Wayne State Class of 2011 thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I filled that thing in yesterday... now I need to find a copy of the "verification sheet" that god only knows why we even have to fill out given the fact that it's just a paper version of one of the FAFSA sheets.

...was anyone else at the financial aid seminar on saturday?

I was at the seminar this Saturday with my mom.

Members don't see this ad.

I filled that thing in yesterday... now I need to find a copy of the "verification sheet" that god only knows why we even have to fill out given the fact that it's just a paper version of one of the FAFSA sheets.

I know! What was the point of that sheet? It was the exact same thing as the fafsa. Why didn't they just say fax us a copy of your tax forms so we know you weren't lying? Oh, but I noticed on verification that they defined household differently than they did on fafsa. On fafsa I only had myself in my household because I don't support anyone else. On wayne's sheet I had to put my grandparents because I live with them and they wanted you to put people down you currently live with. On fafsa, my mom only had herself in her household because neither my sitster nor I live with her. On wayne's sheet I had to put my sister down because if she was filing for federal aid she would have to list my mother because she is under 23. Weird how that was different. I hope they don't think I was trying to BS on my fafsa. Does anyone know if we have to make minute corrections to fafsa (for example I estimated my income tax to be 100 more than it was, I just got my taxes done today) or will the school take care of it? (my undergrad always fixed it for me). Also, does anyone else have parents not filing taxes? My mom didn't work....so she has nothing to file but what do I have as proof to send them?

Members don't see this ad :)
so how nice... on to do the verification form and I find out that my parents still don't have their taxes completed. So now I have to wait even longer to get this stuff completed.

...and what the hell is this FAFSA correction sheet I got in the mail!?

Go online and fill out a correction because they send it to about a third of all FAFSA apps.

As for the verification yeah I had to rush my parents to get their stuff done.

I need this access ID... bleh. Where is it?

https://webmail.wayne.edu/am/cgi/ldap_search
bleh... i think you have to be logged onto pipeline to use this link... which would prob defeat the purpose. but anyways, if it works you can type your name in and get your accessID (providing you are in the system). Most of the people I know have an access ID thaT starts with a or ax.

This may be a stupid question but on the verification worksheet is says you can apply for loans only or loans and campus based aid - what exactly is campus based aid and why would you not want to appy for this also?

See, I didnt see a button that said "submit correction" anywhere... oh well I'll look tomorrow. I'd prefer not to have to deal with snailmail. I did print out the form, but that was it if I remember correctly.

...is the correction thing random? or is there something I actually have to correct? Because my form seemed ok.

FAFSA correction stuff is on the right under FAFSA Follow Up.

This may be a stupid question but on the verification worksheet is says you can apply for loans only or loans and campus based aid - what exactly is campus based aid and why would you not want to appy for this also?

Campus based aid is grants/lower interest perkins federal loans/scholarships/need based institutional aid. So you do want to apply for it. The only thing is that parental info is required and it may be like pulling teeth getting their tax info.

Maestro, I know the problem with parents and their taxes. I don't even have to have my mom's taxes since she isn't filing. However, my grandparents are claiming me as a dependent and my grandma threw a s#$tstorm when she found out I was getting my taxes done before her for wayne's verification. She, and most of my family, have no idea how things work. She thought that if I got my taxes done at a different place or a different time than her, that she would not be able to claim me. Which makes no sense since everything goes to the IRS and as long as I tell the preparer I'm not claiming myself, then all is good. However, she refused to believe that. She then started screaming at me (in front of family members that don't like me) and I got into a verbal fight with her that was insane. I still am not too keen on speaking to her. It just makes me mad that I've worked so hard and people in my family are still being barriers.
So yea, that was the drama the verification form caused at my house. People in my family understand 0 about this process and I'm just glad I'm almost there.

On a lighter note... who wants to do intramurals and what are our options? I'm pretty sure I remember floor hockey and dodgeball. Is soccer offered?

Members don't see this ad :)

Actually you can go to the following link and then search for your name in order to get your Access ID.

http://www.ucomm.wayne.edu/~fsd/index.html

After that though you will need to call the computer help desk (313-577-4778) to get you banner ID # (aka 9 digit personal ID #). Just tell them you have been getting the run-around about the banner ID # and you would like to get yours because you just got admitted to Wayne. You have to give them your access ID # when you do this though.

where do you get this verification workshet and do you have to fill one out?

I'm pretty sure all the sports on the main campus are availible... so yeah soccer had better be an option.

There's generally people playing on any given night throughout summer and fall on one of the fields adjacent to the Matthaei Building, though I'm not sure if it's offically related to an IM program. There was (and still may be) a coed group called Detroit Crew that played every Monday night on that field.

There is an IM office. Maybe you can get their number through the Dean of Students' website.

I think Dawn read my posts and sent out an email about AccessID's today ;) ... anyone else get this today ?

I'm pretty sure all the sports on the main campus are availible... so yeah soccer had better be an option.

Anyone know if there's any lacrosse??

that could be pushing it... although it's been getting very popular lately. my little catholic school got a team a couple years ago

Lacrosse is more popular across the River in Canada. I'd google the terms Windsor Ontario Lacrosse, or something along those lines.

Windsor is just about the best suburb of Detroit. There's a lot going on over there. I hear that the Windsor Ballet is especially popular (teethy smile).

Lacrosse is more popular across the River in Canada. I'd google the terms Windsor Ontario Lacrosse, or something along those lines.

Windsor is just about the best suburb of Detroit. There's a lot going on over there. I hear that the Windsor Ballet is especially popular (teethy smile).

Thanks for the heads up DeMachanik. I'll look into it.

In other news, so Dawn sent out the form for roommates. What is everyone thinking on that. I'm torn as to whether I should enter the book or not. Has anyone talked to the current M1s (etc) about their experience with unknown roommates?

I was thinking about getting an apartment by myself for the first year, but don't know if that's the best choice. It just feels so much like I'm 17 again and a freshman in college, but at least then it was a dorm...

Thoughts or comments??

Thanks for the heads up DeMachanik. I'll look into it.

In other news, so Dawn sent out the form for roommates. What is everyone thinking on that. I'm torn as to whether I should enter the book or not. Has anyone talked to the current M1s (etc) about their experience with unknown roommates?

I was thinking about getting an apartment by myself for the first year, but don't know if that's the best choice. It just feels so much like I'm 17 again and a freshman in college, but at least then it was a dorm...

Thoughts or comments??

I want to live by myself to. I was thinking that it probably will be a little more expensive but its better than living with some crazied maniac your first year and then going to prison for assault with a deadly weapon.

Thats a joke by the way.

I think I might fill it out... it's not binding or anything. I think the transition would work better if I had a roommate

got my accessID today... I don't think they can rescind my acceptance now, huh ? ;) I keep thinking they'll find a way to block me from going :scared:

I filled it out, because I really don't know if I want a roomate or not. I think I may get one just because I don't want to feel all alone. I'll just make sure I discuss the major "Extra" comments I made on my form and make sure we see eye to eye, because those are the things that often sparked fights with former roomates.

I filled it out, because I really don't know if I want a roomate or not. I think I may get one just because I don't want to feel all alone. I'll just make sure I discuss the major "Extra" comments I made on my form and make sure we see eye to eye, because those are the things that often sparked fights with former roomates.

what are these "extras" ? I feel like I have a few myself...

got my accessID today... I don't think they can rescind my acceptance now, huh ? ;) I keep thinking they'll find a way to block me from going :scared:

I totally agree with that "find a way to block me", last night I dreamt that I was actually waitlisted, not accepted and had to sheepishly tell everyone that I was in fact not going to med school this coming year. When I got up I look at the acceptance letter just to be sure.

Yeah, so I might be a dork, but it's still hard to believe.

I totally agree with that "find a way to block me", last night I dreamt that I was actually waitlisted, not accepted and had to sheepishly tell everyone that I was in fact not going to med school this coming year. When I got up I look at the acceptance letter just to be sure.

Yeah, so I might be a dork, but it's still hard to believe.

I fully expected another round of applications... After my small-money, very late application cycle this year, I'm very happy that I got in to my first choice.

what are these "extras" ? I feel like I have a few myself...

Well I put that I am messy. I sometimes leave papers out in the general area and I can be disorganized. So no neat freaks or I would be nuts and they would be angry at me. Then I put that overnight guests would be ok, but not for many consecutive nights and not before exams. I had roomates before who basically had their boyfriend living in the room. Every single day, no matter what exams I had, the boyfriend would be there. Lastly, I don't think I would live well with someone who is very religious (in any religion) because I'm not. Those are my big three extras.

verification sheet? where did you get this things? where/when did you find out you had to send it out?

verification sheet? where did you get this things? where/when did you find out you had to send it out?

nevermind... I answered my own question...it's all on the website :rolleyes:

So, I'm kinda starting to stress out about the whole finaid thing. The verification sheet, do you fill that out if you want loans? or just campus based aid? and what exactly do they mean by "campus-based aid"? is that scholarships? has anyone applied for scholarship yet?

So, I'm kinda starting to stress out about the whole finaid thing. The verification sheet, do you fill that out if you want loans? or just campus based aid? and what exactly do they mean by "campus-based aid"? is that scholarships? has anyone applied for scholarship yet?

i don't remember much info about the verification sheet, but i remembered i filled it out. i believe the campus based aid refers to the scholarships that are available. there are some full and half tuition scholarships based on merrit and there are also smaler amounts ($1-$10000) that are awarded based on need. I'm do not know the details, but I do know as long as you fill all of that paperwork out and include your parents income, you will be automatically considered for all scholarships. You need to include your parents income info even if you are 40 years old... it is kind of a ******ed rule, but that is how it is done.

i don't remember much info about the verification sheet, but i remembered i filled it out. i believe the campus based aid refers to the scholarships that are available. there are some full and half tuition scholarships based on merrit and there are also smaler amounts ($1-$10000) that are awarded based on need. I'm do not know the details, but I do know as long as you fill all of that paperwork out and include your parents income, you will be automatically considered for all scholarships. You need to include your parents income info even if you are 40 years old... it is kind of a ******ed rule, but that is how it is done.

Apparently starting this year we have to do the application for scholarships if we want to be considered.

has anyone recieved a financial aid package yet? for those that have, did you recieve any thing besides loans, aka. campus based aid? Also does anyone know when they will start awarding their private scholarships?

fun8stuff... when were you notified of your scholarship?

fun8stuff... when were you notified of your scholarship?

Mid july. I am not entirely sure if I was first on the list or if I was 5 or 6 people down and the other people ahead of me went to other schools. I am not sure of the exact number that are given out, probably a handful. I have never mentioned to anyone in real life that I received a scholarship, nor have I heard anyone else discuss it. I saw one person on mdapplicants who said they received a half tuition scholarship. This person was notified in July as well. I think I remember being told that they wait until they know who really wants to go to wayne to award scholarships (so they wait until after that date where everyone has to pick 1 school), but I really never thought I had a chance at getting one before so I wasn't paying that close attention. You could always just email deirdre(sp?) moore and ask. Good luck...

Hello! Pretty sure I am going to WSU :)

I was wondering if anyone knew of any information about popular places where students live. I think there was a link somewhere on SDN, but I can't find it. Any help would be great.

I am so excited!

I just had a couple of questions regarding financial aid...

All I have done so far is fill out FAFSA and complete the online scholarship form that Wayne has on their website. Is this all that I should do right now, or am I missing something? I am curious, because I don't recall seeing a "verification sheet" or anything. I want to make sure that I will be considered for the scholarships and financial aid soon.

Also, my parents refused to fill out the FAFSA parental information section because they didn't think that it was Wayne's (or any med school for that matter) business to have that info since I am financially independent from them. I am fairly certain I won't be considered for any "need" based scholarships, but will the committee still review my file for more of the merit/leadership type scholarships?

Thanks in advance for any responses! I look forward to meeting everyone in a few months :)

Also, my parents refused to fill out the FAFSA parental information section because they didn't think that it was Wayne's (or any med school for that matter) business to have that info since I am financially independent from them. I am fairly certain I won't be considered for any "need" based scholarships, but will the committee still review my file for more of the merit/leadership type scholarships?

Hey, the following is straight from the WSU FinAid Site... You might want to have your parents read through that site or express to them that not filling it out could negatively impact how much financial aid you get.

WSU FinAid said:
I’m independent. Why must I supply parental information on my financial aid forms?

In the medical school community, Title VII programs of Health and Human Services (HHS) also provide funding. Parental income information is a requirement to assess eligibility for such funds (i.e. Primary Care loans and scholarships specifically for students defined as disadvantaged).

Wayne State University requires parental data as a guideline for ensuring that limited funds, i.e. low interest loans and grant funds are awarded to students with the most need, who may also have limited or no financial support available from their families.

Hope that helps.... Good luck with everything! :)

http://www.med.wayne.edu/student_affairs/financial_aid/faq.asp

I just had a couple of questions regarding financial aid...

All I have done so far is fill out FAFSA and complete the online scholarship form that Wayne has on their website. Is this all that I should do right now, or am I missing something? I am curious, because I don't recall seeing a "verification sheet" or anything. I want to make sure that I will be considered for the scholarships and financial aid soon.

Thanks in advance for any responses! I look forward to meeting everyone in a few months :)

You might want to email financial aid... but i thought it was all scholarships requird parents info regardless of whether you were independent from them or not. However, I could be wrong or things could have changed. For most of these matters, is best to get an answer straight from the horse's mouth.

Count me if for soccer too - c yall n fall wit da ball n scott hall

ok, so a finaid question now... you get your offer thru the pipeline email, right?

so why doesn't the email link ever work when i click on it?

It's your webmail. You don't have to get to it through pipeline. If you can't get into it on the webmail site you may have to have it reset. (That's what I had to do) Just email the WSU help desk.