This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eyegotthis

Reaction score
Hi guys!
Haven't seen anyone create a Class of 2026 Waterloo OD-specific thread so here you go...

OAT scores:
GPA:
Major:
ECs:
Casper Quartile:

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone else miss the snapshot deadline? On Altus it said my recommended day to do it by was the 21st so I did it on the 20th and missed it by 1 day.
The Dates and Deadlines for 2022 admission says it had to be done by the 19th. I would suggest contacting them and seeing if this will be an issue.

Ya I contacted them they just said it would be up to the admissions committee so I'm not sure if that's good or bad which is pretty stressful.
Damn. I hope they are understanding, it’s just one day so hopefully they will accommodate! :) Goodluck

Members don't see this ad :)
Ya, hopefully they understand. Do you know when we should hear about the meet and greet invites? Anyways, here are my scores, etc...

OAT scores: 390TS, 380AA
GPA: 85
Major: Bio-Medical Science
ECs: Shadowing, Executive member of on-campus blood donation clinic, a few other clubs/intramural sports, small online business
Casper Quartile: 2nd (definitely my worst area)
The waterloo website says Dec.15, but in previous years people have heard back prior to the expected date, so I guess just check your email often in early-mid December!

Hi everyone! Second time applicant over here :)
OAT scores: 340TS/350AA (400 in both QR and RC so I’m kind of bummed my AA isn’t higher😂) worried that my score is still too low but it’s higher than the scores I submitted last year!
GPA: I think about an 83-84
Major: Biochem
ECs: 5 years optometric assistant + shadowing, dance team, undergrad research, lab volunteering, volunteer with Red Cross, executive roles with a handful of groups on campus, pre optom club president, TA, note taker, working for COVID related jobs since the pandemic started.
Casper Quartile: 4th

Over the years I’ve gone overkill on the ECs to help make up for my lower numbers. Hoping this is my year and that my OAT score doesn’t hold me back!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey! Good luck everyone!!

OAT scores: 400TS, 390AA
GPA: 87
Major: medical science
ECs: optometric assistant + shadowing, research assistant, pre-optom exec, esl teacher, tutoring, and volunteer with ronald mcdonald house and canadian cancer society

Word of warning for anyone applying, the optometry school could loose acrediation during your time in the program due to a human rights violation case in the faculty. It is still being investigated and hasn’t reached the human rights tribunal yet but it will if the school doesn’t fix its wrong doings.
Thanks for letting us know! May I ask how you came across this information?

OAT scores: 400 TS 370 AA
GPA: around 88%
Major: Hon. Biomedical sciences
ECs: Several part-time jobs, co-founder of an charity event group, pre-opt club (my ECs are quite weak) EDIT: Forgot to include 40hours of shadowing

Just got invited to the meet and greet. The letter specifically said "academic performance" in the email - not sure if that's just what they say to everyone? I'm guessing the cut-off for meet and greet is based on OAT and GPA.

Last edited:
OAT scores: 400 TS 370 AA
GPA: around 88%
Major: Hon. Biomedical sciences
ECs: Several part-time jobs, co-founder of an charity event group, pre-opt club (my ECs are quite weak)

Just got invited to the meet and greet. The letter specifically said "academic performance" in the email - not sure if that's just what they say to everyone? I'm guessing the cut-off for meet and greet is based on OAT and GPA.
Congrats!!! Mine said that too and my stats are lower. So I’m assuming it’s just a standard message they send to everyone:)

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder if they're just going to use the meet and greet to decide now since the e-mail said "academic performance" so maybe there was a cut-off? Or if they would use a holistic view and still look at your academics after the meet and greet.

I wonder if they're just going to use the meet and greet to decide now since the e-mail said "academic performance" so maybe there was a cut-off? Or if they would still use a holistic view after the meet and greets.
I think they’ll look at the meet and greet and your Fall 2021 performance.

Hi everyone! Does anyone know how the Meet and Greet will be structured? I heard they didn't have an interview last year and only used CASPer but I'm not sure.

OAT scores: 390TS/380 AA
GPA: 87% (3.87/4.0)
Major: Neuroscience
ECs: A year as an optometric tech + shadowing, executive for a few clubs, research assistant at a hospital and at two labs on campus, tutoring, volunteering

I am in the program and they kicked my friend out with a learning disability for failing one course. He applied to the prorgan with the disability on his file. When he asked for accommodations for clinic they refused to give him any accommodations. Now the school is pretending undue hardship but it really isn’t. Considering Waterloo just lost the case of Longueépée vs waterloo, this repeat offender will have more consequence on their funding. There were also emails of senior leaders in the optometry department making fun of this students disabilities. It’s really disgusting.
That's terrible! My condolences to your friend. I hope the offenders face proper consequences.

According to Reddit, Quest has a status update for some people already!

Yeah. I've been admitted! Good luck to everyone who it hasn't been updated for and congrats to everyone who was admitted!

They really took their time this year, last year decisions came out on March 25th and today is the 30th.

Quest is updated! My application says deny.

Updating with my stats for future reference and possibly some advice.
Curious on what I should do to better my application for next year besides doing well on the Casper?

OAT scores: 360TS/360AA
GPA: 3.87/87%
Major: Biology
ECs: Member/Vice Pres then Pres of Student Organization over 3 years. Volunteering through a community church and occasionally RMHC for 100+ volunteer hours. Four years of part time optical experience and two years of full time experience working as a receptionist/optometric assistant ~2000+ hours. Job Shadowing a different optometrist than the 3 worked with for 16 hours.
Casper Quartile: 1st

I think what really hurt me was my CASPR and the lack of a real interview. I'm not sure how I so royally screwed that one up.

Mine still says no decision has been made 🙄 hoping that maybe means a spot on a waitlist! I hate this waiting game!

Mine still says no decision has been made 🙄 hoping that maybe means a spot on a waitlist! I hate this waiting game!
The waiting has definitely been one of the worst parts. My optometrist friend who graduated in the states just last year was saying how they think Waterloo should release decisions earlier especially since their applications are due so much earlier than the US schools. Then it could give people an opportunity to apply to other schools knowing the decision of Waterloo, also where a lot of other schools do rolling admissions would save some hassle with saving spots ect.

Does quest only show either accepted or denied? Or does it show if you are waitlisted as well?

I received my acceptance this morning around 8:00 AM MST!!! This has been my dream career for many years. I'm so excited to meet everyone in September. To those on the waiting list, I hope to meet you as well.

Hey everyone!

We want to start off by saying a BIG CONGRATS to all those accepted!!! We are the Orientation Committee for the UW Optometry Class of 2026! We are so excited for you to be joining our big optom family this September! We have a Facebook group set up for you guys to meet your new classmates, find roommates and organize housing, post any questions you may have about coming to Waterloo, as well as anything else you can think of! We will also be posting updates for your class through this group. You will only be able to join this group after you received your letter of offer attached in the email. If you’ve accepted your offer, please answer the questions and request to join the Facebook group at the following link: University of Waterloo Optometry Class of 2026

We can't wait to meet you all, and welcome to the exciting journey ahead!

Cassidy, Navneet, and Urbowshe
Optometry 2022 Orientation Co-Chairs

Last edited:
Congratulations to everyone that got in! Just received an email saying that I didn't get in but that I am on the contingency list. I am assuming that is the waiting list? How many people usually get accepted off the wait list every year?
Yup that’s waitlist. I spoke to a graduate and she said that top 5 off the waitlist usually get in, after that it ranges but between 5-10 ish. What number are you?

I’m waitlist #5! Honestly I am just as excited as if this was an acceptance!

Reactions: 1 users
Female student here, got a house lined up, looking for 3 roommates in the fall! PM if interested and can give more info :)

Hey everyone, I got waitlisted. For the people who got the 4th percentile on Casper do you mind sharing how you prepared for it? I think my Casper is what brought me down a lot.

• Care
Hey everyone, I got waitlisted. For the people who got the 4th percentile on Casper do you mind sharing how you prepared for it? I think my Casper is what brought me down a lot.
4th quartile? That's the top 75-100% of students. What were your other stats?

I emailed them for an update on the contingency list today and they have taken 3 from the list now!

Reactions: 1 users
@NoviOD , good luck and I hope you hear from them soon! Will you let us know when you hear from them. Also, is anybody thinking of declining their offer of admission?

Good morning!
Which # in the contingency list gets admitted?

Good morning!
Which # in the contingency list gets admitted?
I emailed them on May 5 and I got an automatic email saying that their office is closed until May 12 so I didn’t get an update and it sounds like they aren’t going to be calling anyone until then either. I believe that only the top 3 have been admitted so far.

I emailed them on May 5 and I got an automatic email saying that their office is closed until May 12 so I didn’t get an update and it sounds like they aren’t going to be calling anyone until then either. I believe that only the top 3 have been admitted so far.

The admission letters to med were out few days ago. I hope the wait list will move up in two weeks. Best of luck to everyone !🤞🤞🤞🙏🙏🙏