Weight of an upward grade trend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RyanLam

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
As a URM a 3.6 with a solid MCAT score can make you very competitive at many medical schools, including higher ranked ones. Just focus on doing well this year and on the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
You're golden. Keep up the good work!

Hi,

I am at NYU and I was wondering what was the weight of an upward trend in an application to Med Schools. I got a 2.8 GPA my freshman year (2.86 then 2.75), but then got 3.92 and 4.0 my sophomore year (while taking Orgo and Physics at the same time). My total GPA right now is around 3.4 as I am beginning my 3rd year. I am confident in getting grades as good as during my sophomore year, but even with a 4.0 the whole year, I will get a 3.6 total GPA, which is under the mean GPA for successful applicants to top schools like NYU School of Medicine (Dream school) or Columbia P&S. Do you think my first year totally killed my chances for those schools or would my upward grade trend excuse my "accident" during freshman year. My reasoning is that GPA serves to give an indication of whether a student can handle hard work or not, and thus if my sophomore and junior year grades are good then, I technically can... I hope the GPA is not all about the medical school statistics.

NB: I am African American, if that helps..

Thank you in advance for your answers,

Reactions: 1 user