Which non-required courses would have helped you prepare for pod school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Aeki

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone!

I am starting at Midwestern in 2016 and I'm in a nice situation: I can take basically any classes I want in the last semester of my undergrad. I've taken all the basic required courses + biochemistry. Is there any other classes you found helped you with the curriculum in the basic science years (or wish you had taken)? I'm thinking of things like anatomy + physiology (not really available for me at my school but I plan on doing a free online course before I matriculate), genetics, upper level chemistry, etc......any thoughts?
 
Just underload and enjoy your last semester of college, because anything you take now will be overkill and you'll probably forget it by the time it's useful in school. During my last semester of college I had less than 8 credit hours, with one research class. I had so much free time it was amazing compared to my schedule now. I don't think any of the classes in pod school are hard (just very time consuming) so prior knowledge isn't really necessary. But if you can't underload (or don't want to take a random fun class) I would go for micro/immuno, neuroscience, or upper level physiology.
 
Hi everyone!

I am starting at Midwestern in 2016 and I'm in a nice situation: I can take basically any classes I want in the last semester of my undergrad. I've taken all the basic required courses + biochemistry. Is there any other classes you found helped you with the curriculum in the basic science years (or wish you had taken)? I'm thinking of things like anatomy + physiology (not really available for me at my school but I plan on doing a free online course before I matriculate), genetics, upper level chemistry, etc......any thoughts?
Take an anatomy class.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For Midwestern, I was very happy to have taken histology beforehand. Many people had also taken anatomy, as you mentioned, which seemed like it benefited them (most had lab-augmented courses). Another good choice would be neuroscience.