Wayne State Secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jezzielin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Oh, how I long for this one :( ! Where are you sweet, sweet WSU? :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

Here here! That and Drexel are the only ones I'm still waiting for. Not that it would do anything if I got it, bc even after I submitted it would be more waiting. But atleast this part of the process would be over!!

nvshelat said:
Here here! That and Drexel are the only ones I'm still waiting for. Not that it would do anything if I got it, bc even after I submitted it would be more waiting. But atleast this part of the process would be over!!

Agreed, I would love to take a chance on this school! It is like 20 minutes from my home, which means close to family, boyfriend (soon to be fiance? :rolleyes: ), and I will just be so glad I am IN STATE!

Time will tell... :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
Just posted this in the got secondaries thread too:

I received Wayne State in the mail yesterday.

AMCAS processed: 7/15
"We have your primary" email: 8/3
Secondary via snail mail (MI resident): 8/6

I'm a Michigan resident. I got the WSU secondary in the mail on Friday.

Me too. I got it two days ago.

Does anyone know what "one-typed page" means for the essay length? Is that double-spaced, 1.5, or single? It means a lot in terms of how much detail is allowed.

Thanks.

for anyone worried about having not received a WSU secondary yet: i called the office today and they said they just started reviewing applicants and sent out a few hundred secondaries last week but are yet to get through the entire applicant pool (mine being among these yet-to-be evaluated applications, thankfully!).

KevinZ said:
Me too. I got it two days ago.

Does anyone know what "one-typed page" means for the essay length? Is that double-spaced, 1.5, or single? It means a lot in terms of how much detail is allowed.

Thanks.

What is the question or topic for the one-typed page essay?

Coloradohockey said:
What is the question or topic for the one-typed page essay?
Choose 1 from each group.

Group I
A. Describe experience with others from diverse backgrounds, what you learned, etc.
B. Discuss concept of cultural diversity and how relevant to practice of medicine
C. Personal challenges anticipated @ urban medical school

Group II.
A. What (non-family) individual has had the most influence on you. Why?
B. Describe toughest challenge & how handled.
C. Most significant event or accomplishment.

Group III (re-app only)
A. What is your understanding of why you have not been accepted before? What did you change to get it now?

any one using Virtual Evals...has wayne state received ur letters through this system yet?

Yes they have recieved mine and my school uses VE

So, is it okay to change this from a secondary thread to just a general Wayne thread?

I was there for an interview on Monday (with wowzer & mtDNA) and had a great day. The staff was very friendly. My fellow interviewees seemed pretty cool. Our student tour guide was helpful (even with a 1:00 exam right after our 12:00 tour.)

The facilities seemed a little older than some other schools, but not old and run-down, just not brand new. I do wonder where they're going to put the 30 additional students if it is true that the next class is going to be larger than those in the past.

I liked the campus. I think I was expecting the surrounding area to be totally crappy based on some of the reports that I'd heard. Now I think those were just the views of people who aren't used to being in the city. It wasn't a totally booming area, but not as bad as some make it out to be.

For me the biggest selling point is the quality of training, and their strong clinical exposure was reinforced several times.

All in all, it was a pretty good day. I hope to hear some good news next month.

Good luck to everyone! :luck:

I had a chance to visit the hospitals after my interview at 2pm (same day as SailCrazy and mtDNA) with a friend who is a 3rd year there. They really should add this to the tour, because the quality and resources of their hospitals would add SO MUCH to the perceived quality of the school.

Unlike many schools that are associated with only a few hospitals, Wayne State is strongly affiliated with at least 10, all of which are connected by tunnels. Because of these affiliations, there is a lot of focus on specific fields related to medicine, and there are a lot of opportunities for probably anything you would want to consider as a career objective.

Wayne State is often looked down on because of 1.) the med. sci. building, 2.) Detroit, and 3.) US News Rankings. Let's clear up things about this:

1. Yeah, the building is old and I can see why everyone think's its ghetto. However, I like the "smallness" of the bullding becuase it simulates a high school experience of walking down the halls and always bumping into another student you knlow. Now, jsut throw in some doctors and you have a positive atmosphere filled with student-doctor interactions. Thus, the atmosphere is much more social.
Of course, the tour needs to be revamped. They NEED to show the hospitals. I'd bet that there would be dozens of people who would career Wayne State over another school if they could tour the hospital.

2. Yeah, Detroit can be bad. Not where Wayne State is. You are surrounded by university-related buildings, and the undergrad campus and other schools are not far away. Wayne State has a HUGE variety of trauma cases and emphasis on clinical practice, so this should be a top choice for those considering Emergency Medicine.

3. Wayne State is not ranked as one of the top 50 colleges by USNews. But then again, how much excess weight is put on research and NIH (and related) grants? Wayne State makes a point of not focusing too much on research (which can be a turn-off or turn-on based on what you want), but has a huge outreach in terms of clinical opps. IF you are a Michigan resident, you will have te chance of having your rotations at almsot any major hospital in Southeastern Michigan. So, if you want to practice in Michigan, Wayne State sets you up for it.

I agree with you, Wowzer, there are lots of good points & they could do a lot more on the tour to sell themselves. I was still impressed.

How long until October 19?!? :confused:

:laugh:

SailCrazy said:
So, is it okay to change this from a secondary thread to just a general Wayne thread?

I was there for an interview on Monday (with wowzer & mtDNA) and had a great day. The staff was very friendly. My fellow interviewees seemed pretty cool. Our student tour guide was helpful (even with a 1:00 exam right after our 12:00 tour.)

The facilities seemed a little older than some other schools, but not old and run-down, just not brand new. I do wonder where they're going to put the 30 additional students if it is true that the next class is going to be larger than those in the past.

I liked the campus. I think I was expecting the surrounding area to be totally crappy based on some of the reports that I'd heard. Now I think those were just the views of people who aren't used to being in the city. It wasn't a totally booming area, but not as bad as some make it out to be.

For me the biggest selling point is the quality of training, and their strong clinical exposure was reinforced several times.

All in all, it was a pretty good day. I hope to hear some good news next month.

Good luck to everyone! :luck:

Is it true WSUSOM is increasing their class by ~30+ students for 2006? I'm still crossing my fingers for an interview...

Chopianista said:
Is it true WSUSOM is increasing their class by ~30+ students for 2006? I'm still crossing my fingers for an interview...

Don't worry you have plenty of time to get an interview. I do not have the numbers in front of me but WSU interviews hundreds of applicants (have to in order to fill a class of 260+). Interviews only just started in the past couple of weeks and will continue until sometime in (I think I heard) April (or was it May?) - I interviewed in late March and managed to get in.

Regarding the tours, I'll be giving some of them later in the year - what would you liked to see changed with them (considering the time limitations, HIPPA, etc)?

Regarding the rumors of the WSU class size, to my way of thinking anatomy has a cap of 300 students (first years, modified, and grad) so they are limited on how much they can expand.

Has anyone else called in? I'm in! :thumbup: :D

If you haven't called yet, good luck! :luck:

i called in, not accepted.

ive lost all faith

wowzer said:

ive lost all faith

Its not over yet. Plus I'm sure you have other interviews from other schools.

wowzer said:

ive lost all faith

Rejected or they just haven't gotten around to making up their mind?
If rejected, I am a bit surprised that you would have been for an interview and shot down, already – I thought that WSU’s standard approach was to leave you in limbo (on the alternate list or the “we haven’t decided, yet” list) for as long as possible. If you are in the land of limbo you still have plenty of time to get accepted.
There are many people that have been accepted to Wayne that didn't find out until late spring to early summer (even some in my class that found out during orientation week).

SailCrazy said:
Has anyone else called in? I'm in!

If you haven't called yet, good luck!

Congratulations on getting in.