Weird/unique residency programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fw5tape6kq

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone aware of particularly unique residency programs at various teaching hospitals? I came across a good example of one yesterday when I found out about Penn's "Cutaneous Oncology" program. At any other institution, this is usually a post-derm fellowship, but at Penn, it appears to be a singular residency program in its own right:
http://www.med.upenn.edu/dermres/oncology.html

This got me curious if anyone else was aware of any similar residencies - e.g., either one's that combine two specialties or appear to be residency programs that are otherwise usually fellowships.

I thought it might be useful to make a compendium of these "one-offs" for reference to anyone who wasn't aware of them. Being interested in Oncology myself, I would love to seek out any residency program that had an Oncology bent to it without being simply Internal Medicine.

Members don't see this ad.

Looks like a combined derm residency + cutaneous oncology fellowship? Looks kind of similar to the DIRECT pathway (combined diagnostic radiology + interventional radiology track that's been phased out).

Looks like a combined derm residency + cutaneous oncology fellowship? Looks kind of similar to the DIRECT pathway (combined diagnostic radiology + interventional radiology track that's been phased out).
Is interventional radiology its own program now? I wasn't aware of that.

But yes, on second glance, looks like you're right on the money. This is just a Derm residency that feeds into a Cutaneous Onc fellowship with a year cut out of it. But that still begs the question: do any wholly unique residencies actually exist... ones that aren't simply an accelerated track or combo program?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is interventional radiology its own program now? I wasn't aware of that.

But yes, on second glance, looks like you're right on the money. This is just a Derm residency that feeds into a Cutaneous Onc fellowship with a year cut out of it. But that still begs the question: do any wholly unique residencies actually exist... ones that aren't simply an accelerated track or combo program?

IR finally became its own residency starting this year. IR fellowships, DIRECT programs, etc. will continue to be converted to IR residencies for the next several years.

Now whether wholly unique residencies (I guess meaning those no one else hears/talks about), I looked at the ERAS site and I stumbled upon Neurodevelopment Disabilities residency. It looks like a combination of neuro and peds with some medical genetics and PM&R thrown in. Never heard of it until now.

ERAS: https://services.aamc.org/eras/erasstats/par/index.cfm
Hopkins program: http://www.kennedykrieger.org/profe...g-disciplines/neurodevelopmental-disabilities

IR finally became its own residency starting this year. IR fellowships, DIRECT programs, etc. will continue to be converted to IR residencies for the next several years.

Now whether wholly unique residencies (I guess meaning those no one else hears/talks about), I looked at the ERAS site and I stumbled upon Neurodevelopment Disabilities residency. It looks like a combination of neuro and peds with some medical genetics and PM&R thrown in. Never heard of it until now.

ERAS: https://services.aamc.org/eras/erasstats/par/index.cfm
Hopkins program: http://www.kennedykrieger.org/profe...g-disciplines/neurodevelopmental-disabilities

I was looking into the neurodevelopment disabilities residency more recently. There are not too many of them though. It is around 6 years (ex. peds and neuro stuff). However, it can be a fellowship for those that have done a peds residency. I think matching is done outside of the ERAS for most of these programs. Looked interesting though.

Is anyone aware of particularly unique residency programs at various teaching hospitals? I came across a good example of one yesterday when I found out about Penn's "Cutaneous Oncology" program. At any other institution, this is usually a post-derm fellowship, but at Penn, it appears to be a singular residency program in its own right:
http://www.med.upenn.edu/dermres/oncology.html

This got me curious if anyone else was aware of any similar residencies - e.g., either one's that combine two specialties or appear to be residency programs that are otherwise usually fellowships.

I thought it might be useful to make a compendium of these "one-offs" for reference to anyone who wasn't aware of them. Being interested in Oncology myself, I would love to seek out any residency program that had an Oncology bent to it without being simply Internal Medicine.

I think you don't understand the purpose of this residency (it is not your fault though; this isn't intuitive).

If someone applies to dermatology and they don't match, often times they will do their intern year (usually in IM), and then they will apply for research fellowships. These post-intern year fellowships can last 1-2 years, and the hope is that the connections, LORs, and publications they earn will help them land a derm residency spot. Some of these fellowship spots will guarantee a derm spot at that institution in one or two years, while others do not. The cutaneous oncology program is meant for people who did not match. What happens is that you are their research slave for a year, and after you put your time in, you'll start your derm residency the next year. While this spot would be interesting (especially having the opportunity to work with a big name like Rook for a year), I am sure individuals would have preferred to have matched into derm in the first place.

I think you don't understand the purpose of this residency (it is not your fault though; this isn't intuitive).

If someone applies to dermatology and they don't match, often times they will do their intern year (usually in IM), and then they will apply for research fellowships. These post-intern year fellowships can last 1-2 years, and the hope is that the connections, LORs, and publications they earn will help them land a derm residency spot. Some of these fellowship spots will guarantee a derm spot at that institution in one or two years, while others do not. The cutaneous oncology program is meant for people who did not match. What happens is that you are their research slave for a year, and after you put your time in, you'll start your derm residency the next year. While this spot would be interesting (especially having the opportunity to work with a big name like Rook for a year), I am sure individuals would have preferred to have matched into derm in the first place.

This is totally incorrect. This is a matched combined residency-fellowship, meaning that you match into the fellowship and into the derm residency at the same time. It's not for people who don't match into derm, because, by definition, if you are in this fellowship then you matched into it and the 3 years. It's mainly a combined program, just like med-derm programs, for future academicians who want to specialize in CTCL.

So it's basically an integrated residency + derm fellowship program.