-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
WESTERN/COMP Discussion thread 2007-2008
Started by mshheaddoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I got in!! I sent a long and very personal letter of intent and I guess it worked!! I'm going to Western. Plus I found out the same day that TOUROCOM received my $2000 Non-refundable deposit...but I called them and asked for them not to cash it- and they agreed!! (plus i called the bank and voided it...hehe) yay- i didn't throw 2000 dollars down the drain! whooh- that was a close one.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
also....I would like to live in a nice house this year- with a yard (i have two small dogs) would anyone be interested in sharing a 3-4 bedroom house? I would be living with my fiancee who is a writer, and it seems that people would be able to have their own room for 500 dollars or less...probably less. Im trying to organize a band of people. Im a girl but girl or boy house mates are cool.
also, we were thinking may covina/west covina or the west side of pomona (wherever that may be)
also, we were thinking may covina/west covina or the west side of pomona (wherever that may be)
yays congrats. now join the facebook group ahaha
I got in!! I sent a long and very personal letter of intent and I guess it worked!! I'm going to Western. Plus I found out the same day that TOUROCOM received my $2000 Non-refundable deposit...but I called them and asked for them not to cash it- and they agreed!! (plus i called the bank and voided it...hehe) yay- i didn't throw 2000 dollars down the drain! whooh- that was a close one.
Whats the facebook group under??!! I want to join!! 😀
Congratulations!! 😀
I got in!! I sent a long and very personal letter of intent and I guess it worked!! I'm going to Western. Plus I found out the same day that TOUROCOM received my $2000 Non-refundable deposit...but I called them and asked for them not to cash it- and they agreed!! (plus i called the bank and voided it...hehe) yay- i didn't throw 2000 dollars down the drain! whooh- that was a close one.
i had my visit at Western yesterday ( i mentioned in a post earlier) and it was a pretty good time. the students seemed nice and like they were enjoying themselves. I went to two classes in the morning...one was pharmacokinetics (2 hours) and the other was microbiology ( 1hour). the pharmacokinetics class was soooooooo boring but i enjoyed the micro class better. i think probably b/c of the teacher. he told a joke at the beginning that lightened the mood and he apparently tells one overy day at the beginning of class
the students had OMM in lab in the afternoon for 4 hours, i was only there for half of it. it was a really chilled back environment and the students were learning their new techniques and then when they were done they just socialized. it was pretty cool. except the fellows wouldnt let my buddy do any OMM on me b/c of insurance and what not...i was dissapointed!
congrats to all that have recently been accepted!
the students had OMM in lab in the afternoon for 4 hours, i was only there for half of it. it was a really chilled back environment and the students were learning their new techniques and then when they were done they just socialized. it was pretty cool. except the fellows wouldnt let my buddy do any OMM on me b/c of insurance and what not...i was dissapointed!
congrats to all that have recently been accepted!
About 2 months ago I received a phone call and asked my preference for interview dates. It is going to be either Feb 21st or 28th. This is before I sent in my secondary. I finally found a DO to shadow, starting tomorrow, and I wanted to talk about the experience in my secondary.
So my question is..... Is it bad that I have not finished my secondary despite that I already received an interview invite?
Thanks for the advice guys!
So my question is..... Is it bad that I have not finished my secondary despite that I already received an interview invite?
Thanks for the advice guys!
i had my visit at Western yesterday ( i mentioned in a post earlier) and it was a pretty good time. the students seemed nice and like they were enjoying themselves. I went to two classes in the morning...one was pharmacokinetics (2 hours) and the other was microbiology ( 1hour). the pharmacokinetics class was soooooooo boring but i enjoyed the micro class better. i think probably b/c of the teacher. he told a joke at the beginning that lightened the mood and he apparently tells one overy day at the beginning of class
the students had OMM in lab in the afternoon for 4 hours, i was only there for half of it. it was a really chilled back environment and the students were learning their new techniques and then when they were done they just socialized. it was pretty cool. except the fellows wouldnt let my buddy do any OMM on me b/c of insurance and what not...i was dissapointed!
congrats to all that have recently been accepted!
After 2 years, that guy will kill your soul. The guy who taught pharmacokinetics last year (Darmani) was rad though.
After 2 years, that guy will kill your soul. The guy who taught pharmacokinetics last year (Darmani) was rad though.
haha okay. i'll take your word for it. part of it was i found the material more interesting.
From HalloweenDoctor:
Yes, we finally have one! A facebook group for Western Class of 2012
In keeping with tradition, I named it COMP 2012.
Here's the link for our facebook group...
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=7316677097
If you want to join the group, first you need to join the Western network. Some of you might have already gotten this in the mail, but for those who haven't, you can access your Western e-mail account by...
1. type in mail.westernu.edu
2. username is typically first letter of your first name followed by last name
3. password is last two digits of your birthday followed by last four of your social
See you guys on facebook!!!
Yes, we finally have one! A facebook group for Western Class of 2012
In keeping with tradition, I named it COMP 2012.
Here's the link for our facebook group...
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=7316677097
If you want to join the group, first you need to join the Western network. Some of you might have already gotten this in the mail, but for those who haven't, you can access your Western e-mail account by...
1. type in mail.westernu.edu
2. username is typically first letter of your first name followed by last name
3. password is last two digits of your birthday followed by last four of your social
See you guys on facebook!!!
Whats the facebook group under??!! I want to join!! 😀
No, it's not bad that you got an interview before turning in your secondary. This happened to me and I was accepted! I believe they told me that you could bring the secondary with you on interview day, but I opted to express mail it instead.
As for the status page, you have to have an ID that they assign you in order to check your status. So even if you had the link, you can't check your status yet (I received the information after my interview).
As for the status page, you have to have an ID that they assign you in order to check your status. So even if you had the link, you can't check your status yet (I received the information after my interview).
About 2 months ago I received a phone call and asked my preference for interview dates. It is going to be either Feb 21st or 28th. This is before I sent in my secondary. I finally found a DO to shadow, starting tomorrow, and I wanted to talk about the experience in my secondary.
So my question is..... Is it bad that I have not finished my secondary despite that I already received an interview invite?
Thanks for the advice guys!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
haha okay. i'll take your word for it. part of it was i found the material more interesting.
🙂
Well it seems like you enjoyed your day here either way. Good luck!

also....I would like to live in a nice house this year- with a yard (i have two small dogs) would anyone be interested in sharing a 3-4 bedroom house? I would be living with my fiancee who is a writer, and it seems that people would be able to have their own room for 500 dollars or less...probably less. Im trying to organize a band of people. Im a girl but girl or boy house mates are cool.
also, we were thinking may covina/west covina or the west side of pomona (wherever that may be)
when did you interview phoenixxx?
i am still waiiiiiiiiiiiitttttttttttinnnnnnnnnngggg
i need to know by this weekend whether to cancel my other interviews or not...
my touro interview is on the coming tuesday, should i go?????? will i get my acceptance/rejection from western by then???? (interviewed on dec 20th)
i waaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnntttttt to KNOW!!
Will anyone else be interviewing Jan 24th?
I'm interviewing on the 24th. See you there.
when did you interview phoenixxx?
i am still waiiiiiiiiiiiitttttttttttinnnnnnnnnngggg
i need to know by this weekend whether to cancel my other interviews or not...
my touro interview is on the coming tuesday, should i go?????? will i get my acceptance/rejection from western by then???? (interviewed on dec 20th)
i waaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnntttttt to KNOW!!
Got the letter yesterday. I was just getting off work at the hospital when my fiance called me with the fabulous news. I also interviewed on December 20th. Zhousilai, I'm sure you'll get your letter any day now!
I got in!! I sent a long and very personal letter of intent and I guess it worked!! I'm going to Western. Plus I found out the same day that TOUROCOM received my $2000 Non-refundable deposit...but I called them and asked for them not to cash it- and they agreed!! (plus i called the bank and voided it...hehe) yay- i didn't throw 2000 dollars down the drain! whooh- that was a close one.
Unfortunately, Touro Ca already cashed my check. However, I have not decided on which school to attend yet. Still waiting on my fiance to hear from the allo medical schools. So it looks like I will be dropping another 2K for Western until I have made a decision.
also....I would like to live in a nice house this year- with a yard (i have two small dogs) would anyone be interested in sharing a 3-4 bedroom house? I would be living with my fiancee who is a writer, and it seems that people would be able to have their own room for 500 dollars or less...probably less. Im trying to organize a band of people. Im a girl but girl or boy house mates are cool.
also, we were thinking may covina/west covina or the west side of pomona (wherever that may be)
West Covina/Covina are my home towns (I went to Covina High School). Let me know if you need any help on deciding where to live. My parents currently live in Glendora (which is where I will be living if I go to Western), which is only 9-10 miles from the school. You should also check out the city of San Dimas.
You should also check out the city of San Dimas.
SAN DIMAS HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL RULES!!!!!!!
Thank you MDWANNABE for getting back to me. So did you decide to attend Western COMP? I have one more question I was hoping you, or anyone else could help me with. So, I received the call on Nov. 14th inviting me to interview, and she asked for my top two picks for dates. I replied the same day stating either Feb 21st or 28th would work best for me. A month passed with no word, so I sent Diana an email asking for the secondary app because I did not even receive that yet. I promptly got an email back containing the attached secondary.
So now, it is 2 months since I received the call for the interview, and I still did not hear back what date it is going to be on. I probably am just paranoid, but I am starting to stress. I plan on getting my secondary app submitted this weekend and sending Diana an email asking about the interview.
Did anyone else have a similar experience?
MDWANNABE, do you think I could get your email in case I have any other questions? I really appreciate your advice.
So now, it is 2 months since I received the call for the interview, and I still did not hear back what date it is going to be on. I probably am just paranoid, but I am starting to stress. I plan on getting my secondary app submitted this weekend and sending Diana an email asking about the interview.
Did anyone else have a similar experience?
MDWANNABE, do you think I could get your email in case I have any other questions? I really appreciate your advice.
Hey! I went to Covina High too!!! I think I know your brother...haha
Unfortunately, Touro Ca already cashed my check. However, I have not decided on which school to attend yet. Still waiting on my fiance to hear from the allo medical schools. So it looks like I will be dropping another 2K for Western until I have made a decision.
West Covina/Covina are my home towns (I went to Covina High School). Let me know if you need any help on deciding where to live. My parents currently live in Glendora (which is where I will be living if I go to Western), which is only 9-10 miles from the school. You should also check out the city of San Dimas.
Got the letter yesterday. I was just getting off work at the hospital when my fiance called me with the fabulous news. I also interviewed on December 20th. Zhousilai, I'm sure you'll get your letter any day now!
Hi everyone, I AM IN! I AM IN! I AM IN!
got my letter on tuesday but i just wasn't home to check it...
now i can go ahead and cancel my other interviews... ah
i can finally sleep with my acceptance letter😴😴😴😴
is anyone taking ISAC? i don't know if i want to spent my last summer with cadavars... so i will see you guys in august!
Thank you MDWANNABE for getting back to me. So did you decide to attend Western COMP? I have one more question I was hoping you, or anyone else could help me with. So, I received the call on Nov. 14th inviting me to interview, and she asked for my top two picks for dates. I replied the same day stating either Feb 21st or 28th would work best for me. A month passed with no word, so I sent Diana an email asking for the secondary app because I did not even receive that yet. I promptly got an email back containing the attached secondary.
So now, it is 2 months since I received the call for the interview, and I still did not hear back what date it is going to be on. I probably am just paranoid, but I am starting to stress. I plan on getting my secondary app submitted this weekend and sending Diana an email asking about the interview.
Did anyone else have a similar experience?
MDWANNABE, do you think I could get your email in case I have any other questions? I really appreciate your advice.
you should call diana or natalie, i waited a week after i sent in the day i picked... then called them, natalie told me diana is working on it and received an email 2 days later...
it's probably because your interview isn't until feb, so she is taking her time to schedule all the other ones first
Congratulations! I know how you feel...good! Also, if you're gonna sleep with your acceptance letter, you better laminate it (don't wanna get it soggy with tears of joy, you know...or drool, I suppose). See you in August!Hi everyone, I AM IN! I AM IN! I AM IN!
got my letter on tuesday but i just wasn't home to check it...
now i can go ahead and cancel my other interviews... ah
i can finally sleep with my acceptance letter😴😴😴😴
is anyone taking ISAC? i don't know if i want to spent my last summer with cadavars... so i will see you guys in august!
Got a Western interview invite for February. Any recommendations on the hotels to stay in? Not looking for something super cheap, just something nice and at a reasonable cost. Is Ontario intl the most convinient airport to get to Pomona?
Also, I am kind of concerned that people in Interview Feeback say how shady the surrounding area is. How bad is it?
Also, I am kind of concerned that people in Interview Feeback say how shady the surrounding area is. How bad is it?
Got a Western interview invite for February. Any recommendations on the hotels to stay in? Not looking for something super cheap, just something nice and at a reasonable cost. Is Ontario intl the most convinient airport to get to Pomona?
Also, I am kind of concerned that people in Interview Feeback say how shady the surrounding area is. How bad is it?
Yes, the Pomona airport is the closest. LAX is cheaper, but unless you rent a car, I wouldn't recommend taking the train to Pomona. The area that Western is in looks all right, but you must remember it's in downtown Pomona. All downtowns are not the safest of places. I didn't have a bad experience staying with a student in the student apartments across from campus, but some of the staff and faculty commented that the area is "not the safest of areas".
Got a Western interview invite for February. Any recommendations on the hotels to stay in? Not looking for something super cheap, just something nice and at a reasonable cost. Is Ontario intl the most convinient airport to get to Pomona?
Also, I am kind of concerned that people in Interview Feeback say how shady the surrounding area is. How bad is it?
I drove there on a rainy morning, i think it was ok... i didn't see anyone walking arround like other described.. i heard they have security who can walk you to anywhere arround campus if you need...


but it won't be too bad
Yes, the Pomona airport is the closest. LAX is cheaper, but unless you rent a car, I wouldn't recommend taking the train to Pomona. The area that Western is in looks all right, but you must remember it's in downtown Pomona. All downtowns are not the safest of places. I didn't have a bad experience staying with a student in the student apartments across from campus, but some of the staff and faculty commented that the area is "not the safest of areas".
I will probably fly into Ontario intl. airport since there is a direct flight there from where I currently live.
Any suggestions on the hotels?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You need to have a westernu.edu email and join the Western University of Health Sciences first.
I found the group COMP 2012 on facebook, but its closed to pub. how do i join?
You need to have a westernu.edu email and join the Western University of Health Sciences first.
oh... i won't get that until i send in my money right?
oh... i won't get that until i send in my money right?
I don't know when I got mine. Try going on mail.westernu.edu
username: usually first letter of first name follow by last name
password: last 2 numbers of year of birth and last 4 numbers of SSN
That's how I found out I have a Western email.
I don't know when I got mine. Try going on mail.westernu.edu
username: usually first letter of first name follow by last name
password: last 2 numbers of year of birth and last 4 numbers of SSN
That's how I found out I have a Western email.
Hey that works!! lol its funny cuz i have a very common first and last name
I had an interview scheduled for Feb 28th but I emailed and called a couple of weeks ago to say that if anyone canceled I would like to move it up. Mostly because I want to be in the Northwest Track. Hurrah, they emailed a couple of days ago and now it is a whole month earlier on the 31st of Jan. I am glad that I will be able to find out earlier.
It is really weird but I went to West Covina High School. 😱
It is really weird but I went to West Covina High School. 😱
I had an interview scheduled for Feb 28th but I emailed and called a couple of weeks ago to say that if anyone canceled I would like to move it up. Mostly because I want to be in the Northwest Track. Hurrah, they emailed a couple of days ago and now it is a whole month earlier on the 31st of Jan. I am glad that I will be able to find out earlier.
It is really weird but I went to Covina High School too. 😱
Really...! What year did you graduate?
Hi everyone, I AM IN! I AM IN! I AM IN!
got my letter on tuesday but i just wasn't home to check it...
now i can go ahead and cancel my other interviews... ah
i can finally sleep with my acceptance letter😴😴😴😴
is anyone taking ISAC? i don't know if i want to spent my last summer with cadavars... so i will see you guys in august!
No ISAC for me...I am getting married soon and need to continue working through the summer to pay for everything. However, if I had a choice, I wouldn't mind getting a head start!!
I'll be there on the 24th... super excited because I was complete in Oct. and want to be part of the Northwest Track!
I don't know when I got mine. Try going on mail.westernu.edu
username: usually first letter of first name follow by last name
password: last 2 numbers of year of birth and last 4 numbers of SSN
That's how I found out I have a Western email.
I didn't even know I had an email account with Western until reading your post. What is the email address....if my name is Jack Smith, is my email address: [email protected]? On the email page there is no way to find out what your email address is. I had like 25 unread emails since mid December!
Thanks.
I didn't even know I had an email account with Western until reading your post. What is the email address....if my name is Jack Smith, is my email address: [email protected]? On the email page there is no way to find out what your email address is. I had like 25 unread emails since mid December!
Thanks.
i know, it looks like they send whatever email out, i got one that says, a red car in lot 2-5 has its light on...wth???


and no welcome email at all
oh also, in you guys' acceptance letter, did you find alot of typos and mistakes?
it says on mine, "you have secured a seat for class of 2012..." then something see you in fall of 2007???? then on the second page, it says welcome to class of 2011... and they even had my name spelled wrong...
but i never really finish reading it cuz i stoped reading after the "Congradulation!" lol
where do you guys fly into? i am finding tickets to long beach cheaper than LAX, anyone used this airport instead? is it closer to western? i have an interview on the 31st. Are they being very selective lately, or do i still have a chance?
where do you guys fly into? i am finding tickets to long beach cheaper than LAX, anyone used this airport instead? is it closer to western? i have an interview on the 31st. Are they being very selective lately, or do i still have a chance?
LGB is about 5 miles closer to COMP than LAX. The drive from LGB will take 45mins -> 1hr. The drive from LAX may take more just because of the heavily trafficked freeways that you would be taking.
The obvious answer is to just fly into ONT in which case the drive would only be like 5 miles.
I would but its about $110 more expensive than Long Beach. how much would a taxi cost from long beach to Pomona area?
LGB is about 5 miles closer to COMP than LAX. The drive from LGB will take 45mins -> 1hr. The drive from LAX may take more just because of the heavily trafficked freeways that you would be taking.
The obvious answer is to just fly into ONT in which case the drive would only be like 5 miles.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would but its about $110 more expensive than Long Beach. how much would a taxi cost from long beach to Pomona area?
try flying into Santa Ana/orange county.
cab to pomona from lbc would be pretty pricey, it's like at least 45 minutes
try flying into Santa Ana/orange county.
cab to pomona from lbc would be pretty pricey, it's like at least 45 minutes
im thinking of renting a car when i get to lgb. does the school have easy parking...?
does anyone know the stats for redencies matching? whats the percentage of people getting into allopathic residencies? thanks
Last year's match list: http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pKQqFvE2Rwo--gt4j71J1cw&hl=en&pli=1
I assume you can crunch the numbers on your own.
im thinking of renting a car when i get to lgb. does the school have easy parking...?
For the most part, yes (it really depends on the day). When you interview, you will be given a pass so you don't have to pay for anything. They allow interviewees to park in faculty/staff lots, so there should be spots available. None of the parking lots are more than like 400 feet from campus, so its no biggie.
Last year's match list: http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pKQqFvE2Rwo--gt4j71J1cw&hl=en&pli=1
I assume you can crunch the numbers on your own.
wow alot of UCs and USCs! love it
thank you so much
Similar threads
- Replies
- 15
- Views
- 2K
- Replies
- 18
- Views
- 5K
- Replies
- 111
- Views
- 20K
- Sticky
- Replies
- 8
- Views
- 22K