You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Western/COMP Discussion Thread 2009-2010
Started by danimjo
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I was wondering if any current Western students/applicants could offer any advice. My younger brother really wants to go to Western for medical school (despite my doing my best to tell him what med school is really like) starting this year, 2010, but has not yet applied. He has good stats (3.7 overall, 3.8 science and a 35 MCAT) and is a kinesiology major at CSU-Chico. I saw the deadline for Western as April 3, 2010 on AACOM, but is this realistic? Do they accept people who apply this late? He hasn't even finished his primary yet (he's brilliant but a terrible procrastinator). Is there still a reasonable chance of an acceptance at this point? Thanks!
So I was wondering if any current Western students/applicants could offer any advice. My younger brother really wants to go to Western for medical school (despite my doing my best to tell him what med school is really like) starting this year, 2010, but has not yet applied. He has good stats (3.7 overall, 3.8 science and a 35 MCAT) and is a kinesiology major at CSU-Chico. I saw the deadline for Western as April 3, 2010 on AACOM, but is this realistic? Do they accept people who apply this late? He hasn't even finished his primary yet (he's brilliant but a terrible procrastinator). Is there still a reasonable chance of an acceptance at this point? Thanks!
If that's the only school he's applying to, it's not a lot of money, and he'll be prepared for the next cycle if he doesn't get in. But really, the next cycle is only half a year away. If he's the procrastinator you say he is, starting right now for next year's cycle sounds about right.
So I was wondering if any current Western students/applicants could offer any advice. My younger brother really wants to go to Western for medical school (despite my doing my best to tell him what med school is really like) starting this year, 2010, but has not yet applied. He has good stats (3.7 overall, 3.8 science and a 35 MCAT) and is a kinesiology major at CSU-Chico. I saw the deadline for Western as April 3, 2010 on AACOM, but is this realistic? Do they accept people who apply this late? He hasn't even finished his primary yet (he's brilliant but a terrible procrastinator). Is there still a reasonable chance of an acceptance at this point? Thanks!
Will they accept people that late? Sure. Will there be any spots left forcing his acceptance (if he is accepted) to be deferred until next year? More than likely. Last cycle I was verified in December and completed my secondary the beginning of February and was invited for an interview the beginning of April. I was number 2 on the deferred waitlist for that cycle. Probably his best bet will be to just wait until next cycle and apply early and broadly. Even with those stats, the application game can still be a crap shoot.
If that's the only school he's applying to, it's not a lot of money, and he'll be prepared for the next cycle if he doesn't get in. But really, the next cycle is only half a year away. If he's the procrastinator you say he is, starting right now for next year's cycle sounds about right.
I think he's also planning to apply to the other West Coast osteopathic schools. But I agree it's worth a shot. The cost structure of the ACCOMAS app seems much more reasonable than the way AMCAS does it.
Will they accept people that late? Sure. Will there be any spots left forcing his acceptance (if he is accepted) to be deferred until next year? More than likely. Last cycle I was verified in December and completed my secondary the beginning of February and was invited for an interview the beginning of April. I was number 2 on the deferred waitlist for that cycle. Probably his best bet will be to just wait until next cycle and apply early and broadly. Even with those stats, the application game can still be a crap shoot.
Hmm, sort of an...interesting type of waitlist. Sorry to hear you had to wait an extra year. Good info though! How do you like Western so far?
Oh, I didn't have to wait an extra year, however it took a long time last year for the list to move. A lot of schools end up with 2 wait lists (I know KCOM and Nova both do this) with one list being people who have a guaranteed admission for the following year if they don't get pulled off and a normal wait list. Western so far is great, especially the new buildings.
Can someone remind me when the second $1k deposit is due? Feb 1st?
I like how, despite the awesome new construction, they still haven't replaced that ****ty sign
Can someone remind me when the second $1k deposit is due? Feb 1st?
Yes, Feb 1.
I like how, despite the awesome new construction, they still haven't replaced that ****ty sign
Yeah, that sign does look pretty tacky...
So I sent in all my stuff end of December, I contacted them Jan 4 to ask about my status, and they told me they had everything except my letters. I called my undergrad school, and they said that Western has already downloaded them. So I e-mailed them back telling them this, and I haven't heard anything since then.
Point being, should I e-mail them again to ask if I am complete yet?
Point being, should I e-mail them again to ask if I am complete yet?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I would go ahead and politely e-mail them again... just add in there (if its true) that you are very interested in Western and you want to make sure they have everything for your application in a timely manner, so there isn't a delay in processing your application.
Anyone know the instructions for sending in that second deposit? Are there any forms to send with the check/money order? Can someone that's done it already tell us how they went about it please? 🙂
I was wondering the same thing. Do we just put a check for a $1000 in an envelope and mail it to the admissions office? I guess they should know what it's for...
Anyone know the instructions for sending in that second deposit? Are there any forms to send with the check/money order? Can someone that's done it already tell us how they went about it please? 🙂
I was wondering the same thing. Do we just put a check for a $1000 in an envelope and mail it to the admissions office? I guess they should know what it's for...
I would send a check to the admissions office with your AACOMAS ID and "2nd deposit" in the note.
I paid via credit card over the phone though and it was a lot easier.
I was wondering the same thing. Do we just put a check for a $1000 in an envelope and mail it to the admissions office? I guess they should know what it's for...
I'm pretty sure they're sending us instructions on this through our Western email account. Problem is, they have yet to send me the info on setting up my Western email account. If I haven't gotten that by the end of the week, I'm going to start poking them about that...
I'm pretty sure they're sending us instructions on this through our Western email account. Problem is, they have yet to send me the info on setting up my Western email account. If I haven't gotten that by the end of the week, I'm going to start poking them about that...
I have my Western email set up.... havn't recieved any emails though.
Anyone know the instructions for sending in that second deposit? Are there any forms to send with the check/money order? Can someone that's done it already tell us how they went about it please? 🙂
I just put a check in an envelope addressed to the admissions office and they sent me an e-mail letting me know they got it
I am withdrawing my acceptance as well. Good luck to everyone. 🙂
I just got my Interview invite to Western! I am very excited! If anyone has any suggestions on what I should read/study/look over/whatever please let me know, every bit helps! Thanks and congrats to all of you who got accepted already. Thanks.
Just know yourself, your motivation for medicine (specifically osteopathic medicine), your application, why Western, and a bit about the current state of healthcare. Pretty typical. Good luck!
Has anyone from the Jan. 7 interview heard anything yet??
I'm applying next cycle, but I have a few questions about Western that I hope you all will know the answers to.
Is the daily schedule typically 8-12 class, 12-1 lunch, labs 1-3 or 3-5 depending on your group, or 1-5 lab?
What is the test schedule like? 1 week of tests every 6wks or 1/2 test per week?
As a M1 what type of early patient contact do we have, as part of a class or only if we volunteer for it?
What is Western's OMM philosophy, through reading many threads on SDN I know some schools are OMM lite and some really emphasize it, how's Western? *I want to learn OMM, I've observed it, I just want to know how Western views it.
Thank you and congrats to everyone who is accepted!
Is the daily schedule typically 8-12 class, 12-1 lunch, labs 1-3 or 3-5 depending on your group, or 1-5 lab?
What is the test schedule like? 1 week of tests every 6wks or 1/2 test per week?
As a M1 what type of early patient contact do we have, as part of a class or only if we volunteer for it?
What is Western's OMM philosophy, through reading many threads on SDN I know some schools are OMM lite and some really emphasize it, how's Western? *I want to learn OMM, I've observed it, I just want to know how Western views it.
Thank you and congrats to everyone who is accepted!
The current schedule is "core" (my term... anatomy, "Introduction to the Molecular and Cellular Basis of Medicine," "Introduction to Disease, Immunity, and Therapeutics," and the systems) in the morning, usually 9-12 every day of the wek. Lunch from 12-1. Other courses (i.e. Essentials of Clinical Medicine and Osteopathic Principals and Practices (OMT course)) from 1-5 in the after noon. The afternoon courses are 1 day a week. For example, OPP is 1-5 on Tuesdays, Interprofessional Education (PBLs with members of the other schools) 3-5pm on Wednesdays, and ECM 1-5 on Thursdays, For labs, gross anatomy and head and neck anatomy cadaver labs were in the morning before lecture. In ECM, the class is divided into an A group and B group with one group attending lectures one week and seeing standardized patients the second week. There is some variability in start and end times though.
Tests in the "core" courses is generally every 2 weeks. The afternoon classes have exams when they schedule exams. So you may have 2 exams in one week.
For patient contact as an OMS 1, there's volunteering (homeless clinic, Monclare Clinic, health fairs) and standardized patients (actors) in ECM.
Tests in the "core" courses is generally every 2 weeks. The afternoon classes have exams when they schedule exams. So you may have 2 exams in one week.
For patient contact as an OMS 1, there's volunteering (homeless clinic, Monclare Clinic, health fairs) and standardized patients (actors) in ECM.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks Siggy. I hope to get the chance to interview at Western next cycle.
Has anyone from the Jan. 7 interview heard anything yet??
Nothing in the mail yesterday. I'm guessing today or tomorrow.
TKEWVU,
Based off the info we received during interview day, DO Class of 2013 stats were: 3898 total apps, 593 interviews. I believe there are just over 200 students in that class. Best of luck!
On another note, if any current students are reading this, does it pay to purchase a tablet pc over a laptop. I was wondering how owning a tablet would interface if at all with Apresso? Any advice or recommendations would be helpful 🙂
Best of luck to everyone interviewing!
Based off the info we received during interview day, DO Class of 2013 stats were: 3898 total apps, 593 interviews. I believe there are just over 200 students in that class. Best of luck!
On another note, if any current students are reading this, does it pay to purchase a tablet pc over a laptop. I was wondering how owning a tablet would interface if at all with Apresso? Any advice or recommendations would be helpful 🙂
Best of luck to everyone interviewing!
I was invited for an interview on February 6th. Does anyone know any basic statistics on percent accepted that are interviewed?
can i ask when you got the interview invite?
Does anyone have any idea how full the class of 2014 is now? I'm just wondering if anyone heard any news during their interviews this month,,,
interviewed 01/14..they said 2/3-3/4 filled
krapitsjulia,
I received a phone call yesterday for the interview invite.
When were you complete?
And for those that have gotten accepted, mind sharing your stats?
When were you complete?
And for those that have gotten accepted, mind sharing your stats?
3.9 overall
3.8 sci
9 10 11, O
3.95 sGPAWhen were you complete?
And for those that have gotten accepted, mind sharing your stats?
3.70 cGPA
10
10
11
do they get back to you within 2 weeks after the interview as they promise?
They said 5-15 business days.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is there anyone currently attending western from washington that received a discounted tuition? They mentioned something during the interview day about the western states exchange deals or something like that but I can't find any info. I also recall they said it could be up to a 50% discount. Any info would be great!
Hey everyone,
For those that interviewed at Western what did the interview day look like? I am trying to finalize accommodation and was wondering at what time does the day end? Also what is the best way to get from LAX to Pomona?
Thanks
For those that interviewed at Western what did the interview day look like? I am trying to finalize accommodation and was wondering at what time does the day end? Also what is the best way to get from LAX to Pomona?
Thanks
Hey everyone,
For those that interviewed at Western what did the interview day look like? I am trying to finalize accommodation and was wondering at what time does the day end? Also what is the best way to get from LAX to Pomona?
Thanks
I flew in to ontario - I think its shorter and not as bad traffic compared to LAX..
I flew in to ontario - I think its shorter and not as bad traffic compared to LAX..
Absolutely worth the extra money to fly into ONT versus LAX.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 21K
- Replies
- 471
- Views
- 145K
- Replies
- 116
- Views
- 31K
- Replies
- 712
- Views
- 236K