WESTERN/COMP Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all,

just sent in the deposit for the class of 2012! I'm pretty stoked to attend Western U.

Did anyone take ISAC (intensive summer anatomy course) the summer before starting their first year? Do you know anyone who did it? It sounds pretty intense, but anything that'll make it easier during school year sounds pretty tempting.

thanks in advance guys 👍
 
Yeah I'm also thinking about the ISAC as well since I'm not doing much else during my year off. Right now I'm just teaching myself guitar & Japanese, while tutoring on the side for some cash. I plan on doing a lot of traveling to Philippines & Asia this spring, as well as domestic travels, but can't even imagine what more I'd want to do since I'll have the summer off as well.

The way I've rationalized it, while it may be an intensive accelerated program, you won't be taking any other classes allowing you to fully immerse yourself in it.. and also what you said about easing first year a bit 👍

I'm also curious myself about opinions from students who've actually completed this program, but right now I'm leaning towards going for it, so you may see me there if you sign up too :laugh:
 
phoenix, how did you think your interview went? I have an interview there on jan 31st with very similar stats to yours. Could they really waitlisted you based on your stats? (I don't see why GPA and MCATs would matter at this point once they already gave you the interview).

I felt that my interview went very well- however there was one Indian ph.d. that kept asking me stupid questions pertaining to my low science gpa. the first 3 times were valid but he started to sound like a broken record. i felt that he dragged my interview down a little- i really liked the other two people.

being waitlisted sucks butt though- especially because i just interviewed at tourocom and they expect a 2000 deposit 2 weeks after you get your acceptance 🙁
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
so....can I call and ask if I am on the "high priority" waitlist- or can i tell them about my situation (assuming that i get accepted to tourocom, i'm feeling lucky) i really don't want to throw 2000 dollars down the hole...i wish they would accept me now instead of later [again, assuming THEY EVEN ACCEPT ME AT ALL?] If I do got here, I already spent 750 at NOVA....sigh....

hey does anyone else feel this sometimes, if this applies to you:

I feel so guilty existing sometimes, here I am complaining about money- which isn't even my money- it is my parents. I am totally spoiled with two amazingly supportive parents who said without a second glance "we will pay the 2000 to tourocom if you really want to go there, and then if you get into pomona you can go there instead" ...im evil! EEEEEVILLL! how do i sleep at night. so my point is, anyone with folks like these, we are lucky lucky bastards and i just wanted to give a shout out to all parents like this.😍
 
Just finished my first semester of med school at COMP. I also took the ISAC this summer from June 18 to Aug 3. All 17 of us passed (80 percent or higher required grade), and all 17 of us became teaching assistants for the class of 200 students.

ISAC is quite do-able. I am a non-science major (communications & psychology) and did very well. It just requires the many hours on the weekend to prepare for both lab & lecture exams on the same day.

All you need is "Netter Atlas of Anatomy," maybe "Color Atlas of Anatomy" (our dead body book), and the many class PDF handouts, and constantly talking/rehearsing/quizzing anatomy with your study group.

Pros for summer ISAC:
1. In the summer, you dissect 3 hours every day with your group of 4. No one else (like the +200 students in the fall) will bother your or mess up your cadaver.
2. Lecture is only 2 hours per day. You get to used to a "med school academic pace." By November, your doing 5 to 6 hours of lecture per day with 4 classes (MCBM, ECM, OMM, Service Learning).
3. Your are finally a real med student, but no other classes to worry about! You can really concentrate on learning the body during the summer!
4. When you are a teaching assistant in the fall, you already have your first "official grade" on your transcript. Don't have to take quizzes or exam with rest of the class. Just study other classes like OMM, ECM, prepare for Head & Neck Anatomy, etc.
5. You get paid $7.00 to be a teaching assistant. Money is NOT the reason to do this. You do get a certificate of participation (e.g., like a letter of recommendation) for ISAC teaching assistants.
6. You get to be a paid anatomy tutor for other classmates in the fall. Money is also not a reason to tutor, but tutor to get experience, review your anatomy, and meet people in your class.
7. Learn all about COMP campus before the other 200 people arrive.
8. There is no extra cost to your tuition. 39 thousand is expensive enough.

Cons for ISAC:
1. Not much of a free summer. After Aug 3, you have like 3 days free before the fall orientation starts.
2. If you don't pass, you have to take it again with the rest of the class. But its basically the only free "re-do" you'll have in med school. So make sure to pass...
3. I really can't think of bad things why not to take it. Everyone in my group did very well, the ISAC average was in the high 80's...

Message me if you have any questions...

Yeah I'm also thinking about the ISAC as well since I'm not doing much else during my year off. Right now I'm just teaching myself guitar & Japanese, while tutoring on the side for some cash. I plan on doing a lot of traveling to Philippines & Asia this spring, as well as domestic travels, but can't even imagine what more I'd want to do since I'll have the summer off as well.

The way I've rationalized it, while it may be an intensive accelerated program, you won't be taking any other classes allowing you to fully immerse yourself in it.. and also what you said about easing first year a bit 👍

I'm also curious myself about opinions from students who've actually completed this program, but right now I'm leaning towards going for it, so you may see me there if you sign up too :laugh:
 
Just finished my first semester of med school at COMP. I also took the ISAC this summer from June 18 to Aug 3. All 17 of us passed (80 percent or higher required grade), and all 17 of us became teaching assistants for the class of 200 students.

ISAC is quite do-able. I am a non-science major (communications & psychology) and did very well. It just requires the many hours on the weekend to prepare for both lab & lecture exams on the same day.

All you need is "Netter Atlas of Anatomy," maybe "Color Atlas of Anatomy" (our dead body book), and the many class PDF handouts, and constantly talking/rehearsing/quizzing anatomy with your study group.

Pros for summer ISAC:
1. In the summer, you dissect 3 hours every day with your group of 4. No one else (like the +200 students in the fall) will bother your or mess up your cadaver.
2. Lecture is only 2 hours per day. You get to used to a "med school academic pace." By November, your doing 5 to 6 hours of lecture per day with 4 classes (MCBM, ECM, OMM, Service Learning).
3. Your are finally a real med student, but no other classes to worry about! You can really concentrate on learning the body during the summer!
4. When you are a teaching assistant in the fall, you already have your first "official grade" on your transcript. Don't have to take quizzes or exam with rest of the class. Just study other classes like OMM, ECM, prepare for Head & Neck Anatomy, etc.
5. You get paid $7.00 to be a teaching assistant. Money is NOT the reason to do this. You do get a certificate of participation (e.g., like a letter of recommendation) for ISAC teaching assistants.
6. You get to be a paid anatomy tutor for other classmates in the fall. Money is also not a reason to tutor, but tutor to get experience, review your anatomy, and meet people in your class.
7. Learn all about COMP campus before the other 200 people arrive.
8. There is no extra cost to your tuition. 39 thousand is expensive enough.

Cons for ISAC:
1. Not much of a free summer. After Aug 3, you have like 3 days free before the fall orientation starts.
2. If you don't pass, you have to take it again with the rest of the class. But its basically the only free "re-do" you'll have in med school. So make sure to pass...
3. I really can't think of bad things why not to take it. Everyone in my group did very well, the ISAC average was in the high 80's...

Message me if you have any questions...

Wow, thanks for all that info because I was curious too!!! Do you know around what time it starts. I don't graduate til the end of may and I'll have to find a place to live and get situated...
 
Just finished my first semester of med school at COMP. I also took the ISAC this summer from June 18 to Aug 3. All 17 of us passed (80 percent or higher required grade), and all 17 of us became teaching assistants for the class of 200 students.

ISAC is quite do-able. I am a non-science major (communications & psychology) and did very well. It just requires the many hours on the weekend to prepare for both lab & lecture exams on the same day.

All you need is "Netter Atlas of Anatomy," maybe "Color Atlas of Anatomy" (our dead body book), and the many class PDF handouts, and constantly talking/rehearsing/quizzing anatomy with your study group.

Pros for summer ISAC:
1. In the summer, you dissect 3 hours every day with your group of 4. No one else (like the +200 students in the fall) will bother your or mess up your cadaver.
2. Lecture is only 2 hours per day. You get to used to a "med school academic pace." By November, your doing 5 to 6 hours of lecture per day with 4 classes (MCBM, ECM, OMM, Service Learning).
3. Your are finally a real med student, but no other classes to worry about! You can really concentrate on learning the body during the summer!
4. When you are a teaching assistant in the fall, you already have your first "official grade" on your transcript. Don't have to take quizzes or exam with rest of the class. Just study other classes like OMM, ECM, prepare for Head & Neck Anatomy, etc.
5. You get paid $7.00 to be a teaching assistant. Money is NOT the reason to do this. You do get a certificate of participation (e.g., like a letter of recommendation) for ISAC teaching assistants.
6. You get to be a paid anatomy tutor for other classmates in the fall. Money is also not a reason to tutor, but tutor to get experience, review your anatomy, and meet people in your class.
7. Learn all about COMP campus before the other 200 people arrive.
8. There is no extra cost to your tuition. 39 thousand is expensive enough.

Cons for ISAC:
1. Not much of a free summer. After Aug 3, you have like 3 days free before the fall orientation starts.
2. If you don't pass, you have to take it again with the rest of the class. But its basically the only free "re-do" you'll have in med school. So make sure to pass...
3. I really can't think of bad things why not to take it. Everyone in my group did very well, the ISAC average was in the high 80's...

Message me if you have any questions...

Thanks a lot for this info! I just called Dr. Kuehn and he added me to the list of those interested in the program. He said around March-April they'll be emailing those interested with more info. He said last 2 years they've had 9 and 17 participants (cap at 25)... the small group setting sounds really nice =]
 
I just got an interview invite for the 28th of Feb... I'm stoked because it is my first one! I just assumed I would not get in this year for some reason, but this gives me hope 😀


First of all, congratulations!
As I'm sure you've read, the acceptance rate is very, very high if you get an interview. (Although I believe that's the "eventual" acceptance right, ie, after everyone has made their decisions, waitlists have moved, etc.)

Good luck on your interview!
I just finished my first semester.
I'm tired, but happy.
 
Yea, I was there on the 6th. I called them and asked them what my status was because I have another acceptance that I'm debating. They would only tell me my status over the phone if I faxed them an acceptance letter from another school. So I faxed it last night and they called me this morning. 👍

The only thing is the initial deposit is due January 1st. That's coming up very soon and it sounds like people have been waiting a long time for their letters.

Good luck! I'm seriously thinking of sending my deposit here!

Hey Seattle (sorry I forgot your real name),
I just got my letter of acceptance yesterday! I was working in the ambulance and made a pitstop during my shift to check my mailbox to find this pretty little envelope sitting on top. My deposit isn't due til Feb 1st though. I wonder why yours is different.
I don't know what to do about my Jan 28th CCOM interview though. Do you think if I call they will let me interview earlier? I really liked Western when I interviewed but CCOM is closer and may have better clinical sites. hmm what to do?
 
I would call the office and tell them you will be in the area. Schools are pretty understanding of only wanting to make one trip.
 
AfemaleAries, personally, if CCOM was in Socal, I would pick it over Western for two reasons.
1) I got the impression that it has better clinical rotation sites....perhaps due to being around for 107 yrs rather than 30 some yrs?
2) Better...way better facilities.

Ultimately I picked Western over CCOM since
1) In my opinion, a DO school is a DO school.....doen't make that much of a difference where you go.
2) I'm from Socal....and prefer not to be in freezing conditions.

But, if you are from Buffalo, and are used to the weather, I'd just pick CCOM. But of course, you haven't been accepted there yet. If you have the finances, go on the interview. That's my suggestion.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey Seattle (sorry I forgot your real name),
I just got my letter of acceptance yesterday! I was working in the ambulance and made a pitstop during my shift to check my mailbox to find this pretty little envelope sitting on top. My deposit isn't due til Feb 1st though. I wonder why yours is different.
I don't know what to do about my Jan 28th CCOM interview though. Do you think if I call they will let me interview earlier? I really liked Western when I interviewed but CCOM is closer and may have better clinical sites. hmm what to do?


I received the official letter last week while I was on vacation and it did say Feb 1st. I know they said Jan 1st on the phone, but i guess they were wrong.

As for the CCOM, maybe they will let you know before the deposit is due? It looks like you have a week to play with. All in all, I hear CCOM is nice, but it is the midwest. From what I hear from my DO friends in Michigan, its hard to get out of that area if you do all your rotations out there.

I plan on sending my deposit to Western in the next couple weeks. Hope to see ya there!
 
Does Western U require official transcripts before they invite for interviews? I haven't heard anything from them until yesterday when they sent me a letter showing how to check my status online. When I checked, I saw that all my LOR's are in but they also list transcripts and I haven't sent those (since I sent them to AACOMAS). I tried calling but the admissions office is closed until the 7th. Anyway, I just wonder if I need to send those right away...
 
^^I just received the same letter.. and the same thing.. I tried contacting admissions as well.. blah!! And seriously, that letter got sent out WAY late.. I was complete over a month ago!!
 
^^I just received the same letter.. and the same thing.. I tried contacting admissions as well.. blah!! And seriously, that letter got sent out WAY late.. I was complete over a month ago!!

Yah, got the same letter too. I checked my application checklist and apparently they haven't received anything other than my supplemental app which is baffling because my advisor sent all the LORs through VirtualEvals like three or four weeks ago. 😕 The other schools have received them, so I don't understand why they haven't received the letters. Maybe they haven't checked VirtualEvals? I'm not really sure how virtualevals work, but I guess I can have my advisor send them again...hmmm. Yah, and what's with the transcripts? We need to have them sent again? I thought they get everything from aacomas. Too bad all of this happening way late and especially during the holidays when the office isn't even open. Blah!
 
Does Western U require official transcripts before they invite for interviews? I haven't heard anything from them until yesterday when they sent me a letter showing how to check my status online. When I checked, I saw that all my LOR's are in but they also list transcripts and I haven't sent those (since I sent them to AACOMAS). I tried calling but the admissions office is closed until the 7th. Anyway, I just wonder if I need to send those right away...


I don't think they require very much before the interview. I didn't find out that they want the official transcripts until I received a letter of acceptance, and they just want those before I matriculate. Also, at the time of my interview, they still had not received a few of my LORs as well. Seems like things may get hung up in the mail room there. If you fax any of that info over, it moves much faster.

Hope this helps
 
If you're not from CA and looking for another opinion for places to live, feel free to send me a private message.

I've lived in some vastly different parts of So Cal, and while some places do live up to the images perpetuated in the media, you can find some reasonably priced areas that are accessible to campus.

Congrats, I hope to enter in Fall 2010.
 
i received a rejection letter 12/12, then a letter explaining how to check my status dated 12/18. 😕and also a christmas card in between. think they just didn't check with each other before sending out? or *maybe* they made a mistake with the rejection letter??! 😉



guess i'll make some phone calls...
 
Has anyone who interviewed 12/13 heard back yet? I was told by their admissions dept. that I would have received a letter by now, but nothing yet... Anyone else have any luck?
 
i received a rejection letter 12/12, then a letter explaining how to check my status dated 12/18. 😕and also a christmas card in between. think they just didn't check with each other before sending out? or *maybe* they made a mistake with the rejection letter??! 😉



guess i'll make some phone calls...

I interviewed on Dec 20, and have to wait till mid Jan for the decision:scared:
I really don't like waiting for anything, and can't call anyone...

Halloweenie, did you interview at comp? if you did,
since the acceptance rate is so high for interviewees, did you find out why they rejected you? base on stats or performance on interview day?
 
so i called today to check whether i had to send in my transcripts prior to an interview invite (i got that same letter as everyone else!), and i asked what my app status was, since i was already on the phone with the admissions person. she started to say that a decision was made, and then paused and said i should be hearing from them in 1-2 weeks.....

should i definitely take this as a rejection then? i'm not sure if there's any other logical way to interpret that.

too bad, i was seriously interested in western, too! ugh oh well 🙁
 
so i called today to check whether i had to send in my transcripts prior to an interview invite (i got that same letter as everyone else!), and i asked what my app status was, since i was already on the phone with the admissions person. she started to say that a decision was made, and then paused and said i should be hearing from them in 1-2 weeks.....

should i definitely take this as a rejection then? i'm not sure if there's any other logical way to interpret that.

too bad, i was seriously interested in western, too! ugh oh well 🙁

They won't tell you over the phone, you can't interpret it either way. BTW, the acceptance and rejection letters both come in the same sized envelopes, so don't freak out if you get a thin envelope.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
First of all, congratulations!
As I'm sure you've read, the acceptance rate is very, very high if you get an interview. (Although I believe that's the "eventual" acceptance right, ie, after everyone has made their decisions, waitlists have moved, etc.)

Good luck on your interview!
I just finished my first semester.
I'm tired, but happy.


Thanks! Yeah, I read that it's like an 80% acceptance of interviewers? I'm somewhat torn, though. KCOM has the same acceptance rate of interviewers and I now have an interview with them (and one with LMU-DCOM, PNWU and LECOM-Bradenton). The only problem is that I would have to leave my guy for like 3 years, cuz he's stationed out here at a Marine Corps base and has 3 years left. How do you like Western, so far?
 
Does the 80% acceptance rate apply to out of state applicants as well? I'm interviewing in a month and I hope it's not too late. I had to reschedule because my other interview fell on the same day as a final. Do I go to the interview or take the final? That was a tough decision and hopefully it was the right one. I expect that most of the spots are filled by now though, and there probobly isn't room for an out of state applicant like myself. What's the housing situation like in Ponoma? I'm used to having plenty of space for all my things, four animals, and wife. I probobly won't find a place to live. Instead, perhaps I should ship myself over there in a box and then live out of that.
 
Has anyone who has sent in a deposit yet gotten their banweb ID number? I'm wondering if we have to send in both deposits to get it, or have to wait until closer to classes starting.
 
They sent mine to my Westernu email after I mailed the initial deposit. The problem with that was they never sent me the login info for the email account. I read from this thread that they create an email account for you when you send the deposit so I decided to try and log in. Sure enough it worked. My login and email address was my first initial and last name and the password is your last two digits of your birth year followed by the last four of your social.
 
How do you like Western, so far?


I'm really enjoying myself. Although, like I said before, I'm really tired. 😉

I would normally say something informative, or at least witty, here.
If you have any specific questions, feel free to send me a private message. I promise I will respond to it sometime before 2011.
 
I recently had an interview at COMP and am waiting on my physician letter to get there. My recommender said he would send it out around Dec. 22. If he sent it out then, it should have arrived already. My BanWeb application checklist says otherwise. In your experience, do they update immediately once they receive application materials, or is there lag time between them receiving materials and a consequent confirmation of their receipt on the BanWeb?

Thanks...I hope the latter is the case. 😀
 
My BanWeb application checklist says otherwise. In your experience, do they update immediately once they receive application materials, or is there lag time between them receiving materials and a consequent confirmation of their receipt on the BanWeb?

First of all, congrats on your interview! I'm still waiting to hear if I've been invited for one. And the scary thing is I just spoke with an admissions person at Western and they said my file is complete and went in for review TODAY with the adcoms. Talk about nerve-wracking! They could be looking at it as we speak!

Anyway, to answer your question, there is a huge lag time between receiving materials and posting their receipt on BanWeb. I just checked BanWeb today and they FINALLY posted my LORs even though the date on BanWeb said they received them on December 7th. That's over a month waiting to post it! Oh well, I guess they're just super busy. 🙄
Good luck! :luck:
 
Does the 80% acceptance rate apply to out of state applicants as well? I'm interviewing in a month and I hope it's not too late. I had to reschedule because my other interview fell on the same day as a final. Do I go to the interview or take the final? That was a tough decision and hopefully it was the right one. I expect that most of the spots are filled by now though, and there probobly isn't room for an out of state applicant like myself. What's the housing situation like in Ponoma? I'm used to having plenty of space for all my things, four animals, and wife. I probobly won't find a place to live. Instead, perhaps I should ship myself over there in a box and then live out of that.

b/c its a private institution i'm pretty sure there is no mandate for how many in state students compared to out of state students they accept.
 
That is great news. Hopefully, the pony express came through on this one. Thanks for your help dancerdoc.

I hope you get that interview! :hardy:
 
I'm going to be a doctor...yay! 😀 I got my acceptance in the mail today. For those still waiting, I interviewed on 12/13. Good luck everyone!
 
I'm going to be a doctor...yay! 😀 I got my acceptance in the mail today. For those still waiting, I interviewed on 12/13. Good luck everyone!

I also interviewed on 12/13 and got my acceptance this past Thursday (1/10) - but I may have gotten mine early because I called them a few times earlier in the week to check on it. Congratulations, and I'm sure I'll see you there this coming fall! Hooray for us!! :luck:
 
Did anyone interview on dec 20 and already got accepted? i thought they said they would have the decision mail out by this weekend, but i emailed diana and she said the meeting is not until next wednesday... i am patiently waiting and never call them about anything except a thank you letter...

maybe i should be more involve??

also, decision time, if i do get in... can anyone please tell me what is the differences between western and touro CA? which one will you chose? i live 30 min. away from western, but other than location, what are the pros and cons?
 
Did anyone interview on dec 20 and already got accepted? i thought they said they would have the decision mail out by this weekend, but i emailed diana and she said the meeting is not until next wednesday... i am patiently waiting and never call them about anything except a thank you letter...

maybe i should be more involve??

also, decision time, if i do get in... can anyone please tell me what is the differences between western and touro CA? which one will you chose? i live 30 min. away from western, but other than location, what are the pros and cons?

I interviewed at Western on the 20th also and have not received anything either. I recall Diana stating that they were going to mail out the letters on Friday 1/11. Trying to decide if I should email Diana this week. As for Western vs. Touro CA, I was accepted at Touro CA, but if I get into Western I will probably go to Western..mostly because of the location (my family lives in the neighboring city). However, I already sent in my down payment for Touro CA in case I don't get into Western. Best of luck next week!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Nope, still no word from Western to me either. Yeah, I also recall from the interview day that they would meet on 1-9 and send out letters sometime that week. I'm glad you got a definitive answer about when the meeting will actually occur.

I would choose Western over Touro CA based on the school being well-established with their rotations and more hospitals in socal = more opportunity to shadow a specialist prior to the clinical years. That food they gave us was really good too.

Good luck to my fellow Dec. 20 interviewees. Hope to see you in August!
 
I interviewed at Western on the 20th also and have not received anything either. I recall Diana stating that they were going to mail out the letters on Friday 1/11. Trying to decide if I should email Diana this week. As for Western vs. Touro CA, I was accepted at Touro CA, but if I get into Western I will probably go to Western..mostly because of the location (my family lives in the neighboring city). However, I already sent in my down payment for Touro CA in case I don't get into Western. Best of luck next week!


hey FightOn, i think i know who you are....😀😀
good to see you guys here, FightOn and mrd5003
ya still waiting and i don't usually call them... cuz i hate being rushed and hate rushing people...

so i guess i will check here more often for news...i have a feeling that we are all gonna get in... it already seems like we have fought through alot (interview) together, we are warriors and we'll be classmates👍😡!!!!
 
I hope they know we're warriors. I didn't put that in AACOMAS. Maybe I should have mentioned it during the interview.
 
i have a buddy who is a first year at western right now. I'm planning on staying w/ him on monday night and spending the day on Tuesday to see some OMM and whatever other courses or events are on that day. i'm sure i'll see some of you there (not the pre meds obviously), although i won't konw it! 🙂
 
Did anyone interview on dec 20 and already got accepted? i thought they said they would have the decision mail out by this weekend, but i emailed diana and she said the meeting is not until next wednesday... i am patiently waiting and never call them about anything except a thank you letter...

maybe i should be more involve??

also, decision time, if i do get in... can anyone please tell me what is the differences between western and touro CA? which one will you chose? i live 30 min. away from western, but other than location, what are the pros and cons?

I also think you should choose Western over Touro-CA. I was accepted to both, but feel Western is a bit more established, its campus is less creepy (though that's really not that big of a deal to me), rotations seem to be pretty solid, reputation of Western students is strong based on the docs' opinions that I work with now, and it's in a very-populated area with a lot of post-school opportunities - So Cal (obviously not a strong point for everyone, but it is for me). Either way, you're going to medical school somewhere, though, and that's the most important thing! Congrats!