Waterloo Class of 2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any additional tips in preparing for the casper test? Mine is this week and I'm feeling nervous. I have went over sample questions and responses, did the practice test on their website and also went over some tips and scenarios videos on youtube.
Does anyone have any idea how the CASPer test results impact their decision process? (is it equal weight with everything else, or more/less and does it affect interview chances or is it more used during admission decisions after interviews)

I'm terrified of doing poorly on it :nailbiting:

I hope you guys did well and you feel a little bit of relief now that it's done. In term of how they utilize CASPer results, I've heard a few different versions of the story. I've read on a thread once that some medical schools are not using it for consideration yet but only to draw correlations between successful applicants and their CASPer score, and that is for the purpose of confirming that the CASPer test is a good measurement for a suitable candidate before they decide to implement it. @SashaYU has also told me that SALUS university ( I think) uses CASPer score not for admission but for rotation placement, meaning that if you scored low on your CASPer, you may be required to attend lectures regarding patient interactions to boost your skills before putting it to practice. When I watched some BeMo videos, they said that CASPer was heavily weighted, which I'm skeptical about. Nevertheless, lets keep our fingers crossed and our mind open and don't think worse case scenario just yet. (I never practice what I preach btw:1poop:)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I hope you guys did well and you feel a little bit of relief now that it's done. In term of how they utilize CASPer results, I've heard a few different versions of the story. I've read on a thread once that some medical schools are not using it for consideration yet but only to draw correlations between successful applicants and their CASPer score, and that is for the purpose of confirming that the CASPer test is a good measurement for a suitable candidate before they decide to implement it. @SashaYU has also told me that SALUS university ( I think) uses CASPer score not for admission but for rotation placement, meaning that if you scored low on your CASPer, you may be required to attend lectures regarding patient interactions to boost your skills before putting it to practice. When I watched some BeMo videos, they said that CASPer was heavily weighted, which I'm skeptical about. Nevertheless, lets keep our fingers crossed and our mind open and don't think worse case scenario just yet. (I never practice what I preach btw:1poop:)
Thanks for your reply! Yeah I've read forums about schools just using CASPer rn to draw correlations but i wasn't sure if Waterloo had been using the CASPer long enough to start implementing it into their admission decisions or not, I guess we will never know tho. That's interesting about how SALUS might be using CASPer!! and yeah I watched those BeMo videos too but also think it might be a way for them to convince people to pay for their prep but idk

and yeah i feel that! once AIFs are in it just becomes a waiting game...

I agree. Im glad that its done now, now I just need to finish submitting my AIFs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just had a question about AIFs. For question 13, do we list all the other courses on our transcript from first year until now? Also for question 14, can we include dean's list?

I just had a question about AIFs. For question 13, do we list all the other courses on our transcript from first year until now? Also for question 14, can we include dean's list?
Yup! All courses that are not prereqs should be listed, including the ones that are currently in-progress (like, you're currently enrolled into the course for the Fall term). Question 14 is all academic awards, including distinctions, so Dean's List would def qualify! Good Luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Yup! All courses that are not prereqs should be listed, including the ones that are currently in-progress (like, you're currently enrolled into the course for the Fall term). Question 14 is all academic awards, including distinctions, so Dean's List would def qualify! Good Luck!
Thanks so much!

I went to submit my AIF and it says i need to enter a grade for the lab component of the pre req courses. Do I just put the same grade as its course? For example Intro Bio 1 I put in a grade, but i did not input anything for Intro Bio 1 LAB because it indicated only if separate.

I went to submit my AIF and it says i need to enter a grade for the lab component of the pre req courses. Do I just put the same grade as its course? For example Intro Bio 1 I put in a grade, but i did not input anything for Intro Bio 1 LAB because it indicated only if separate.
I think if they aren't separate grades we repeat out grade/course code in both slots but maybe call to confirm!

Alright because its not allowing me to submit when I leave that section blank.
Waterloo sent us a link to a website for all questions and info for filling out the AIF- it says that we can't leave any section blank on the Academic record section. So, if you don't have a separate lab grade, you still input all the info for that prereq row, but for the grade portion, you input "NA". Hope that helps!

Waterloo sent us a link to a website for all questions and info for filling out the AIF- it says that we can't leave any section blank on the Academic record section. So, if you don't have a separate lab grade, you still input all the info for that prereq row, but for the grade portion, you input "NA". Hope that helps!

Thank you!

Hi!
Oh boy oh boy I wish I could one day say i'll be class of 2024, but its hard not to doubt yourself when your stats are just mediocre. Here it is
GPA: ~81
OAT: TS 370, AA 360
I'm a licensed optician. Lots of experience in the field. Worked hand in hand with 4 optometrists. Some leadership roles in school. Lots of optometry related volunteering and not. Received scholarships and a few none academic awards.

Currently in 4th year undergrad. Screwed up my 2nd year thats why my GPA is low. Writing my CASPer Oct 17. Fingers crossed.

EDIT: SEPTEMBER 17!!! not October 17... my bad
Wow! I didn’t think another licensed optician would be applying! That’s so exciting! I was hoping that being licensed would help my chances just due to the sheer exposure we have to the field and all the extra knowledge on glasses we have. Do you think it will help your application to be licensed? How long have you been licensed?

Wow! I didn’t think another licensed optician would be applying! That’s so exciting! I was hoping that being licensed would help my chances just due to the sheer exposure we have to the field and all the extra knowledge on glasses we have. Do you think it will help your application to be licensed? How long have you been licensed?

What a pleasant coincidence! I've been licensed since 2014 and have been working as an optician since then (and a student optician prior to). I have my share of skepticism regarding the level of advantage it gives me. I think being an optician is good indication that we know the field well, and that we know exactly what we are in for. Thus, admissions may see it as insurance that we are more likely to see the program through. It also shows passion for the profession and the desire to better ourselves. However, will it place my application above someone with a better GPA, more extracurricular activities, extensive volunteering experience? It's hard to say. That's my thoughts for my application specifically. How about you?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi ! For optomcas there was a character limit including spaces for the extracurricular/volunteer positions. The AIF mentioned a 400 character limit, is this including spaces or not including spaces ?

Hi ! For optomcas there was a character limit including spaces for the extracurricular/volunteer positions. The AIF mentioned a 400 character limit, is this including spaces or not including spaces ?

If I recall correctly, it does include spaces.

Just another question, the letters of recommendation are due on November 30th or October 30th?

Just another question, the letters of recommendation are due on November 30th or October 30th?
I believe Nov 30 is the deadline for references.

What would they require us to upload for academic awards? My transcript lists all my academic awards so would I just leave that option blank on the AIF?

Hi everyone,
I'm wondering to know at this moment I mean before the deadline Oct. 26, the only thing that we should do is submitting the AIF?
This form is a one-page form and its last question is question 21 about references, right?

Should I send my official transcript by mail to the University of Waterloo by this date?

Sorry if it sounds obvious. I just want to make sure about the upcoming deadline (Oct . 26) and not to miss anything by mistake.

Last edited:
I believe transcripts gets uploaded when you they asked you through ouac? Under admissions and documents if it says uploaded beside transcript and the date does that mean its good to go?

I believe transcripts gets uploaded when you they asked you through ouac? Under admissions and documents if it says uploaded beside transcript and the date does that mean its good to go?
Hi, excuse me are you replying to me?
I'm not sure but I think according to this link Important dates | Optometry & Vision Science, besides the online transcript we should send our official transcript to the registrar's office.
it says:
October 26, 20191) Deadline by which the Admission Information Form (AIF) must be uploaded online.
2) Deadline by which your interim transcripts must be uploaded online and by which your official transcripts must be received by the Registrar's Office.

Also, this is a link about transcript: Transcript requirements | Optometry & Vision Science
But if you attended a university in Ontario, yes, I think through OUAC you already requested your transcript.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Hi, excuse me are you replying to me?
I'm not sure but I think according to this link Important dates | Optometry & Vision Science, besides the online transcript we should send our official transcript to the registrar's office.
it says:
October 26, 20191) Deadline by which the Admission Information Form (AIF) must be uploaded online.
2) Deadline by which your interim transcripts must be uploaded online and by which your official transcripts must be received by the Registrar's Office.

Also, this is a link about transcript: Transcript requirements | Optometry & Vision Science
But if you attended a university in Ontario, yes, I think through OUAC you already requested your transcript.

Hope that helps.
So does I need to request my official transcript through my school to send to Waterloo?

So does I need to request my official transcript through my school to send to Waterloo?
To be honest I'm not sure, but I think yes you should. Please contact the admission office or registerar office tomorrow.

I wasn't sure about this and called them, the admissions office told me to send in a transcript as well alongside the OUAC submission. I sent my official transcript from my university through courier, and it got to Waterloo on the same day !

I wasn't sure about this and called them, the admissions office told me to send in a transcript as well alongside the OUAC submission. I sent my official transcript from my university through courier, and it got to Waterloo on the same day !
did you send it yourself? or through your university?

Wait so the transcript that was sent when we did our ouac application isn’t enough? We’re supposed to send another official transcript before October 26th? I didn’t realize that

Wait so the transcript that was sent when we did our ouac application isn’t enough? We’re supposed to send another official transcript before October 26th? I didn’t realize that :(((
No, i think you should be fine! As long as it says that your transcript has been received on the Documents page of the AIF, and there's a received date!

No, i think you should be fine! As long as it says that your transcript has been received on the Documents page of the AIF, and there's a received date!
Ok thank you! I was in a little bit of a panic there lol

I'm not sure to be honest. The lady at the front desk told me to use the instruction that were listed on the website which gave the mailing address but you are right, the date listed on my waterloo account is the day of the OUAC submission.

Did you upload pictures of your academic awards? I wasn't sure, since most academic awards are listed on our transcripts.

Where do I find the confidential assessment forms to send out?
Just to confirm as well, interim transcripts are unofficial transcripts that can be downloaded online?

Where do I find the confidential assessment forms to send out?
Just to confirm as well, interim transcripts are unofficial transcripts that can be downloaded online?
I think you just need to inter your references information as well as their email address, and you are good to go. I think the university will send CAF to them.
And yes, as I read in a web page of UWaterloo, you should upload your unofficial transcript in the document part of Quest.

I think you just need to inter your references information as well as their email address, and you are good to go. I think the university will send CAF to them.
And yes, as I read in a web page of UWaterloo, you should upload your unofficial transcript in the document part of Quest.
Thank you!

If any of you know the answer to this, please do let me know. We didnt need to submit anything on optomcas, did we?

Thank you!

If any of you know the answer to this, please do let me know. We didnt need to submit anything on optomcas, did we?
You're welcome.
I think Optomcas is just for applying to the US schools. For UWaterloo it's totally a separate process.

If anyone’s still wondering what it means by interim transcript and if you’re fine, I asked and got this email today which explained it. “An interim transcript (vs. a final transcript) is a document that indicates your in-progress status at your institution. If you have submitted an up-to-date transcript that includes the courses you are currently enrolled in for the 2019-2020 school year, then you have met the deadline date of Oct 26.”

If anyone’s still wondering what it means by interim transcript and if you’re fine, I asked and got this email today which explained it. “An interim transcript (vs. a final transcript) is a document that indicates your in-progress status at your institution. If you have submitted an up-to-date transcript that includes the courses you are currently enrolled in for the 2019-2020 school year, then you have met the deadline date of Oct 26.”
Woah no way...so if we submitted our transcript via OUAC during the summer, and it says it was received on Quest, do you think we'd have to submit an up-to-date one? Like, I enrolled into some courses at the end of August, so my transcript doesn't show all the courses I'm taking for this academic year. Thanks for your help in advance!

Woah no way...so if we submitted our transcript via OUAC during the summer, and it says it was received on Quest, do you think we'd have to submit an up-to-date one? Like, I enrolled into some courses at the end of August, so my transcript doesn't show all the courses I'm taking for this academic year. Thanks for your help in advance!
Yea I had that same problem i told the lady that I’m not sure if my transcript has my current classes and I sent a new one but it won’t reach by the deadline but she said it’s ok so just send a new one anyway but it shouldn’t be a problem if it’s late

sorry for asking a ton of times, but guys did anyone upload any documents in regards to academic awards ? I'm not sure what I would upload considering the awards are listed on my transcript ?

sorry for asking a ton of times, but guys did anyone upload any documents in regards to academic awards ? I'm not sure what I would upload considering the awards are listed on my transcript ?
I am trying to rn :/ just emails and other certificates of awards

did anyone receive an email after submitting their AIF?

Does anyone know how the LAB portion should be filled out if the LAB was not separate for the core course? Also, it says an interim transcript must be uploaded, but I do not see a place to upload it. They have already received my official transcripts though. I used to see in the documents that I could upload my transcript but it is no longer there and says it is received (my official transcripts I mailed)

Does anyone know how the LAB portion should be filled out if the LAB was not separate for the core course? Also, it says an interim transcript must be uploaded, but I do not see a place to upload it. They have already received my official transcripts though. I used to see in the documents that I could upload my transcript but it is no longer there and says it is received (my official transcripts I mailed)
Lab grade is filled out as NA and you are probably fine for your transcript then!

Does anyone know approximately how many applicants are invited to the meet and greet? I was wondering if numbers have changed from previous years since they've moved away from the MMI type interviews to what seems like a much more relaxed style of discussion and facility tour.