Waxing teeth

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

filbee

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
Could someone please tell me a little bit about dental waxing or carving teeth. Do you carve individual teeth or the entire jaw? What kind of wax and tools do you use? Do you use any heating instruments? Any information would be really appreciated.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

during my first semester of dental school we were required to carve five teeth. we used small blocks of wax an carved the teeth to a size that you would find in the average mouth. we had a set of waxing instruments and a busen burner. generally you should carve by taking away wax but if you make a mistake and need to add wax you melt it and lute it to the area that it is needed. i found to be a great way the learn the exact anatomy of the tooth.

Does anyone know the specific type or name of the dental wax and waxing instruments that schools use?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Filbee,

I'm not in dental school yet, but I was in a summer program at Marquette University School of Dentistry and I carved teeth from wax and waxed up teeth all summer long. To answer some of your questions about the tools, I'm not sure what brand they are, but here's a partial list of what I used to carve teeth from wax:

Cleoid Discoid
PKT carvers
Half-Hollenback
A dull knife

The wax is a much harder version of your normal candle wax at home. Hope this info helps!

:rolleyes:

we used a set of waxing instruments by thompson there are seven instraments but we only used about four for most of the work. if they didn't keep our work i would email a pic of it

we used buffalo carving wax by buffalo dental manufactuer its just green blocks of wax