Weird LOR situation! Science or non-science?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lisztomania287

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
@gonnif - Wow, thank you for the extremely detailed answer. I greatly appreciate it.

You said that the letter from my PI wouldn't count if the school requires a "science professor" though it would count as "science faculty LOR." If my PI is a professor at the school, gives me units for the work in the lab, and grades me for my work in the lab, can I argue that I've taken his "class" and label it as a science professor letter of rec? Or would that be stretching too much?

Sorry if that's a stupid argument! I don't know how many schools will specifically ask for a science PROFESSOR letter, so I'm just trying to know my options to the full extent.

@gonnif - Wow, thank you for the extremely detailed answer. I greatly appreciate it.

You said that the letter from my PI wouldn't count if the school requires a "science professor" though it would count as "science faculty LOR." If my PI is a professor at the school, gives me units for the work in the lab, and grades me for my work in the lab, can I argue that I've taken his "class" and label it as a science professor letter of rec? Or would that be stretching too much?

Sorry if that's a stupid argument! I don't know how many schools will specifically ask for a science PROFESSOR letter, so I'm just trying to know my options to the full extent.
Most schools want the two science LOEs (and the one non-science LOE) to come from people who have taught you in a class. LOEs from science faculty who did not teach you -- e.g., a professor who was your research PI but didn't teach you -- would count as extra.

If I understand correctly, both professors A and B in your post essentially taught you in research-for-credit courses. These professors' letters would work at some schools since they technically were your professor and had an evaluative role. However, they may not work at all schools, and the only way you can know is to call each school individually and ask. Generally, science LOEs are supposed to come from people who can evaluate your academic performance. Both PIs can evaluate you as a research assistant but not as a student in traditional coursework. This will become evident in their letters.

As others have stated, every school has different requirements and levels of strictness for LOEs, unfortunately. The safest bet is to get letters that will work for all schools, meaning 2 letters from professors who have taught you in an academic science course and 1 from a professor who has taught you in an academic non-science course. Your research professors would likely work at many schools, but you may find yourself in a tough spot with a few.

Reactions: 1 user