WCVM/ UCVM c/o 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ooh interesting, thank you @LeilaFay for the helpful information!!

It's another day of waiting :p

Members don't see this ad.

I feel like I used up most of my anxiety these past few weeks and now I'm just a sack of crazy :beaver:.

I'm going to need a drink when this is all over :rofl:

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone else gotten any news? I haven't received an email or anything!

Members don't see this ad :)
Nothing :/. I'm only waiting for WCVM, though. I find it strange that UCVM didn't send out a notification as soon as they were finished notifying their successful applicants.

I feel like I used up most of my anxiety these past few weeks and now I'm just a sack of crazy :beaver:.

I'm going to need a drink when this is all over :rofl:

LOL it's a shame this is all over the internet, I think we could probably all benefit at this point from splitting a couple bottles of wine. Although if the news comes out today and it's not good I might need a bottle to myself....or two....and a straw.

And yah, the UCVM thing is weird! It's sucks enough that we didn't get in, but at least send us out a rejection email or something so we're not just left sitting here thinking to ourselves "what if...."

I'm also only waiting for UCVM. I agree @noodle3 , but maybe this week is all the successful and waitlisted people, and next week is the bad news?

No news from WCVM yet?

Well, I haven't heard anything through the grapevine here... So fingers crossed!

I remember a few years back, people got a call on a Saturday too.

Reactions: 1 user
No news from WCVM yet?

Well, I haven't heard anything through the grapevine here... So fingers crossed!

I remember a few years back, people got a call on a Saturday too.

Do they tell you when they send the offers out to the first years?

Yah I had hoped maybe I would see other Alberta applicants talking about it over facebook or something if calls had been made, but I haven't seen anything (although granted I don't personally know many other people who applied, I'm not social enough I guess haha)

But I really can't imagine WCVM hasn't at least made their Alberta calls yet, especially if UCVM was doing it Tuesday, and the schools don't like to be outdone by each other. Maybe I'm trying to be too analytical.

Either way, the waiting continues...

Yea no one on my Facebook feed or the Facebook groups have said anything, but maybe they don't want us to overwhelm them with our questions and anxieties hahaha

Just to follow up on the discussion about ucvm feedback:
I got an email with my scores and a link to the stats a month after my rejection letter and didn't need to ask for the feedback. Two years ago I received feedback 2 months after. Either way, they get it to you!

Two months?? Please tell me they send you an email or something sooner than that confirming you didn't get in haha :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh of course! A month or two after you get a rejection email/letter!

Well, today was graduation day for the class of 2015 - so perhaps the admin folks have been too busy to call AB applicants?

Maybe tomorrow!

And the day is practically over. Living my days 24h each right now haha

I know right? Every day from like 9-6 I'm basically glued to my phone and my email lol this can't be healthy

Another day...this is driving me insane. I think today is the day you guys!

I JUST got my email from Heather and checked my online application... I GOT INTO WCVM! :D

Congrats @ianyniu !! Unfortunately, I didn't get in this year at WCVM. I'm glad to finally have some closure and I will do everything I can to be a member of the class of 2020.

Congratulations to all of you who received good news! As for the rest of us, we should get started on another forum sometime soon :p.

GUYS I'M IN!! OH MY GOD.

When I didn't get a call I was almost positive it was a no. I've been sitting here on this forum for the past half an hour not wanting to open my application because I was so sure it was a rejection email. I feel like I'm dreaming.

I'm so sorry Noodle :( and to anyone else who didn't get good news, this isn't the end!

And congrats Ianyniu!!!

Congratulations!!!

Come on UCVM replyyyyy

Congrats @ianyniu !! Unfortunately, I didn't get in this year at WCVM. I'm glad to finally have some closure and I will do everything I can to be a member of the class of 2020.

Congratulations to all of you who received good news! As for the rest of us, we should get started on another forum sometime soon :p.

2020 will be a good number ;)

Any advice you need, feel free to msg

GUYS I'M IN!! OH MY GOD.

When I didn't get a call I was almost positive it was a no. I've been sitting here on this forum for the past half an hour not wanting to open my application because I was so sure it was a rejection email. I feel like I'm dreaming.

I'm so sorry Noodle :( and to anyone else who didn't get good news, this isn't the end!

And congrats Ianyniu!!!

Congrats!!

Thank you guys! Still seems completely weird that there has been NOTHING from UCVM. My parents had really been holding out hope for them, and we have to answer WCVM by the 10th. They just leaving us hanging? lol

Thanks everyone for the congratulations! It's like a big family here on the forums =)

Congrats to you too @SunnyAntia! I guess we may be seeing each other this coming fall (assuming Calgary doesn't get back to you within the 10th)!

And I'm sorry this year didn't work out for you @noodle3, but stick with it and you'll get in sooner or later! If you want or need any help with your application in the future, feel free to give me a message and I'll do my best to help you out!

This is my first post but I have been watching this board. I just got offered a position into WCVM and figured I would sign on. This is my third application to WCVM as an Alberta resident so don't give up!!

Reactions: 3 users
Congratulations again everyone!!!!!

Also, very off topic, but C-24 is in act..dual citizens beware!

I forgot my password and it wouldn't reset so I made a new account - still me though :) I couldn't wait till I got home to say congratulations to everyone who got in to wcvm!!! I received my Wcvm rejection letter today (as expected) but I still have not received any ucvm updates/emails since the initial phone call Tuesday...it makes me feel like it was all a dream so I have to keep reminding myself that it is happening!

Congrats @Novakin!

Would some successful wcvm applicants mind sharing their success stories? My feedback showed I had a good ranking (just not good enough for an interview, but close). I'd just like to know what you think made you successful this time around!

This is my first post but I have been watching this board. I just got offered a position into WCVM and figured I would sign on. This is my third application to WCVM as an Alberta resident so don't give up!!

Congrats!!

finally some closure :( as expected I got my rejection letter from WCVM today! guess I'll be heading to Edinburgh instead.
BUT.... CONGRATS to those that made it !

Congrats @Novakin!

Would some successful wcvm applicants mind sharing their success stories? My feedback showed I had a good ranking (just not good enough for an interview, but close). I'd just like to know what you think made you successful this time around!

That is very similar to what I received in my rejection letter last year. I received first round interviews on each of my applications but they kept coming back saying I needed to improve on my interview ranking. First off I'd recommend calling and trying to get more specific feedback, I did so when I received my rejection letter last year and it was helpful. Obviously it is very advantageous to focus improvement on those areas they recommend you improve. Aside from that I'm going to recommend a book that was posted about on this site that I found very helpful "An Introduction to Veterinary Medical Ethics: Theory and Cases" 2nd edition by Bernard E. Rollin. I found this book to be very helpful as it helps you frame answers to certain ethical questions in a more logical way than I was doing before. It also does provide insight into certain veterinary stances that perhaps you may not have thought about and provides some extra angles to discuss. However, I responded with what I believed was right. I would also recommend mock interviews with friends, family and colleagues.

Note: I did also do a semester of research with an animal related focus and was working part time at a mixed animal clinic as a tech assistant

finally some closure :( as expected I got my rejection letter from WCVM today! guess I'll be heading to Edinburgh instead.

Man the tuition is something I could not under any circumstance pay for, but I would love to attend Edinburgh!! I have a friend who's studying there and I also took a tour of the university and it is absolutely world class. One of the best vet schools in Europe, and I'd highly recommend going there! Good luck over there with the Scots and congratulations!!!

Agreed with DPolaris, that sounds so amazing! But I could never afford it :(

Dr. Grahn called a few hours ago while I was at work, he could tell that I had already checked my emil haha but it was still nice. So I guess they hadn't done Alberta calls before today, which again just seems so weird considering UCVM was what, Tuesday?

So we don't get to know our ranks, or have any sort of feedback if we're accepted? Obviously I'm not complaining haha I'm just curious :p

Agreed with DPolaris, that sounds so amazing! But I could never afford it :(

Dr. Grahn called a few hours ago while I was at work, he could tell that I had already checked my emil haha but it was still nice. So I guess they hadn't done Alberta calls before today, which again just seems so weird considering UCVM was what, Tuesday?

So we don't get to know our ranks, or have any sort of feedback if we're accepted? Obviously I'm not complaining haha I'm just curious :p

I don't think you get a rank, maybe they don't want you to compare with others and be like "Oh I'm rank 5 you're only 20?" or " Sigh I'm rank 20 and my friends are top 10...."

Last edited:
LOL hey I don't even know what's going on with UCVM, maybe there is still a chance! :D

It's funny actually, when Dr. Grahn called me he was like "Oh, so have you decided between UCVM and WCVM?" and I said "well no, I haven't heard anything from UCVM so I don't think I got in" and he told me "that's funny, usually the vast majority of people who get into WCVM get into UCVM too."

just rub it in Dr. Grahn haha, apparently he doesn't know how horrible my MMI was :p I'm too elated at this point to even care though lol.

I mean he's the Dean so I trust what he says, but to me personally (again, just my opinion) I really felt like the two interview styles were really quite different as far as how they assessed the applicant, I don't necessarily think someone who did well in one would automatically do well in the other.

I guess that makes sense about feedback. I just would find it interesting to see what the interviewers had to say about my interview and what they thought of me.

Congrats @Novakin!

Like Novakin, I was also watching this board for a while and decided to sign on. I also received my acceptance letter from the WCVM today, and I only applied to the WCVM this year. I was in the first round of interviews, and was extremely nervous for the interview because I am a first time applicant and did not know what to expect. For the interview, the best advice I can give anyone for the future is to be honest. Many of the questions I was asked were ethical or opinion questions, not facts, and what they want to do is judge your personality. At one point, one interviewer looked like he fell asleep, and another was on his phone. I ignored these actions completely and kept going, hoping that they were trying to test my reactions. I made them laugh a few times, and was careful to engage them all in my answers and questions. I took reasonable pauses to think about my responses, but not long enough to leave an uncomfortable gap of silence, if that makes sense. I went into my interview with the mindset that I probably wouldn't get in because it was my first time and winged it a bit, which, in retrospect, probably wasn't the best decision I have ever made in my life. Not to say that I didn't take it seriously, but when I didn't answer a question "correctly" and the interviewers pointed it out, which seemed to be often, I didn't let phase me. I admitted when I didn't know something, and gave speculation where I could (which was NOT always the right answer. Again with the honesty). We went over time, but they told me just to ignore the timer and keep going, and the interview continued for at least 15 minutes afterwards, so if the timer goes off, don't be concerned and don't try to rush. I never had the time to do mock interviews, but they probably would have prepared me better and I would recommend that you do them. Make sure that you have good questions to ask at the end as well, because they show that you are interested and have been paying attention, and the interviewers will be able to answer your questions directly, which obviously helps you.

Congratulations to everyone who made it in this year, and all the best to future applicants :)

@Squeaksmom do you know anyone else who has heard back from UCVM? I don't know anyone (personally) who applied :(

@Squeaksmom do you know anyone else who has heard back from UCVM? I don't know anyone (personally) who applied :(

Yes please anyone know? :(

Literally no one I know has heard back, and online only you Capucinus hahaha