Wayne State vs University of Illinois (Peoria)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BellaVerde

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Struggling to decide between these two. Mostly comes down to financial vs emotional wishes

University of Illinois

Pro:
In-state tuition (would need to take out 200K in loans)

Con:
Was placed in the Peoria campus. I'd been very set on attending school in a large city and am not very enthusiastic about Peoria

Wayne
Pros:
In a much larger city (I like Detroit a lot and have family/friends there)
Possibility of 3 year MD program with direct entry into their derm residency (very interested in applying into this if I choose to go)
I enjoyed the interview experience much more. Felt that the faculty/students were very friendly and down-to-earth

Con:
Out of state tuition is twice as expensive (or 1.5x as expensive if I can get into the 3 year MD). Would need to take 300-400K out in loans

Ultimately I feel ridiculous considering spending twice the amount of money just because I want to live in a big city but I'm pretty hung up on it and would like other peoples' opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

I would not recommend spending 400k just because you want to live in a city. Your residency can be (and likely will be) in a metropolitan area.

Reactions: 1 users