Western/COMP Discussion Thread 2010-2011

Started by Siggy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know what the mailing address is for the Oregon campus to send out LORs?

Thanks!

If you look at the Webcam the building is in the process of being built so I would assume like the previous poster that you send them to the Pomona campus.
I heard that interviews for the Lebanon would be held there, but they said the building wouldn't be completed until June 2011. Do any of you know if the interviews will still be held at Lebanon, even if the building isn't completely finished?
 
I.e., Research?
Before: Nope
After: Although I have not done any formal research, I have completed an undergraduate student research project in cell physiology.

Without knowing the exact wording used in the question, how is being involved in an undergraduate student research project not research?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Without knowing the exact wording used in the question, how is being involved in an undergraduate student research project not research?

From my experience these 'class' projects don't count as research, even though I had to do a formal proposal and it was worth half our grade... It was the effects of 'homeopathic' remedies against cancer cells.
 
Anyone going to Western's preview day on the 28th? I figure if nothing else its an opportunity to show I'm interested plus get some more exposure to the DO program. Plus I've got some friends that are going to be 1st years up there so I can go say hi 🙂 Day after my LECOM interview so I'll be flying back into LA, staying at a buddy's place and driving to Pomona on Saturday morning.
 
Anyone going to Western's preview day on the 28th? I figure if nothing else its an opportunity to show I'm interested plus get some more exposure to the DO program. Plus I've got some friends that are going to be 1st years up there so I can go say hi 🙂 Day after my LECOM interview so I'll be flying back into LA, staying at a buddy's place and driving to Pomona on Saturday morning.

🙁 The registration is closed!
 
Ya I registered a while back. Was just wondering if anyone else chose to attend.

🙁 I would love to go but the registration is closed..Sigh, so I emailed and asked them if I can still go without registering..Hopefully they will email me back 🙂 I will bring my stepdad with me (Don't judge, lol) if they allow me to go there 😛
 
🙁 I would love to go but the registration is closed..Sigh, so I emailed and asked them if I can still go without registering..Hopefully they will email me back 🙂 I will bring my stepdad with me (Don't judge, lol) if they allow me to go there 😛


Can you let me know, too. I wouldn't mind checking it out either.
 
Anyone going to Western's preview day on the 28th? I figure if nothing else its an opportunity to show I'm interested plus get some more exposure to the DO program. Plus I've got some friends that are going to be 1st years up there so I can go say hi 🙂 Day after my LECOM interview so I'll be flying back into LA, staying at a buddy's place and driving to Pomona on Saturday morning.

You are interviewing at LECOM on the 27th? Which campus?
 
i checked my secondary app status online, and it says complete, wonder how long will take them to review the file..anyone else in my boat?

the funny thing is, i sent in one set of recommendation letters and apparently they can be used for both pomona and oregon secondary applications, if you applied to both. that definitely saves me some hassels..

anyone submitted their oregon secondary? still havn't received the invite to do so, but been directed to do so when i called the admissions office..kinda confused
 
Can you let me know, too. I wouldn't mind checking it out either.

megathunder, Western emailed me back today. 🙁

.Hi XXXX,.
. .
.Our available registration spots for Preview Day booked up really fast for the August 28th event, so unfortunately we had to close the registration and are unable to accommodate any additional reservations at this time..
. .
.If you let me know which program you are interested in learning more about, I can put you in touch with a University Recruiter who can send you some more information on your program of choice, as well as information on any upcoming Preview Days, Campus Tours, and/or Information Sessions..
. .
.Thank you.

..
.
.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I called them today, I had questions about sending in the checks and signature page, and LORs because my Pomona checklist was updated but my Lebanon checklist was not.
They said they have them both and it just takes time to process them. Also she said don't wait for an invite for the Lebanon campus. Also you only need to send one batch of LORs. If you use VeCollect Lebanon doesn't even come up as a school option, so sending them once to Pomona will count for both schools.
 
How do you guys think it would look if I used almost the same essays as last year? I applied very late last cycle to the point that by the time my application was complete, there was only one interview day left and they were no longer offering interviews..I'm not even sure if my application was reviewed. So because this was so recent, a lot of my motivation and experiences are similar to what they were a few months ago. Of course, I would change some things and add more recent details, but I'm wondering how this would look.
 
I was under the impression that Western is very selective on who they send their secondaries to! is that true? I got one today, and I don't have MCAT score in yet? any ideas?
 
am i the only one still waiting to hear from western? i havent received anything from them 🙁

You are not the only one. I have gotten all DO secondaries except this one. 😱 I wonder what's going on here because I thought they don't screen?

Edit: Never mind. I just checked my email and got Western's secondary 30 min ago. Check your email inbox, maybe you get it too. :]
 
Last edited:
How do you guys send the LORs? Do they accept Interfolio? What's their GPA/MCAT stat?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
just a secondary invite for the oregon campus yesterday via email

but i guess if you got the pomona one already, it might be okay to just go ahead and fill out the other one too..
 
Thanks! Did you fill out for both campuses or wait until you get email for Oregon campus?


I waited, but apparently it was unnecessary. Sounds like you can just go ahead and fill it out, assuming you submitted your application there via AACOMAS and were sent Pomona's secondary.
 
for those of you who applied to both Pomona and oregon campus, do you know if the same admissions committee is reviewing both application, or there are two separate committee for each campus?


i feel kinda arkward to say i want to stay in CA and want to move to oregon...quite contradicting...=/
 
for those of you who applied to both Pomona and oregon campus, do you know if the same admissions committee is reviewing both application, or there are two separate committee for each campus?


i feel kinda arkward to say i want to stay in CA and want to move to oregon...quite contradicting...=/


From the sounds of it they might have two separate committees, but I'm not absolutely positive.

Yeah, I agree with your point on the CA vs OR campus'. It's like saying, "I'm applying to your campus, but I would rather go to your other campus. Nothing personal though..." haha
 
I am in the same boat too! All the essay questions are pretty much the same except the last one. Did you guys use the same ones for the first 3 questions?
 
I am in the same boat too! All the essay questions are pretty much the same except the last one. Did you guys use the same ones for the first 3 questions?

Yeah, I'm not going to change them up. I answered them the best way I knew how the first time, so I'm not sure why I would want to change it up.

I don't think they can fault you for not changing up the essay. 😉
 
Thanks!

Yeah, I'm not going to change them up. I answered them the best way I knew how the first time, so I'm not sure why I would want to change it up.

I don't think they can fault you for not changing up the essay. 😉
 
so i called the admissions office and they told me that there is only one admissions committe composed of 12 people, which will be reviewing both pomona and NW applications. However, they might be later divided up for each respective campus..not sure though..

which means, it might be possible that the same person is reading your application to both campus, if you are applying to both..

now i am little relunctant to fill out my NW secondary, because I would rather be considered for CA 100%, so I don't contradict myself during the interview or when they are discussing my file for admissions..

arrhh..what should i do?
 
so i called the admissions office and they told me that there is only one admissions committe composed of 12 people, which will be reviewing both pomona and NW applications. However, they might be later divided up for each respective campus..not sure though..

which means, it might be possible that the same person is reading your application to both campus, if you are applying to both..

now i am little relunctant to fill out my NW secondary, because I would rather be considered for CA 100%, so I don't contradict myself during the interview or when they are discussing my file for admissions..

arrhh..what should i do?

And thus fear was struck into the hearts of many SDNers.
 
so i called the admissions office and they told me that there is only one admissions committe composed of 12 people, which will be reviewing both pomona and NW applications. However, they might be later divided up for each respective campus..not sure though..

which means, it might be possible that the same person is reading your application to both campus, if you are applying to both..

now i am little relunctant to fill out my NW secondary, because I would rather be considered for CA 100%, so I don't contradict myself during the interview or when they are discussing my file for admissions..

arrhh..what should i do?

Just be honest. I have reasons why I would like to attend both and I just stated them. Everything else was the same for me. Know yourself and you can't go wrong... Change yourself for applications and you're just asking for trouble. It's just as important for you to find a good fit as it is for the schools you're applying to. Why apply at a school you would be miserable at? If you think you might be, then don't apply. If you could see yourself there and could make the best of it, then apply. 😉

Nothing to fret. I'm kind of glad to hear that it's the same people reviewing my application. This way they can review applications faster and select better fits for each school. Just my opinion though.
 
FYI for everyone: They are apparently having "technical difficulties" with the Lebanon application and expect to have it fixed in a few weeks. They received all my materials for both campuses but have yet to confirm the Northwestern app because of this technical difficulty.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm attending! Where do you live? I wouldn't mind carpooling...

Well where I plan on coming from and where I'm going to are going to be different. I'm flying back from my LECOM interview on the night of the 27th, I'm going to stay in LA friday night, drive to preview day and then head home to Orange County.
 
Has anyone received simultaneous secondary and interview invites? It looks like they've done that in previous years.
 
Has anyone received simultaneous secondary and interview invites? It looks like they've done that in previous years.

That was later in the year when they had already started handing out interview invites. I'm guessing because they haven't started handing out interviews they haven't done this yet.
 
Is there a limit to LORs you can send?

--
Update - I just read the FAQs of my secondary - looks like the limit is 5 for those who were wondering.
 
Last edited: