted from WSU, how long did the school give you the acceptance letter after your interview? Thanks :)
I got an interview from WSU too, really excited. I am actually from out of state, and I have heard it is really pretty there,
Last year they accepted people at the interview, a day later, or a month later.

I had the early admissions, so I don't know if the process is any different at the rolling admissions. There was no writing or any other test in the interview process. It took around 2.5-3 hours total. We did a group tour for around half an hour and then split off into individual interviews. The interview itself was about 20-30 minutes and consisted of a professor and a student ambassador interviewing you. After all that is said and done you're all brought together again for any more questions or discussion and then they pull you out one by one for individual exit interviews with a WSU grad.
It is a very relaxed process and everyone is really nice. At early admission there was a lot of people who got same day acceptances, but I wouldn't expect very many for rolling admissions.
And do you think interview invitation means about 80% getting in already?
No, WSU is very big on a close-knit/family atmosphere. Getting an interview invite means you meet the qualifications for the program, but a big portion of it is how personable you are and if you would be a good fit in that college. It's the next four years of your life, and they want to make sure it will be a good fit for both parties.

@greedygoose I took a couple classes on the Vancouver campus last summer. One was chem 347. There were a ton if pre pharmies in there. Were you one of them?

So let me get this straight. Is taking a year-long (two semesters) Human Anatomy and Physiology course with lab acceptable as credit for "Mammalian" Physiology? Im guessing its the same thing, but just to be clear.

I just received an interview for January 11th! :) Who's all going to be there?

@greedygoose I took a couple classes on the Vancouver campus last summer. One was chem 347. There were a ton if pre pharmies in there. Were you one of them?
If by last summer you mean like 4 months ago then yes. I'm the red headed guy. I was in the Tuesday/Thursday lab, but I went to the Monday/Wednesday one once or twice.

So let me get this straight. Is taking a year-long (two semesters) Human Anatomy and Physiology course with lab acceptable as credit for "Mammalian" Physiology? Im guessing its the same thing, but just to be clear.
That's what mine is. Bio351 for anatomy and bio354 for physiology. Both have labs.
I called the admissions office before this semester started to ask if it qualified, because two years ago they changed the anatomy class at my campus. If I recall correctly they said it needs to be an upper division (300-400 level) anatomy class with a lab to qualify.

If by last summer you mean like 4 months ago then yes. I'm the red headed guy. I was in the Tuesday/Thursday lab, but I went to the Monday/Wednesday one once or twice.
Yeah I was in the TTh lab too. My husband was as well. Congrats on getting in! We are interviewing on the 6th.

I have an interview on the 6th also. Pretty excited.

Interview tomorrow! Doenst seem like many sdn people are interested in wsu.I wonder how many people are intervewing tomorrow...

My friend is in his

Your instincts are right. My friend is in his 1st year there and actually told me the school doesn't have enough applicants.

Not enough applicants??? That's crazy! I wonder why that is?

Interview tomorrow! Doenst seem like many sdn people are interested in wsu.I wonder how many people are intervewing tomorrow...

I am so maybe I will see you there. I went to open house yesterday and have another tour today. So far everyone has been friendly and the new facility is really nice.

I would have liked to go to the tour today but I have to do a presentation tomorrow morning in my biochem class before I drive up to Spokane

I made a facebook group for class of 2018. Washington State University College of Pharmacy class of 2018.

I made a facebook group for class of 2018. Washington State University College of Pharmacy class of 2018.

I got accepted yesterday too! Do you mind posting the link? I wasn't able to find it when I searched it :)