1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. We will be performing maintenance on the SDN forums on Friday, December 9 at 5:00 AM Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Waste to Retake AAMC Exams?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by ymartino, 09.30.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. ymartino

ymartino

Pre-Medical
    Is it a waste to retake previous AAMC exams? I took AAMC #7 and scored a demoralizing 23. I know I must review my mistakes, but would it be a waste to retake the exact same exam in say 2-3 weeks? I don't want to simply memorize the correct answer and get an inflated score, but I also don't want to repeat my mistakes. What's your opinion?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. justadream

justadream 5+ Year Member

Take it if you want to see if you really understood whether you now understand the concepts in the passages but don't put any faith into your score (even if you got 144/144 = 45, that means absolutely nothing).

ymartino likes this.
  4. Aerus

Aerus Elemental Alchemist 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    hSDN
    hSDN
    Alumni
    No, it's a waste. Instead, do intense post-phrasing and go over in depth all the questions you missed, why you missed them, then do practice problems and passages related to the topics that you missed. There's better things to use your time with that retaking questions and passages that you've already seen.

5. ymartino

ymartino

Pre-Medical
    Alright, thanks for your input. Also, when getting a question wrong, what do you recommend is the best way to ensure you understand it? I so often times read the question and think "Oh, it was a silly misunderstanding" or "I just phrased in wrong in my head", when I may actually not understand it at all. Or worse, I will review it, tell myself I will never make the mistake again only to make the mistake again another several times.

Also, do you review multiple times your wrong Q's and A's? I write all my wrong answers in a notebook and their explanations, but after looking at it that particular day, I never really review it again.

About the ads