Weirdest Anesthesia Job Ad. Ever

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Silent Cool

Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
http://www.gaswork.com/post/164850

"Stable group looking for two anesthesiologists who are boarded in Internal Medicine."

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
http://www.gaswork.com/post/164850

"Stable group looking for two anesthesiologists who are boarded in Internal Medicine."
Not weird at all. Perioperative surgical home. The future seems to have arrived.
The two candidates will be asked to split their time between: (a) the OR, administering general anesthesia; and (b) providing other perioperative services at the hospital.
I foresee some CCM guys doing the same thing in the future (we have more CCM- than IM-boarded anesthesiologists anyway).

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
That is pretty rare ... anesthesiologists who are also boarded in IM. I dont think dual IM/Anesthesiology programs graduated their first class yet, so anyone w/ both, did separate residencies..

They are usually IM grads without a fellowship, who switch over to anesthesia. There are more of them than you'd think. The program directors even reserve some out-of-match spots for them.

IM/Anesthesia is not that rare.

Nor is it necessary to run a preop clinic.
I guess they would be hired for preop optimization and post-op follow-up of sick patients, like some periop hospitalists. If true, that position definitely needs more IM knowledge than for the average anesthesiologist.

ASA said:
The Perioperative Surgical Home (PSH) Model of Care
The Problem:
Too often, perioperative care plans are variable and fragmented. The surgical-need decision often disconnects patients from their typical medical care. Surgical patients may experience lapses in care, duplication of tests and preventable harm. Costs rise, complications occur, physicians and other health care team members are frustrated, and the patient and family endure a lower-quality experience of care.

The Solution:

ASA recognizes that innovation must occur within the patient’s episode of surgical/procedural care, and a new model of perioperative care must be developed in our patient’s best interests. To address such issues, ASA has committed to the Perioperative Surgical Home (PSH) model of care – A patient-centered, physician-led system of coordinated care striving for better health, better health care and reduced costs of care.

These goals will be met through shared decision-making and seamless continuity of care for the surgical patient, from the decision for surgery through recovery, discharge and beyond. Each patient will receive the right care, at the right place and the right time.

The Role of the Anesthesiologist in the PSH:
Anesthesiologists will need to view becoming perioperative physicians as an expansion of the specialty as we learn to navigate and negotiate in the face of finite, if not decreasing fiscal resources. The PSH model will broaden the anesthesiologist’s scope of practice in order to promote standardization and improve clinical outcomes as we move toward more patient-centered continuity of care throughout the preoperative, intraoperative and postoperative periods
https://www.asahq.org/For-Members/Perioperative-Surgical-Home.aspx
http://www.asahq.org/psh

Nor is it necessary to run a preop clinic.
I agree. However, I feel that as a specialty we have been subjugated to IM's shenanigans.

I always wondered why the cardiologists write the guidelines for peri op work up.

I instinctively felt as a resident, before knowing of AHA/ACC guidelines, that it should be anesthesiologists writing the guidelines for cardiologists to follow.

We have all been to CCUs where cardiologists run vasoactive drips for days through peripheral IVs and check BP every hr with a cuff only. That would never fly in anesthesia. And these are the people writing our guidelines.

I also find it funny that the ACC/AHA are teaching resuscitation to anesthesiologists. This while anesthesiologist-intensivists are considered not competent enough to teach CCM to IM interns, residents and fellows.

At least the preop ACC/AHA guideline committee is chaired by an anesthesiologist (which is not obvious to the general public). ;)

By the way, do we have a FASA designation for our older and wiser ASA members, like all other professional organizations seem to have?

Lee Fleisher is the lead author on this years update, he's an anesthesiologist.

My program had 2 of them when I was in training, though I'm not sure one ever took his boards for IM.
My memory is foggy, but it was like they didn't match into rad onc, did their IM prelim year, were offered a categorical job, took it, hated IM, re-applied to anesthesia.
Something like that.
They're out there in the world.

They are usually IM grads without a fellowship, who switch over to anesthesia. There are more of them than you'd think. The program directors even reserve some out-of-match spots for them.

I see. I didn't realize that ppl do that that often. It seems kind of weird that someone with IM board, would spend another 4 years in anesthesiology, when they could be making 200k+ as a hospitalist.. but i guess they have their preferences

Life as a hospitalist can suck even more than life as an anesthesiologist. So a number of smart people, especially IMGs, who would have a hard time getting into cardiology or another truly interesting subspecialty, choose to do 3 years of anesthesia instead. They get a second specialty (where they can apply a lot of their IM knowledge), they can even get into a good fellowship of only one year, and they are highly sought after because they can function very well in both medical and surgical environments. In a clinical environment, that extra BCIM means more than a Ph.D.

I see. I didn't realize that ppl do that that often. It seems kind of weird that someone with IM board, would spend another 4 years in anesthesiology, when they could be making 200k+ as a hospitalist.. but i guess they have their preferences

Another 3 years.

I did IM then anesthesia after not matching cardiology. Took my friends 3 years of research to get a cardiology spot after IM residency. After doing IM, anesthesia residency was so chill (cooler attendings/residents, way better hours, and no bull**** paperwork). Was able to moonlight a lot in ICUs and ended up making about 3/4 of my IM attending income as an anesthesia resident. Being a hospitalist is a difficult job where you are under a lot of production pressure. No regrets switching. Not sure what revenue stream this job is going after---most hospitalists I know rely on a subsidy of almost 1/2 their income from the hospital.

Agree with the sentiment about anesthesiologists not needing IM docs/cardiologists to run periop clinic. Anesthesia residency affords a lot in terms of practical clinical knowledge of resuscitation/ICU care/perioperative medicine.