Weight-bearing versus non-weight-bearing cast

Started by LadyInRed
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

LadyInRed

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was wondering if anyone could explain the difference between a weight-bearing and non-weight bearing cast. I wasn't able to find a description of the difference from some journal articles I was reading so maybe this is something simple that I'm missing. Namely, is the Aircast XP (Extra Pneumatic) Walker considered weight-bearing or non-weight-bearing?
 
I was wondering if anyone could explain the difference between a weight-bearing and non-weight bearing cast. I wasn't able to find a description of the difference from some journal articles I was reading so maybe this is something simple that I'm missing. Namely, is the Aircast XP (Extra Pneumatic) Walker considered weight-bearing or non-weight-bearing?
A non-weightbearing (NWB) cast is what the patient has when you tell them, "Don't put any weight on it."

A weighbearing (WB) cast is one on which the patient may walk. An Aircast has a rocker bottom sole, so if you tell the patient, "You may put weight on it" then it is a WB cast. If you tell him or her to not step down, then it is NWB.

It is a designation more than a device.

Nat
 
A non-weightbearing (NWB) cast is what the patient has when you tell them, "Don't put any weight on it."

A weighbearing (WB) cast is one on which the patient may walk. An Aircast has a rocker bottom sole, so if you tell the patient, "You may put weight on it" then it is a WB cast. If you tell him or her to not step down, then it is NWB.

It is a designation more than a device.

Nat

:laugh: