Weight-bearing versus non-weight-bearing cast

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LadyInRed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could explain the difference between a weight-bearing and non-weight bearing cast. I wasn't able to find a description of the difference from some journal articles I was reading so maybe this is something simple that I'm missing. Namely, is the Aircast XP (Extra Pneumatic) Walker considered weight-bearing or non-weight-bearing?

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if anyone could explain the difference between a weight-bearing and non-weight bearing cast. I wasn't able to find a description of the difference from some journal articles I was reading so maybe this is something simple that I'm missing. Namely, is the Aircast XP (Extra Pneumatic) Walker considered weight-bearing or non-weight-bearing?
A non-weightbearing (NWB) cast is what the patient has when you tell them, "Don't put any weight on it."

A weighbearing (WB) cast is one on which the patient may walk. An Aircast has a rocker bottom sole, so if you tell the patient, "You may put weight on it" then it is a WB cast. If you tell him or her to not step down, then it is NWB.

It is a designation more than a device.

Nat

A non-weightbearing (NWB) cast is what the patient has when you tell them, "Don't put any weight on it."

A weighbearing (WB) cast is one on which the patient may walk. An Aircast has a rocker bottom sole, so if you tell the patient, "You may put weight on it" then it is a WB cast. If you tell him or her to not step down, then it is NWB.

It is a designation more than a device.

Nat

:laugh: