Wayne State Class of 2011 thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No clue how the list was generated. It's probably random, though. Imagine the time and money it would take to selectively create a list of students to offer deferment benefits when WSU just wants people to defer asap. :)

I have a personal situation where it could be beneficial to defer, but it's way too late this summer in terms of my situation to plan a year off. Plus, I already have a roommate and lease, and I cannot wait for med school to start!

That's a great attitude to have. You'll do great. Med school (at least 1st year, and I'd bet the other years as well) is really about attitude and how hard you're willing to work.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for the cheery post.

Did you find any particular textbooks helpful during your first year? Are any of the "required" texts truly worth buying?

Everything ddmo said except that I enjoyed orientation a bit more than perhaps he did (and I'm not the "orientation/cushy feely" type either).

As for texts, I bought a few. The only ones I used were BRS physiology, and also Costanzo's Physiology text. I've read it this summer as well, and it's very well written.

Ofcourse, Rohens and Netters are necessary. And, you'll need Gray's for students as that's what the anatomy course followed. The biochem text was pretty good (this may be contended by some), but there WERE some errors (most of which were pointed out by the profs, which was cool).

But, just hang loose on buying too much. Like ddmo said, you can buy em as you need em.

I also bought a few other books (one of the cardio phys that was recommended) that I did not find particularly useful.

***Most of the PDFs they post on blackboard (from prof's PPT slides) that are presented are password protected. I'd recommend downloading a PDF cracker (some are free. i paid 24$ for one and it was well worth it). Like undergrad, most of the info tested on are from what's presented by the profs (though all is technically fair game). So, the PDFs of the lecture PPTs are useful to carry around and study from. This is important in my opinion.

SOME profs make the PPTs available, but often they were late in making them available in our mailboxes. Also, they were usually small print and black and white. By being able to crack the PDF files (they warned against this, so be careful whom you share with), you can control size and color etc., as well as get em printed out as soon as they are posted on blackboard.

This was important for biochem and physio mostly.

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious, but I can't figure out the lender options for stafford loans. All the lenders seem to have to same basic offers, but the Chase-Michigan Students First Program offers no interest after the first 36 on-time payments. Is there a catch? Based on what I would borrow (I am OOS), I would pay back 240k to Chase, but about $350k with the other lenders.

So is this really 'free' money? Or am I drinking the kool-aid?

Members don't see this ad :)
The Chase deal does seem pretty good.
One thing I noticed about them is if you ever are late on a single payment, you lose or don't get the deal. Some of the other companies are more forgiving about their discounts. As long as you have an account with bill pay set up though it probably isnt an issue.

I gave myself a ridiculous headache about loans. Many of my friends went with CitiBank. I went off the suggested list, however, and found some other good options as well. Keep in mind that I pretty much figured out all of this stuff on my own and have no idea if I understand it correctly.

T.H.E. is 6.8% at disbursement and 5.5% during repayment until you miss a payment. You have an unlimited number of chances to get the -1.3% back, though, and if I remember or understand correctly you only need to make one on-time payment to get it back. Pretty stable.

Graduate Leverage gives you a quote after you enter your info. I don't really know how they work, but a friend who is going to be an M2 said they gave a presentation at the med school last year. They gave me a solid 5.8% during disbursement and repayment. Absolute. I picked GL.

From what I understand, the loan benefits are different every year so you just need pick what is good for the time being. I kept in mind that I might want to pick a different lender next year and that I may eventually consolidate my loans.

Hope that helps!

I am loan no expert either. But from my personal research, just go with the lender with the biggest interest rate reduction immediately at disbursement. Because firstly it is generally better to have your benefits upfront instead of the back end (more accumulated interest). Secondly most peeps just consolidate their loans before residency anyways, which totally throws all of those benefits out the window.

I am loan no expert either. But from my personal research, just go with the lender with the biggest interest rate reduction immediately at disbursement. Because firstly it is generally better to have your benefits upfront instead of the back end (more accumulated interest). Secondly most peeps just consolidate their loans before residency anyways, which totally throws all of those benefits out the window.

exactly... which makes MEDloans the best pick I think? It's what all the Wayne State elders have been tauting...

exactly... which makes MEDloans the best pick I think? It's what all the Wayne State elders have been tauting...

well MEDloans offer you a .3% interest rate reduction (6.5%) and this year graduate leverage is offering a 1% interest rate reudction (5.8%). So as far as my loan research goes, graduate leverage is offering the best loan benefits.

So what was the deal with the class of 2011ers that I saw wondering around Scott Hall today?
I know that orientation hasn't started, yet. Was it some sort of pre-orientation or just a bunch of gunners grabbing their histo notes?

So what was the deal with the class of 2011ers that I saw wondering around Scott Hall today?
I know that orientation hasn't started, yet. Was it some sort of pre-orientation or just a bunch of gunners grabbing their histo notes?

hope not. seems like most students at wayne state seem like the laid-back type. i think there was supposed to be a enrichment-type of something going on this week...tailored especially for those who've been out of school for a while.

gunners=:thumbdown:

hope not. seems like most students at wayne state seem like the laid-back type. i think there was supposed to be a enrichment-type of something going on this week...tailored especially for those who've been out of school for a while.

Always possible that it was some sort of "enrichment-type activities" (to bring folks up to speed), but I certainly wouldn't say that the individuals I saw looked like they had been out of school for a while (I can usually spot a non-trad. and they certainly were not -didn't look or act like - the standard non-trad).

And after what I observed let me give y'all a small reminder. In general terms you do NOT exit SH through the doors that are in the stairwells - they are all (with one exception) emergency exits and therefore are alarmed.

a laid back med student???!! hahaha:laugh:

to answer the question as to why we were all there... there was an ice cream social get to know you thing going on... just hanging out and meeting people, not anything crazy.

Members don't see this ad :)
to answer the question as to why we were all there... there was an ice cream social get to know you thing going on... just hanging out and meeting people, not anything crazy.

I'm pretty sure they were wodering about 5 days ago. Not the ice cream social.

So we have been officially screwed by the WSU SOM Board of Governors with a $7,000 tuition increase for 2007-2008. Where the hell does the money go?

One small correction, you have been Wayne'd by the WSU Board of Governors - the SOM does not have its own Board of Governors.

As far as I have been able to tell over to main campus to subsidize the undergrads.

Also, let me welcome all of you newly minted MS1s to Wayne. Please feel free to join the rest of the student body (or at least those that are on student doctor) over at http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=362739&page=12.

I would say don't hesitate to contact any of us with any questions that you might have. Also, Wayne does a Big Sib-Little Sib thing - I would suggest making use of your big sib (if you click with them - if not then find an upper classman that you do click with) for tips/hints/suggestions/etc.

I was looking through the academic calendar for MS-1, and it says the anatomy exams are from 8am - 5pm. Is it really a 9 hour exam or what, because that seems a bit ridiculous?!

Few thoughts:
-You might be better off trying that question over at http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=362739&page=12 where you are more likely to find some of the current MS2s - who will be more likely to know the way things are currently being handled.
-My memory of some of the finer details of MS1 are getting kind of fuzzy; but what I recall was that the 8-5 was not just for anatomy, but also included histo.
--The first three exam days will each include 3 exams - 1 anatomy written, 1 anatomy practical, and 1 histology (for unit four they separated histo and anatomy)
--my class was broken up into smaller groups with staggered start times, so that there were not too many people in any one stage at a time. And since your class is even larger I am doubt that will have changed
--Due to the staggered start times your test day will most likely not run 8-5, but as a class the testing will cover most if not all of that time.
-feel free to send me any questions that you might have and I'll see what I can do to help you figure out an answer

I was looking through the academic calendar for MS-1, and it says the anatomy exams are from 8am - 5pm. Is it really a 9 hour exam or what, because that seems a bit ridiculous?!

Yeah, it definitely is not fun... But it's not all one test. During that span, you have an Anatomy written exam, Histo written exam, and the Anatomy practical. You get about a half hour or 45 min for lunch in there as well. However, if you use all of the allotted time on your written exams, you could definitely be seeing 6-7 hours of test taking in there.

Rinse, repeat three more times until end of unit. Don't worry, after this you wont have test days like this again for a while. The rest of the year one units have tests on different days (at least, they did last year).

the 3 exams go for most of the time... i think you get an hour or a little more for lunch. it is not THAT bad.... you are given plenty of time for each exam and it is your only exam day for the month! if my memory serves me right, it is only the first few exams that are like that.

I wanted to know if anybody knew which pages to pre-read for dissection tomorrow (Aug 6th-- Monday).
Thanks

I wanted to know if anybody knew which pages to pre-read for dissection tomorrow (Aug 6th-- Monday).
Thanks

According to p. 5 of Gross Anatomy Notes, they're pp. 55-68 of the Gray's dissection guide.

Thanks

i think the only time i pre-read for dissection was the day before the first day!

So I missed friday and the anatomy fun... Is there a dress code of some sort? Do I need to bring anything other than a lab coat on the first day of lab?

did you find somewhere to live??

i did, thanks for asking. i ended up staying in windsor for a few days while touring the neighborhood around campus. i found a great and cheap apartment about three minutes from scott hall.

So I missed friday and the anatomy fun... Is there a dress code of some sort? Do I need to bring anything other than a lab coat on the first day of lab?

some scrubs to wear underneath the lab coat, a pair of old shoes, latex/nitrile gloves, and a lock if you want a locker in the change rooms beside the lab.

a dissection kit, a dirty netter's and a gray's dissection guide are also required, but more than likely your lab group assembled on friday and will have this covered.

that's all i can remember...

some scrubs to wear underneath the lab coat, a pair of old shoes, latex/nitrile gloves, and a lock if you want a locker in the change rooms beside the lab.

a dissection kit, a dirty netter's and a gray's dissection guide are also required, but more than likely your lab group assembled on friday and will have this covered.

where did you find scrubs? Can we get them at that bookstore by campus?

is a lab coat required? I'm planning on bringing some old pair of scrubs I dont really care too much about.

is a lab coat required? I'm planning on bringing some old pair of scrubs I dont really care too much about.

I think I read somewhere that you needed a knee-length coat... but reading over the stuff in the curriculum guide on page 38 it doesn't seem like that's the case

EDIT: now reading it again it seems like the lab coat is necessary ???

i bought an old pair of scrubs at the sale in the cafeteria on thursday for $10, which i now know is expensive as I bought a second pair today for $2.50 at the Value World on woodward. (I also bought a lab coat and old t-shirts there for like $2 each).

I'm pretty sure they said lab coats are mandatory.

i bought an old pair of scrubs at the sale in the cafeteria on thursday for $10, which i now know is expensive as I bought a second pair today for $2.50 at the Value World on woodward. (I also bought a lab coat and old t-shirts there for like $2 each).

I'm pretty sure they said lab coats are mandatory.

what defines "labcoat"... can it just be buttoned in the front or does it have to be tied in the back...

uhm.. they didn't get that detailed about it.

and they do sell scrubs at the st.matthews bookstore - i believe $20 for a set?

uhm.. they didn't get that detailed about it.

and they do sell scrubs at the st.matthews bookstore - i believe $20 for a set?

so... what does your lab coat look like? I wish I had some pictures of some anatomy students somewhere

i know a new labcoat (think of our white coats from the ceremony, except knee-length) is only $14, but I dont want to shell it out if I dont reeeeeally need one.

Dude, sometimes, I think all we're here for is to make the school some $$$ :(

i know a new labcoat (think of our white coats from the ceremony, except knee-length) is only $14, but I dont want to shell it out if I dont reeeeeally need one.

Dude, sometimes, I think all we're here for is to make the school some $$$ :(

i can't remember if one is required or not... I bought one from the student sale supra mentioned (knee length white coat that buttons in the front). you can always just go and find out. they won't fault you the first day. but yeah, get some old scrubs (don't pay full price- some people also wear old clothes), some old shoes (fluids will get on your shoes), and a lock for the locker. You can also bring a dissector set and the dissecting guide, but prob someone at your table will have one.

i can't remember if one is required or not... I bought one from the student sale supra mentioned (knee length white coat that buttons in the front). you can always just go and find out. they won't fault you the first day. but yeah, get some old scrubs (don't pay full price- some people also wear old clothes), some old shoes (fluids will get on your shoes), and a lock for the locker. You can also bring a dissector set and the dissecting guide, but prob someone at your table will have one.

thank you for being so thorough in answering my questions :thumbup:

They say that lab coats are required, but you don't need to wear them all the time, maybe 1/4 - 1/3 of the students wore them everyday. I would say the only time I wore mine every day was when we were doing internal thorax/abdominal/pelvic areas. For the extremeties/head it isn't likely that your forearms are going to be covered in gunk.

so... what does your lab coat look like? I wish I had some pictures of some anatomy students somewhere

OK, here's a picture taken of my gross group on the last day of gross to give you an idea. I may have altered the appearance of some of the members

Attachments

• gross.png
    196.9 KB · Views: 139
OK, here's a picture taken of my gross group on the last day of gross to give you an idea. I may have altered the appearance of some of the members

5 bagchi's!

Hmmm... which Bagchi am I????

That is so funny!!

Yeah, I really liked my lab coat. I always wore it. I washed it a 2-3 times through the class. SOME PEOPLE didn't wash theirs at all.... ahem..... you can tell in the picture! Gross!!!

That is so funny!!

Yeah, I really liked my lab coat. I always wore it. I washed it a 2-3 times through the class. SOME PEOPLE didn't wash theirs at all.... ahem..... you can tell in the picture! Gross!!!

hey, why am i not in that picture???? and i was told i was an honorary member, yet i was never told about a group picture?? :(

does anyone know how we can print out the adobe files/ppt from lecture? I know the profs protected it but I'm sure there are ways around it.

thanks

That is so funny!!

I washed my lab coat . . . . once - oh wait, maybe that was my scrubs. I think it was Ireland that told me that mine was the dirtiest coat he'd seen in years.