Western 2013 - Who's Applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Just got my final rejection email today so it's official....I'm heading to Western! So I think we should all do a trip to the SD Zoo before schools starts and things get really crazy! I dunno just thought I'd put it out there...I guess I'm getting lost in all the excitement. 😀
Anyhoo, I'm prob the only person not on facebook so I'll get one started and meet ya'll there....

BTW mstweetie - what'll you put on the business card - name, school, email, phone - that sort of stuff?
 
Just got my final rejection email today so it's official....I'm heading to Western! So I think we should all do a trip to the SD Zoo before schools starts and things get really crazy! I dunno just thought I'd put it out there...I guess I'm getting lost in all the excitement. 😀
Anyhoo, I'm prob the only person not on facebook so I'll get one started and meet ya'll there....

BTW mstweetie - what'll you put on the business card - name, school, email, phone - that sort of stuff?

YAY! congrats Robeezy!

as for the business cards, yea....click on that link in the email. i just thought it'll be cool to have something to pass out to family and friends, to make it "official"? LOL im a dork, but hey, it'll be cool 😀

*sighs* ive been hearing a lot of congrats from the vets i work with, but they are saying too that it'll be the hardest 4 years of your life! i'm definitely ready to take on the challenge, but i'm not looking forward to all the stress involved booooo. just a random rant.... 4 more years of schooooool 🙄 it'll be all worth it, im sure!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hate to ask? was it a rejection? and if not (hopefully for you) did you ever get an e mail about your acceptance or waitlist?
thanks

No, I was accepted. I did get an e-mail about my acceptance last week, I think it was on Friday, just like everyone else.
 
I'm in Philadelphia and I STILL haven't received my letter from Western. I am assuming I was rejected since I never received either an acceptance or alternate email, but at this point I am beginning to wonder if I got lost in the shuffle. I tried calling Ms. Lopez, but she said I would just have to wait until it comes in the mail. I just want closure, regardless of the decision. Can anyone, who has not posted already, please post if they received their letter (when it arrived and where you live)? Thanks!

Hey wannabeavet, don't despair just yet! Although you didn't get an email, you could still be in the running - I'd like to think no news is good news....sorry you have to wait tho, philly mail is taking its sweet time :whistle:

Update - just called the office and for those who haven't received snail mail yet, wait 7-10 more business days after being mailed out...if by then nothing arrives, give em call!
 
Last edited:
So can anyone explain to me a bit better how years 3 and 4 work as far as rotations? Am I right that in year 3 you do regional rotations as in places around school? How far do you travel? I wouldn't want to have to move again? Then your 4th year you can go anywhere you want? So for example redbank NJ has a big vet hospital, could I go there even though its not a teaching hospital? Is there a placement process to go where you want to go ie your grades or does everyone pretty much get to go where they want? Thanks so much!
 
So I think we should all do a trip to the SD Zoo before schools starts and things get really crazy! I dunno just thought I'd put it out there...I guess I'm getting lost in all the excitement. 😀

Robeezy08 I think the Zoo sounds like a fantastic idea. When I went for my interview I went to the long beach aquarium. It was pretty amazing, but I would really love to go to the SD zoo.
 
So I think we should all do a trip to the SD Zoo before schools starts and things get really crazy! I dunno just thought I'd put it out there...I guess I'm getting lost in all the excitement. 😀

Robeezy08 I think the Zoo sounds like a fantastic idea. When I went for my interview I went to the long beach aquarium. It was pretty amazing, but I would really love to go to the SD zoo.

I've never been to the LB aquarium but that'll be a good trip too!
 
I haven't received my snail mail letter yet, anyone else in the same boat??? Plus (and this is really frustrating) I can't log into my mailbox anymore!🙁
 
So I think we should all do a trip to the SD Zoo before schools starts and things get really crazy! I dunno just thought I'd put it out there...I guess I'm getting lost in all the excitement. 😀

Robeezy08 I think the Zoo sounds like a fantastic idea. When I went for my interview I went to the long beach aquarium. It was pretty amazing, but I would really love to go to the SD zoo.


We should go to the zoo!! We have that whole week together before school starts.. this is so scary/exciting!!! Congrats all.. 😛
 
We should go to the zoo!! We have that whole week together before school starts.. this is so scary/exciting!!! Congrats all.. 😛


just as a heads up.....there are plenty of opportunities to take trips with different clubs and classmates throughout the block. Unless you guys are planning to come out the week before orientation don't plan it during that time. You are involved with various activities that last from 8:00 til usually 5:00. It takes about two hours with no traffic to get to SD. One thing our class did was have dinner the day before orientation started! I arrived the week before and was able to do stuff with my roommates that week and other classmates...but like I said you won't have much time during the week of orientation so plan accordingly!
 
Are most people planning to move in July?

I'm thinking to give myself time to settle down and get to know the surrounding areas? Perhaps take a few trips to different spots in LA before the "stress" begins!
 
Are most people planning to move in July?

I'm thinking to give myself time to settle down and get to know the surrounding areas? Perhaps take a few trips to different spots in LA before the "stress" begins!

My plan is to start the move-in around July 20 then have that following weekend and week before orientation to hang out and "explore" 😀
 
I will be declining my acceptance at Western, so hopefully that will open up a spot for one of you alternates!

Much luck to you! :luck:
 
"I will be declining my acceptance at Western, so hopefully that will open up a spot for one of you alternates!"

Awww...Which school will you be attending?

For those of you that are curious, I found a photo from Dr. Yin's new book- the link is below:

http://www.nerdbook.com/lowstresshandling/chapter1.html

Go the bottom right hand corner of the "online book" and you can turn the pages...page 44, is that not our mystery asian guy? I could be totally wrong, but I think it looks like him!? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!

Mysterious...legendary...AND he protects helpless women from spiders? LOL The book has over 40 photos of him!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
"I will be declining my acceptance at Western, so hopefully that will open up a spot for one of you alternates!"

Awww...Which school will you be attending?

For those of you that are curious, I found a photo from Dr. Yin's new book- the link is below:

http://www.nerdbook.com/lowstresshandling/chapter1.html

Go the bottom right hand corner of the "online book" and you can turn the pages...page 44, is that not our mystery asian guy? I could be totally wrong, but I think it looks like him!? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!

Mysterious...legendary...AND he protects helpless women from spiders? LOL The book has over 40 photos of him!!


I'll be heading to UC Davis in the fall...so I'll miss you all 🙁


Btw...I've been silent for a really long time about it, but after posting that link, I'm gonna say it. SFgeckos, you are so obviously the mysterious asian guy! Come on...just admit it! 😛😉
 
i will also be rejecting my offer at western. hope it goes to someone on here. im off to davis
 
LOL, I'm good friends w/SFgeckos, and he's waayyyyyy better looking than the Asian guy in those photos 😉😀 !!
 
Just wanted to let people on the waitlist know that I'm also giving up my seat at Western...I'm off to Tufts!

Best of luck to everyone!!
 
omg so many of you are giving up your seats! I'm sorry to see you all go, but I really REALLY hope it opens up a spot for me! 🙂

Are any of you white female applicants interested in exotics/marine medicine who has done research?

Maybe I can fill your void...since we all know they replace like with like.
 
Aw. I am rooting for you Turtle Lover! And you too Catnapper if your still out there 🙂. Does anyone know how many people they overaccept by? Then you might have a better idea of how many they will take off the waitlist. I wish they numbered the waitlisters, I empathize with the waiting game ! Thinking good thoughts for those of you that really want it and hence deserve it!! :xf:
 
The amount of people giving up their seats just on sdn makes me feel a little excited. I'm crossing my fingers for both of us turtlelover!
 
As I've posted, I will be giving up my seat...for anyone that is interested about my stats (so that they can hopefully fill my seat):
I'm a 24 y/o white female with 4 years of research experience (including my M.S.), and wanting to focus in equine medicine. I hope this puts some people at ease!
 
Hey guys, this is completely off topic but does anyone know when financial aid at western is dispersed? I'm going over my budget from now until Aug and looks like I'll be penny pinching until aid arrives😳
 
Hey guys, this is completely off topic but does anyone know when financial aid at western is dispersed? I'm going over my budget from now until Aug and looks like I'll be penny pinching until aid arrives😳

Financial Aid won't be available until just about time to register.
 
Does any one know when we will find out what kind of financial aide we are qualified to receive?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Financial Aid won't be available until just about time to register.

Thanks chris03333!

Hey Karlee83 I think once you send in the deposit they'll mail out an orientation packet. I have a feeling we'll settle financial aid matters during orientation week, but not 100% sure.

:help: BTW can someone tell me how to quote multiple people??
 
I hope they don't wait until we get there. I am trying to figure out a budget. I would like to know how much I am getting each semester so I can figure out how much I can spend on rent and etc.
 
I hope they don't wait until we get there. I am trying to figure out a budget. I would like to know how much I am getting each semester so I can figure out how much I can spend on rent and etc.


We didn't recieve our financial aid until August 10th or so....they also don't directly deposit so there is a ten day waiting on a new account for the bank to release the funds.

It isn't when the school releases it....it is when they get their money from the outside banks and FASFA stuff. It is the same for undergraduate loans etc. The second dispersement was like Jan 5th-ish. After the first deposit they have you fill out a paper to have it directly deposited so it is much faster.

Basically do not count on your financial aid for moving expenses, because it will not be available before school starts.
 
yea me too! As for housing, i'm trying to avoid a roommate (at least until I get to know people then maybe get roomies second year) and was looking into studio's about 15min from campus. Not as budget friendly as I had hoped, say ~ 700/month and that's not even estimating for utilities, ouch.
But then again, that's just an estimate from thumbing through craigslist. I'm hoping to find more possibilities through Western's housing network.
budgeting is not fun...

edit: no longer avoiding the roommate thing...pomona is freakn expensive, even for a studio! As long as I have my own bathroom ( yea, I need space) I'm all for getting a roommate. Sooooo future classmates, anyone interested in living in Clairemont/LaVerne?? 😀
 
Last edited:

Thanks!


mdnghtdnc said:
We didn't recieve our financial aid until August 10th or so....they also don't directly deposit so there is a ten day waiting on a new account for the bank to release the funds.

It isn't when the school releases it....it is when they get their money from the outside banks and FASFA stuff. It is the same for undergraduate loans etc. The second dispersement was like Jan 5th-ish. After the first deposit they have you fill out a paper to have it directly deposited so it is much faster.

Basically do not count on your financial aid for moving expenses, because it will not be available before school starts.

Thanks!...practicing the multiquote, hope this works😀
 
Emy,

What kind of issues? You go to mail.westernu.edu. Don't type "www." Hope that helps?
 
Emy,
I had a problem when I tried to change my password. The user name is already there for you, but if you click on it scan to the right and alot of extra stuff is attached, you have to delete that to change the password then it will let you in.
 
Thanks everyone! its finally working.
But did all of you have a million messages?? it took me over an hour to delete all of them.

And have any of you received a confirmation for turning in a deposit and your acceptance form???
 
Thanks everyone! its finally working.
But did all of you have a million messages?? it took me over an hour to delete all of them.

And have any of you received a confirmation for turning in a deposit and your acceptance form???


A million, billion msg's and I haven't completed all my deletes yet....my fingers hurt....In regards to the confirmation letter, have they cashed your check yet? I think as soon as that happens, you should receive an orientation packet (or something) very soon, at least that's what I hope will happen. As for me, I haven't received my declaration letter yet (still trying to work on this problem) however when I do, I'll be sure to keep ya'll updated!
 
I recieved a confirmation email that they had recieved my payment, but I have not gotten anyother info
 
Anyone know the size of the starting fall class?

I recall a range of 100-120? I remember during orientation, they mentioned there's always a few that leave or drop out
 
I received a confirmation e-mail of my deposit a little while ago. I also overnighted my deposit like the day after I was accepted 🙂. So they might have been a tad bit busy then.

SFGeckos, I thought I remember Karen saying the class size is 100 - 105 and they waitlist anywhere from 60 - 100 depending on the year.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Sorry, I meant to say - I am a dork and overnighted my deposit so they may have been a tad LESS busy then. 🙂
 
I am on the alternate list and I got an email with some info. They said the alternate list varies by year but contains anywhere from 75-115 people. :scared: Which makes it seem like everyone who didn't get an acceptance is waitlisted basically. This just makes me feel even less hopeful
 
Natalieises, from the other schools I have interviewed at Western waitlists about the same amount of students as anywhere else. I guess they just don't give numbers so I understand that seems discouraging. I wish people had an idea, I know I would want to know but I guess its not possible with how they chose the class.
Also, they certainly don't waitlist everyone. A little over 300 students were interviewed so if they wait listed 100 that would only be 33 percent waitlisted. I hope something comes through for you!

Ps has anyone catnapper?
 
Otayyy. Just wanted to share my excitment that I have sent my decline into UTK and I will be joining an amazing class at Western!!! Can't wait 🙂 . It ALMOST makes me want to join facebook! (Too much of a time suck for me 🙂since I have little self control there haha ) Yeeeaayyy Western c/o 2013!!!!
 
Otayyy. Just wanted to share my excitment that I have sent my decline into UTK and I will be joining an amazing class at Western!!! Can't wait 🙂 . It ALMOST makes me want to join facebook! (Too much of a time suck for me 🙂since I have little self control there haha ) Yeeeaayyy Western c/o 2013!!!!

I posted elsewhere but here goes again...Hurray!
Fine choice if I do say so myself😀
I've been avoiding Facebook too b/c of time but I'm pretty excited to meet everyone so maybe I'll get to it this weekend!