-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
WESTERN/COMP Discussion thread 2007-2008
Started by mshheaddoc
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
interviewing on FEBRUARY 28th!!! Anyone as well?
Yes I know mine's a bit late, but it's the earliest I could do while not skipping any of my bio labs and such. Wish good luck! btw I hated touro and I would never go there.
why did you hate touro?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
interviewing on FEBRUARY 28th!!! Anyone as well?
Yes I know mine's a bit late, but it's the earliest I could do while not skipping any of my bio labs and such. Wish good luck! btw I hated touro and I would never go there.
i declined touro-mi but went on the intervew at tourocom ny and got accepted. which touro you talking about? im guess MI!?
I know this has been answered before, but Western is systems based right? And they're not planning on changing it anytime soon are they? Thanks.
It's a semi-integrated systems based curriculum. You spend the first 12 weeks doing gross and h/n anatomy. You then spend the next... few months in MCBM and IDIT building a foundation regarding the basics of biochem, genetics, physiology, histology, embryology, pathology, immunology, pharm, and micro.
After completing those cores, then you begin systems, where you go back and revisit all of those basic core subjects as well as clinical med in regards to each system: Blood/Lymphatics, Neurosci, Behavioral/Psych, MSK, Cardio, Renal, Pulm, Endocrine, Repro, GI, Derm, Peds/Ger. There are other courses strewn into the mix throughout the first two years, but this is the basic layout of the curriculum so far.
Currently, like I said it's semi-integrated. There may be some changes coming up for you guys (hopefully) that will be beneficial and will serve to further integrate clinical didactics into the curriculum.
I don't foresee any other types of changes really.
ellinopedo182 I meant touro-ca. The place is VERY dilapidated, poor area, hard to find, poor facilities, lack of close rotations, lack of proper gym, no cafeteria (where they serve you food), unenthusiastic students (at least the ones I talked to), poor organization, over worked staff (leads to poor education) more expensive that average (due to the bay area), terrible library, etc. I'm sorry if I offend anyone, but this is my honest belief and that people should hear truth without being covered up in euphemisms.
ellinopedo182 I meant touro-ca. The place is VERY dilapidated, poor area, hard to find, poor facilities, lack of close rotations, lack of proper gym, no cafeteria (where they serve you food), unenthusiastic students (at least the ones I talked to), poor organization, over worked staff (leads to poor education) more expensive that average (due to the bay area), terrible library, etc. I'm sorry if I offend anyone, but this is my honest belief and that people should hear truth without being covered up in euphemisms.
personally, i'm looking forward to seeing western. I've been disappointed by ALL of the west coast DO campuses, as they're all under 30 years old. None are real campuses, and western is a converted strip mall. So don't know how differen't it could look like. we'll see i guess/
personally, i'm looking forward to seeing western. I've been disappointed by ALL of the west coast DO campuses, as they're all under 30 years old. None are real campuses, and western is a converted strip mall. So don't know how differen't it could look like. we'll see i guess/
Hey! Whoa there! What are you calling coastal? If you're counting Phoenix or Henderson as "west coast," then you'll need to call Kentucky, Tennessee and maybe Ohio "east coast." I thought not!
ALL
of the west coast DO campuses means 3 campuses, and most of us in Seattle/Portland/SFO/LA/SD would really prefer to disallow Yakima and Pomona. They are eastern towns.But if Yakima petitions for "west coast" status then there's ONE west coast DO campus (meaning: building) that was built (meaning: could well end up being built) to be a DO school and nothing else. Not a strip mall, not a beauty school, not a naval base. Just a DO school. Maybe pharm one day. And if you want to mock PNWU (formerly PNUHS) for only being 5 minutes old, you're misprioritizing, because there are so many mocking opportunities you'd be missing.
And for the record, pretty much everything west of the Mississippi was a mud hut prior to World War II. Or at least prior to the Civil War. (All those Spanish Conquest era missions? Guess what adobe is.) Anything that's 100 years old out here is a historical landmark with a brass plaque on it...
Can someone post the list of the suggested hotels for Western? I cant seem to get the confirmation e-mail from them but need to have everything reserved ASAP.
hey when are you interviewing? i am interviewing on the 31st and trying to get a hotel too asap. i am thinking of ontario since i am going to get a car rental.
Well I used to go to pomona about every week during high school for orchestras and such. Although the area is kind of shoddy, it's no where like touro's area. I just hate that level of exclusion. Hmm also western is, as of what I seen in rankings, at the top or very near it.
anyone have a interview Feb 7th??? Also dont know if i'm putting the cart before the horse but does anyone know more about the ISAC program? I'm thinking if i was able to get in I'd go vacation before the summer and take that to get a head start.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
does anyone know how many slots are left for Western? and do they usually do a ton of interviews till the end? I really hate the fact that I took a mid feb interview...as it seems really late, I was talking to a friend who said that his school is already full, everyone that is interviewing now is interviewing for a waitlist spot.
For people who interviewed the last couple of weeks... the adcom meets today right? (Wed 1/30)
I'll be there on the 24th... super excited because I was complete in Oct. and want to be part of the Northwest Track!
Go NW Track!! I'm from the Pacific Northwest also, and I can't wait to get back.....
i interviewed in late december and half of the spots were taken
so if the total of spot is arround 200, they usually accept 400 people
i would say five of your interview group in feb will get in。。。 from what i heard last year
so if the total of spot is arround 200, they usually accept 400 people
i would say five of your interview group in feb will get in。。。 from what i heard last year
i interviewed in late december and half of the spots were taken
so if the total of spot is arround 200, they usually accept 400 people
i would say five of your interview group in feb will get in。。。 from what i heard last year
I just had my interview a week ago and we weren't told anything about how many spots were taken, etc. And I would be interested to know who gave you that info. All I know is that none of us were interviewing for a waitlist spot, and we could all be accepted.
I called and found out that my application was hanging out at someones' desk waiting to be forwarded b/c they incorrectly thought that it wasn't complete...oh well, at least now the ad committee will get it. BTW, would you mind telling me your stats? I have a decent GPA (3.64 science; 3.69 undergrad) but lousy mcat (26M), so i was just wondering what my chances are...
I called and found out that my application was hanging out at someones' desk waiting to be forwarded b/c they incorrectly thought that it wasn't complete...oh well, at least now the ad committee will get it. BTW, would you mind telling me your stats? I have a decent GPA (3.64 science; 3.69 undergrad) but lousy mcat (26M), so i was just wondering what my chances are...
mine is 3.51 and 3.72 undergrad GPA and a 24Q for mcat and i interviewed yesterday at western comp. Im still actually lurking around the area till i leave tomorrow. I checked out fullerton area yesterday and tonight huntington beach. I am loving the weather here!
I called and found out that my application was hanging out at someones' desk waiting to be forwarded b/c they incorrectly thought that it wasn't complete...oh well, at least now the ad committee will get it. BTW, would you mind telling me your stats? I have a decent GPA (3.64 science; 3.69 undergrad) but lousy mcat (26M), so i was just wondering what my chances are...
I think your GPA is above avg for all DO schools while your MCAT is right in the avg for Western. Given that you don't bomb the interview, I think you have a great chance, in my opinion.
I interviewed yesterday and now will just have to hold my breath for the next two weeks - I am really hoping to get a NW Track spot but I was really impressed with the school. When I had heard "strip mall" it made a weird picture in my mind but it looked great and has been remodeled in a nice way.
The weather was great and after a minor administrative glitch had a great interview. Crossing my fingers!
The weather was great and after a minor administrative glitch had a great interview. Crossing my fingers!
Good luck, Archer!
I interviewed yesterday and now will just have to hold my breath for the next two weeks - I am really hoping to get a NW Track spot but I was really impressed with the school. When I had heard "strip mall" it made a weird picture in my mind but it looked great and has been remodeled in a nice way.
The weather was great and after a minor administrative glitch had a great interview. Crossing my fingers!
Good Luck. I just interviewed a few weeks ago and received my acceptance letter this week. The dean said that very few people are rejected after interview and as of the beginning of January the class was only half full. Plus I think they only interview til march so your outlook is good.
As of right now, I'm going to Western next year.
How fast of a turn around time do they have after interview, to let you know what your status is? Do they e-mail (or can you call) to find out? The reason I ask is because I have to make a deposit to hold a seat in a class at another school on Feb 17th, and my COMP interview is on the 7th. If I am able to get into Western before then, I'll make the deposit at Western, but that would only give them 10 days to get back to me. Is this unrealistic?
Also, how much are the deposits for COMP, and how many? I've heard 1 for $1000 and another $1000 a month later. Is this accurate?
Also, how much are the deposits for COMP, and how many? I've heard 1 for $1000 and another $1000 a month later. Is this accurate?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How fast of a turn around time do they have after interview, to let you know what your status is? Do they e-mail (or can you call) to find out? The reason I ask is because I have to make a deposit to hold a seat in a class at another school on Feb 17th, and my COMP interview is on the 7th. If I am able to get into Western before then, I'll make the deposit at Western, but that would only give them 10 days to get back to me. Is this unrealistic?
Also, how much are the deposits for COMP, and how many? I've heard 1 for $1000 and another $1000 a month later. Is this accurate?
i think its $1000 by march 1st and $1000 by april 1st if i remember correctly at orientation/interviews.
How fast of a turn around time do they have after interview, to let you know what your status is? Do they e-mail (or can you call) to find out? The reason I ask is because I have to make a deposit to hold a seat in a class at another school on Feb 17th, and my COMP interview is on the 7th. If I am able to get into Western before then, I'll make the deposit at Western, but that would only give them 10 days to get back to me. Is this unrealistic?
Also, how much are the deposits for COMP, and how many? I've heard 1 for $1000 and another $1000 a month later. Is this accurate?
Well you're cutting it a bit close. I think the turn around time is 2-3 weeks. I would let them know that you have to submit a deposit to a different school by the 17th but you'd rather go to COMP. I was talking to the dean and he was really understanding in those circumstances. Plus I think I read on here that you can fax them the letter from the other school and they'll inform you of your status on the phone. Either way the acceptance rate if granted an interview is really high. If you have a decent app and your interview goes ok, you are more likely than not, ok. Good luck though 🙂
Hi I'm from Alaska and thinking about Western.
Does the Northwest track ensure that you'll return to your home state for the last two years, or is it just the northwest?
thanks
Does the Northwest track ensure that you'll return to your home state for the last two years, or is it just the northwest?
thanks
Thanks psych!
Hi I'm from Alaska and thinking about Western.
Does the Northwest track ensure that you'll return to your home state for the last two years, or is it just the northwest?
thanks
NWT allows you to do rotations in Washington or Oregon. There are some sites in Seattle, some in Portland, and some in rural areas of both states. AFAIK, there are no sites in alaska, idaho, montana, wyoming, etc...
Any of you guys/gals interviewing on Feb. 21st?
Also, I am buffing up my secondary application as we speak. Do you think I would be better suited to send it in now, make sure its perfecto and get it submitted in a week or so, or does it not really matter either way at this point?
Also, anyone know if there is a cafeteria or gym on campus?
Lastly, are there any current students that would be willing to show me around if I want to check out the campus/admissions early in the month of February?
Also, I am buffing up my secondary application as we speak. Do you think I would be better suited to send it in now, make sure its perfecto and get it submitted in a week or so, or does it not really matter either way at this point?
Also, anyone know if there is a cafeteria or gym on campus?
Lastly, are there any current students that would be willing to show me around if I want to check out the campus/admissions early in the month of February?
Also, anyone know if there is a cafeteria or gym on campus?
No, and no. There are some vending machines on campus, and a few places to get food within walking distance.
You should be able to find someone on campus to show you around when you're there. I'd offer, but I'm hardly ever there.
Good luck!
NWT allows you to do rotations in Washington or Oregon. There are some sites in Seattle, some in Portland, and some in rural areas of both states. AFAIK, there are no sites in alaska, idaho, montana, wyoming, etc...
Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is only one site in WA and it's in Federal Way/Tacoma (about 30-40 min south of Seattle) in the NWT track. The rest are in Oregon.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but there is only one site in WA and it's in Federal Way/Tacoma (about 30-40 min south of Seattle) in the NWT track. The rest are in Oregon.
I have to profess my ignorance in regards to NW geography, and to what I remembered from looking at the list. I can tell you that this year, the track list for the NWT lottery included only: medford, roseburg, corvallis, portland, and tacoma/centralia. Those are broken down further to specific preceptors and sites.
For tacoma/centralia it lists franciscan health system, spanaway medical clinic, fairfax hospital, chehalis children's clinic, and some individual preceptors.
For portland it lists good samaritan, providence milwaukie, cascadia behavioral healthcare, roberts street clinic, and a bunch of individual precetpors.
Lastly, for medford it lists medford medical clinic, providence medford, rogue valley medical center, and more individual precetpors.
Hope that clears up some things for everyone.
For those of you that are thinking about staying at a hotel, DON'T. I am a first year and I stayed at a hotel when I interviewed last year because I did not know that you could stay with a student. If they don't tell you that upfront then just ask. There are a bunch of us that have signed up to host students and the list is available to you. It is well worth it to stay. We will pick you up at the airport, let you stay with us, take you to the school and show you around and then take you back to the airport. If you are worried that we will quiz you or report back about you we don't. They don't even know we have you. They give you the list and then you pick! Trust me, it is worth saving all the money you can for starbucks once you get in.
I am not on here much but if anyone has any question please send me a message. I remember what it was like for me last year. And for all of you who are stressing...I interviewed the end of March, was waitlisted and then accepted the end of June. You all still have plenty of time!!!
Good luck!
I am not on here much but if anyone has any question please send me a message. I remember what it was like for me last year. And for all of you who are stressing...I interviewed the end of March, was waitlisted and then accepted the end of June. You all still have plenty of time!!!
Good luck!
Any of you guys/gals interviewing on Feb. 21st?
Also, I am buffing up my secondary application as we speak. Do you think I would be better suited to send it in now, make sure its perfecto and get it submitted in a week or so, or does it not really matter either way at this point?
Also, anyone know if there is a cafeteria or gym on campus?
Lastly, are there any current students that would be willing to show me around if I want to check out the campus/admissions early in the month of February?
No cafeteria or gym. But COMP students get free access to YMCA which is 2 blocks away. Also they have a $100 credit towards a $129/year subsription to a chain gym. I think this is a pretty good alternative.
No cafeteria or gym. But COMP students get free access to YMCA which is 2 blocks away. Also they have a $100 credit towards a $129/year subsription to a chain gym. I think this is a pretty good alternative.
They have a subway pretty much on campus, and another restaurant within quick walking distance. There is also a private owned apartment building across from campus for students and faculty. address is helixpomona.com
couple questions... Do you get a confirmation e-mail that your file is complete? Is acceptance letter think or thick? how about waitlist?
i think i got a confirmation that i was complete by email. as far as acceptance letter or waitlist, etc. you would have to wait a week and i can tell you then. lol.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i think i got a confirmation that i was complete by email. as far as acceptance letter or waitlist, etc. you would have to wait a week and i can tell you then. lol.
i think we will get notifications at the same time, lol./
Hmm, I had my interview on Jan 31st and have not received any confirmation email saying that my application was complete...
When checking the online application checklist, it has received dates for my supplementary app and all my letters of recs. Under "College Transcripts" it lists the name of my undergrad institution but doesn't have a date listed next to it. Am I suppose to have fowarded my official transcript to them directly in order to be complete? I always thought that they wouldn't require a forwarded transcript until after being accepted.
When checking the online application checklist, it has received dates for my supplementary app and all my letters of recs. Under "College Transcripts" it lists the name of my undergrad institution but doesn't have a date listed next to it. Am I suppose to have fowarded my official transcript to them directly in order to be complete? I always thought that they wouldn't require a forwarded transcript until after being accepted.
Hmm, I had my interview on Jan 31st and have not received any confirmation email saying that my application was complete...
When checking the online application checklist, it has received dates for my supplementary app and all my letters of recs. Under "College Transcripts" it lists the name of my undergrad institution but doesn't have a date listed next to it. Am I suppose to have fowarded my official transcript to them directly in order to be complete? I always thought that they wouldn't require a forwarded transcript until after being accepted.
Hey, you do not need to send in an official transcript until you are accepted. And, yes, they do send out a complete notification, i know i got mine about 3-4 weeks after sending in my secondary. Here is the notification i got from natalie...
October 5, 2007
Peter,
Your file is now complete and ready for review. Please allow the Admissions Committee up to 3 4 weeks to reach a decision regarding your file. If you have any questions or concerns in the mean time, please do not hesitate to contact me. Good luck!
Thank you,
Does anyone else interview on February the 14th? Will there be a time before the interview when we can speak with the current medical students?
Does anyone else interview on February the 14th? Will there be a time before the interview when we can speak with the current medical students?
There is time after your lunch and before your interviews (all are afternoon) to talk with current students. Both MSI and MSII will come up to you and start a conversation! If you want some early advice show up around 8am and go to the upstairs seats in HPC...don't worry we will recognize you in your spiffy suit!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 15
- Views
- 2K
- Replies
- 18
- Views
- 5K
- Replies
- 111
- Views
- 20K
- Sticky
- Replies
- 8
- Views
- 22K