West Coast Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Roche

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if someone could comment on good programs that are not impossible to get into on the West Coast. I have strong board scores and some publications (not radiology related), but I'm from a lower tier medical school, so I'm not expecting to get into UCLA or Stanford. I'd appreciate any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a bit disappointed.:( Nobody has any insights... or is there another reason why no one wants to address this question?

I'm a bit disappointed.:( Nobody has any insights... or is there another reason why no one wants to address this question?

well... it's kind of hard to answer your question. All the rads programs in the west coast are extremely competitive because... well.. because they are in the west coast. Weather and lifestyle are very attractive there. If you look in this forum, there is someone who listed all the California residencies. I agree that UCLA, Stanford, UCSF, and UCSD are all quite difficult to get into due to academic reputation. However, the rest of them are also difficult to get into because of location. Maybe some smaller programs in AZ or OR. I think Washington is also difficult to get into.

Anyway, you should just give it a shot (including applying to the above 4 programs). Your chances of getting in if you apply = small. Your chances of getting in if you don't even send an application = zero.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Ana, point taken.

I was wondering if someone could comment on good programs that are not impossible to get into on the West Coast. I have strong board scores and some publications (not radiology related), but I'm from a lower tier medical school, so I'm not expecting to get into UCLA or Stanford. I'd appreciate any advice.

Do an away rotation. Let them put a name to your application. If you have the scores and stats, give yourself an edge -- pick 2 places in Cali and set up your rotations for your 4th year. I heard the Stanford rotation is low yield so strike that off your list. UCSF is probably the hardest West Coast program to get into so that might be low yield as well. All others are fair game. Good luck.

Do an away rotation. Let them put a name to your application. If you have the scores and stats, give yourself an edge -- pick 2 places in Cali and set up your rotations for your 4th year. I heard the Stanford rotation is low yield so strike that off your list. UCSF is probably the hardest West Coast program to get into so that might be low yield as well. All others are fair game. Good luck.

What do you mean when you say the Stanford elective is low yield? Is this in regards to what you deem as LOW chances that it'll help you match there (because it's just too damn competitive or there are too many other people doing away electives there and are also looking to shine?) or do you mean "low yield" in terms of what you glean from the experience, learning-wise? Just wondering...

I'm thinking "low yield" means your 1 month away rotation doesn't help you all that much in terms of matching at that program.

Maybe the program doesn't take much stock in knowing you. Maybe they go for scores, grades, research ....

At any rate, pretty much all the West Coast / Mountain State programs are pretty competitive. The 50+ top notch applicants who are all dying to get into UCSF have to have their back ups you know. Same for UCSD, UCLA, U Wash, Oregon, etc.

Some of the supposedly less competitive West Coast programs have only 3 or 4 spots. After 1 spot goes to a local med student and 1 spot goes to that great applicant who did an away rotation there, you don't have the best of odds.

I'd roughly guess upper 230s on step 1 and a solid app otherwise could give you good odds of matching out west somewhere. Apply everywhere and make sure the programs know you really want to stay / go out west.