WESTERN/COMP Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
jennifer, dadof2, house, and phoenixxx, would you guys mind posting your stats/PMing me with them? i'm interested in what they're liking... and would you mind telling how long you've been complete/waiting in desperation for an interview??



thank you!!


😉

10/10/10 P
3.2 overall GPA
3.1 science GPA
3.2 graduate GPA
The rest of my stuff is pretty solid, lots of research and volunteering. It took them 4+ weeks to send me an interview request and for awhile I thought it might be because I had an MD write my LOR but from what I've been noticing lately they just take awhile.
 
just found out I got in..they have a very quick turn around time..i interviewed nov 8
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was looking for some help from current students at Western regarding a new computer, I like the macbook, but I was wondering if there are any issues with getting the online lectures to run on the mac, or any other big problems students who have them run into. Thanks to cyclohexanol for already giving me advice on a PC!! Any help would be great!

During my interview I asked this question. The answer was that there may be some issues accessing online stuff sometimes. I thought I'd just get a PC. But, I didn't think about getting the Bootcamp. I wonder if anyone at WesternU uses a Mac with Bootcamp. We were allowed to go into a lecture (looked like a histology lecture) hall while the lecture was being given. Pretty much everyone had laptops in front of them. I saw an iBook and a Powerbook. I didn't get to ask how much problems they have accessing stuff.
 
During my interview I asked this question. The answer was that there may be some issues accessing online stuff sometimes. I thought I'd just get a PC. But, I didn't think about getting the Bootcamp. I wonder if anyone at WesternU uses a Mac with Bootcamp. We were allowed to go into a lecture (looked like a histology lecture) hall while the lecture was being given. Pretty much everyone had laptops in front of them. I saw an iBook and a Powerbook. I didn't get to ask how much problems they have accessing stuff.

Some use bootcamp, some use parallels. It was a histology lecture if a guy who looked like Mr. Burns from the simpsons was lecturing.
 
It was a histology lecture if a guy who looked like Mr. Burns from the simpsons was lecturing.

One time, I threw out a Mr. Burns "Exxxcelent!" without even referring to said professor. Only when I looked up to see him did I realize my error.
 
Stupid premed question here...

but is it safe to assume that if I haven't received any type of communication from the school after I submitted my primary 3 weeks ago...that I've been

"REJECTED PRE-SECONDARY"

or should I expect an official "Why are you wasting your time Mr. 22 MCAT man?" email or letter?

just curious...as I'm dying to update my mdapps profile.
 
Stupid premed question here...

but is it safe to assume that if I haven't received any type of communication from the school after I submitted my primary 3 weeks ago...that I've been

"REJECTED PRE-SECONDARY"

or should I expect an official "Why are you wasting your time Mr. 22 MCAT man?" email or letter?

just curious...as I'm dying to update my mdapps profile.

You have not been rejected until you get an official rejection letter. Arbitrary timelines mean little
 
I did too, until I found out that it had gone down to 24 for their most recent class at the interview.

Age is the only thing that I score way above average.
I hope that they treat age just like a mcat score or gpa. How about this?
VR: 10, PS: 10, BS: 10, W:O, A: 30

PS: That's not my real mcat scores btw.
 
Age is the only thing that I score way above average.
I hope that they treat age just like a mcat score or gpa. How about this?
VR: 10, PS: 10, BS: 10, W:O, A: 30

Hahah. Hilarious!
But is it a sliding scale, or is it proportional?
i.e., do you have to score over 60 total, or do you just have to score your own age? Because that could make things either super-hard or super-easy for the 22-year-olds. 😉

Good thing I took it when I was 29. 🙂
 
Hi guys,

I'm accepted at Western, and I was just wondering if anyone else is worried about the "If you would like to guarantee your spot right away, you can send in the deposit immediately!" phrase in the acceptance letter.

Is there any possibility of us being dropped if we wait until right before the deadline?
 
Hello all,

I interview at Western tomorrow (invited yesterday... WTF?! I have been complete since September-ish. I'm almost certain they "misplaced" my file, anyway, just happy I finally got an interview!). I can't find anywhere on their website info about their clinical rotation sites are or who their ward based affiliates are... or, for that matter, any info about 3rd and 4th years at all, except that they exist and you do 4 week rotations. If anyone has this info or knows where to locate it, I would appreciate it. Thanks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does Western have a student hosting program for interviewees? If they do, who should I contact to get hooked up with a current student for the night? If you were hosted, would you recommend doing it like that?

I've got an interview on Dec. 20 :luck:. WAHOOOO!!!!
 
GaryPham, I decided that Dec. 20 would be better because I was worried about the class filling up. Don't worry, I have no solid evidence to back up this worry. It's pure speculation. Anyways, good luck to you!!
 
Hello all,

I interview at Western tomorrow (invited yesterday... WTF?! I have been complete since September-ish. I'm almost certain they "misplaced" my file, anyway, just happy I finally got an interview!). I can't find anywhere on their website info about their clinical rotation sites are or who their ward based affiliates are... or, for that matter, any info about 3rd and 4th years at all, except that they exist and you do 4 week rotations. If anyone has this info or knows where to locate it, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

I poured my heart and soul into writing about the rotation sites at length, granted it was in another thread, but clearly some people don't read it. Sigh...what's the point of spending my time... 😉
 
good luck MRD! If I was offered an earlier date I would take it in a heartbeat too. Jan 31st was the earliest offer they gave me so I'm just gonna have to hope that there'll still be a good amount of spots left. Do you happen to know if there are any earlier interview dates during January or is there just a gigantic gap between Dec 20th and Jan 31st?
 
Hello all,

I interview at Western tomorrow (invited yesterday... WTF?! I have been complete since September-ish. I'm almost certain they "misplaced" my file, anyway, just happy I finally got an interview!). I can't find anywhere on their website info about their clinical rotation sites are or who their ward based affiliates are... or, for that matter, any info about 3rd and 4th years at all, except that they exist and you do 4 week rotations. If anyone has this info or knows where to locate it, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Search function, yo

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=352351
 
I just mailed mine last week too. They send you a book though, haha. Looks like Western Class of 2012, here i come!!!!!
 
I just mailed mine last week too. They send you a book though, haha. Looks like Western Class of 2012, here i come!!!!!

Yay! I'm most likely accepting my Western acceptance also! I'm just waiting on one more schoool, and it's freaking me out because I'm supposed to get word on the 10th, and my deadline for Western is the 14th! I should probably just give in (the other school I'm waiting on is UW... and I'm not even sure if I'd go there if I got the acceptance) and send in my deposit...

Anyway, congrats on the acceptance, and hopefully I'll see you next year!
 
I just mailed mine last week too. They send you a book though, haha. Looks like Western Class of 2012, here i come!!!!!

Congratulations!

The book is "The D.O.s"
Read it in your spare time, because it actually becomes mildly relevant.
We're big on our history. 🙂
 
I mailed my deposit in and got the package with the book earlier this week (Monday, I think). Now I have two copies of the DO book.

Now I have one less Christmas present to buy!!
 
Yah, the book is pretty interesting, but its even funnier when my friends see the book and immediately reply "The Do's" and then i correct them, "no, its D.O.'s"... hahah.

I haven't yet decided if i want to move closer to school (i live about 25-30 minutes away)... or save money by commuting... i still have some time to think about it though 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yah, the book is pretty interesting, but its even funnier when my friends see the book and immediately reply "The Do's" and then i correct them, "no, its D.O.'s"... hahah. 🙂

I share the same sentiments. When I first purchased the book, the lady at the bookstore said the same thing.
 
same here. decisions, decisions.

Wow, I soooo wish I was making those decisions right now. However, that would be jumping the gun since I'm just now celebrating receiving my western secondary. 👍 First things first I guess! Oh, and I live like an hour north, so I will definitely have to move somewhere down there unless I want to brave that heinous traffic every morning.
 
Interview on January 31st! I think i'm really going to like this school. I also interviewed at Nova and between the two I don't know which I like better at this point. Nova does have incredible facilities and sunshine. They are both established schools. California will have milder summers and still sunshine. You guys have any input about the difference between the academic programs.
 
Question, is western one of those schools that 'tends' to interview most of the people they send secondaries to, or do they send alot of secondaries out and only interview a select few?
 
Question, is western one of those schools that 'tends' to interview most of the people they send secondaries to, or do they send alot of secondaries out and only interview a select few?

They send out a lot. Most of the CA peeps applying MD also apply to Western as a back up. It sucks, I know.
 
Question, is western one of those schools that 'tends' to interview most of the people they send secondaries to, or do they send alot of secondaries out and only interview a select few?

If you think of it as a "filtering" process, the biggest hoop to jump through is receiving the interview. Statistically speaking, once you get an interview, you're right around 90% to (eventually) get an acceptance. I believe, however, this includes post-waitlisting, and other people accepting positions elsewhere. I don't remember what the numbers are, exactly, for getting a secondary, though. I think it's the Secondary -> Interview step that's the rate-limiting step of the reaction. 😉
 
I haven't yet decided if i want to move closer to school (i live about 25-30 minutes away)...

I live 15 minutes away, in Rancho Cucamonga.
It's perfect for me.
Some people stay at the Helix (basically "on" campus.) Too dorm-like for me, though. 🙂
 
If you think of it as a "filtering" process, the biggest hoop to jump through is receiving the interview. Statistically speaking, once you get an interview, you're right around 90% to (eventually) get an acceptance. I believe, however, this includes post-waitlisting, and other people accepting positions elsewhere. I don't remember what the numbers are, exactly, for getting a secondary, though. I think it's the Secondary -> Interview step that's the rate-limiting step of the reaction. 😉


Wow, O-chem never dies huh, So, would you consider the whole process to be an E1 reaction?
 
Hi guys,
I have a question for those who interview people and others who would know. I would like to know my chances for getting into Western. Here's my info:
Graduate total GPA: 3.548; science: 3.497
Overall (undergrad +grad) total GPA: 3.315;
Overall sci: 3.176
MCATs: April 2004: PS:9; VR:9; BS: 11 WR:Q (total 29Q)
Sept 2007: PS:9; VR:10 BS: 11 WR: Q (total 30Q)
(note: I don't think the first Mcat counts that much, because it's too old >3yrs)

My graduate is all bio-med courses.
I have both clinical and nonclinical volunteer expereince
Research: undergrad (Neuropsych) + Grad (Cardiology)
Letters: MD-Physician Cardiologist, My Graduate-Advisor (a DO); 2 Science-Proff's; Employer from 2004, Volunteer letter from '04.

I know that's a lot, but I tried to be as complete as possible. Have I got a chance w/ Western? Will my advisor-DO letter be of any help even if my physician-letter is MD? They received my secondary, and the letters should get entered next week. What do you guys think?
 
Wow, O-chem never dies huh, So, would you consider the whole process to be an E1 reaction?

LOL! :laugh:

I wish I could think of a mildly intelligent response to that, maybe something ochem related, but gosh if I don't have to...I won't.
 
I live 15 minutes away, in Rancho Cucamonga.
It's perfect for me.
Some people stay at the Helix (basically "on" campus.) Too dorm-like for me, though. 🙂

I haven't heard anything about the Helix. Are they like apartments or something? Also, do the majority of the med students live on or off campus?
 
Your chances look good, MD or DO letter does not matter.

Hi guys,
I have a question for those who interview people and others who would know. I would like to know my chances for getting into Western. Here's my info:
Graduate total GPA: 3.548; science: 3.497
Overall (undergrad +grad) total GPA: 3.315;
Overall sci: 3.176
MCATs: April 2004: PS:9; VR:9; BS: 11 WR:Q (total 29Q)
Sept 2007: PS:9; VR:10 BS: 11 WR: Q (total 30Q)
(note: I don't think the first Mcat counts that much, because it's too old >3yrs)

My graduate is all bio-med courses.
I have both clinical and nonclinical volunteer expereince
Research: undergrad (Neuropsych) + Grad (Cardiology)
Letters: MD-Physician Cardiologist, My Graduate-Advisor (a DO); 2 Science-Proff's; Employer from 2004, Volunteer letter from '04.

I know that's a lot, but I tried to be as complete as possible. Have I got a chance w/ Western? Will my advisor-DO letter be of any help even if my physician-letter is MD? They received my secondary, and the letters should get entered next week. What do you guys think?
 
Hi guys,

I'm accepted at Western, and I was just wondering if anyone else is worried about the "If you would like to guarantee your spot right away, you can send in the deposit immediately!" phrase in the acceptance letter.

Is there any possibility of us being dropped if we wait until right before the deadline?

I wouldn't worry about that if I were you. As long as you mail in the acceptance form along with a deposit check of $1000 by the deadline then you are OK. They want you to accept the offer as early as possible to help fill the class early, that's all.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I haven't heard anything about the Helix. Are they like apartments or something? Also, do the majority of the med students live on or off campus?

Technically, there is no "on" campus housing.
The HELIX is an apartment complex that has no real affiliation to the school, except that it only rents to Western students...and is situated right next to the campus...in between the parking lots...(So yeah, it's "on" campus, de-facto.) 😉

http://www.helixpomona.com/

Most of the students live in the surrounding areas, like Chino Hills, Diamond Bar, some live in the surrounding Orange County / LA areas and commute a bit. There are a lot of options near the campus (within 15 minutes) that aren't necessarily so close. And Pomona itself isn't that great a place to live, but there are nice enough towns all around.