Wayne State Class of 2011 thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
someone here mentioned something about being able to reestablish residency after living a year in MI. I was just going through my old stack of papers and was purusing through the acceptance package. it says NR (non-residents) are not able to change their resident status? so , i'm guessing not? can someone clarify this?

Members don't see this ad.

someone here mentioned something about being able to reestablish residency after living a year in MI. I was just going through my old stack of papers and was purusing through the acceptance package. it says NR (non-residents) are not able to change their resident status? so , i'm guessing not? can someone clarify this?

i know u can't as a student. you might be able to f u lived and worked a year in MI?? not sure

hey guys,
i got accepted in jan to wayne state, but was still deciding between wayne and MSU. im set on Wayne now, but does anyone got any info on scholarships for first year students?

also, for anatomy, do we choose our lab group or is this assigned?

Jawad

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys,
i got accepted in jan to wayne state, but was still deciding between wayne and MSU. im set on Wayne now, but does anyone got any info on scholarships for first year students?

There is an online application that you need to fill out - I'm not sure of the address - call or email the Med School FinAid Office - I'm sure they'll be happy to tell you

also, for anatomy, do we choose our lab group or is this assigned?

It's assigned - in our class (I'm an M2) we had 6 people per table - it will be at least that for you guys. It works out well - most people are pretty nice - if you find out that you really can't stand your partners, you can always wonder around - my group picked up an orphan about half way through.

There is an online application that you need to fill out - I'm not sure of the address - call or email the Med School FinAid Office - I'm sure they'll be happy to tell you

It's assigned - in our class (I'm an M2) we had 6 people per table - it will be at least that for you guys. It works out well - most people are pretty nice - if you find out that you really can't stand your partners, you can always wonder around - my group picked up an orphan about half way through.

yeah, i was a wonderer. I hung out at mendel's table qute a bit. My goal was to see as many different bodies as I could everyday, given I learn by repetition. That and my cadaver had cancer all over the neck, abdomen, and pelvis... which was cool to see, but made it difficult to learn normal.

yeah, i was a wonderer. I hung out at mendel's table qute a bit. My goal was to see as many different bodies as I could everyday, given I learn by repetition. That and my cadaver had cancer all over the neck, abdomen, and pelvis... which was cool to see, but made it difficult to learn normal.
yep - you were the orphan I was referring to

yep - you were the orphan I was referring to

You guys had a nice cadaver, as i recall. Large prominent vessels from atherosclerosis... easy to trace, esp in neck.

Or just an excellent dissector

just got a note from Wayne Financial Aid that I'm missing the verification, W2 stuff... I officially think I'm falling behind in this process

just got a note from Wayne Financial Aid that I'm missing the verification, W2 stuff... I officially think I'm falling behind in this process
well at least they let you know now instead of waiting until August to tell you that you were screwed, lol. That would have really sucked.

well at least they let you know now instead of waiting until August to tell you that you were screwed, lol. That would have really sucked.

So far I've had a pretty good experience with the administrative offices... when does all the trouble start that you guys kept talking about on that old thread? ;)

So far I've had a pretty good experience with the administrative offices... when does all the trouble start that you guys kept talking about on that old thread? ;)
first day of class - also don't listen too much to us - second years develop some amazing bitterness

it is overly exaggerated on these threads because this is where we come to bitch... rarely are the good things mentioned... i sure miss the highly organized CT and Musculoskeletal unit...

Members don't see this ad :)
I miss Harley's rippling bicepts.... <sigh> He was so hunky......

first day of class - also don't listen too much to us - second years develop some amazing bitterness

Actually the bitterness usually starts to grow shortly after starting first year (certainly by the time the second set of exams role around) and just gets worse the longer that you spend at WSU. It's just that second year is one of those times that it is growing exponentially.
And during the clinical years the rate of increase of bitterness is usually related to where the clerkships are being done. Which should be expected since some sites really suck - bad residents, poor teaching, crappy facilities, etc.

Actually the bitterness usually starts to grow shortly after starting first year (certainly by the time the second set of exams role around) and just gets worse the longer that you spend at WSU. It's just that second year is one of those times that it is growing exponentially.
And during the clinical years the rate of increase of bitterness is usually related to where the clerkships are being done. Which should be expected since some sites really suck - bad residents, poor teaching, crappy facilities, etc.

which clerkships sites should we avoid if possible?

it is overly exaggerated on these threads because this is where we come to bitch... rarely are the good things mentioned... i sure miss the highly organized CT and Musculoskeletal unit...
I sure do miss that day before school started - just kidding, fun8 is right, it's mostly good, we just take our frustrutions out here.

Also soliel - fun8 and I were big Harley fans as well (see a few posts up)

I sure do miss that day before school started - just kidding, fun8 is right, it's mostly good, we just take our frustrutions out here.

Also soliel - fun8 and I were big Harley fans as well (see a few posts up)

That's right, his name was Harley! I forgot about that. So soliel was at your table?

which clerkships sites should we avoid if possible?

I would suggest taking that question to the main WSU-SOM forum (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=362739&page=4), so that you'll find more third and fourth years.
Also, no reason to stress out the future MS1s about this, yet.

Quick answer is that it depends on what you want to get out of third year. Personally, I avoided Hutzel for OB/GYN but for some people that are more inclined to like that sort of thing they enjoyed their clerkship there. I also did more of third year within the DMC than I probably should have.

That's right, his name was Harley! I forgot about that. So soliel was at your table?

Me and Harley were tight. Mendel and Harley's perineal region were also quite close. Hmmmm. I recall assisting Mendel as he was elbow deep in Harley poo. Where was the Orphan then? And everone else, for that matter.... :laugh: good times, good times......

To the incoming 1st years: Anatomy was the best class of years 1 and 2 (but I never want to do it again!!!).

Me and Harley were tight. Mendel and Harley's perineal region were also quite close. Hmmmm. I recall assisting Mendel as he was elbow deep in Harley poo. Where was the Orphan then? And everone else, for that matter.... :laugh: good times, good times......

To the incoming 1st years: Anatomy was the best class of years 1 and 2 (but I never want to do it again!!!).

looking back i guess i was kind of like the dead-beat dad who only dropped by at his own convenience. attended all the bday parties, but missed the potty training. i guess i was kind of a jerk. i hope harley doesn't hold it against me.

Would any MSIs mind saying what the first year class schedule is like? I searched for it on WSU's site with no luck. Thanks in advance for any responses.

If anyone wants to rent a personal locker at the WSU fitness center on main campus, applications are taken beginning May 1 (at the fitness center). The woman there told me that they go quickly.

Anyone going to the financial aid meeting this weekend?

looking back i guess i was kind of like the dead-beat dad who only dropped by at his own convenience. attended all the bday parties, but missed the potty training. i guess i was kind of a jerk. i hope harley doesn't hold it against me.

:laugh: Sorry Fun8! I was just kidding. I was just refering to the time when Mendel was covered to his elbows in poo and there wasn't anyone else from our table around to witness it... I think they weren't tough enough for Harley poo. Wimps. :p

Hey just wondering if that financial aid seminar was worth going to? Thanks.

it most likely is, especially if you're not traveling a long distance to get there. I was there for the last one.

:laugh: Sorry Fun8! I was just kidding. I was just refering to the time when Mendel was covered to his elbows in poo and there wasn't anyone else from our table around to witness it... I think they weren't tough enough for Harley poo. Wimps. :p
So for you pre-M1s out there - the lesson that comes out of this discussion - don't cut the rectum when bisecting the pelvis - it's bad, very bad.

So for you pre-M1s out there - the lesson that comes out of this discussion - don't cut the rectum when bisecting the pelvis - it's bad, very bad.

HAHAHAHAHA! I remember hearing about that. I did show up for the aftermath of that. Not pretty.

Does anyone know when the other seminars are?? Like, will there be any mid-June to July?? I really want to go but won't be back to the States until then.

anyone have an idea when they start awarding their private scholarships?

I think I'm gonna start blindly looking for apartments... anyone have a good site where I can check out some pictures and prices of Detroit area apartments?

I think I'm gonna start blindly looking for apartments... anyone have a good site where I can check out some pictures and prices of Detroit area apartments?

we used mostly rent.com, apartmentguide.com, apartments.com, move.com, rentnet.com. We got a couple deals off from rent.com (no security deposit, $100 gift card). I would find all the names of places that have mentioned in the detroit threads and start off by looking those up.

we used mostly rent.com, apartmentguide.com, apartments.com, move.com, rentnet.com. We got a couple deals off from rent.com (no security deposit, $100 gift card). I would find all the names of places that have mentioned in the detroit threads and start off by looking those up.

any experience with Wayne's roommate match?

any experience with Wayne's roommate match?

Have tried it the last couple of years and didn't have any luck finding anyone that would be a good fit. I think that is partly because not many people are wanting to live in the Grosse Pointes.

any first years out there remember how much you forked over at registration?

i was just reading through the old thread and noticed that.... good thing since i'm broke and will be begging more money off of mommy and daddy. it mentioned that the student fees is now incorporated into tutition, but do you have to pay for health insurance that day?

any advice on how much money to have available in the bank would be greatly appreciated.

also, when/how do we see the information about people looking for roommates?

any first years out there remember how much you forked over at registration?

i was just reading through the old thread and noticed that.... good thing since i'm broke and will be begging more money off of mommy and daddy. it mentioned that the student fees is now incorporated into tutition, but do you have to pay for health insurance that day?

any advice on how much money to have available in the bank would be greatly appreciated.

also, when/how do we see the information about people looking for roommates?
If you're getting financial aid - they will take health insurance and the student fee out of that, so you don't owe anything for that - the only up front money you'll have to pay is for parking - about $450.

It's possible not to pay that, if you instead pay $2.25 each time you park (you can load money on your student ID, and use it to park in a surface lot across from school). I did that this year, and probably paid less than $450 for parking since I never go to school. It might be different for M1s though, since you'll be there almost every day for the first 3 months, but if you don't have the $450 up front, that's an option.

so ok, a finaid question... what's it mean that my award is only loans but less than the "estimated cost of attendance"? Do I now have to work my way to the Grad Plus loans or private loans to make up the extra 7k?

I'll have to call them when I get a chance friday I guess.

so ok, a finaid question... what's it mean that my award is only loans but less than the "estimated cost of attendance"? Do I now have to work my way to the Grad Plus loans or private loans to make up the extra 7k?

I'll have to call them when I get a chance friday I guess.

so you got your finaid package? And isn't there a max of 38.5/year on government loans? Is that what you are talking about?

so you got your finaid package? And isn't there a max of 38.5/year on government loans? Is that what you are talking about?

that might have had something to do with it, but my loan package was like 40.7k...

THe max is on Stafford loans - of about 38.5 - there are still Perkins loans - which are about $5k per year that aren't included in that - also yes, if you need money above and beyond the offer, then you'll probably need to go to a private loan - but only if you need it, you may not.

could someone post a link on heath insurance coverages offered by the univ. and more specifically what the actual policies offered are.
*details*

could someone post a link on heath insurance coverages offered by the univ. and more specifically what the actual policies offered are.
*details*

i do not believe this info is on the web. you would have more luck if you called up student affairs and asked them to mail you a copy of the policy... I know I just got my booklet in the mail (it is pretty long, otherwise I would scan it for you). However, they will probably tell you to wait until orientation... which really is unfair. It will cost you a between $2-3100/year for one person and $5-8000/year if you have a family (blue cross/blue shield). Another downside is that it only covers 80% after the deductable in the case of emergencies. There are copays for office visits, Rx, and some preventive care is 100% covered once per year.

I have insurance through my wife and I would recommend you get your insurance through your parents or wife as well. The school requires you buy their health insurance if you cannot get it through your parents or wife (or medicaid, military). So, basically they have a monopoly and it is outrageous... at least compared to what my wife and I pay.

thanks fun8 for the info.
I guess I will contact student affairs and get that booklet. In the mean time if you don't mind, could you tell me briefly what the deal is with pre-existing condition coverages and Rx related to that.

Thanks for all the help.

thanks fun8 for the info.
I guess I will contact student affairs and get that booklet. In the mean time if you don't mind, could you tell me briefly what the deal is with pre-existing condition coverages and Rx related to that.

Thanks for all the help.

I do not see much in the booklet regarding this, however I only scanned it quickly. I did find the following in the FAQ section:

"Could I be denied coverage? No, because Blue Cross of Michigan group health options are not medically underwritten, you will not be denied coverage because of medical history or current health status."

So, it appears you do not have to worry about being rejected because of a health ailment and you will pay the same premium and copays as everyone else.

It says if you have additional questions you can call MSMS Physicians Insurance Agency at 1-877-742-2758 or email [email protected]. This may just be for members, but could be worth a try.

Appreciate all the info fun8.

To MS1 or MS2 at wayne, what textbooks did you use that you had to have in first and second year. I understand there are tons of notes provided in each block that should suffice but other than those, any must have textbooks that you def recommend.

NOTE: I am not starting to prepare for the USMLE and/or clinical rotations but I will have a chance to buy some books cheap and thought I might as well...

To MS1 or MS2 at wayne, what textbooks did you use that you had to have in first and second year. I understand there are tons of notes provided in each block that should suffice but other than those, any must have textbooks that you def recommend.

NOTE: I am not starting to prepare for the USMLE and/or clinical rotations but I will have a chance to buy some books cheap and thought I might as well...
I only bought three books -

Gray's Anatomy for Students - this was the required book for anatomy when we took it, probably will still be next year

Netter's Anatomy Atlas - a must have

Robbins and Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease - I bought this because everyone said it was a must have, I've barely used it. - this is a second year book.

I think that I am the exception, I think that most people use more texts, I guess I represent about the least you could spend, and I do OK.

i also use minimal texts. I used the Netter, Grey's Anatomy, and Rohen's color atlas of anatomy. I never bought the Robbins book. I don't really think I have bought or used any other texts. oh, well I have bought a few board review books along the way, but I haven't really had time to read them yet (BRS pathology, BRS physiology, MMRS, HY neuro, HY Behavioral Sciences, First Aid). I do not think you need anything else to do well... you can use the internet to clarify notes most of the time. Unless you are studying 8 - 10 hrs a day I do not think there would be time to read much more than what is in the notes.