Program-Specific Info / Q's West Coast University OT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PositiveOT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone accepted into WCU OT program for Spring 2015? We should start a Facebook page:)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Did anybody apply for Fall 2015 entry? I was wondering who actually applied to this school, because the deadline is May 1 and I am still considering applying to the school.

Did anybody apply for Fall 2015 entry? I was wondering who actually applied to this school, because the deadline is May 1 and I am still considering applying to the school.
I'm planning on applying if LLU and USC don't work out. The prereqs are hard for me though, because they require English and humanities courses within the last 10 years, and mine were taken 11 years ago and I don't feel like taking more! :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,

I'm applying as well. I just would like to know how is the program so far? I'm questioning is this a highly recommended school? what is the chance of getting accepted? etc does anyone have a idea please?

Hey I plan on applying , what about you?

Hey I plan on applying , what about you?
Yea if I don't get into any schools for next Fall, I will apply to this school over the summer for Spring 2015 entry. It's really nice that they offer a spring entry option.

Have you apply to some of the OT school yet? if so what schools? do you need GRE? Have you heard anything about West Coast OT program ? is it a good school?

I have applied, Yes you should take the GRE, West coast just recently got accredited, so I think its an okay school, not ranked high or anything. But honestly as long as the school is accredited and you can get a good education out of it, thats all that matters. Ive heard its at a very convenient location.

Anyone know how early applicants should apply for the May 1st deadline? And, how many applicants they have for each cohort? Do they defer applications to the next cycle? I'm anxiously awaiting responses from other schools and just applied to WCU. I haven't submitted any of the supplemental forms but, I just wanted to get some info before proceeding. Thanks in advance!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, I was recently looking for schools still accepting applications. Does anyone know if this school does rolling admissions since their deadline is May 1st for fall. Was trying to decide if I should try for fall or wait to apply to spring. Any info would be helpful, thanks!

Anyone accepted into WCU OT program for Spring 2015? We should start a Facebook page:)
Not sure if you will still read this but I'm applying for Spring 2016 admission and was wondering how you like the school so far, if you would mind sharing your stats, and if you have any advice for people like me who are going through the application process?

Hello! I'm applying for the Fall 2016 start & I wanted to ask current students (and others who have applied) how soon they found out if they would get an interview? I submitted my application in October & wanted to know if I would really have to wait until May to find out if I got an interview? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! I'm applying for the Fall 2016 start & I wanted to ask current students (and others who have applied) how soon they found out if they would get an interview? I submitted my application in October & wanted to know if I would really have to wait until May to find out if I got an interview? Thank you!

They should send you an interview invite fairly quickly. It deff will be before May, they use rolling admissions I believe so they continuously accept people and give interviews.

They should send you an interview invite fairly quickly. It deff will be before May, they use rolling admissions I believe so they continuously accept people and give interviews.

I recieved an email from admissions that they recieved all my info & application but it still said that i'll have to wait until May to hear from them again regarding an interview :/ i hope i hear from them before May..

Did you apply there also?

I recieved an email from admissions that they recieved all my info & application but it still said that i'll have to wait until May to hear from them again regarding an interview :/ i hope i hear from them before May..

Did you apply there also?

Hmm. I applied last year for fall 2015. Maybe I applied later in the cycle and that's why I received the interview so quickly. Well anyway, I applied and got wait listed and didn't get in, then I applied again for this coming spring 2016 and got accepted. BUT I deferred my acceptance to fall 2016 because I applied to a few more schools this cycle and wanted to see other possibilities. I'm from New Jersey, so it'd be a big move! But if nothing else works out I will be attending next fall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm. I applied last year for fall 2015. Maybe I applied later in the cycle and that's why I received the interview so quickly. Well anyway, I applied and got wait listed and didn't get in, then I applied again for this coming spring 2016 and got accepted. BUT I deferred my acceptance to fall 2016 because I applied to a few more schools this cycle and wanted to see other possibilities. I'm from New Jersey, so it'd be a big move! But if nothing else works out I will be attending next fall.

thats awesome you got in the second time around! If you don't mind me asking what your stats look like?

thats awesome you got in the second time around! If you don't mind me asking what your stats look like?

Yeah no problem!

Major: Health and Exercise Science with concentration in health promotion
Overall GPA: 3.49
Pre-Req GPA: Not sure, A's and B's
GRE: Quant: 147 Qual: 146 Writing: 3 (not so great)
Observation hours: 80+ hours in outpatient, hospital, children's outpatient and hand therapy

I think applying twice to them really helped. I didn't think I had a shot the second time but I figured I should just try again and it worked out! Good luck to you, I hope it works out. And hopefully you hear something sooner than May.

Yeah no problem!

Major: Health and Exercise Science with concentration in health promotion
Overall GPA: 3.49
Pre-Req GPA: Not sure, A's and B's
GRE: Quant: 147 Qual: 146 Writing: 3 (not so great)
Observation hours: 80+ hours in outpatient, hospital, children's outpatient and hand therapy

I think applying twice to them really helped. I didn't think I had a shot the second time but I figured I should just try again and it worked out! Good luck to you, I hope it works out. And hopefully you hear something sooner than May.

Thank you so much! Our stats are pretty similar so hopefully I do hear from them soon

Has anyone heard anything yet for the Fall 2016 start?

Reactions: 1 users
Got an email saying they had all my stuff and that I would hear about an interview after the May deadline. But im reading on here that people had interviews in April so who knows

Got an email saying they had all my stuff and that I would hear about an interview after the May deadline. But im reading on here that people had interviews in April so who knows

I wonder if the people who got interviewed in April were for the Spring start? I submitted my application around November & I emailed the admissions advisor today. I'll let you know what she says

How many applicants were there this cycle?

Is the GRE required a WCU? I don't see any mention of it on their website.
Also, does anyone know if they combine your undergrad GPA with your pre-rec's GPA, to equal one cumulative GPA? I know of some programs that do that, such as USC.
Thanks!

The advisor emailed me back today & she didn't answer my question regarding when we're supposed to get notified if we'll recieve an interview or not.

I don't think they require the GRE but since I took it I wasn't really too concerned about it. But I don't think they combine the two GPA's, I think they consider them separetly

Hi, does anyone know if we can apply to WCU for Fall 16 if our prerequisites are in progress? I got an email from them a while ago saying that prerequisites had to be completed by Feb 15 but their program website says prereqs can be in progress. I think its strange that prereqs have to be completed by February if the deadline is in May. I emailed the advisor but she didn't give me a very clear answer. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Hi, does anyone know if we can apply to WCU for Fall 16 if our prerequisites are in progress? I got an email from them a while ago saying that prerequisites had to be completed by Feb 15 but their program website says prereqs can be in progress. I think its strange that prereqs have to be completed by February if the deadline is in May. I emailed the advisor but she didn't give me a very clear answer. Any thoughts? Thanks!

If you're applying for the Fall 2016 start, I believe your prereqs and your undergraduate degree will need to be done by either that May deadline. The Feb. deadline I want to say is just for the applications maybe?

I wanted to apply for fall 2016 too, but the advisor told me everything must be complete by May 1st. Nothing can be in progress by then....which sucks because I graduate a few weeks after that and I have everything else completed.

I wanted to apply for fall 2016 too, but the advisor told me everything must be complete by May 1st. Nothing can be in progress by then....which sucks because I graduate a few weeks after that and I have everything else completed.

Thanks for your reply! Did the advisor mention anything about a Feb 15 deadline? The email I received said that the prerequisites must be "due" by that time. I was not sure if that meant they must be completed by then or just show the intended date of completion. When I emailed the advisor about it she didn't give me an exact date, which is frustrating. I will definitely be done with my prerequisites by May but not by Feb 15.

Thanks for your reply! Did the advisor mention anything about a Feb 15 deadline? The email I received said that the prerequisites must be "due" by that time. I was not sure if that meant they must be completed by then or just show the intended date of completion. When I emailed the advisor about it she didn't give me an exact date, which is frustrating. I will definitely be done with my prerequisites by May but not by Feb 15.
She didn't mention anything about Feb. 15. She just said everything including pre-reqs by May 1st. Can I ask you how you are able to finish a class by May 1st? That is really early for a class to be done.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

She didn't mention anything about Feb. 15. She just said everything including pre-reqs by May 1st. Can I ask you how you are able to finish a class by May 1st? That is really early for a class to be done.

My school operates on the quarter system and I will finish my classes this winter quarter which ends in March!

My school operates on the quarter system and I will finish my classes this winter quarter which ends in March!
Yeah I kinda figured after I wrote my post you were on the quarter system lol. Good luck.

I received the same email saying they received all my application material and would hear back after the deadline. I received another email about 2 weeks later inviting me for an interview in April.

I received the same email saying they received all my application material and would hear back after the deadline. I received another email about 2 weeks later inviting me for an interview in April.
Do you mind sharing your stats?

Major: Exercise Science
Cumulative GPA: 3.4
Pre-Req: 3.9
No GRE
Over 200 hours in Out-patient, home health, hand therapy, and In-patient. Paid and volunteer.
Over 600 hours in the PT field as well. Paid and Volunteer

Major: Exercise Science
Cumulative GPA: 3.4
Pre-Req: 3.9
No GRE
Over 200 hours in Out-patient, home health, hand therapy, and In-patient. Paid and volunteer.
Over 600 hours in the PT field as well. Paid and Volunteer
Are you applying for the fall start?

I have an interview with WCU on May 6th for Fall Start . I was wondering if anyone who has gone through it, has any insight on the interview process? Is there an essay portion? What kinds of questions did they ask? Is it a group interview? Thanks for your help !

I have an interview with WCU on May 6th for Fall Start . I was wondering if anyone who has gone through it, has any insight on the interview process? Is there an essay portion? What kinds of questions did they ask? Is it a group interview? Thanks for your help !
I have an interview on May 6th too! I'll be seeing you then!

There is an essay portion, I think you have like 30-45 min to complete it. And the interview questions are your basic ones. What is OT to you, why you want to go to west coast, and they asked some things about ethics in OT. I think I was asked when was time that I witnessed something unethical. But overall it was pretty laid back! I did mine over skype... so I am not sure if in person was any different, and not sure whether it was a group interview or not. Since it was only me on skype haha. But good luck! I was accepted for fall 2016, I applied for Spring but deffered my seat to the fall cohort.

How did your interview go?

I applied fall start and had my interview on Friday! Has anyone gotten in for fall start yet? How long after your interview did you hear? And how email? Or regular?

I was interviewed during spring and they emailed their decision a week after my interview. I was wait listed and was eventually offered admission but I deferred it to Fall.

Good Luck! :)

There is an essay portion, I think you have like 30-45 min to complete it. And the interview questions are your basic ones. What is OT to you, why you want to go to west coast, and they asked some things about ethics in OT. I think I was asked when was time that I witnessed something unethical. But overall it was pretty laid back! I did mine over skype... so I am not sure if in person was any different, and not sure whether it was a group interview or not. Since it was only me on skype haha. But good luck! I was accepted for fall 2016, I applied for Spring but deffered my seat to the fall cohort.

Do you remember what question they asked for the essay portion?

Do you remember what question they asked for the essay portion?

The first time I interviewed it was something along the lines of why WCU would benefit from having you in the program. And I believe the second time was what makes a god graduate student.

The first time I interviewed it was something along the lines of why WCU would benefit from having you in the program. And I believe the second time was what makes a god graduate student.

Thank you! I just wanted to get an idea of what they'd ask!