WCUCOM vs AZCOM vs Touro-NY(Harlem)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oorham

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I’m an international applicant and have been fortunate to be accepted to WCUCOM. I have also been placed on the waitlist at Touro- Harlem and AZCOM. My interviews at Touro and AZCOM were online. I’ve never been to Arizona or NY and I’m afraid I can’t make an informed decision. I know that I might never be chosen from the waitlist but in case I receive an acceptance from these two schools, I don’t know which one I should choose. Also, if I get accepted, I’ll only have a few days to make a decision. The deposit for AZCOM is only $200 but for Touro I have to pay $3000 if I get accepted, so I would like to make a decision as soon as possible.

I’ve lived both in an oven and in a freezer so climate isn’t a factor.

WCUCOM:

Pros:
Oh my God, people of Mississippi were some of the kindest people I’ve ever met. Students seemed to be extremely supportive of each other, and they were happy!
Cheaper tuition ~ $52,000
Students have one week of exams each month (not sure if it’s a good/bad thing)
Standardized patient encounter for first year students
Cost of living

Cons:
Mandatory attendance (since they’re increasing the class size, they might change this)
~ 75% of students choose primary care
All the rotations are preceptor-based
No research opportunities

AZCOM:

Pros:
Established school
Research opportunities
Cost of living
Good reputation
Students match into specialties other than primary care
Integrated ultrasound in their curriculum
Rotations are preceptor-based and ward-based

Cons:
TUITION$$$$- (for the 2020-2021 academic year, it is
$74,035)
I contacted several current students on SDN and they all mentioned that the tuition is nowhere near the level of education they’re getting
Large class
There were a few current students during the student panel but they didn’t seem to be happy. I could be wrong though because it’s hard to judge when you can’t talk to someone in person and when the dean is present!
Weekly exams (I don’t know if it’s necessarily a bad thing)
No patient interaction during the first year

Touro- Harlem:

Pros:
Smaller class size compared to AZCOM
Students seemed to be happy during the online interview but again dean was present so I’m not sure if they shared all of their concerns with us
Flipped classroom --> Not too sure about this!
Good residency matches
Tuition is lower than AZCOM --> ($58,800 for the 2020-2021 academic year)

Cons:
Cost of living in Manhattan– I don’t have to buy a car for the first 2 years though
Campus is just one building, no gym, no library
Mandatory attendance
Weekly exams (again, I don’t know if it’s necessarily a bad thing)

Thank you for reading my post. Any feedback is appreciated!

@Goro , @hallowmann, @Angus Avagadro, @AlteredScale, I would appreciate hearing your thoughts on these schools if you have the time.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Update: I have been accepted to Touro- Harlem and AZCOM as well. All suggestions are welcome!

Last edited:
Hey there. I'm in a similar position that you were in where I am accepted to both WCUCOM and AZCOM. May I ask what you ended up choosing on and why? I would seriously appreciate any suggestions.

May i ask what either of you decided, why did you pick that school, are you happy with your decision, any regrets and what would you do differently. thank you.

Reactions: 1 user