WesternU COMP vs KCU-KC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boulderbro12

Reaction score
Western U
Pros
  • Strong match list w/ an emphasis in SoCal.
  • Longitudinal tracks sound appealing
  • proximity to family and SO, (I'm from OC) but will still need to move out to Pomona area.
  • Nicer, warmer weather.
  • Non-mandatory lectures
  • People have told me that WU has a strong reputation
  • Moderately

Cons
  • Moderate emphasis on OMM
  • Graded curriculum - H/HP/P/F
  • Lottery system for clinicals
  • Higher COL
  • Campus seems pretty small in virtual tours
  • 63k tuition

KCU-KC
Pros
  • Strong match list
  • H/P/F Curriculum
  • Minimal emphasis on OMM
  • Non-mandatory lectures
  • In a decently big city
  • Nice campus
  • Rotation sites all over US, including norCal
  • 54k tuition

Cons
  • Located in the midwest
  • Harder to form connections w/ programs in SoCal?
  • Moving costs/ Travel costs during holidays
  • Slightly Larger class size - 270 vs 228

Summary: With DO deposits coming up aggressively soon, I want to ensure I make the best informed choice for myself. I've been mentally set on WesternU for awhile due to the high chance of matching in SoCal (Interested in Anes.) and proximity to home. However, there are many things about KCU that's appealing, but I'm wondering if those differences justify moving to the Midwest and forgoing an opportunity to train in SoCal. I also wanted to know if DO school location plays a big role in where I may match in the future. Thanks y'all!

Members don't see this ad.

WesternU, especially if you want to match in SoCal

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Can you expand on your reasons for this pls?
Go to the school where you will be happiest and ultimately will get you where you want to go. WesternU is a great school (I got in last year; didn’t go) and it would go if these were my two choices and I were you.

KCU is a great school, but like you said, much harder to match back to the west coast

Reactions: 1 user
Go to the school where you will be happiest and ultimately will get you where you want to go. WesternU is a great school (I got in last year; didn’t go) and it would go if these were my two choices and I were you.

KCU is a great school, but like you said, much harder to match back to the west coast
Thank you for the insight!