pinay58

2+ Year Member
Aug 6, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
is this dress appropriate for an interview? i would wear it with a black blazer.

Reactions: dzhao

cliquesh

10+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
My wife wore a similar all black dress for residency and fellowship interviews.

GBCrzzyy

The moon is just the back of the sun.
2+ Year Member
May 18, 2016
Status
Medical Student
i would say so but from what i've read here there is a difference between blazers and suit jackets in terms of how professional they are. you really should have a suit jacket since it's much more professional. Also, pair it with a kitten heel and wear tights. But you should definitely be able to make that dress work. I tried on a few dresses but ultimately I decided on skirt suit. purely a personal decision, the dresses were very cute!

GBCrzzyy

The moon is just the back of the sun.
2+ Year Member
May 18, 2016
Status
Medical Student
I can tell it's a different material than a real suit jacket but I think you can get away with it. Make sure the jacket falls to about hip length (shorter is less professional) and make sure it's not tight fitting, buttoned or unbuttoned. The jacket should be nice and lose and have plenty of room when buttoned, you don't want it fit snug around your waist. Most blazers have softer and thinner fabric (as opposed to the stiffer and thicker fabric of a suit jacket) and usually have solid buttons that can be gold or silver so it's good yours doesn't have that.

OP
pinay58

pinay58

2+ Year Member
Aug 6, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I can tell it's a different material than a real suit jacket but I think you can get away with it. Make sure the jacket falls to about hip length (shorter is less professional) and make sure it's not tight fitting, buttoned or unbuttoned. The jacket should be nice and lose and have plenty of room when buttoned, you don't want it fit snug around your waist. Most blazers have softer and thinner fabric (as opposed to the stiffer and thicker fabric of a suit jacket) and usually have solid buttons that can be gold or silver so it's good yours doesn't have that.
Thanks for the advice!

Apr 25, 2014
Florida
Status
Medical Student
Looks good to me, as long as when you sit it isn't the type of material that will ride up and stay there when you stand.

At some schools they will do tours and there will be a ton of walking so be ready for that if you wear heels.

DrZeke

yzarc gniog ylwolS
10+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
is this dress appropriate for an interview? i would wear it with a black blazer.
If you want to be remembered as different because of what you wore then "sure".

Otherwise, trust me, the answer is no. I don't care whose wife wore what, maybe she got lucky.

Solid color pants suits or skirt suits or dress suits are the way to go. Striped dresses or mismatched combos are too business casual and stand out.

Stand out because of your application, not your dress. My attitude in general is that if I were wait listed or rejected I wouldn't want to be scratching my head asking myself if it was because I decided to get exciting with my outfit.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

DrZeke

yzarc gniog ylwolS
10+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
My wife wore a similar all black dress for residency and fellowship interviews.
Maybe it worked out for her but it certainly stands out. In general standing out because of what you wore is always risky.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

DaSlimShady

5+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2013
Status
Medical Student
I have to agree with some of the others, and say that it's best to stick to a black/dark blue/gray pant or skirt suit. Can never go wrong with that. It's what my undergraduate pre-med advisor insisted on as well. Cute dress though! :)

As for shoes, I highly recommend going with flats, unless you're extremely comfortable with walking a good distance in heels.

DO2015CA

5+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2014
Status
Resident [Any Field]
There was an interviewee this year that wore a red cocktail dress. Dunno the outcome but I don't think you'll be a sore thumb in that dress.

DokterMom

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2013
Status
Non-Student
Reactions: Atom612 and Goro

leturbinator

Good luck everyone applying this year!
2+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2015
Status
Medical Student
For professional attire, if you're going to wear a dress, make sure that its conservative- you don't want to sit down and have it ride up your legs. It should be below the knee, stockings should be worn underneath, and it should be flattering but not too revealing. Avoid wearing patterns, try t get a solid color in either gray, blue or black. Avoid shapely silhouettes and keep it simple.

shaha14310

2+ Year Member
Apr 26, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
I forgot my dress shoes to one of my interviews and had to wear my bright neon colored Nikes. Result=Accepted

Reactions: Goro
G

grapefruit17

I thought the dress in the original post was cute.

Apparently, i know nothing of female fashion, lol

myinitialsR_DR

2+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2016
Status
Medical Student
I wore a dress similar to this to my interview and was ultimately accepted.

Difference -- said dress was a part of a SUIT with a matching jacket, solid gray. Admittedly, I am VERY conservative when it comes to interview attire. All the other women wore pants SUITS.

I say this dress with a blazer is business casual (but very cute!). Personally, I'd be more formal for a med school interview.

medstar11

5+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2014
Status
Medical Student
I wish I could see the original dress but it has been deleted. I do not think that a dress should be out of the question but I do think that it should be paired with a suit jacket instead of a blazer. Standing out it definitely a plus when it comes to the interview. To put it in perspective I was the only girl not wearing a black suit in 5 of my interviews. I was complimented by at least one interviewer at each interview and was ultimately accepted in all the schools. They do not care what you are wearing as long as you look professional. Standing out above the crowd is also not necessarily a bad thing because it helps these interviewers remember you.

DokterMom

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2013
Status
Non-Student
I thought the dress in the original post was cute.

Apparently, i know nothing of female fashion, lol
The dress in the original post was cute! But the thing to remember is that cute is NOT what you're going for. Neither is attractive, flattering, current, stylish, fashionable, distinctive, memorable, pretty and most emphatically, sexy. What you're aiming for is professional and appropriate.

I wore a dress similar to this to my interview and was ultimately accepted.

Difference -- said dress was a part of a SUIT with a matching jacket, solid gray. Admittedly, I am VERY conservative when it comes to interview attire. All the other women wore pants SUITS.
And this is the important part: "dress was a part of a SUIT with a matching jacket," A dress suit can be, in my personal opinion, the very best option of all. A dress suit is very kind to figures that are less than perfect, and can also 'tone down' a figure that's a little too perfect to otherwise escape notice. The dress part is easily fitted to almost any figure. It also avoids the risk of the 'uptight librarian' look --

Ladies - If you can find a nice dress suit, at least try it on. You might be surprised...

Reactions: myinitialsR_DR

icareforyou

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
May 12, 2017
Status
Non-Student
I would not wear a blazer with that dress for an interview. I do not think it is appropriate.