Weird shadowing thing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted812153

I asked a DO to shadow (never met the guy; only have this connection through nepotism). He invited me to come to his school (he runs OMT), sit in on a class, and meet the President of the school.

I'm just baffled. What is this? Is this shadowing hours? Is this a unique experience? Should I go? What the hell will I be expected to do?

Anybody ever done anything like this?

Members don't see this ad.

Enjoy it! If anything--if the experience is a positive one you can always include your unique exposure to OMT in your secondary.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It's a VERY special version of shadowing and one that would drive my own DO colleagues bat**** crazy to accept you on the spot. Go for this.

What will you do? Very simple: watch and learn.

You still need some regular shadowing hours...as you do need to know what a doctor's day is like.

I asked a DO to shadow (never met the guy; only have this connection through nepotism). He invited me to come to his school (he runs OMT), sit in on a class, and meet the President of the school.

I'm just baffled. What is this? Is this shadowing hours? Is this a unique experience? Should I go? What the hell will I be expected to do?

Reactions: 2 users
If you don't go to this you're crazy. Wear a nice shirt.

Reactions: 1 users
It's a VERY special version of shadowing and one that would drive my own DO colleagues bat**** crazy to accept you on the spot. Go for this.

What will you do? Very simple: watch and learn.

You still need some regular shadowing hours...as you do need to know what a doctor's day is like.

What? Why? He landed a shadow opportunity and your colleagues would accept him just because of that?

Dude thats awesome! I wonder if I can do this too if I email an OMT professor

Shadowing is basically following doctor like a shadow huh? Sounds good!

I had a physician offer to do OMT on me to see what it was like and all about. Never followed through because of scheduling because I was in a different state.
It helps on interviews to talk about an experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Is this experience really that big a deal? I know UCF just had a tour of osteopathic medical schools and they did the same exact thing. A small group of students (30 students) toured NSU, GA-PCOM, and CUSOM. In our school, they did the same exact thing. They sat in our class (OMM) and met the president of our school for lunch. Of course I think it's a great opportunity, but is it special enough for your admissions to go "bat**** crazy?" It doesn't seem THAT unique.

The impression I got was that it was going to be just me doing this. That'd be highly bizarre, so I decided to ask for advice.

Also, I personally thought Goro was kidding because I still can't believe there's any chance I can actually get into med school lol

Last edited by a moderator:
The impression I got was that it was going to be just me doing this. That'd be highly bizarre, so I decided to ask for advice.

Also, I personally thought Goro was kidding because I still can't believe there's any chance I can actually get into med school lol

What you are going through is very different than the norm in that it's highly personal versus a group tour. You seem to have shown them great enthusiasm towards osteopathic principles and becoming a DO. You will be rewarded for this when you apply. It is a not a guarantee of acceptance by any means but you will have a tremendous advantage. This is all assuming you have or will have a good gpa (~3.4+) and good MCAT (~505) so keep up the hard work on the academic side.

What year are you?

What you are going through is very different than the norm in that it's highly personal versus a group tour. You seem to have shown them great enthusiasm towards osteopathic principles and becoming a DO. You will be rewarded for this when you apply. It is a not a guarantee of acceptance by any means but you will have a tremendous advantage. This is all assuming you have or will have a good gpa (~3.4+) and good MCAT (~505) so keep up the hard work on the academic side.
I get that, but it sounds to me like the "group tour" had a very similar, if not the exact same experience. They sat in the entire class, got to talk to the school president personally, and interacted with students. I would understand if this experience would help him get into that SPECIFIC school, but I don't see how it'd help get into other osteopathic schools as mentioned above. I guess I don't see why other schools besides the one he's touring would go "bat**** crazy" since the group tour did the exact same thing.