Were you excited when you got your Bachelor's degree?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dental Mom

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Were you guys excited when you got your Bachelor's degree? :confused:

I'm graduating this Sunday and I'm not excited at all! I'm just half way! My mom is so excited she's coming from out of state for the ceremony. I'm only doing the walk so that my kids can see me and always have that memory. But honestly I feel like I only accomplished the first step to get me to my ultimate goal.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It's probably not very exciting for individuals that will be going to grad school right after, because they know they aren't finished and ready to enter the real world.
It's like high school, you get a little happy that you're done but then again you're not that excited because you got another 4 years of undergrad left.

It might also depend on your major.

It's just another day.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good point, "grad school" still ahead.....can you talk to my mom?

Yeah, the major...mine was very exciting to do. But I'm not going to work, and I still need to take more biology classes.

Last edited:
was there something about your undergrad that you didn't like? an evil professor? horrible parking in freezing weather? librarians in the library who will not shut up for a second so that you can study for a huge test you have to take the next day? :bang:

just think............. you NEVER have to deal with that specific stuff in your undergrad that you didn't liked EVERRRRRRRRR again!!! this is what makes me happy!!!! :banana::claps:

Weird! I thought I was the only one that felt like that. It really is just another day.

was there something about your undergrad that you didn't like? an evil professor? horrible parking in freezing weather? librarians in the library who will not shut up for a second so that you can study for a huge test you have to take the next day? :bang:

just think............. you NEVER have to deal with that specific stuff in your undergrad that you didn't liked EVERRRRRRRRR again!!! this is what makes me happy!!!! :banana::claps:

Last edited:
This is the most smilies I have ever seen in one thread.

Whenever I graduated a year ago, I remember feeling as if it was just another day. After a few days, I thought again about the accomplishment.

I think we all need to remember how fortunate we really are to be able to not only attend a four-year university, but have the intellectual fortitude and stamina to finish our degree. I know plenty of people who were given the chance to succeed, but never saw it through. I am reminded how lucky I was to experience this "just another day" often when I see those who were not given a chance.

I will step off of my high horse right now with a plea to those who will complain about graduation. Just remember how fortunate you really are.

Also, congrats and good luck to those who are graduating!

Hey, cheer up - you didn't work since 1998, which is good and you have a great supporting family and you know that. About BS or BA, think about that as a step, which you had to pass in order to go to the next level. IF you didn't get any degree, you chances of getting to d-school would be very very slim...and also you knew that you posted the higher goal so that's why you're half way thru... just continue on and be happy with being done with the first half of your way when some people just can't finish it.
And you hard work will pay off...it's just how long it takes to become a dentist, that's it and you can't change that ... only stop now OR continue on to your dream. Stopping is easy, continuing on is hard :) Good luck.

i had the most useless degree ever!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was. I am a lifelong Auburn fan and I'm now fortunate enough to call that school my alma mater. Its different after you've become an alum. I now feel 'invested' as well as a part of the university. I love Auburn and will always be a part of it and hopefully will give back in the future.

i wasn't excited at all, i was thinking of not even attending the graduation. and i was receiving two bachelors. i just went for my parents, they were too excited, but i felt that it wasn't that big of an accomplishment, but i'm glad i went, maybe someday it will hit and i will feel proud, but not now, my mind is jumbled right now.

I didn't even go to graduation. A Bachelor's was just another step in the staircase to success.

I didn't even go to graduation. A Bachelor's was just another step in the staircase to success.

thats sad. life is just going to pass you by dawg..

Thank you guys!

My mom arrived yesterday very excited! Like a 3 yr old with a new toy

......But today I woke up with my "positive" feet and I'm sure that if I write down EVERYTHING I've done and accomplished I'd cry!

When I think back, I have really accomplished a lot and I had lots of ups and downs. It's amazing to be this far and the fact that general chemistry 1 stoichiometry or physics 2 voltage/circuits are all behind me makes me VERY EXCITED! (those 2 topics had to be marinated in my head for weeks).

And yes, I'm very thankful to have the opportunity to go to school. Many women around the world will never be able to get 1/4 of my total education. And my children will for ever have the memory that not matter what, they can complete their education.

I defied the odds 100% THAT makes me extremely proud

I'll write more tomorrow....

P.S. I got the honors cord yesterday :cool:

Last edited:
i wasn't excited at all, i was thinking of not even attending the graduation. and i was receiving two bachelors. i just went for my parents, they were too excited, but i felt that it wasn't that big of an accomplishment, but i'm glad i went, maybe someday it will hit and i will feel proud, but not now, my mind is jumbled right now.

Good to hear that you went. Maybe the day that will hit you hard will be the white coat ceremony day!

Oh, and 2 bachelor's??? Wow! Be very proud!

Last edited:
Hey, cheer up - you didn't work since 1998, which is good and you have a great supporting family and you know that. About BS or BA, think about that as a step, which you had to pass in order to go to the next level. IF you didn't get any degree, you chances of getting to d-school would be very very slim...and also you knew that you posted the higher goal so that's why you're half way thru... just continue on and be happy with being done with the first half of your way when some people just can't finish it.
And you hard work will pay off...it's just how long it takes to become a dentist, that's it and you can't change that ... only stop now OR continue on to your dream. Stopping is easy, continuing on is hard :) Good luck.

:love: THANK YOU!

or physics 2 voltage/circuits are all behind me makes me VERY EXCITED! :D (those 2 topics had to be marinated in my head for weeks).
AMEN! I just finished physics 2 and I don't want to see another resistor, inductor or capacitor for the rest of my life.:laugh:

AMEN! I just finished physics 2 and I don't want to see another resistor, inductor or capacitor for the rest of my life.:laugh:

Oh dear, some of us are still in therapy. Like 5 mins after the final, I sold the book back and got $100--and went to eat at Cheesecake Factory--the avocado egg rolls never tasted so good! :laugh:

THANK YOU Tachyon! :thumbup:

I just got my second grad gift. An Edible fruit arrangement from one of my dearest friends. It's delicious!

This is starting to look like a wedding or something :D

Were you guys excited when you got your Bachelor's degree? :confused:

I'm graduating this Sunday and I'm not excited at all! I'm just half way! My mom is so excited she's coming from out of state for the ceremony. I'm only doing the walk so that my kids can see me and always have that memory. But honestly I feel like I only accomplished the first step to get me to my ultimate goal.

My mom says that I'm the first one to graduate of my siblings, my husband says that I did it with kids and all. My dad says out of the 4 kids I was the only one interested in studying this much.

If I hear another woman talking like this I'd go slap her! So I have come a long way, and like all of you had made a huge sacrifice to be the best student. I'm not seeing the sky pink, or hearing bells yet. One of my friends says that when I do the walk that it will all hit me....:banana: I'm not depressed :laugh: but I'm not jumping like I should be! :clap:

NOW, the day >I< get accepted to DS, I'm going to throw the biggest party ever.......

Depressed? NO!
PMS? Hummmmmm, NOPE!
Tired? YES!
Huge lack of sleep? :mad: YES!

I'm a 70% chemist, 50% nutritionist, and my bachelor is health :cool:

you know this post of yours brings back a lot of memories and it defines me almost exactly. like yourself, i was the only one in the family to go to college. a lot of my relatives would always urge me to not go to college because it would be a waste of my time. instead i could be working for them and learning how to be a good travel agent. college would be a complete waste of my time and i could be making money during those 4 years.

so, against all advise i stuck with my choice that i would go to college. $$ wasa huge issue because we were poor and going to college meant i had to work to pay for it. i started working every kind of job you can imagine (delivery boy, wait tables, salesman, etc) and the 4 yr college became a 7 yr term for me. half way through college i met my wife and had a kid. we struggled together to make ends meet but i finally finished and got my BA in Bio. the day of graduation came and everyone in my family (mom, dad, wife, daughter) were celbrating as if i had conquered the world but me? nope i really felt like i hadnt done anything whatsoever. i felt scared and concerned that if i dont get into dental school what the heck would i do? unlike many others i didnt have a plan B. i dont mean to bring down anyone who is graduating from college but at the time i was just scared that i hadnt done anything.

then came dental school and i remember the day i got accepted. i wanted to scream and cry at the same time. there were sooooo many days at dental school where i just wanted to quit and say i wont make it. but i had come too far to quit now. somehow i finished DS and for once the graduation ceremony meant a lot to me this time. for once i was jumping up and down like my wife, mom and dad would do.

now i am waiting to get my lic and finally start working in july. i will be seeing a lot of those relatives of mine in 2 weeks and i cant help but wonder how they feel about me sticking with school as oppose to being a travel agent.

THANK YOU Tachyon! :thumbup:

I just got my second grad gift. An Edible fruit arrangement from one of my dearest friends. It's delicious!

This is starting to look like a wedding or something :D

congrats and i wish you the best of luck in the future!!!!

Hi Perfect, you have a perfect determination.

Good luck in your career.:)

I walked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow! The graduation was amazing!!!! My kids will never forget it. I felt a little out of place here and there, but overall I had a great experience!

Obama was not there :rolleyes: but the speakers were extremely good and the president of my school was sweeter than ever.

Yes I can, yes I did it!

Last edited:
you know this post of yours brings back a lot of memories and it defines me almost exactly. like yourself, i was the only one in the family to go to college. a lot of my relatives would always urge me to not go to college because it would be a waste of my time. instead i could be working for them and learning how to be a good travel agent. college would be a complete waste of my time and i could be making money during those 4 years.

so, against all advise i stuck with my choice that i would go to college. $$ wasa huge issue because we were poor and going to college meant i had to work to pay for it. i started working every kind of job you can imagine (delivery boy, wait tables, salesman, etc) and the 4 yr college became a 7 yr term for me. half way through college i met my wife and had a kid. we struggled together to make ends meet but i finally finished and got my BA in Bio. the day of graduation came and everyone in my family (mom, dad, wife, daughter) were celbrating as if i had conquered the world but me? nope i really felt like i hadnt done anything whatsoever. i felt scared and concerned that if i dont get into dental school what the heck would i do? unlike many others i didnt have a plan B. i dont mean to bring down anyone who is graduating from college but at the time i was just scared that i hadnt done anything.

then came dental school and i remember the day i got accepted. i wanted to scream and cry at the same time. there were sooooo many days at dental school where i just wanted to quit and say i wont make it. but i had come too far to quit now. somehow i finished DS and for once the graduation ceremony meant a lot to me this time. for once i was jumping up and down like my wife, mom and dad would do.

now i am waiting to get my lic and finally start working in july. i will be seeing a lot of those relatives of mine in 2 weeks and i cant help but wonder how they feel about me sticking with school as oppose to being a travel agent.

Thank you for your kind words and sharing. I wrote you something last night and it didn't get post it :mad: I'll send you a message.

Congratulations Mr DDS/DMD!!!! It makes me so happy to hear stories like yours. Be very VERY proud!!!! :thumbup:

I walked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow! The graduation was amazing!!!! My kids will never forget it. I felt a little out of place here and there, but overall I had a great experience!

Obama was not there :rolleyes: but the speakers were extremely good and the president of my school was sweeter than ever.

One mom had her son showing up with his army uniform to hand her the diploma. They flew him from Iraq and as you can imagine we were in tears. That was very special. Poor mother couldn't even walk. She had no idea.

Yes I can, yes I did it!

congrats to you as well. good luck with dental school and everything else after it.

Congrats to those who graduated this year.

I got my BA last year and my MA this year. Yay? Quite frankly though, it doesn't feel like much of an accomplishment since I see dental school as the one to conquer but at least I'm a bit closer right? haha.