Weird

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

worriedpremed21

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Unless, at any time, for the rest of his career, he tells someone he didn't disclose an IA on his medical school applications.

And then either gets his acceptance revoked, gets kicked out of medical school, or gets his degree and license revoked. I mean, heck, you know about it. You could report it to his medical school.

Can you lie? Yes.

You may not get caught during the application process, but at any time for the rest of your life you're found to have lied on your application? Then you could lose everything.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure if it is just me but does anyone think that the AMCAS system is too easy to get around and makes it way too easy to cheat the system. It's so unfair towards everyone who does things honestly and has less success because they choose to be a good person and be honest while dishonest people slide right through. makes me so mad. After going though a cycle, I've seen so many of the people I know inflate their Ec's or just make stuff up and end up getting in.

Notably, I was asking this this kid from my undergrad for advice about how to explain an IA (mine was alcohol related incident) since I know he got in big trouble and cheated on an exam TWICE but goes to a t30 now and he told me not to list it even though it clearly asks. Somehow all the cheating records were in a separate disciplinary file and not on his transcript and we don't have a pre-health committee so he said he lied to AMCAS and then sent all his individual letters of rec to a friend with a hospital email to double check that here was no mention and also checked their "quality." He made some excuse about the bad grades during interviews and ended with multiple acceptances. The way he described it, since there was nothing in the letters or transcript and he didn't apply to the few schools that ask for confirmation, it seems there was almost now way he could be caught and of course he wasn't.

It's so hard staying honest and competing with these type of people who find ways around the system and have no qualms at all about lying. I think the system really needs to be changed in some way.
Why did you ask him for advice to begin with? You knew he cheated and etc..

Reactions: 1 user
Unless, at any time, for the rest of his career, he tells someone he didn't disclose an IA on his medical school applications.

And then either gets his acceptance revoked, gets kicked out of medical school, or gets his degree and license revoked. I mean, heck, you know about it. You could report it to his medical school.

Can you lie? Yes.

You may not get caught during the application process, but at any time for the rest of your life you're found to have lied on your application? Then you could lose everything.
I'm not one for cheating or dishonesty, but this claim is absurd. In what world, does not reporting an IA for your undergraduate studies affect licensure in your state? In what world would an M.D. lose their license because they didn't disclose they cheated on an orgo test 12 years ago? Do you know what some practicing doctors get away with? Do you know how much worse people can be? I'm all for academic honesty but this posturing on SDN when anyone so much as mentions an IA is ludicrous.

Please humor me. Please let me know of even the most absurd case you know of where a licensed medical professional has 'lost everything' because they weren't honest on their med school application?

Reactions: 3 users
When he/she runs to be the US President or is nominated to be a Supreme Court justice :)

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not one for cheating or dishonesty, but this claim is absurd. In what world, does not reporting an IA for your undergraduate studies affect licensure in your state? In what world would an M.D. lose their license because they didn't disclose they cheated on an orgo test 12 years ago? Do you know what some practicing doctors get away with? Do you know how much worse people can be? I'm all for academic honesty but this posturing on SDN when anyone so much as mentions an IA is ludicrous.

Please humor me. Please let me know of even the most absurd case you know of where a licensed medical professional has 'lost everything' because they weren't honest on their med school application?
I agree, if he makes it out of med school he’s probably fine. But if it surfaced at any time during school he’d get canned on the spot, and during the application process he was at real risk of getting found out and also being blackballed then.

To me and most, I wouldn’t play that game of chance because I think it’s at least 50/50 that it will come out in time for it to harm the applicant. A few will slip by, but that is not evidence that playing that game was wise.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
When he/she runs to be the US President or is nominated to be a Supreme Court justice :)
Joe Biden plagiarized Neil Kinnoch in the late 80s that detailed his run for president then. That said, the last years also showed how people can still get away with it.

Back to point, applicants consent to an applicant code of conduct, including an attestation that all they submitted is true to their knowledge. It is dubious how enforceable it is, but it is on one's conscience.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
Can't cheat on Step 1. By the end of year two my classmates who were known to have cheated or gotten their acceptance through dubious means have been forced to withdraw or take a LOA. I agree it's frustrating to think some people haven't had to put in the work, but in my experience it's caught up to most of them.

Reactions: 4 users
This 'friend' clearly has a personality flaw--he cheated to see his letters then lied on his application. This kind of behavior doesn't just correct itself without some kind of punishment that he clearly hasn't had to face that will in all likelihood manifest either in medical school or residency and the cost on him will be far greater than if he dealt with it earlier. Lying about clinical issues can get your fired and land you in court. There are of course some people who are blessed by the stars and get away with bad **** all the time without consequence but it isn't something you should strive for.

Also report him this to his medical school and watch his smug bull**** attitude disappear, it isn't like he didn't earn the karma.

Reactions: 2 users