Wayne State University vs University of Vermont (Robert Larner)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sekundus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I believe this is the place to post school vs school polls. So I would like to request recommendations from sdn community on which school to choose between Wayne State University School of Medicine and University of Vermont (Robert Larner) College of Medicine. Some criteria to consider are quality of education, care for students, learning style, housing, location, cultural diversity, etc. All comments are appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Can't come up with a good reason to choose either school unless you post your reasoning first. Are you instate at either of the schools? What is your pro/con list?

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for your reply. My status will be out of state at both schools. So a little higher OOS tuition won't matter for the long run. I don't have much of special requirements from the schools, but specifically, for the first two years, I believe I would benefit more from the traditional self-learning style with less extra curricular/group activities. I was told that UV is transforming into a more modern teaching style with the elimination of lectures and Wayne is also trying to go into that direction. So I am having difficulty deciding. As for the rest of above criteria, it would be great if there are many housing options near the school such as condos, apartments, campus housing etc. I would also prefer not to move around too much for clinical rotations and to have more culturally diverse student body. I also don't mind class size, big or small.

Last edited:
I'd go with Wayne. They decreased their OOS tuition to match up with the national average- Vermont's is off the charts. Also, Wayne's got a bigger rep nationwide than Vermont does. You also get to get clinical right away.

Vermont's a lot less urban, obviously, so if you're scared of Detroit or something, go to Vermont.