Weird answer for a recommendation letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dganaden

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently asked a DO that I work with to write me a recommendation letter and he said sure. The weird part is that he asked me if I would be willing to write it and have him just sign it. Has that ever happened to anyone?? I dont even know where to begin to write one. Anyone have any input on this. I have 2 other DOs that have written me letters, but I cant see them.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

dganaden said:
I recently asked a DO that I work with to write me a recommendation letter and he said sure. The weird part is that he asked me if I would be willing to write it and have him just sign it. Has that ever happened to anyone?? I dont even know where to begin to write one. Anyone have any input on this. I have 2 other DOs that have written me letters, but I cant see them.

Thanks.
Yeah I had two people say that to me. One of them was even a dean at a medical school..

I have seen some of my letters of recomendation so I worked from there.

dganaden said:

Thanks.

There's your chance to shine. This happened to me to. I was extremely uncomfortable about it, but then the writter said he will write his own letter, but tailor it to what I would want to emphasize.

Members don't see this ad :)
I always wished this would happen but as of yet it has not. :(

It's not so uncommon. It saves them time, and if they don't know you all that well it saves them the effort of trying to come up with stuff to say about you. It's no big deal. Most people will modify your draft (ie they don't just sign whatever letter you've written), and I would like to think that would be the case with you too. They should have at least a couple sentences they feel comfortable stating about you. But it's hard to say. Once you hand them the letter, it's out of your hands, so make sure you write something good about yourself! :)

I was able to proof one of my letters (from MD...who had dictated it to someone else), and it was a good thing b/c the dictator actually spelled my name wrong :(. At lease you can be sure there won't be any major goof-ups.

Just write in the letter what you hope the doc saw in you....and what you thought you displayed during your time with him.

For example, if you did some reading about some stuff related to his practice or specialty..."Jo-Schmo Student displayed a genuine interest in my practice and remained inquisitive throughout. He/She illustrated a natural ability to seek answers to the questions that arose as he witnessed clinical medicine."

If you worked your ass off..."(name) proved to be an extremely motivated observer and participant in my clinic. He/She often saw opportunities to help the staff, as well as myself, with both clinical and clerical duties - which was very much appreciated during busy times. In addition, (name) took advantage of educational opportunities in the office by spending a vast amount of time talking with patients, observing nursing duties (injections, plebotomy, etc). "

If you've volunteered and stuff....(NAME) and I discussed at length his/her experiences with the HIV clinic and his travels to South America during volunteer medical mission trips. I was quite impressed by his/her genuine desire to make medicine available to all parts of the world"....

whatever....

Just think about what you tried to portray during your time with the doc and write it down. Us the thesaurus for descriptive words...

My boss asked me to do that for my annual review. Not write my review but write as if I were reviewing myself.

dganaden said:

Thanks.

http://bokcenter.fas.harvard.edu/docs/Verba-recs.html

http://www.mcat-secrets.com/medschool/letter_of_recommendation.htm

http://resume.monster.com/articles/recommendation/

http://www.eastchance.com/howto/rec_let.asp