Western 2013 - Who's Applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey Catnapper, UT is an awsome school. It was actually probably my first choice, but, I didn't even get an interview. Knock them out with an awsome interview and you're on your way. :luck:

It's too bad we can't all like exchange acceptances once everything is said and done...🙄
 
So i was at work for 12 hours today and I checked my email, I saw the heading from Western, opened the email and... the page went blank, I logged back on and there is NO RECORD of the email, not deleted not in spam just GONE!!!! I called the admissions department and they said they would resend the email, ON MONDAY!

I am going crazy, what did it say, do you think it is either alternate or accepted, has anyone gotten denied by email? If you are an alternate, did you also get an email address and crazy password?

Please help with my anxiety😕:scared::scared::scared::scared:
 
Haha...I am with you on this one Chris....

everyone needs to chill out! Signing into BanWeb means nothing at this point. There were people myself included that was able to sign into the e-mail account assigned. This DID NOT WORK for everyone. There is no way to tell if you got waitlisted, accepted, or rejected!

SORRY for the late post.... I just got back from spring break and didn't realize all the acceptance posts. As far as for the alternate list for class of 2012 it didn't move very much but my big sibs class moved quite a bit (which would be DVM 2011). This is the first year for e-mail notification so most likely they will follow up with a hard copy which would be sent on Sat.

CONGRADULATIONS FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO WERE ACCEPTED.... and wish all of you luck who haven't herd or made the wait list! I am looking forward to being one of you lucky ducks' big sib!!
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So i was at work for 12 hours today and I checked my email, I saw the heading from Western, opened the email and... the page went blank, I logged back on and there is NO RECORD of the email, not deleted not in spam just GONE!!!! I called the admissions department and they said they would resend the email, ON MONDAY!

I am going crazy, what did it say, do you think it is either alternate or accepted, has anyone gotten denied by email? If you are an alternate, did you also get an email address and crazy password?

Please help with my anxiety😕:scared::scared::scared::scared:

Check your trash folder sometimes they will pop in there
 
I got my waitlist e-mail this morning. What a bummer!! I was kind of expecting it since I bombed my interview 🙁 This is my second year being waitlisted. Third times a charm I hope! Does anyone have any suggestions for jobs that might help me overcome my fear of interviews. I honestly think it is what is keeping me from being accepted. During my post mortem interview, I was told to improve in that area especially. My friend suggested I apply to random jobs on craigslist and go through the interviews even if I have no intention of taking on the job.
 
I got my waitlist e-mail this morning. What a bummer!! I was kind of expecting it since I bombed my interview 🙁 This is my second year being waitlisted. Third times a charm I hope! Does anyone have any suggestions for jobs that might help me overcome my fear of interviews. I honestly think it is what is keeping me from being accepted. During my post mortem interview, I was told to improve in that area especially. My friend suggested I apply to random jobs on craigslist and go through the interviews even if I have no intention of taking on the job.
Are you still in undergrad? Im at cal poly and most schools career centers will do mock interviews, other than that I work in real estate as an admin assistant so Im constantly talking to people and what not, even maybe being a receptionist somewhere, I know easier said than done but just try and think of it as a conversation. I felt like I went pale for all my interviews but just tried to take deep breaths between all my answers and in advance look at events/situations you were in and what they included. Like oh well this time I had to stick up for myself or made a tough decision etc. For my behavioral interviews I had 3 or 4 situations that I could apply to multiple behavioral style questions and if it wasn't totally on track with the question I tried to form it to sound like it was.

I already know 3 people from my school alone that are turning down their acceptances so hang in there!
 
There it was, deep within my spam.... My acceptance!!!!

I am soo excited, Western is where I really wanted to go!
 
For those of you who are waitlisted, found an old email correspondence w/ Western when I was wait listed last year (June 6, 2008.) I wanted to update my application and asked about movement w/in the alternate list, here's the response:

.""Thank you for your email! I have updated your mailing address and our correspondence will now be sent to your new home. Unfortunately there is little I can update you with regarding the Waitlist. I do not know the number of waitlisted applicants and the class is sat for diversity, so when an accepted student declines, the Dean of the college will seek to replace that student that reflects similar demographics and interests. .
. .
.As far as sending an update is concerned, you are more than welcome to send in any updated information or completed projects that you may have been working on. Please let me know if there is anything else that I can do for you!.
. .
.Take care and good luck!.""

Hope this helps a bit w/ questions and good luck to you!:luck:
 
In the meanwhile...let me guess: all of you accepteds are either just now completing or have completed your first 4 years of undergrad within in the past 5 years, am I right?

I'm also non-trad. I left grad school in psychology in December of 2007 to change fields. I'm not as non-trad as some of the folks on here, but I definitely have a few years of work and schooling after receiving my degree.

Congrats to everyone that received an acceptance! And to those who are waitlisted, I'm hoping that the waitlist will move to let you all in!
 
I graduated in 2002 with a degree in Environmental Studies. I have been working in Shelters and Vet Hospitals since than.

Two years ago I decided to try for vet school and began the long proccess of taking all that undergrad science I needed.

And in about 6 months Im turning 30!!!! Wow
 
I'm in-😍
I found out a few days ago!!!!
WesternU 2013

I interviewed with OSU and Western but fell in love with PBL and the school's philosophy. As for my stats; My strengths; I have a lot (worked full time at specialty/referral clinics since I was 17-I'm 27 now) of hands on experience, community service/outreach/awards, and I took on really complicated curriculum with studies in advanced immunology/osteosarcoma (research interest). My weakness were my B average GPA, and that I repeated courses.

Before my application, someone broke in and stole things from my apt including my laptop ( with all my supplimentals completed on it!!) I had to start from scratch 48 hours before it was due, and then I found a cardiac mass in my dear little DLH ("Painting") and she had to euth. By the time it was all done, I was worried that I would be a disaster at my interview!!!!

It still hasn't sank in yet!!!! :laugh: I wish you all luck, and I hope to see you all there as the poverty stricken vet students we will all be🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I guess I am non trad too. I graduated from Syracuse in 2004 with a mjor in PR and minor in Bio. I then did a post bacc pre med program at U Penn where I worked as a nurse for 3 years in the Vet ER.

I then decided to go to vet school abroad. (Yep I said vet school 🙂 ). I actually have a year under my belt but for personal reasons had to come home. Its been a little over a year but I have always wanted to be in a US school so after working as a tech for a year and feeling a bit like I was only going backwards I am finally on my way to where I REALLY want to be!unfortunately none of my credits will transfer so I can only hope I might be a bit of an asset to my lab dissection group 🙂

Everyone has crazy stories huh? .
 
Anyone else get their letter yet? I just got home from 3 days away from home, checked the mail, and there it was. Fancy envelope and fancy paper...postmarked March 13th.

I don't know about the rest of you but reality still hasn't hit me...
 
Is anyone else having trouble deciding between PBL and traditional curriculums? I thought I saw earlier in this post that someone was debating between Tufts and Western.

I got into a few traditional schools as well as Western, and am having a hard trouble deciding where to go. Before I got into Western, it was like picking between apples and apples, but now it's like picking between apples and oranges with the different learning styles. I really really like the PBL idea because it makes sense that finding your own answers would help the material stick in your head better. I also really like how you get to interact with peers a lot more and get tons of hands on experience. But when I look at the classes listed in a traditional curriculum (neuropharmacology😱), it makes me nervous that I'll have to learn ALL that on my own. I know the faculty help you and you can request lectures...but still. Does anyone else feel this way?

What's making you choose Western?
 
I'm typically in the same boat as you... I'm having a hard time deciding which teaching method would be best for me. On the one hand, I have had some experience with PBL in undergrad (and after 3 years, I still remember good portions of it..the take home lessons of the cases)... but learning vet med through a curriculum that is 90% PBLs.... I'm hoping some of you Western students/alumni can help put your 2 cents in and help steer us towards our decisions!!!
 
ok my 2 cents would be don't freak out about titles of a class.... you must think that you are sitting there getting nothing but parasites, histology, anatomy, neuropharmacology...etc...
In a PBL case you may get five to ten drugs a case or sometimes no drugs... you will always have anatomy but it is usually focused on an area.... you get histology that is directed towards your case... so if you think about it you are applying all systems together and get to see how they all interact... instead of recieving a thousand parasites in four weeks. Fewer numbers spread out over two years and seeing how it all ties with each other helps memory... I can tell you that it is tough and not a walk in the park and you will need to study a lot...there is a lot of reading involved.. so if you are not self motivated, don't like to read, or need a lot of direction... DO NOT CHOOSE WESTERN!!!! I hope that helps in making your decsions. If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Maybe Chriss can add a little more or has a different point of view?
 
I like the way you describe PBL. I remember learning 40 to 50 parasites per exam etc. We called it "academic bulemia". We shoved the information into our brains, spit it up for a test and then forgot half of it anyway.

The only thing that still scares is me is what exactly do you mean by "if you like a lot of direction western is not for you." I am self motivated, love to read but who doesn't like direction? I obviously believe the last thing Western wants is to set anyone up to fail, but what kind of direction is there exactly? I don't want half my time spent looking for information when its more important to be learning it. So, I guess if you could clarify thatd be great 🙂.
 
The only thing that still scares is me is what exactly do you mean by "if you like a lot of direction western is not for you." I am self motivated, love to read but who doesn't like direction? So, I guess if you could clarify thatd be great 🙂.

It is simply explained like this:

If you are the type who only wants to study the stuff which you will be tested on...

If you are the type which can not function unless a professor tells you what will be on the test...

If you do not like to learn how to evaluate resources and learn to find things that are valid on your own (in addition to teaching yourself a TON of info)

If you have problems with having a question as an answer to your question...

Then you might go crazy at Western:meanie:.


PBL can be the biggest pain in the *****, but you will learn your material where it is almost scary when you step into clinics:idea:.

And the clinical years (3 &4) frickin rocked.

👍
 
For those looking for your official letters I just got mine today. It made it all the way to Chicago in 2 days! Amazing, seeing as how my in state school sent their letters the same day and it's not here yet lol
 
It is simply explained like this:

If you are the type who only wants to study the stuff which you will be tested on...

If you are the type which can not function unless a professor tells you what will be on the test...

If you do not like to learn how to evaluate resources and learn to find things that are valid on your own (in addition to teaching yourself a TON of info)

If you have problems with having a question as an answer to your question...

Then you might go crazy at Western:meanie:.


PBL can be the biggest pain in the *****, but you will learn your material where it is almost scary when you step into clinics:idea:.

And the clinical years (3 &4) frickin rocked.

👍


I second all of what Chriss has said...I don't think any other explanation is needed!👍
 
Thanks mdnghtdnc and chris.... it really is helpful...I have a couple more questions, haha....hopefully one of you will be able to answer each question... first, when I was there for the interview, there were a couple buildings being built, one of which I believe you said would be a new pathology building, correct? Also, I know my tour guides said there was always an opportunity for student involvement with the faculty's research...I don't have much research experience (actually very little), but I am very interested in pursuing my interest in pathology (to see if it's an outlet I would like to take in my future career as a vet)...so, would I be able to do that at Western, and at what year would I be able to do it? Next question... about the PBLs and study groups...are the cases the same for each group at the same time (I couldn't imagine it being an other way, otherwise how else would you be able to switch to a new group with new people)? How do you meet everyone in your class (if each PBL case is only with 7-8 people)?... are your study groups just of those people in your PBL group? I'm just curious how close knit the class is...is there a sense of comraderie, or do you feel you barely know each other with how the PBL is set up?
 
Thanks mdnghtdnc and chris.... it really is helpful...I have a couple more questions, haha....hopefully one of you will be able to answer each question... first, when I was there for the interview, there were a couple buildings being built, one of which I believe you said would be a new pathology building, correct? Also, I know my tour guides said there was always an opportunity for student involvement with the faculty's research...I don't have much research experience (actually very little), but I am very interested in pursuing my interest in pathology (to see if it's an outlet I would like to take in my future career as a vet)...so, would I be able to do that at Western, and at what year would I be able to do it? Next question... about the PBLs and study groups...are the cases the same for each group at the same time (I couldn't imagine it being an other way, otherwise how else would you be able to switch to a new group with new people)? How do you meet everyone in your class (if each PBL case is only with 7-8 people)?... are your study groups just of those people in your PBL group? I'm just curious how close knit the class is...is there a sense of comraderie, or do you feel you barely know each other with how the PBL is set up?


Ok...I can answer both of your questions. Yes! The newest building is the pathology building. We have four pathologists here at Western....all have very exciting past histories which you will become familiar with because they are always excited to talk about anything pathology. Research is done primarily over the summer and can be done between the first and second year. It is open to anyone with or without experience. You just go through and fill out an application etc... Pathology is one of the core subjects in your first year meaning you must pass pathology with a 65 or above to move on to the next year with out having to remediate over the summer..the other two are anatomy and physiology. (however grading is confusing because overall you must receive a 70 or above) Any way there is a lot of pathology thrown at you your first year. There is also the pathology club that does a lot of different activities.

Second question.... Everyone in your class will have the same case that way you can all communicate with each other and help find resources to share etc. During orientation week you will meet the entire class and participate in many activities that brings the calss together. Everyone in our class are pretty much friends there are a few problems but you will always have that. PBL actually makes you get to know your classmates quicker and actually learn about them. Traditional schools go through all four years and may not even recognize people within their own class. You will know everyone personally in your class by the end of the first semester. Study groups are chosen by you, some people have ten people, some have two it is up to you and how you study. You don't even need to set up and actual group if you don't want to...however I highly suggest having a study group. (and so do the staff)

Let me know if I wasn't clear or you have additional questions... I am always happy to help!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The only thing I will add is there is:
One of my classmates who is currently a Pathology Resident at UTK ('07 class)

One of the next graduating class ('08 class) is a pathology resident at MSU (Michigan)

So far we have at least one pathology resident per graduating class so we must be doing something right... :0)
 
For those looking for your official letters I just got mine today. It made it all the way to Chicago in 2 days! Amazing, seeing as how my in state school sent their letters the same day and it's not here yet lol

i havent received it yet, and i live in seattle....

anyone else receive the letter??
 
My letter arrived today (March 17th)...I live all the way over in Florida...

YAY! i got it...my mom had it 🙄

anyone having trouble with the "Admitted Student Web Page" we're supposed to go to?? it says the web page isn't found... ??
 
I got my letter yesterday and Im in Washington DC. mstweetie, I am getting an error logging onto that page too. 😕
 
does anyone still need to fulfill the animal nutrition pre-req? im planning on taking it through purdue online as i've heard good things about the course on SDN on previous threads ... anyone else?
 
does anyone still need to fulfill the animal nutrition pre-req? im planning on taking it through purdue online as i've heard good things about the course on SDN on previous threads ... anyone else?

I'm taking it right now and am finishing up this month....PM me for more info, but seriously, it's ALOT of information - 3 exams, 2 homework sets and a term project at the end of the course. It's tough for a distance learning course, esp trying to balance rations....then again I didn't buy the book and using only online resources and work full time all the while taking a course at the local CC....+pity+
On a positive note, the instructor is easy to get a hold of via email and will answer your questions asap. 😀
 
hmm...I haven't tried to access my email or the admitted students web page.... heh, I've been so stressed trying to make my decision and worrying that I will make the wrong choice.... I will try to access that site later today and let you know if I had any success 😳
 
So I just tried to access my western email account...unsuccessfully... I followed instructions and used the temporary password... after entering all that it brings me to a page saying my password has expired and to make a new one, so I do...and then a new page pops up saying the domain name is expired or something along those lines.... I can access banweb and see housing options, etc....but no luck with the webmail.... eh, we should probably bring this to someone's attention soon....
 
does anyone still need to fulfill the animal nutrition pre-req? im planning on taking it through purdue online as i've heard good things about the course on SDN on previous threads ... anyone else?

I was signed up for that class and it was A LOT of work! I dropped it when I got my rejection from Purdue (I took human nutrition so Western accepts that). But my friend is currently taking the one through OKSU. She said it's really easy, so that might be better. I also think it might be cheaper than Purdue too. Good luck!
 
Ok everyone I just registered for Animal Nutrition through OK State and thought you all would want the info

It is Animal Sciences 3543 "principles of animal nutrition"

You can register and pay by calling 405-744-6390

The TOTAL cost is $651

The class sounds like more of a corrispondance class not online. They send you your book and all your assingments, you can send or email your assignments and then there are 5 exams that you must have a proctor send in for you.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm in Philadelphia and I STILL haven't received my letter from Western. I am assuming I was rejected since I never received either an acceptance or alternate email, but at this point I am beginning to wonder if I got lost in the shuffle. I tried calling Ms. Lopez, but she said I would just have to wait until it comes in the mail. I just want closure, regardless of the decision. Can anyone, who has not posted already, please post if they received their letter (when it arrived and where you live)? Thanks!
 
hate to ask? was it a rejection? and if not (hopefully for you) did you ever get an e mail about your acceptance or waitlist?
thanks
 
I'm in Philadelphia and I STILL haven't received my letter from Western. I am assuming I was rejected since I never received either an acceptance or alternate email, but at this point I am beginning to wonder if I got lost in the shuffle. I tried calling Ms. Lopez, but she said I would just have to wait until it comes in the mail. I just want closure, regardless of the decision. Can anyone, who has not posted already, please post if they received their letter (when it arrived and where you live)? Thanks!

Got my acceptance last Saturday, March 14th. I'm in Los Angeles.
 
P.S. Here is the address for the Admitted Student Web Page: http://prospective.westernu.edu/veterinary/admitted

This pages has a lot of information available to us! Now if only I can figure out the problem with my western email account....

hmmm...so you have to leave out the .xml? strangee!

my email is working fine..wuts the prob with yours??

anyone super surprised that they send out so many mass WesternU emails a day?? i found a cool one though, about business cards! i think im gonna get some 🙂

here's the info in case you can't access your email -- due date is soon

__________________________________________________
To All Students:
University Student Affairs is pleased to offer you the opportunity to purchase student business cards AT COST. All orders must be received by March 31, 2009. Please read below for cost and order details. The order form is also attached.
COST
· 100 BUSINESS CARDS = $19.50
· 250 BUSINESS CARDS = $31.00
· 500 BUSINESS CARDS = $51.00
HOW TO ORDER
1. Order Form: type your information into the order form and print. Order form can be found at http://www.westernu.edu/bin/students/student-business-card-order-form.doc.
2. Payment: obtain a check or money order for one of the amounts above
3. Send To: drop off/mail your order form and payment to University Student Affairs by March 31st
(if you mail your order form, it must be received by the deadline or your order will not be placed)
4. Review Proof: Watch for your proof to be sent to you via email in mid April. Reply with a simple “approved” or “not approved” within 5 days of receiving the email. If corrections need to be made simply indicate those in your reply email.
5. Cancellation Policy: If we do not hear from you within 5 days of receiving your proof, your order will be cancelled and your check/money order shredded.
Please be aware that individual student clubs and classes are not authorized to order business cards utilizing any part of the WesternU logo or name. We anticipate accepting orders for student business cards semiannually, so plan your purchases accordingly.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask!


Christopher Hillman
Student Affairs Assistant
University Student Affairs
Western University of Health Sciences
309 E 2nd St
Pomona, CA 91766
Phone: (909) 469-5340
Fax: (909) 469-5425