Waterloo Class of 2022 application thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted853480

I wanted to start this thread. Post your stats

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Current Education Level: 5th year student in Life Sciences (University of Toronto Mississauga - Class of 2018)
OAT Score: TS: 370 / AA: 360
GPA: 82%
Optometry Experience: Job shadowed an optometrist for around 100 hours; worked at an optometry clinic for 71 hours so far
EC: Coach for competitive swimming for 5 years, math tutoring for 5 years, part of a dance group for 7 years, potential publication submitted to a journal of zoology, TA for a biology course, medical comparison program in Peru

??? We'll see

Does anyone know if Waterloo looks at your AA or TS score for the OAT?

Members don't see this ad :)

Reactions: 1 users
They don't consider AA because, they don't put it on your application.
Actually, all scores are automatically included on your application. They can see your AA, TS and individual section scores. But I have heard that they most heavily consider your TS score.

Current Education Level: completed 5 yr Biopsych at UVic but taking 2 remaining prereqs
OAT Score: TS: 370 / AA: 360
GPA: 7.45/9 so ~83%
Optometry Experience: couple of hours of shadowing
EC: varsity, volunteer coaching (6yrs), volunteering and working with teens with disabilities (200hrs volunteer), dean's list, honour roll, distinction

Kind of nervous about my lack of optometry experience but when I was searching old forums I did see someone who got accepted with only 1 days worth of shadowing

Hey everyone I am wondering if any of you know the answer to this.

on the AIF it asks if you've taken 5 courses a term for 6 terms and to explain why if you didn't. Did anyone answer yes to this, and if so what form of documentation did you send to their office? I didn't take that many classes because I was playing varsity.. I've emailed but last time I emailed it took them a fair amount of time to reply about a prereq

Hey everyone I am wondering if any of you know the answer to this.

on the AIF it asks if you've taken 5 courses a term for 6 terms and to explain why if you didn't. Did anyone answer yes to this, and if so what form of documentation did you send to their office? I didn't take that many classes because I was playing varsity.. I've emailed but last time I emailed it took them a fair amount of time to reply about a prereq

Normally, a full time course load (5 courses plus labs) is required for a minimum of 6 terms for admission. If there are extenuating circumstances as to why you were not able to take a full course load for a term, then you should use the space provided to explain. Documentation would include a doctor's letter or other proof as to why you were not able to take a full course load. Not sure though how it works if you have multiple terms without a full course load.

From UW's FAQ's:
Q: Is it necessary that I take a full course load every term in order to be considered for admission?
A: The School looks for full time study (five courses per term every term) for a minimum of 6 terms, in the Faculty of Science. The optometry program has an extremely heavy course load. There are 5, 6 or 7 courses, each term, in many years of the program. The School is looking for proven ability to handle a full five course load science program. If students have a difficult time taking five courses, then 7 will really be a challenge!

Does anyone know how many applicants they will interview?

Has anyone gotten an interview email yet? The nerves are starting to kick in because there are only 2 weeks left and one of my references still hasn't completed the form :(

Has anyone gotten an interview email yet? The nerves are starting to kick in because there are only 2 weeks left and one of my references still hasn't completed the form :(
I think it's still early, based on last year's forum, they received invites on monday nov 21st and 28th/29th. So it's possible that we start hearing back next week! Also, about your reference letter, just keep reminding your referee to finish it! You should be good as long as it is submitted before nov 30

Yeah, on the website they say that they start letting people know in the week of November 30th! I'm in the same boat, I'm still waiting for my character

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's still early, based on last year's forum, they received invites on monday nov 21st and 28th/29th. So it's possible that we start hearing back next week! Also, about your reference letter, just keep reminding your referee to finish it! You should be good as long as it is submitted before nov 30
Yeah I've been reminding them every few days LOL and I remember I read in some past year's forums that they started inviting applicants earlier and I believe they have a rolling admission so I'm just paranoid that once they hit a certain number of interviewees they'll stop looking at the later applicants. Hopefully not though, thanks for your response! :)

Yeah I've been reminding them every few days LOL and I remember I read in some past year's forums that they started inviting applicants earlier and I believe they have a rolling admission so I'm just paranoid that once they hit a certain number of interviewees they'll stop looking at the later applicants. Hopefully not though, thanks for your response! :)

LOL that's the best way to do it tbh, and I don't think waterloo's system is rolling admission based. It's different than the OD schools in the states, if it was rolling admissions, then some people who applied in aug/sep would have probably already got a response. I think they look at all of our stats together after the application deadline and send out 2 or 3 waves of interview invitations! either way we should hear back soon :)

LOL that's the best way to do it tbh, and I don't think waterloo's system is rolling admission based. It's different than the OD schools in the states, if it was rolling admissions, then some people who applied in aug/sep would have probably already got a response. I think they look at all of our stats together after the application deadline and send out 2 or 3 waves of interview invitations! either way we should hear back soon :)
I hope that's true! It's just that the website says November 30th is the deadline to get your references in and then BY December 1st everyone will have received an email... so it's just odd to me that they'll review all applications and make decisions within a day?

I hope that's true! It's just that the website says November 30th is the deadline to get your references in and then BY December 1st everyone will have received an email... so it's just odd to me that they'll review all applications and make decisions within a day?
I doubt they review all applications and make a decision within a day. They’re probabaly reviewing and compiling applications right now as we speak. Think about what you just said lol. Plus, not a lot of people would probably wait till the last day to submit stuff.

As Brisks mentioned, they won't make a decision in 1 day. For interview invitations, I think they pick applicants based heavily on OAT and avg, then once they have narrowed the pool to ~half, they'd use the reference letters to pick the 90 students who get accepted (along with the interview+app of course). Last year, a friend of mine got an interview even though he only had 1 letter submitted at the time. His second reference was submitted AFTER he got the invite but before Nov 30 deadline!

As Brisks mentioned, they won't make a decision in 1 day. For interview invitations, I think they pick applicants based heavily on OAT and avg, then once they have narrowed the pool to ~half, they'd use the reference letters to pick the 90 students who get accepted (along with the interview+app of course). Last year, a friend of mine got an interview even though he only had 1 letter submitted at the time. His second reference was submitted AFTER he got the invite but before Nov 30 deadline!
Yeah exactly, that's what I assumed happened, which is why I mentioned
I doubt they review all applications and make a decision within a day. They’re probabaly reviewing and compiling applications right now as we speak. Think about what you just said lol. Plus, not a lot of people would probably wait till the last day to submit stuff.
No need to be condescending, haha. I was implying that it was unrealistic of them to review applications in one day since someone previously said that it didn't matter when you got your references in as long as it was before November 30th - even though all emails are sent by December 1st. But as quickmaths said, I guess they don't really focus on the references as much so they can send out an interview even before both references are in, which makes sense. So it's all good :) Thanks for your responses everyone! Best of luck!

does anyone know whether they email you or say on quest that you got an interview? thanks in advance

does anyone know whether they email you or say on quest that you got an interview? thanks in advance
They email you for sure but I'm not sure if your status on Quest changes.

Normally, a full time course load (5 courses plus labs) is required for a minimum of 6 terms for admission. If there are extenuating circumstances as to why you were not able to take a full course load for a term, then you should use the space provided to explain. Documentation would include a doctor's letter or other proof as to why you were not able to take a full course load. Not sure though how it works if you have multiple terms without a full course load.

From UW's FAQ's:
Q: Is it necessary that I take a full course load every term in order to be considered for admission?
A: The School looks for full time study (five courses per term every term) for a minimum of 6 terms, in the Faculty of Science. The optometry program has an extremely heavy course load. There are 5, 6 or 7 courses, each term, in many years of the program. The School is looking for proven ability to handle a full five course load science program. If students have a difficult time taking five courses, then 7 will really be a challenge!

Thanks! I ended up having to get a letter from the athletics department and I had to send it to myapplication@waterloo in order for it to be attached to my application.

On another note, got an interview!!

Got an interview! Good luck everyone! :D

Interviews are out!

Current Education Level: completed Honours BSc
OAT Score: TS: 360 / AA: 360
GPA: low 90's
Optometry Experience: Currently work as a manager in a lab researching pediatric ocular diseases, worked for ~1 year as an optometric assistant in an ocular oncology unit in a large hospital, international optometry service trips, about 100 hours of shadowing
EC: Lots of research experience (three thesis projects, summer studentships, won some large grants), CNIB, undergrad optometry club, volunteered in a hospital, karate

I’m speechless, congrats everyone!! I got my interview too!

YAS got my interview as well! Congratulations everyone :')

I got an interview as well!!! congrats everyone :)

Does anyone know how long the interview is and how many interviewers there are?

Did anyone not get a interview? It looks like everyone on this thread got one. Maybe we are all high grade applicants?

Did anyone not get a interview? It looks like everyone on this thread got one. Maybe we are all high grade applicants?
Well I only know 2 other people that applied to Waterloo optom but they didn't get an interview invite.

Guyss, is the interview only 12 minutes long?! That's what it says in the package they sent. And is it just a standard interview, since casper's replacing the mmi?

Guyss, is the interview only 12 minutes long?! That's what it says in the package they sent. And is it just a standard interview, since casper's replacing the mmi?

Where does it say its 12 minutes long? Which package are you talking about, was it supposed to be sent in the email with the interview invite?

Where does it say its 12 minutes long? Which package are you talking about, was it supposed to be sent in the email with the interview invite?
Yea, it was emailed to us after the interview invite email. It's on the 9th page of the package; the slide's titled Introduction. It says there's a 12 minute interview, a 50 minute round table discussion and a 50 minute tour of the School.

Happy new year guys. Hopefully we all get into Waterloo optometry!!

Does anyone know what to expect from the 50 minute round table discussion? I believe we're allowed to have our guests present for that right? Is it just an information session basically or will they be assessing us in any way?

Does anyone know what to expect from the 50 minute round table discussion? I believe we're allowed to have our guests present for that right? Is it just an information session basically or will they be assessing us in any way?

It's fairly informal and is in no way an assessment. It's basically an opportunity to learn about the school/student life and ask questions to current students if you have any. They have a slide show with different presenters and then open it up to questions at the end!

does anyone know how to send your transcript for the past semester? thanks!

The hard part is over! Good job everyone! How do y’all think you did?

I definitely thought the interview was more like a conversation! I felt pretty at ease the whole time :')

Reactions: 4 users
Not sure if they take into account the fall grades, they might be using them to make sure people completed the prereqs if any are taken that semester.
In terms of OAT, I remember I emailed them to ask and they said they use TS not AA. They said the avg oat score they have on their website is TS not AA, but they look at all the individual scores to be more than 300!

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone know whether they take into account Fall 2017 grades in the admission process?
Also, when they look at your OAT grade do they look at TS or AA? Because I know the average grade for OAT last cycle was about 370 according to their website.
I heard that they do take in the fall 2017 marks into consideration! but obviously they dont release that information, so no one really knows 100%

Anyone know whether they take into account Fall 2017 grades in the admission process?
Also, when they look at your OAT grade do they look at TS or AA? Because I know the average grade for OAT last cycle was about 370 according to their website.
I don't know for sure but I think they'll look at your Fall 2017 grades just to make sure that you've kept your average up (it's a chance for you to show that your grades have improved maybe). Maybe similar reason to why they want to see your 2018 grades if you're accepted (to make sure you didn't completely slack off or something).