Wayne State Class of 2011 thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey everyone,

an email a few weeks went out asking if any of the c/o 2011 was interested in deferring. i also got an email regarding deferring again today. did anyone else get this? very curious!

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

hey everyone,

an email a few weeks went out asking if any of the c/o 2011 was interested in deferring. i also got an email regarding deferring again today. did anyone else get this? very curious!

thanks!

i did that the first one a few weeks ago. not the 2nd one. wow they must be desparate to have some people defer. are they THAT overfilled???

I got the second one... about them starting to call individuals and giving some "incentive"... but, I think they're way too late on trying to change it drastically. Most people have a roommate and/or apartment by now. Anyone thinking about it though? What would happen if they can't get people to defer?

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't been asked to defer, but out of curiousity-what incentives are they giving to people? Is it Financial Aid?

I haven't been asked to defer, but out of curiousity-what incentives are they giving to people? Is it Financial Aid?

are you OOS, imable? i'm OOS and didnt get that email either. I'm suspecting OOS'ers pay WAY more tuition, so it's more lucrative to ask instaters to defer. Maybe i'm just looking into this too much.

No I'm in-state, so I guess I have little room to complain about tuition. But I was just curious if they were offering financial aid to those who defer.

Hey does anyone know the schedule for orientation? My mom keeps asking about things for parents... is that only on the white coat ceremony day? Any info anyone could provide would be VERY appreciated!

WSU tends to change orientation a bit every year so it's hard to tell you what exactly the schedule is going to be like.
Unless they have changed things alot you can tell your mom that the only thing for parents/family is on the "family day" - usually the Sat. of that week - for the white coat ceremony.
I know that I was bored to death during my orientation and can only imagine how much worse it would be if the material being presented didn't apply to you.

hey everyone,

thanks!

i got both emails as well, and yes, it is very curious indeed!
i can't help but wonder how they came up with the list of potential deferee's??

i got both emails as well, and yes, it is very curious indeed!
i can't help but wonder how they came up with the list of potential deferee's??

No clue how the list was generated. It's probably random, though. Imagine the time and money it would take to selectively create a list of students to offer deferment benefits when WSU just wants people to defer asap. :)

I have a personal situation where it could be beneficial to defer, but it's way too late this summer in terms of my situation to plan a year off. Plus, I already have a roommate and lease, and I cannot wait for med school to start!

No clue how the list was generated. It's probably random, though. Imagine the time and money it would take to selectively create a list of students to offer deferment benefits when WSU just wants people to defer asap. :)

I have a personal situation where it could be beneficial to defer, but it's way too late this summer in terms of my situation to plan a year off. Plus, I already have a roommate and lease, and I cannot wait for med school to start!

i could not agree more (although i'm sure plenty of soon to be MS2's out there would tell us to enjoy these final weeks for all they're worth :D)!!!!
It's funny how a few months ago the idea of deferring wouldn't have sounded so far fetched (i.e. since it would have been pre-move, pre-lease, pre-getting mentally prepared for what awaits us over the next 4 years), but now it just sounds plum crazy!

Dawn from admissions just called me about deferring. They are only over by about 5 students, so it's not as catastrophic as many of us might have imagined. :thumbup:

What kind of financial incentives were you offered to defer? If they do get desperate though, I wonder if they would let you reapply in the next cycle to get in somewhere cheaper (I'm OOS) and still retain a place in next year's class.

What kind of financial incentives were you offered to defer? If they do get desperate though, I wonder if they would let you reapply in the next cycle to get in somewhere cheaper (I'm OOS) and still retain a place in next year's class.

from what people here have been posting, seems like only instaters received the 2nd email to consider deferment. being OOS, I'd love to get a free year's tuition (which is what seems to be the incentive)....$$$!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, it's one year of free tuition.

I'm in state, so I'm not as concerned about the cost. Plus, WSU was one of my first choices because it is close to home.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you guys receive a financial aid package in paper? I did everything a little late due to a personal situation. My aid on pipeline shows up, but I am confused: Do we have to go through a third-party lender to get the Stafford Loan? Which lender did you choose and why? Thanks.

Did you guys receive a financial aid package in paper? I did everything a little late due to a personal situation. My aid on pipeline shows up, but I am confused: Do we have to go through a third-party lender to get the Stafford Loan? Which lender did you choose and why? Thanks.

Yeah, when you look at your requirements it will show that you need to do loan counseling and sign your MPN. When you click the click it will bring up a page of what lenders they accept. I chose the accessgroup one, only because when I asked my dad he said that one sounded the best to him. However, someone on the facebook group said that the THE lender was also a good option. They all seemed pretty similar to me...

Anyways, once you pick the lender you get redirected to the lender site where you do the counseling. Once you finish that info is relayed to WSU.

So I was looking through the forms and the other things that must be done before school. On the insurance form and on the HIPAA training we need to have an @med.wayne.edu email address. Am I missing something? What are we supposed to do about these things? Contact the school? Or, wait and see if an email address miraculously? :confused:

So I was looking through the forms and the other things that must be done before school. On the insurance form and on the HIPAA training we need to have an @med.wayne.edu email address. Am I missing something? What are we supposed to do about these things? Contact the school? Or, wait and see if an email address miraculously? :confused:

i don't know if this helps but in the original acceptance letter they sent out (the one via snail mail) we each received a temporary @wayne.edu email address to set up a pipeline account to check wayne email--and if i remember correctly, they said that this email address will eventually be converted to an @med.wayne.edu one during orientation week. i'm guessing that we could just slap on the @med.wayne.edu to the id that we've already been assigned and it will be established during registration? I actually changed the id they gave me to my last name, so when filling out the forms i plan on using [email protected] as my email address.
Although...this still doesn't solve the issue of how to receive/send email from an @med.wayne.edu PRIOR to orientation week....:oops:

i don't know if this helps but in the original acceptance letter they sent out (the one via snail mail) we each received a temporary @wayne.edu email address to set up a pipeline account to check wayne email--and if i remember correctly, they said that this email address will eventually be converted to an @med.wayne.edu one during orientation week. i'm guessing that we could just slap on the @med.wayne.edu to the id that we've already been assigned and it will be established during registration? I actually changed the id they gave me to my last name, so when filling out the forms i plan on using [email protected] as my email address.
Although...this still doesn't solve the issue of how to receive/send email from an @med.wayne.edu PRIOR to orientation week....:oops:

Historically the @wayne.edu id (something like ab1234) that they gave you is NOT the same id that you'll have on your @med.wayne.edu account. Additionally, the @wayne.edu is NOT temporary, it will be around and occasionally used during your entire time at WSU-SOM.
Usually, the @med.wayne.edu id is "first initial all or part of lastname" (all as one)@med.wayne.edu (so it would be [email protected])

You will receive your @med.wayne.edu during orientation.

I would say to wait to deal with that stuff until after you get the @med.wayne.edu during orientation. If you just can't wait that you could always attempt to figure out who the correct person to contact at WSU-SOM would be (good luck)

Is everyone checking their webmail through their access id? I remember logging in and checking it sometime in march, but I havent been able to do it since then. I called the IT office today and they said it was because I'm still classified as an applicant and not a student, so all the mail that was sent to my access id would have bounced back. Have you guys received anything important in your access id webmail? Like scholarship info, et?

Junebug, are you getting any emails from WSU to your usual account?

If not, they sent an email today about how to complete the HIPAA training and about going on rounds during orientation.

The HIPAA training will be posted here next week: http://www.med.wayne.edu/admissions/registration_forms/index.asp

On the first day of orientation, we need to dress professionally because we could be rounding that day. We'll find out when we get there.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ksav, thanks for the finaid help. I called, got my loans posted on pipeline, just had to accept them, and then everything you talked about magically appeared! Thanks.

Historically the @wayne.edu id (something like ab1234) that they gave you is NOT the same id that you'll have on your @med.wayne.edu account. Additionally, the @wayne.edu is NOT temporary, it will be around and occasionally used during your entire time at WSU-SOM.
Usually, the @med.wayne.edu id is "first initial all or part of lastname" (all as one)@med.wayne.edu (so it would be [email protected])

You will receive your @med.wayne.edu during orientation.

waiting to figure things out until orientation week really does sound like the best way to go--thank you so much for the info by the way!

speaking of waiting for orientation, they sent out an email earlier today about how we can access the HIPAA training info online starting next week by going to the Entering Freshman Forms link on the admissions website. Once everything is read, we just have to sign the appropriate forms (the ones from the registration packet) & bring them w/ us to orientation (surprise surprise! ;)).

Hey Congrats to all you guys for being admitted to WSU-SOM!!! I'm starting MSII in a few weeks, and I can honestly say that it's a pretty damn nice place to be. The faculty are absolutely not out to get you, the students are cool, and you'll get a good education. So, good luck.

Feel free to PM me with any specific questions, or post em in a separate thread in the allo forum and I'll do my best to answer whatever I can.

Quick question, are you all going to do the basic insurance (and have a 1000 dollar deductible)? Or do the medium (and have a 500 dollar deductible)? Cause, the medium sounds better.... Thoughts?

Quick question, are you all going to do the basic insurance (and have a 1000 dollar deductible)? Or do the medium (and have a 500 dollar deductible)? Cause, the medium sounds better.... Thoughts?

Part of the answer to that depends on how much you think that you are going to have to use the insurance.

I have always rolled the dice and opted for the lower premiums and the higher deductible - but depending on how much you have to use it other plans may be better for you.

I agree with my buddy oldjeeps. It really all depends on your state of health and prescription needs, when deciding on insurance plans. I tend to favor the higher deductable, lower premium as well though.

go with the low option unless you have a family or plan on having a family (or perhaps you have some chronic illness that requires frequent labs and doctors visits).

The way I see it is if you add up the premiums plus the deductibles you are paying pretty much the same amount rather its for the high, medium or basic insurance option.

Annual coverage cost for one person (in network)
high option: deductible + premium (100 + 3102 = 3202)
medium option: deductible + premium (500 + 2693 = 3193)
basic option: deductible + premium (1000 + 2244 = 3244)

So what is evry one going to buy for school supplies other than the usual : pens, pencils and paper.

So what is evry one going to buy for school supplies other than the usual : pens, pencils and paper.

y'all are going to want to have a dry erase board - makes life easier for all of the memorizing for Gross

I'm not sure if it's already been asked, but are people buying Pocket PCs before school starts?

I'm not sure if it's already been asked, but are people buying Pocket PCs before school starts?

it was asked before and the general consensus seemed to be: wait until 2nd year.

Uhh so I am an idiot when it comes to this loan stuff. I have more questions for you guys...

I am doing a bunch of applications to different lenders and I am finding no where in the apps or MPNs that states the conditions and benefits that are being advertised on the websites and through WSU. Where is there an official agreement that your interest rate during disbursement is X and that repayment rate is X and your benefits are X if you do X...

Anyone know?
Thanks so much!

Uhh so I am an idiot when it comes to this loan stuff. I have more questions for you guys...

I am doing a bunch of applications to different lenders and I am finding no where in the apps or MPNs that states the conditions and benefits that are being advertised on the websites and through WSU. Where is there an official agreement that your interest rate during disbursement is X and that repayment rate is X and your benefits are X if you do X...

Anyone know?
Thanks so much!

I must be missing something here; why are you having to do "a bunch of applications to different lenders"?

Also, keep in mind that any benefits you get now probably won't be the benefits that you are repaying under, since also everyone consolidates/refinances their loans at least one time during the life of the loan.

MPN outlines the federal regulations that are set for your loan, whether it is a perkins, stafford, etc. So all the mpn among lenders should be the same. It won't outline the specific details/benefits about the individual loan or lender.

I'm filling out a bunch of applications because, like I said, I'm an idiot.

Ok, so bottom line, just pick the lowest interest rate during disbursement?

If that's the case, Graduate Leverage (I heard they came to speak about financial aid stuff to the med school last year) is offering 5.8% during disbursement.

In case you haven't seen the video from the water main break on 96 Eastbound:
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2007/07/13/chambers.mi.water.main.break.wdiv

Very comforting for those of us living in the 'burbs who have to drive 20 miles to campus every day. Whats particularly shocking is that the road was flooded for 30 minutes and there was no police barricade or detour. Eventually cars just stopped in the middle of the pond--watch for the shot of the police cruiser that tried to drive through it and had to be towed out. And its going to take a week to fix? WTF? Its a little disconcerting to know that this is the state of public works.

Anyways

I can't wait for Detroit to start!

does anyone know if have to buy any scrubs through the school during orientation week?

does anyone know if have to buy any scrubs through the school during orientation week?

You are going to need some scrubs (most people only had one set) for Gross lab.
It doesn't matter where you get them.
There is a sale during orientation week (prosector sale) that sells scrubs (and other previously used in the anatomy lab items - dissecting manual, dissecting kits, etc) that are veterans from the lab - usually the cheapest place to get them unless you can find them free somewhere else.

You are going to need some scrubs (most people only had one set) for Gross lab.
It doesn't matter where you get them.
There is a sale during orientation week (prosector sale) that sells scrubs (and other previously used in the anatomy lab items - dissecting manual, dissecting kits, etc) that are veterans from the lab - usually the cheapest place to get them unless you can find them free somewhere else.

yeah, just get a couple pairs from the prosector sale. they will get pretty nasty, so you prob will not want to waste money buying new ones. the hospitals give you (used) scrubs during third year. i know of some girls that do have problems finding scrubs that are small enough to fit them....

The way I see it is if you add up the premiums plus the deductibles you are paying pretty much the same amount rather its for the high, medium or basic insurance option.

Annual coverage cost for one person (in network)
high option: deductible + premium (100 + 3102 = 3202)
medium option: deductible + premium (500 + 2693 = 3193)
basic option: deductible + premium (1000 + 2244 = 3244)

exactly, so you might as well go with the basic option. odds are you won't pay all of your deductible and will save close to $1000. nothing to lose (if i understand this correctly.

what i never understood is how wayne's bcbs only covers 80% after deductible. i found plans that were $1000-2000 for 2 people with $2500 deductibles that payed 100% after deductible (they however did not have rx coverage or preventive care coverage). But still... if i am in an accident and run up a $50k hospital bill i think i would rather having 100% covered after deductible. Isn't this the reason they want us to have insurance is so that we are covered in the case of an accident? oh well... i am now insured under my wife anyways.

Does anyone know if we're suppose to mail in the insurance application form or keep it until orientation?

i was under the impression to bring insurance stuff to orientation.

it's my understanding that the only thing we need to mail in at this point is the hipaa form. by the 24th?

call to make sure. can't hurt.

i was under the impression to bring insurance stuff to orientation.

it's my understanding that the only thing we need to mail in at this point is the hipaa form. by the 24th?

call to make sure. can't hurt.

Probably the best thing to do is to look through any material that they sent you and see what the instructions say - the registration material/packet is usually fairly straightforward.
Other option would be to keep the original and mail a copy. Granted things change from year to year, but I have no recollection of having to mail anything in at this point in the pre-MS1 summer.

Rule of thumb #1 for anything that you submit to WSU-SOM: ALWAYS keep a copy (since some offices are known for their ability to loose paperwork).

Does anyone know if we're suppose to mail in the insurance application form or keep it until orientation?

I had the same question and called... we're just supposed to bring the form to orientation.

You have 5 days of orientation. They'll walk you through things pretty well. It's very stress free and I had a pretty good time. You'll make some friends right off the bat even.

My experience as a 1st year was that it really wasn't terribly overwhelming. Wayne does a good job in that they're NOT out to get you. I didn't think we were thrown to the wolves or anything like that. They're not like "hahahaha, welcome to MEDICAL SCHOOL! hahahahah" Once you're in, they treat you very well (in general) and like an adult. I'm very happy being at WSU. There are opportunities to do pretty much anything you want.

You have 5 days of orientation. They'll walk you through things pretty well. It's very stress free and I had a pretty good time. You'll make some friends right off the bat even.

My experience as a 1st year was that it really wasn't terribly overwhelming. Wayne does a good job in that they're NOT out to get you. I didn't think we were thrown to the wolves or anything like that. They're not like "hahahaha, welcome to MEDICAL SCHOOL! hahahahah" Once you're in, they treat you very well (in general) and like an adult. I'm very happy being at WSU. There are opportunities to do pretty much anything you want.

Thanks for the cheery post.

Did you find any particular textbooks helpful during your first year? Are any of the "required" texts truly worth buying?

Thanks for the cheery post.

Did you find any particular textbooks helpful during your first year? Are any of the "required" texts truly worth buying?
As a 4th year, I'll echo everything that cfdavid said. Although Wayne may not be the most efficient, many of the things people complain about happen at every medical school. Don't sweat the little stuff, they will let you know before you are going to mess something up. Hell, one of my good friends got away with not paying tuition until may of his first year somehow. Eventually one of the Fin Aid ladies actually stopped him and made him come sit down and fill out the paperwork with her. You have to try real hard to get kicked out of Wayne. They really do look out for you and walk you through everything and there is plenty of help there if you need it. They give you a long leash to be independent, which is nice.

As for some of the questions above:

1) Pocket PCs? Hold off, useless during your first 2 years.

2) Office supplies? Buy stuff as you need it, no need to waste money on stuff you won't use. Some people go through highlighters and packs of 50 different colored pens like they are going out of style. Others like me used only a black pen, so I say wait.

3) Books? The key books back in the day for me were, Netter Anatomy Atlas and BRS Physiology otherwise the notes were key. Now you probably need the anatomy and biochemistry texts since they use those now instead of notes. It is possible to honor every test at Wayne using just the notes.

4) Studying? Study like an absolute fiend for the first tests, then scale back as possible. You don't want to do poorly on the first tests because it can hurt you in the end. Med school tests are not like undergrad where it is important to know the concepts. Rather, it's important to literally know everything presented or in the notes.

5)Orientation week? Pretty much B.S. Just show up and chill, make new friends. Make sure to go to all the parties, it is a good way to meet new people.

Feel free to ask any questions.