WCVM/ UCVM c/o 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't know if anyone else has heard yet - but I got my call tonight from UCVM! Im am so excited but I really am wanting to know if anyone else here got the call...I don't know if more will happen tomorrow (my call was around 745pm calgary time, so kinda late?). Anyway I am nervous and excited...good luck everyone I am eagerly anticipating many calls for all of you :) :) :) :) Dreams do come true!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
No call for me :( I wonder if WCVM did their calls today too. Oh well, hopefully tomorrow we'll be getting some emails. Does anyone know how UCVM tells everyone else how they didn't get in? I know with WCVM it's an email but do they do the same?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations!!!! That's awesome, enjoy the rest of your summer in peace and excitement!!

Sigh, no call for me either.....maybe next year :/

Did your Student Center status change? From the Green Circle to a Yellow/Green tick?

My student center looks exactly the same lol, maybe they'll change them all tomorrow? Seems like they tend to call the accepted people ASAP and the people who didn't get in find out later on.

Darn I just really wish I knew if WCVM had called people today too. I guess I just want to keep my sliver of hope haha but it seems like WCVM always comes out before UCVM.

My student center is exactly the same (green circle)...he said they would be sending me an email in the next day or too with details. So my guess is they haven't gotten around to updating everyones online applications. I can't remember if UCVM calls the waitlist people, but I do know that they get a call if they come off the waitlist.

Edit: no changes to my WCVM application (but I did not get an interview).

I don't know if anyone else has heard yet - but I got my call tonight from UCVM! Im am so excited but I really am wanting to know if anyone else here got the call...I don't know if more will happen tomorrow (my call was around 745pm calgary time, so kinda late?). Anyway I am nervous and excited...good luck everyone I am eagerly anticipating many calls for all of you :) :) :) :) Dreams do come true!!
CONGRATULATIONS!!! You must be estatic! What a nice end to the evening :)

Sunny I wouldn't worry too much- you said you are an equity applicant, right? You are probably with the group that gets emailed from WCVM, which hasn't happened yet. Hope is not lost!!

My student center is exactly the same (green circle)...he said they would be sending me an email in the next day or too with details. So my guess is they haven't gotten around to updating everyones online applications. I can't remember if UCVM calls the waitlist people, but I do know that they get a call if they come off the waitlist.

Edit: no changes to my WCVM application (but I did not get an interview).

I guess tomorrow-ish is my last chance for a phone call :(

CONGRATULATIONS!!! You must be estatic! What a nice end to the evening :)

Sunny I wouldn't worry too much- you said you are an equity applicant, right? You are probably with the group that gets emailed from WCVM, which hasn't happened yet. Hope is not lost!!

I'm so excited! But now I am nervous I want other people to get the call too...My fingers are crossed for you @DPolaris @SunnyAntia @noodle3 .

Haha thank you! Good luck to everyone else!!!

Thanks Noodle :happy: I'm really glad I joined this forum. Aside from it making me kind of crazy and all the refreshing a million times a day, it's nice to have some people to talk to who are going through the same thing! I guess we'll probably be finding out soon, either way I know I'm going to have a hard time sleeping tonight...

And DPolaris (and everyone else) it isn't over till it's over! I'm keeping my chin up and just hoping for the best, you never know what may happen, and like Capucinus said we don't know if the calls are done and even if they are there's still a chance for the waitlist too (OK, maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but what have we got to loose at this point right? haha).

Thanks guys :) It's been really nice to have you all to go through this with. It has been oddly therapeutic. Since Cap got her call tonight, I'm sure we will all know either way for both schools tomorrow. Regardless of what happens, I think this has been a really good experience and can only make the next round of applications even better. Fingers crossed, guys! :xf::xf::xf:

I was accepted to UCVM off the waitlist last year, so I can tell you how it worked for me. When calls went out I was on here and on FB seeing people celebrating that they'd gotten called, and my phone wasn't ringing. The next morning I got an email saying I was on the waiting list. I was wanting to call and see if they'd tell me my rank on the list, but before I had a chance to (I was working full-time so not a lot of chances to call when the office was actually open) I got the call from Dr. Cribb saying that my name had been selected.

Huge congratulations to @Capucinus I can't wait to meet you!!

For the rest of you, keep your spirits up, all is not yet lost! Yes, in a way the waitlist is hell because you're still in limbo... they said maybe... but it's still a chance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey @Squeaksmom thanks for the input! Do you know roughly how many days they split phone calls into? I mean 30 people isn't a lot, eh? They could probably fit them all into yesterday's calling list...

Yea right now I've mostly given up, just hoping for the best or wait list hahaha

Last edited:
@DPolaris yes I was thinking the same. Maybe they called all the accepted candidates yesterday. Or maybe they will call some more people today.

My student center is still green circle.

@MemberS33 hopefully he only called like half yesterday hahahaha.. Same it's still a green circle

I was accepted to UCVM off the waitlist last year, so I can tell you how it worked for me. When calls went out I was on here and on FB seeing people celebrating that they'd gotten called, and my phone wasn't ringing. The next morning I got an email saying I was on the waiting list. I was wanting to call and see if they'd tell me my rank on the list, but before I had a chance to (I was working full-time so not a lot of chances to call when the office was actually open) I got the call from Dr. Cribb saying that my name had been selected.

Huge congratulations to @Capucinus I can't wait to meet you!!

For the rest of you, keep your spirits up, all is not yet lost! Yes, in a way the waitlist is hell because you're still in limbo... they said maybe... but it's still a chance.

@Squeaksmom! I feel like I read over the thread you were in last year a million times. I can't wait to meet you too :)

For everyone else, my student center is still green circle and I still haven't received any emails...but its still only 9am and I suspect the offices are just opening up anyway. :confused:

Congrats to all the successful applicants so far!

No call for me. I'm in the same boat just hoping they're not done calling.

I guess when you think about the amount of people they interview for 30 spots the odds aren't great. And I mean I pretty much knew my essay was poor and I botched the MMI. I think I've given up hope on UCVM for this year, already looking forward to doing that MMI again next year Nyeeeeeh :grumpy:

No emails or notifications from either yet. Still hanging tight for WCVM. Argh I just want this over with, I can't concentrate on anything else :dead:

Yea you're definitely right. They interview like 120-130, so your odds are basically 25% as opposed to the 50% of WCVM if you get the interview....I also think my essay and MMI were average at best, so yea definitely have to face the MMI again next year...

I'm at work and I'm refreshing this page every time I can get away, I probably look like a maniac :p

@SunnyAntia I have given up on UCVM at this point as well.. They interview a lot of people.
I just want them to tell me the final decision (acceptance or rejection) and put me out of this misery. :(

MUAHA I'm the exact same :laugh: don't have to work until later today so I'm pretty much just sitting here staring at my email...and refreshing...and refreshing...THIS is like torture guys haha, I want to laugh but I want to cry.

But from what others have said going through the interview process even just once can really help so much when you go through it the second time. I think this would be especially true for me if I have to do WCVM again, even just looking back I can really see where I could improve a lot for next year. The MMI weell, not so much, I don't think I'll ever find that format comfortable.

It's just the thought of being stuck in a rut that sucks :( especially now that I'm graduating in a week. Imagining the next year just hanging around my home town waiting and waiting, sigh, it's really not an appealing thought. Especially since the whole application process just seems to drag and drag once you apply in like what, December?

What are your plans for next year if you don't get in? I know some of my friends who didn't get into Med School are thinking of either a Masters program or maybe just working a full time job.

For Masters, do the vet schools look at your grades for that? Or is it just the last 2 UNDERGRADUATE years? Or is it last 2 years of no matter what you did (masters/phd/tech school)?

I'm not really sure for UCVM, but I can tell you what Heather told us at the WCVM info session (although how they determine grades and GPA is different for both schools so not sure if it's relevant for both)

She told us that if your grades are not good enough to get you an interview, or if you are looking to boost your overall GPA to give you a better chance, that you are better off starting another undergrad degree than going for a masters. I think her reasoning for this was because of the sheer amount of variability between maters/graduate programs, and the amount of actual courses you have to take with them (again, variable and it can be less than normal, but I emphasize that I am NOT a masters student and therefore i'm definitely not an expert on the subject) for WCVM at least, they are solely looking at your grades for interviews, so while a masters program may give you great experience she said they often don't help change your GPA enough to make them a great option for people who aren't getting interviews. Once again, this is just what Heather told us, if any of you have differing opinions on the subject feel free to share.

As far as whether your masters would be counted as part of your two previous years I really don't know.

I'm considering applying to go back to the college in my home town and maybe starting a new degree or diploma in the fall if I don't get in. Not even so much for the grade booster (apptly my grades are good enough to get an interview, at least this year) but so that I could have something to be working towards, and so I could meet new people and get more involved in clubs and leadership activities at the school.

I'm probably going to volunteer at a few other clinics, I have a couple stables that have told me they'll take me on as a volunteer for the summer and I'll probably just work a lot too. Not the most appealing thought haha but the interviews are where I struggled so getting more experience really is my only option at this point.

Sounds like we're all being tortured. I wish you all the best in making plans for the coming year! It's really tough not knowing what you'll be doing. I just finished my undergrad so this year will be very different.

@DPolaris I believe they take into account your masters grades!

I still have another year of undergrad left, but I'm trying to plan ahead in case the worst happens after next year and I don't get in haha! Might work on a masters that has a good career outlook while continuing to try and get into vet :p

Just going to try and concentrate on work for now, but it's almost lunch time so that's another hour of me not doing anything, just eating and refreshing :D

So far only 1 person from this forum got a call from UCVM?

What are your plans for next year if you don't get in? I know some of my friends who didn't get into Med School are thinking of either a Masters program or maybe just working a full time job.

For Masters, do the vet schools look at your grades for that? Or is it just the last 2 UNDERGRADUATE years? Or is it last 2 years of no matter what you did (masters/phd/tech school)?

So this has pretty much been answered I think but I can weigh in on this one a bit! I have a research based PhD so while it is full time, there are only 4 classes in the whole degree that have grades so this is ignored completely by UCVM since they only count "full terms". As for WCVM, they just get your GPA of everything combined (with the 1/3 best year thing that I'm sure everyone knows about) so graduate grades are factored in but only as much as any other grade so can only do so much. I would say if you are doing a graduate degree because you may want to use it as another career option then go for it, but as for helping to get into vet school its likely not the best approach and as mentioned, more undergrad (or maybe a course based masters?) would be the best bet for upping the GPA!

Congrats on the acceptance Capucinus!!

I didn't get interviews this year, which was disappointing obviously, but I'm not envious of you guys now doing more anxious waiting, now for acceptances! Anyone who doesn't make it this year, I'll see you back here next year. Its such a competitive program so just be proud/happy that you were able to get interviews and at least get that practice in - I'm sure it will help hugely for the next year to know what you're dealing with since they sound a little unpredictable/stressful! A year to save up some more money and get more experience isn't a bad thing either I suppose!

Guys I'm going crazy. I was hoping so badly that I would get off work and there would be an email there, but no such luck :(. They probably don't send anything out later than 5:30, hey?

Here's to another day of torture! Haha.

GAH I know right! I've been obsessively checking my email all day, why you do this to us WCVM. Whyyyyy :bang:

Don't worry! They'll likely come out tomorrow but for sure by Friday. :)

Congrats!!

WCVM will look at your Master's grades. A few of my classmates completed MSc

I'm not really sure for UCVM, but I can tell you what Heather told us at the WCVM info session (although how they determine grades and GPA is different for both schools so not sure if it's relevant for both)

She told us that if your grades are not good enough to get you an interview, or if you are looking to boost your overall GPA to give you a better chance, that you are better off starting another undergrad degree than going for a masters. I think her reasoning for this was because of the sheer amount of variability between maters/graduate programs, and the amount of actual courses you have to take with them (again, variable and it can be less than normal, but I emphasize that I am NOT a masters student and therefore i'm definitely not an expert on the subject) for WCVM at least, they are solely looking at your grades for interviews, so while a masters program may give you great experience she said they often don't help change your GPA enough to make them a great option for people who aren't getting interviews. Once again, this is just what Heather told us, if any of you have differing opinions on the subject feel free to share.

As far as whether your masters would be counted as part of your two previous years I really don't know.

I'm considering applying to go back to the college in my home town and maybe starting a new degree or diploma in the fall if I don't get in. Not even so much for the grade booster (apptly my grades are good enough to get an interview, at least this year) but so that I could have something to be working towards, and so I could meet new people and get more involved in clubs and leadership activities at the school.

I'm probably going to volunteer at a few other clinics, I have a couple stables that have told me they'll take me on as a volunteer for the summer and I'll probably just work a lot too. Not the most appealing thought haha but the interviews are where I struggled so getting more experience really is my only option at this point.

I went back and did some undergrad courses... Some of which did not transfer to UofC, and some of which were older than ten years so UCVM didn't accept them.

Once I brought up my GPA I got interviewed at WCVM, and accepted, while UCVM wouldn't look at my application.

I would agree, if your grades were good enough to get you an interview this time, then you need to work on your interview skills for next time.

Maybe they are calling Alberta people today and the results will be tomorrow?

Not sure if any of you current WCVM students will remember this, but about what time of day did you guys get the email that the decision was up? I'm sure this varies every year, but I have to work late tomorrow so i'm really hoping that if it is up tomorrow its earlier so I don't have to be a miserable grumpkin all day at work if I land in the rejected pile :laugh:

I still have no idea whether or not I'm technically considered an Alberta applicant. On my application portal under province i'm listed as "education equity", nothing else, but my interview was held with the rest of the Alberta interviews. You know what, maybe i'm just in denial because I've gotten no call, but I don't even caaaaare :rofl:

Last year it was around 2pm but other years it has been in the morning haha so that is probably not much help!!

Maybe they are calling Alberta people today and the results will be tomorrow?

Not sure if any of you current WCVM students will remember this, but about what time of day did you guys get the email that the decision was up? I'm sure this varies every year, but I have to work late tomorrow so i'm really hoping that if it is up tomorrow its earlier so I don't have to be a miserable grumpkin all day at work if I land in the rejected pile :laugh:

I still have no idea whether or not I'm technically considered an Alberta applicant. On my application portal under province i'm listed as "education equity", nothing else, but my interview was held with the rest of the Alberta interviews. You know what, maybe i'm just in denial because I've gotten no call, but I don't even caaaaare :rofl:

I applied as an AB applicant, so I got a phone call... During the day, while I was at work, then a call back around 5:30pm.

The computer system wasn't updated until later than week, and I kept thinking that it was a dream and I would click on it and get a rejection letter!

My guess is you'll be treated differently as an applicant, but your classmates won't know, unless you tell them.

I know that UCVM wouldn't consider my Master's courses (5 total). The biggest problem is that you aren't likely going to be taking a full course load - maybe 2-3 classes in your first year unless you have a course based Masters. however I do believe it gave me the skills and confidence to perform well at the interview. I did a thesis based Masters through the University of Calgary studying primate behaviour (So it is somewhat related to Vet Med). I would say only pursue a Masters if you are interested in research and academia. It is very different from undergrad and requires different skills, mostly a lot of independent work. Even a year post-graduation I am still working on publications...so it is a very long-term commitment even after graduation. That brings me to my final point, a Master's or PhD should not be a something you do in the "mean time", it is something you need to commit to whole-heartedly. If you commit to Masters it does not look good to bail half-way through because something "better" came along. I didn't do it to bide my time to get into vet school, personally I think that would be the wrong approach - not saying anyone here would be in this boat but I made a commitment to my supervisor and myself to see it through. It was a great opportunity that was presented to me and I wouldn't change the time spent doing my Masters for anything else. :)

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for the times guys! I appreciate it :)

Yah the equity thing is pretty confusing, and there is very little info about it on the Web. I know you get considered in your province first and if your grades aren't good enough then you get considered as an equity, only thing is I don't know if that means that you're not counted as an applicant from your province at all afterwards or what.

Anyways, probably not worth worrying about at this point because hopefully the decision will be out tomorrow and I can just find out with everyone else

Btw I actually did have a dream earlier this week that I got an acceptance call, apparently my brain likes the idea of making me suffer haha.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for all the great advice everyone! Will definitely think about this in more depth after next year, just gotta focus on my final year of undergrad this upcoming Fall!

Still didn't get a call from UCVM, pretty sure if they started calling yesterday they would've gotten through the list by now, so it's either Waitlist as a best case scenario or Rejection!

Hopefully WCVM comes out soon so you folks can breathe a bit!!

@DPolaris yes still no call from UCVM. If they started calling yesterday then I am sure they went over whole list today :( Oh well, maybe next time..
When will they send out rejection? Does anyone know? Will they provide a feedback on what to improve for next time?

They'll let us know our scores and which areas we need to work on!

So does anyone know how exactly we're alerted of this? Do they send you an email, update your student center?

I know that UCVM wouldn't consider my Master's courses (5 total). The biggest problem is that you aren't likely going to be taking a full course load - maybe 2-3 classes in your first year unless you have a course based Masters. however I do believe it gave me the skills and confidence to perform well at the interview. I did a thesis based Masters through the University of Calgary studying primate behaviour (So it is somewhat related to Vet Med). I would say only pursue a Masters if you are interested in research and academia. It is very different from undergrad and requires different skills, mostly a lot of independent work. Even a year post-graduation I am still working on publications...so it is a very long-term commitment even after graduation. That brings me to my final point, a Master's or PhD should not be a something you do in the "mean time", it is something you need to commit to whole-heartedly. If you commit to Masters it does not look good to bail half-way through because something "better" came along. I didn't do it to bide my time to get into vet school, personally I think that would be the wrong approach - not saying anyone here would be in this boat but I made a commitment to my supervisor and myself to see it through. It was a great opportunity that was presented to me and I wouldn't change the time spent doing my Masters for anything else. :)

I agree!!

What it does for you is sets you up for research, and if you ever want to specialize, you will most likely be doing some research, so if that's a long term goal for you then it won't hurt. But yes, fully commit to it!

@DPolaris yes still no call from UCVM. If they started calling yesterday then I am sure they went over whole list today :( Oh well, maybe next time..
When will they send out rejection? Does anyone know? Will they provide a feedback on what to improve for next time?

I think if you want feedback, you have to ask for it.

When I applied to UCVM and interviewed, I got a rank for each category, and then could see where I placed in the bell curve.

When I applied to UCVM and interviewed, I got a rank for each category, and then could see where I placed in the bell curve.
Thank you :) Will this be emailed to me?

Oh even for UCVM you have to ask for it? Like just email them and ask?

Oh even for UCVM you have to ask for it? Like just email them and ask?

Ya, when I didn't get an interview, I wanted to know how to improve for the next year. That's when I went back to school to upgrade courses etc.