Wayne State (vs. EVMS, vs. MCW)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

detm78

Any opinions on how you would rank Wayne State next to EVMS and MCW?

I just got an outright acceptance to Wayne State today even though I interviewed later, on April 22. I was quite surprised. I hope this gives hope to others who interviewed later in the season.

I plan on withdrawing from WSU ASAP, but I thought I'd like to hear opinions on Wayne State before I go ahead and do that.

When/if I do withdraw, Amma, I hope you get that spot. Have you called to let them know you're interested? Is the admissions office pretty nice?

Best wishes to everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Wayne State has AWESOME clinical rotation sites. It is in the middle of downtown Detroit, on a campus with the most prestigious hospitals in the state of Michigan (with the possible exception of the University of Michigan's hospital). The hospitals are all connected by tunnels (or something like that) to the university, and to eachother, and Wayne State's med students are basically the only med students there. Detroit has a diverse population and a pretty large one (one of the ten biggest cities in the U.S.), so you'll see quite a variety of pathology. All of the hospitals (I think) are Level 1 trauma centers, and Henry Ford hospital does alot of transplants. I really felt that of all the schools I applid to, Wayne had the cream of the crop when it came to rotations. I had a VERY difficult time turning them down after I was accepted last year. They have a low tuition (in-state) and my GOD the hospitals you get to rotate through. I decided against Wayne ONLY because it wasn't a D.O school, and I didn't like the idea of being in a class of 250. With regards to comparing schools, I hardly ever hear people talk about how the basic sciences are taught - oftentimes it comes down to the rotations, and you'll meet some of Michigan's most famous physicians to write you letters too. So don't count Wayne out (unless you don't want to live in Detroit or something) Anyway, good luck with your decision.