Weirdest attire choices observed during your interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Moto

RHA
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Interview season is here. Share your 'what not to wear' observations. I saw a girl wobble in 4 inch stilleto heels (why, oh why?)

Members don't see this ad.

I think you mean 'choices'...and 4in heels are stupid at any time.:D

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview season is here. Share your 'what not to wear' observations. I saw a girl wobble in 4 inch stilleto heels (why, oh why?)

Funny you should ask... I was at UTSW yesterday and wow were there some pre-meds who don't know how to dress professionally.

1) (I've seen this several places): The suit pants have exactly the same cut and tightness as her trendiest low-rise hip-hugger jeans. That's NOT how professional trousers are shaped!

2) A triangle of tummy-skin showing (when standing normally) between her suit jacket and pants.

3) The skirt was too tight, and slid down under a pooch of belly fat. The shirt was bright blue and clearly showed, stretched over that pooch of belly fat, between the skirt and the jacket.

4) Untucked bright pink button-down shirt (not the type that's tailored to be left untucked; the type with shirttails and everything!) with trendy-shaped black pants that dragged the floor under the heels, and no jacket at all. :confused:

is there a problem with wearing suit pants / blazer / button up shirt....but no tie?

I don't know if this is quite as obvious, but I saw a guy last year wear old beat up penny loafer style shoes, and red felt socks with a paisley pattern.

The skirt was too tight, and slid down under a pooch of belly fat. The shirt was bright blue and clearly showed, stretched over that pooch of belly fat, between the skirt and the jacket.

I think that is the old perceived vs. actual size that the girls often confuse when they select their clothes. Some of the pants that I saw girls wearing looked spray on.

The oddest guy choice that I saw was a cowboy hat. He took it off for the actual interview, but wore it during the tour. WTF?

There is always that one guy who is wearing trousers and a shirt+tie, but not a suit. Sticks out and must suck when they invite you to take you jackets off, but then tell you to be sure to put them back on for the interview.

I saw a girl wearing jeans, a tshirt, and a track jacket at one interview. That was probably the most sore thumb one so far.

i feel real bad for the dudes with suits and u can tell they tried hard to buy a jacket and pants that matched but they are off slightly in color :D

I saw a girl wearing jeans, a tshirt, and a track jacket at one interview. That was probably the most sore thumb one so far.

One of my friends didn't bring her interview suit as carry-on, but checked her suitcase in. It got lost, so she ended up wearing a velour pant suit to the interview.

So remember to bring your essentials as carry-on!

The skirt was too tight, and slid down under a pooch of belly fat. The shirt was bright blue and clearly showed, stretched over that pooch of belly fat, between the skirt and the jacket.
I think that is the old perceived vs. actual size that the girls often confuse when they select their clothes.

Or the girl who has gained a little weight since she bought her suit and lacks the time, money, and confidence that the weight will stick around long-term to buy a new one. People are only human; it happens.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I interviewed at Penn State, there was one really good looking girl that was wearing a very nice business-like suit. When she was sitting down, I noticed she a a pink thong on!

:scared:

So, I took a chance and introduced myself to her. Before our interviews, we had sex in the bathroom to ease the tension!
:eek:

When I interviewed at Penn State, there was one really good looking girl that was wearing a very nice business-like suit. When she was sitting down, I noticed she a a pink thong on!

So, I took a chance and introduced myself to her. Before our interviews, we had sex in the bathroom to ease the tension!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

One of my friends didn't bring her interview suit as carry-on, but checked her suitcase in. It got lost, so she ended up wearing a velour pant suit to the interview.

So remember to bring your essentials as carry-on!

...and also to bring a steamer, or make sure your accommodations has an iron....

Ive seen a couple brown/black belt with opposite color shoes. Not the biggest fauz pas, but I imagine it makes one look a little silly.

The oddest guy choice that I saw was a cowboy hat. He took it off for the actual interview, but wore it during the tour. WTF?

Why hate? He's just a good ol' boy, never meaning no harm.

is there a problem with wearing suit pants / blazer / button up shirt....but no tie?

I don't think there is a problem style-wise, but it makes your dress more casual. For an interview, I'd wear the tie.

Yes. I think blazers are a bad idea anyway. Pop for a suit.

What advantage do you believe this will confer?

i have no idea...but it seems like suits are just so formal. With that in mind, I'll probably be wearing a suit if I'm lucky enough to be invited for ani nterview

I saw a girl wearing a black sweater with no bra, black low rise pants which showed occasional glimpses of a tatooed side/stomach, and brown loafers..hmm. She was really nice though!

i have no idea...but it seems like suits are just so formal. With that in mind, I'll probably be wearing a suit if I'm lucky enough to be invited for ani nterview

Nah, now a tux would be formal. :)

But seriously, we're trying to get into a professional school (professional as in the profession of medicine), so look, you know, professional at your interview. :laugh: If a suit really is not your thing, just consider whether you'd feel more awkward in a suit, or more awkward being the only one *not* in a suit (and feeling like you dressed too casually).

And if it matters, so far all my male interviewers have been wearing suits themselves.

I saw a girl wearing a black sweater with no bra, black low rise pants which showed occasional glimpses of a tatooed side/stomach, and brown loafers..hmm. She was really nice though!

was she hot?

I saw a girl wearing a purple, almost knee-length dress with no hose and strappy heels. She also had on one of those short black sweaters. It was...interesting. I can't imagine how she felt walking in and seeing everyone else in suits! :eek:

she was pretty, but veerry skinny. in her words "i'm so skinny, all the prisoners i work with think I do crack!"

you're saying as if a girl being too skinny is a bad thing.

lol, when and if i get interviews, i'm bringing my digital camera along because...ain't nothing finer than a hot premed girl

Was at an interview at one of my state schools, and there was a guy in docksiders, dockers, and a button up. There was also a gal there in black pants and an argyle sweater, and another guy still with the tag on the sleeve of his suit-coat.

That said, I think this is a good time to point out that not everyone can afford a full suit. It's not a fashion show, but a med school interview. I can't help but think of Paul Farmer, possibly on of the greatest epidemiologist/anthropologist/Harved M.D.'s/humans out there, who is know to trounce around the world in his one mis-matched, rumpled, black suit. Clothes don't make the doctor. They can cover up some flaws maybe, but recall that there are folks out there with other things to worry about.

That said, I think this is a good time to point out that not everyone can afford a full suit. It's not a fashion show, but a med school interview... They can cover up some flaws maybe, but recall that there are folks out there with other things to worry about.

After the thousands of dollars spent on classes, application fees, books, airfare, hotels... all of a sudden they balk at laying out a little more for a suit? Affordability has nothing to do with ANYTHING we've done to get to this point. Which is sad, but not the point.

I think it more likely that this is part of the general moving-downmarket and dumbing-down of America. Most of these guys are just barely not-teenagers. They're about the yeargroup as the guy who asked the president the boxers/briefs question. They've spent their lives watching the Real World and Survivor and the Bachelor. If you've never been exposed to professionals, it's tough to emulate professionalism.

That said, I think this is a good time to point out that not everyone can afford a full suit. It's not a fashion show, but a med school interview.
Bull$hit. If you can afford to apply to medical school, you can afford a suit. You can pick up an off-the-rack for $300 that is plenty suitable for medical school. Cheaper even, someplaces.

I agree with it not being a fashion show, so I think it's silly when folks obsess about dropping $1K for a suit, but you gotta wear something. You don't go to a professional interview looking like a Century 21 real estate agent.

Was at an interview at one of my state schools, and there was a guy in docksiders, dockers, and a button up. There was also a gal there in black pants and an argyle sweater, and another guy still with the tag on the sleeve of his suit-coat.

That said, I think this is a good time to point out that not everyone can afford a full suit. It's not a fashion show, but a med school interview. I can't help but think of Paul Farmer, possibly on of the greatest epidemiologist/anthropologist/Harved M.D.'s/humans out there, who is know to trounce around the world in his one mis-matched, rumpled, black suit. Clothes don't make the doctor. They can cover up some flaws maybe, but recall that there are folks out there with other things to worry about.

hmm, it was all blue suits at my interview with the lone exception being a girl in black pants and a red blouse... kinda casual looking. nothing awful though.

I did feel like the only person there who wasnt carrying a leather "University of Michigan" portfolio folder to the interview though... I just brought the packet in the envelope. Though of course I dont go to UofM, so that might explain a bit.

I don't think it's wrong to wear something unconventional as long as you come off professional - medical schools are looking for unique people! Style choices are part of what makes you uniqe, and if it's pulled off appropriately I think it can be of advantage over someone who does he most cut and dry thing because it's safe and expected.

I haven't even applied to medicine, but for the interview at the professional school I'm in, I was the only guy in the room not wearing a suit. Just a dress shirt, formal khakis, and a professional leather jacket; no tie, no blazer. I wasn't even trying to be different - I just had never looked up what an interviewee was "supposed" to wear, and made my choice upon waking. I felt very comfortable in there and got several looks of "what are you doing? do you expect to get in looking like that?" I felt underdressed for a bit until I started talking to the people in the room and got into my interview and realized I was cut out for it. I guess my point is that, in my opinion, as long as your clothes aren't an outright turn-off, it's not a disadvantage (and can be an advantage) to look a bit different.

I guess my point is that, in my opinion, as long as your clothes aren't an outright turn-off, it's not a disadvantage (and can be an advantage) to look a bit different.
Very well stated. A bit of individuality isn't a bad thing. Wear the non-standard tie. Wear a conservative pinstripe. But anything other than a suit for a guy has the definite potential of being an outright turn-off.

and for some reason, she wanted it doggy style!
:D

I got a nordstrom outlet suit for 150... Black with very light pinstripes, I've received lots of complements. I suppose there is a defect somewhere but damned if I can see it.

The triangle girls that wear too tight of clothes, shorter shirts etc seem to be on the rise in general. I really don't know what to think about it. My SME (subject matter expert) from IBM is this smoking hot girl about 2 years older than me....she came to our meeting in what I term "Business Sexual" and she is a consultant for ibm.....The girls in my program giving their resumes to lockeed, NSA, KPMG and all of those places were dressed like that for whatever reason. I don't know if it is just a change in what is viewed as acceptable business outfits or what.....maybe they are fishing for a sexual harassment situation.

I have seen guys with horrible wrinkled suits (they weren't flying anywhere either....just too lazy), guido chest hair gold chain stuff where it is sporouting from the shirt, and to top it all of a guy with a mohawk facial tats and about 12 piercings in his face 2 of them gauged out to the point I could put my thumb through them. He is in one of my groups normally too...and it amazes me because he is probably one of the smartest kids in the class but the world of IT consulting and integration is very much image based.....and I don't think his image fits with any of the big ones.lol

my friend got you all beat: he got his suit for 2.75, I repeat TWO SEVENTY FIVE, at goodwill. He paid in quarters and it was a top brand. :laugh:

i saw this girl wearing this really ugly corduroy-type black jacket on top of a green blouse instead of a suit jacket. it wasn't even well-fitting! it was just a hood away from being a sweatshirt and looked really unprofessional

The triangle girls that wear too tight of clothes, shorter shirts etc seem to be on the rise in general. I really don't know what to think about it. My SME (subject matter expert) from IBM is this smoking hot girl about 2 years older than me....she came to our meeting in what I term "Business Sexual" and she is a consultant for ibm.....The girls in my program giving their resumes to lockeed, NSA, KPMG and all of those places were dressed like that for whatever reason. I don't know if it is just a change in what is viewed as acceptable business outfits or what.....maybe they are fishing for a sexual harassment situation.

I have seen guys with horrible wrinkled suits (they weren't flying anywhere either....just too lazy), guido chest hair gold chain stuff where it is sporouting from the shirt, and to top it all of a guy with a mohawk facial tats and about 12 piercings in his face 2 of them gauged out to the point I could put my thumb through them. He is in one of my groups normally too...and it amazes me because he is probably one of the smartest kids in the class but the world of IT consulting and integration is very much image based.....and I don't think his image fits with any of the big ones.lol

Easily my new favorite thread due only to the use of the term "Business Sexual"

Is it ok to wear pants of an off color? How about pinstripe pants with a black suit?

Also, I don't have one, but I've been thinking about sporting a seersucker for any long-shot interviews I get. How would that play?

Suits can be cheap and still pass muster. Go with a suit. You are interviewing for a profession and like it or not a suit is professional attire.

The oddest thing I saw on an interview was a dude with a dark purple suit and tie and black shirt. I'm pretty sure he already had an acceptance in hand though.

Suits can be cheap and still pass muster. Go with a suit. You are interviewing for a profession and like it or not a suit is professional attire.

The oddest thing I saw on an interview was a dude with a dark purple suit and tie and black shirt. I'm pretty sure he already had an acceptance in hand though.

ive seen a mild purple undershirt with a sliverish gleaming tie. besides that, everyone is pretty conservative.

After the thousands of dollars spent on classes, application fees, books, airfare, hotels... all of a sudden they balk at laying out a little more for a suit? Affordability has nothing to do with ANYTHING we've done to get to this point. Which is sad, but not the point.

I think it more likely that this is part of the general moving-downmarket and dumbing-down of America. Most of these guys are just barely not-teenagers. They're about the yeargroup as the guy who asked the president the boxers/briefs question. They've spent their lives watching the Real World and Survivor and the Bachelor. If you've never been exposed to professionals, it's tough to emulate professionalism.

It isn't just america where this is happening. People are just caring less and less. I went to an interview in Germany for an internship and they were wearing jeans and tshirts during my interview. I mean...I wore my suit. I have some pretty expensive tailored ones (only because I'm too tall for anything else) but it isn't just an american thing....just depends on the culture in general. I think part of the problem is that these people have never been around professionalism. The only reason I know of all of it is because my major has such a hardon for interviewing, job type stuff. I have meetings with visalign, IBM, and other groups on weekly basis, video-conference calls to netherlands and india, all sorts of crap. I don't think the average biology major even thinks of stuff like that. I know most of my science/engineering based professors are the complete oppossite of dressing to impress.lol Even the younger ones.

bah, i lost my jacket somewhere in chapel hill, and i've been going without ever since. i'm a girl, by the way. seems to be making no difference.

I went to an interview at university at buffalo and there was this one guy who was wearing a normal suit and white shirt. However, his tie was black and was filled with physics equations written in yellow. Seemed a bit wierd to me but maybe its not as wierd as i think.