This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ArtMajor

5+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
so I have a letter packet (containing 4 letters) which I am sending to all of the 20 schools that I am applying to. However I just received an additional letter I was not initially expecting. It's from a clinical work supervisor and I think it will be really strong.

I'm thinking of sending this letter to all of the 20 schools as well, however, it will not part of the packet.

2 questions:
1) will any schools care if there is an individual letter and a packet, or will they read them all regardless
2) should I be more specific to who I send this additional letter so, or since I think it's strong send it to all.

Thanks for the help

Members don't see this ad.

I'd contact each school admissions office and ask what they recommend for additional letters. Some might say not accepted, others will say email to the main admissions email, and others might give you a specific email to send it to.

I'd contact each school admissions office and ask what they recommend for additional letters. Some might say not accepted, others will say email to the main admissions email, and others might give you a specific email to send it to.
Sorry should have mentioned. I haven't submitted any secondaries yet, so I'll be able to have it sent to them through AMCAS before I submit

Members don't see this ad :)
so to clarify:

This packet and individual letter will arrive at all schools BEFORE secondary is submitted

I'd actually still contact the schools here. I could see some saying just send both the packet and the individual through AMCAS, but some places might want the individual letter sent separately to them so they can manually attach it to your file, if their default process is to use only the packet when a packet + extras is present.

I know that I don't want an additional letter. I don't know any of my colleagues that want them either.
If instructions indicate that we don't want more letters, it will hurt you. The belief that rules don't apply to you has become something that we screen for in the evaluation of applicants.

Reactions: 1 user
I know that I don't want an additional letter. I don't know any of my colleagues that want them either.
I thought LoRs were one of the most valuable parts of the app! Is 5 just excessive?

If instructions indicate that we don't want more letters, it will hurt you. The belief that rules don't apply to you has become something that we screen for in the evaluation of applicants.
How is this valid with the many different letter requirements between schools? Or are you referring to applicants including letters in addition to packets specifically?

For example: One of my state schools requires 3 letters from science professors and one requires only 1 letter. Will the latter look down on an application that's including letters to meet other school requirements?

How is this valid with the many different letter requirements between schools? Or are you referring to applicants including letters in addition to packets specifically?

For example: One of my state schools requires 3 letters from science professors and one requires only 1 letter. Will the latter look down on an application that's including letters to meet other school requirements?
A school's committee letter is always sufficient and never excessive.
Sending letters in addition to your school's committee letter is excessive.

Sending an excess of individual letters will hurt.
The exception is that DO school's prefer a DO letter even if it is in addition to your school's committee letter (so I'm told).

Last edited by a moderator:
It is if the limit is 4.
But would it still be excessive if one is a packet (containing 4) and then an individual letter. Wouldn't this just count as 2?

The exception is that DO school's prefer a DO letter even if it is in addition to your school's committee letter (so I'm told).
I'm in the same boat as OP. I'm applying to a school which requires four letters and does not accept interfolio (or any other service). Will it hurt me when applying to schools that only require a single letter since I'll be stuck sending out four with every primary app?

Members don't see this ad :)
But would it still be excessive if one is a packet (containing 4) and then an individual letter. Wouldn't this just count as 2?
There are two choices, a packet (or committee letter) or individual letters.
When sending individual letters, there are often limits as well as requirements (or recommendations) for the types of letter to be sent.
If there were a limit of four letters, it would be excessive to send a packet and 3 letters.
In fact, additional letters are neither necessary nor advisable except perhaps for a DO letter to DO schools.
If you have any question regarding letters you are free to query the schools individually. Applicants who want to exceed (or modify) recommendations are already ringing the phones off the hook all day long...

There are two choices, a packet (or committee letter) or individual letters.
When sending individual letters, there are often limits as well as requirements (or recommendations) for the types of letter to be sent.
Wel my whole question was if i can do a packet as well as an additional individual

I'm in the same boat as OP. I'm applying to a school which requires four letters and does not accept interfolio (or any other service). Will it hurt me when applying to schools that only require a single letter since I'll be stuck sending out four with every primary app?
You may tailor the specific letters to meet the requirements of each school.

Wel my whole question was if i can do a packet as well as an additional individual
I do not recommend exceeding the number recommended at any school.
Letters sent in addition to a committee letter exceed recommendations unless explicitly allowed by an individual school.

You may tailor the specific letters to meet the requirements of each school.
Unfortunatly I just checked AACOMAS and the FAQ section says:

Q: Can I have different evaluations sent to individual programs?
A: NO. Each evaluation is sent to all programs that you applied to.

I planned on just using Interfolio to cherry pick the letters I need for each school but Nova is throwing a wrench in things by requiring 4 letters only through AACOMAS.

Unfortunatly I just checked AACOMAS and the FAQ section says:

Q: Can I have different evaluations sent to individual programs?
A: NO. Each evaluation is sent to all programs that you applied to.

I planned on just using Interfolio to cherry pick the letters I need for each school but Nova is throwing a wrench in things by requiring 4 letters only through AACOMAS.
I am not familiar with the AACOMAS application system, sorry...
You can tailor letters through AMCAS.

I am not familiar with the AACOMAS application system, sorry...
You can tailor letters through AMCAS.
I think what he's saying is that his 4 letters are part of a packet. And even on amcas, once a letter is in a packet you can't split it up

I think what he's saying is that his 4 letters are part of a packet. And even on amcas, once a letter is in a packet you can't split it up
That is correct. You don't need to unbundle them because an undergraduate school's packet requirements are always acceptable and never excessive.
It is only when submitting individual letters that guidelines must be followed.
A committee letter is always preferable (except at Utah). Additional letters are not generally welcome when a committee letter is available. You may choose one or the other, not both.

That is correct. You don't need to unbundle them because an undergraduate school's packet requirements are always acceptable and never excessive.
Ok, so given that. If the requirement is say 3. And I've got a packet (containing 4) + 1 additions. This should still meet requirement correct?

Ok, so given that. If the requirement is say 3. And I've got a packet (containing 4) + 1 additions. This should still meet requirement correct?
No. You may choose either method, committee letter or individual letters, not both.
If there is a school out there that explicitly allows this, go right ahead. I can't come up with one.

That is correct. You don't need to unbundle them because an undergraduate school's packet requirements are always acceptable.
I'm a nontrad so no packet unfortunately. Strength of letters from super to generic:
employer letter
research advisor
engineering professor
DO letter
orgo professor
psych professor

Unfortunately since Nova wants an AACOMAS non-science letter, I'm stuck sending that bland psych professor letter to every school. Professor even told me it would be generic but I had no choice since it was the only non science class I'd had in 5 years.

I'm a nontrad so no packet unfortunately. Strength of letters from super to generic:
employer letter
research advisor
engineering professor
DO letter
orgo professor
psych professor

Unfortunately since Nova wants an AACOMAS non-science letter, I'm stuck sending that bland psych professor letter to every school. Professor even told me it would be generic but I had no choice since it was the only non science class I'd had in 5 years.
That's too bad. I'm unfamiliar with the AACOMAS application system.
You may choose your letters for each school in AMCAS.

So to clarify: The committee letter (which consists of however many letters) is accepted and welcomed everywhere (except Utah). And letter guidelines and requirements only need to be followed when an applicant decides to submit individual letters and not the committee letter. In addition, sending both a committee letter and individual letters is excessive. However, if a school requires a maximum of four letters and the committee letter contains five, this is not excessive. Is this all correct?

Followup: What if a school requires or recommends a letter from an MD, but your undergrad committee packet did not require one. Is this a situation when you would have to call up the school to find out what you can do?

I'm confused. What is excessive is subjective. I am I'm applying to some schools that want a maximum of 2, and some Florida schools with 5. In the end, what is the issue with sending the maximum the school says is allowed?

AACOMAS can be a bit frustrating for me. If school A wants 5 letters through ACOMAS, and school B wants 3 through AACOMAS... it is impossible for me to satisfy both. I either send over the maximum to school B or I need make sure every program I am applying to has the same requirements. Otherwise, both schools are getting all 5. I feel like DO schools are aware of this though. (Or I hope)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
I'm confused. What is excessive is subjective. I am I'm applying to some schools that want a maximum of 2, and some Florida schools with 5. In the end, what is the issue with sending the maximum the school says is allowed?

From what I understand, if you sent a committee letter, then you can't send any other letters. However, if you chose to send only individual letters, then you can send as many letters as you want until you hit the maximum of each school.

From what I understand, if you sent a committee letter, then you can't send any other letters. However, if you chose to send only individual letters, then you can send as many letters as you want until you hit the maximum of each school.

I guess that is one benefit of not having a committee.

employer letter
research advisor
engineering professor
DO letter
orgo professor
psych professor

You can definitely break letters up on AACOMAS. It's actually easier than AMCAS. It's hard to explain but play around with the school submission stuff... you will see. A lot of the schools only want 2 (and no more) letters

So to clarify: The committee letter (which consists of however many letters) is accepted and welcomed everywhere (except Utah). And letter guidelines and requirements only need to be followed when an applicant decides to submit individual letters and not the committee letter. In addition, sending both a committee letter and individual letters is excessive. However, if a school requires a maximum of four letters and the committee letter contains five, this is not excessive. Is this all correct?

Followup: What if a school requires or recommends a letter from an MD, but your undergrad committee packet did not require one. Is this a situation when you would have to call up the school to find out what you can do?
The pack is fine... as gyngyn explain, a committee packet is ALWAYS viewed as sufficient, is preferred, and no other letters are necessary. It's a unbiased way to get a look at applicants vs individual letters. Individual letters are a drag.. you should be thankful your school had a committee and you didn't have to scrounge 7 up on interfolio so you could meet every schools nuanced requirements

The pack is fine... as gyngyn explain, a committee packet is ALWAYS viewed as sufficient, is preferred, and no other letters are necessary. It's a unbiased way to get a look at applicants vs individual letters. Individual letters are a drag.. you should be thankful your school had a committee and you didn't have to scrounge 7 up on interfolio so you could meet every schools nuanced requirements
yikes "an"... i promise i understand grammar..

You can definitely break letters up on AACOMAS. It's actually easier than AMCAS. It's hard to explain but play around with the school submission stuff... you will see. A lot of the schools only want 2 (and no more) letters
Would you able to give me a hint on this? I would really like to do this.

That's too bad. I'm unfamiliar with the AACOMAS application system.
You may choose your letters for each school in AMCAS.
I wasnt aware of this! I wish AACOMAS would follow suit.

I could see this maybe being possible if you apply to school in a stepwise fashion. Ex: Only adding 2 letters then submitting to schools that only require 2 followed by adding one more letter and submitting to schools that require 3, and so on. But I thought each letter could be seen once added to the application. I wouldn't do this if I was you. You don't want to take any chances.

Oh, fer crying out loud, yes, it's excessive.

Contrary to pre-med delusion, LORs are not magic devices land you a seat in med school. Like PS's, 90% of them are good, but forgettable. 5-9%% are great, and maybe 1% are lethally bad. Not as is they're poorly written, but that they say bad things about the applicant.

So let's reiterate:
  • More is not better.
  • Most of these are testimonials, not evaluations (we want the latter)
  • What impresses me and my colleagues is when the entire packet is glowing.

It's not subjective, it's variable. Sending the maximum for a particular school is fine.

Oh, fer crying out loud, yes, it's excessive.

Contrary to pre-med delusion, LORs are not magic devices land you a seat in med school. Like PS's, 90% of them are good, but forgettable. 5-9%% are great, and maybe 1% are lethally bad. Not as is they're poorly written, but that they say bad things about the applicant.

So let's reiterate:
  • More is not better.
  • Most of these are testimonials, not evaluations (we want the latter)
  • What impresses me and my colleagues is when the entire packet is glowing.
Thanks for chiming on on this thread Dr. Goro! I'm really curious about how having all AACOMAS evaluations go to each school is looked at with adcoms. Nova for instance wants 4 letters and they require them to be submitted through AACOMAS only. Wouldn't this mean that anyone who submits an app to Nova will be sending out a minimum of four letters to every DO school, even if a DO school only allows a maximum of two letters?

Thanks for chiming on on this thread Dr. Goro! I'm really curious about how having all AACOMAS evaluations go to each school is looked at with adcoms. Nova for instance wants 4 letters and they require them to be submitted through AACOMAS only. Wouldn't this mean that anyone who submits an app to Nova will be sending out a minimum of four letters to every DO school, even if a DO school only allows a maximum of two letters?
I don't know how to answer your question, because I only see the end result (the app with all the LORs. My school seems to have no limit on LORs.).

I really wish there was another way. I do not want to burden adcoms. But with programs with varying requirements, and strong preferences/requirements that letters are from AACOMAS... I can't find another way but to send all my letters to all osteopathic programs.

My apologies... I was incorrect. I thought for sure I had remembered doing this. I guess I will be using interfolio this as well. Seriously, sorry. I guess it's a lesson on the fallibility of memory

My apologies... I was incorrect. I thought for sure I had remembered doing this. I guess I will be using interfolio this as well. Seriously, sorry. I guess it's a lesson on the fallibility of memory

The problem arises when one of your schools does not accept letters directly from Interfolio (requires them to be sent to AACOMAS first), in which case every school you apply to gets that letter.

I really wish there was another way. I do not want to burden adcoms. But with programs with varying requirements, and strong preferences/requirements that letters are from AACOMAS... I can't find another way but to send all my letters to all osteopathic programs.

It will be fine. I don't think that ADCOMs will actually look down upon an application with more letters. However, an application with 3 strong letters vs an application with 3 strong letters and 2 mediocre letters would probably be in favor of the former. If you're not accepted to a school, it won't be because you simply had more letters than requested.