Western/COMP Discussion Thread 2010-2011

Started by Siggy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Interviewed on 12/11. Haven't received anything in the mail as of yet. I figured if they sent it out on Saturday, I would have it by today considering I'm in CA. Hopefully tomorrow!

same here I am in CA too. Nothing in mail from Western yet 😴
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
congratulations to those recently accepted!

I called the office today to see if I can pay my deposit with a credit card but they're not open until Jan 3. but my deposit is due Jan 1! so what's going to happen?

I really prefer using a credit card and not a check.
 
Well if they aren't open until the 3rd then they wouldn't receive your check until the 3rd either. I would just wait till they open I'm sure you will be fine. There must be many people in your situation so I wouldn't sweat it.
 
Interviewed on 12/11. Haven't received anything in the mail as of yet. I figured if they sent it out on Saturday, I would have it by today considering I'm in CA. Hopefully tomorrow!

Did you receive anything from them yet? I am in CA and I haven't received any mail from western yet. I wonder if they actually mailed all the letters.
 
Well if they aren't open until the 3rd then they wouldn't receive your check until the 3rd either. I would just wait till they open I'm sure you will be fine. There must be many people in your situation so I wouldn't sweat it.

with something this grave, why not just use a check? Even if it's a question of not having funds right now, why not just do a cash advance on the card and use a check (with a pre - jan 1 postmark)?
 
with something this grave, why not just use a check? Even if it's a question of not having funds right now, why not just do a cash advance on the card and use a check (with a pre - jan 1 postmark)?

I agree with this. You don't want to risk them pulling an acceptance over something so small. Even if they don't see the check until 1/3, they may want it postmarked by then. I'd send in a check, call them as early as possible, ask them to use your credit card instead, get the 1-2% reward points, and then buy a congratulatory drink. Good luck.
 
I agree with this. You don't want to risk them pulling an acceptance over something so small. Even if they don't see the check until 1/3, they may want it postmarked by then. I'd send in a check, call them as early as possible, ask them to use your credit card instead, get the 1-2% reward points, and then buy a congratulatory drink. Good luck.

LOL. Great advice!
 
I agree with this. You don't want to risk them pulling an acceptance over something so small. Even if they don't see the check until 1/3, they may want it postmarked by then. I'd send in a check, call them as early as possible, ask them to use your credit card instead, get the 1-2% reward points, and then buy a congratulatory drink. Good luck.

I think you mean drinkS lol

dam it! Im still waiting for my letter!!!! This is killing me inside! Although at least its comforting knowing some people in Cali havent gotten theirs yet. I assume you guys interviewed Dec 11th as well?!
 
I think you mean drinkS lol

dam it! Im still waiting for my letter!!!! This is killing me inside! Although at least its comforting knowing some people in Cali havent gotten theirs yet. I assume you guys interviewed Dec 11th as well?!

Yep I interviewed on Dec 11th and I am from CA-- no letter yet.
 
This is a long shot but....... does anyone have a way to contact someone from Westerns admissions BEFORE jan 3rd? I ACTUALLY need to know my answer within the next week. I have an acceptance at another school with a $2000 deposit due in a week. I leave for Australia for four months on Dec 29th.

Anyway does anyone have any ideas? It sucks because there is not many telephone numbers given on their website and no personal ones. I guess this makes sense though because stupid students would be contacting them for useless questions lol

Any thoughts? Thanks (I tried emailing Robin but its automated saying shes away until Jan 3rd)
 
Has anyone else from the 12/11 interview group received a letter in the mail in regards to a decision? I'm thinking they didn't get through everyone before the Holidays...
 
Has anyone else from the 12/11 interview group received a letter in the mail in regards to a decision? I'm thinking they didn't get through everyone before the Holidays...

No mail here either. I am thinking the same thing
 
Has anyone else from the 12/11 interview group received a letter in the mail in regards to a decision? I'm thinking they didn't get through everyone before the Holidays...

I interviewed December 11th and just received my acceptance letter in the mail yesterday! I don't think I will accept though...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone else from the 12/11 interview group received a letter in the mail in regards to a decision? I'm thinking they didn't get through everyone before the Holidays...


i got mine last week, but that would make sense if you didn't get a letter yet. they for sure don't do any letters over the holidays so don't worry about it. you should get it soon.
 
ahhhh still waiting for my damn letter! Although Im in Canada. Apparently it should only take 5 days so I dont think they sent mine yet🙁
 
Finally submitted my secondary today and fedexed my payment, really really late I know. Already accepted into Nova, but after a lot of thought, I'd really like to go to Western! Here's hoping to some good news this year. 🙂
 
No mail here either. I am thinking the same thing

I also interviewed on Dec 11th, and was given a decision over the phone on Dec 17th right before the break...however, still no letter...I just spoke with admissions, they said they did mail out my letter that sat dec 18th, but for some reason it did not get to me...so I'm going down there right now to pick it up (thankfully, I don't live too far from the campus) My suggestion is to call and see if yours was mailed out as well
 
Hey guys!

I recently withdrew. I had a great time at Western and I hope that my spot goes to some of you guys that are waiting!
 
i just found out that i've been accepted to western.

i'm trying to decide between western and touro-ca. can anyone compare the pros/cons between the two schools? thanks!
 
Wait!they told us that they are not going to send out any mails until after the break,how come you guys already recieved your acceptance letters, I am now super worried🙁
 
So I think its safe for me to give up on Western since I haven't heard from them period since first week of september.
 
I called yesterday only to find out a decision has not been made on my file🙁 its especially weird because so many people who interviewed with me (Dec 11th) have an answer🙁

anyone else is same boat?
 
I called yesterday only to find out a decision has not been made on my file🙁 its especially weird because so many people who interviewed with me (Dec 11th) have an answer🙁

anyone else is same boat?

I called this morning and I'm in the same boat. I wouldn't be too worried they just weren't able to get through everyone before the Christmas break. So keep your head up you may still have good news coming this week. :luck: good luck
 
So I think its safe for me to give up on Western since I haven't heard from them period since first week of september.


Have you tried calling them to ask about your status?? I called right before winter break came around and I wasn't able to actually talk to anyone. What does it say under your status? Mine still says "Complete ready for review" 🙁
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I thought I was late with the DO applications, but primaries were completed 12/16. Wanted to wait until after the holidays to submit secondaries. Before I began Western's secondary, I got a call yesterday to schedule an interview! I was very confused but I guess it's not uncommon to receive pre-secondary interview invites.

Anyway, I have scheduled my interview for Jan 27, and need to complete everything by then. Super stoked! My first interview!
 
I thought I was late with the DO applications, but primaries were completed 12/16. Wanted to wait until after the holidays to submit secondaries. Before I began Western's secondary, I got a call yesterday to schedule an interview! I was very confused but I guess it's not uncommon to receive pre-secondary interview invites.

Anyway, I have scheduled my interview for Jan 27, and need to complete everything by then. Super stoked! My first interview!

Congratz - What are your stats? If you don't mind sharing.
Any1 interviewing there on Jan 13?
 
I thought I was late with the DO applications, but primaries were completed 12/16. Wanted to wait until after the holidays to submit secondaries. Before I began Western's secondary, I got a call yesterday to schedule an interview! I was very confused but I guess it's not uncommon to receive pre-secondary interview invites.

Anyway, I have scheduled my interview for Jan 27, and need to complete everything by then. Super stoked! My first interview!

I had a friend who got in to UC Davis SOM with a November primary app. He felt that applying late gave his application a chance to stand out from the pack of early applications. He waited until he knew he could get a killer letter of rec from a well known researcher. It seems to have worked for him, but obviously this strategy will have different results at different schools.
 
I am really interested in Western, submitted my secondary Aug 30th, but received an email on Oct. 25th saying, "Your application has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee and you were not selected for an interview at this time. However your application will continue to be reviewed and you will be contacted by telephone if you are selected for a future interview."

Has anyone been in this situation later to be invited for an interview? Does anyone know what the chances are of being interviewed after they put you on hold?

I just sent them an updated letter of intent and an additional letter of rec from a DO... I am still hoping I have a chance.
 
Finally all my stuff was updated today! 27R, 3.5 GPA. I was pretty shocked how friendly and helpful the admissions person I talked to was! I'm glad I called. Really hopeful for an interview here!
 
Got my letter in the mail today, and found out that I was placed on the alternate list. Does anyone have any details about the chances of getting off the list and being accepted?
 
I have a question for any COMP students reading this thread (or anyone who might want to chime in)...

I was recently accepted to Western. I currently live with my boyfriend in LA and we're trying to figure out where we should live next year. He works in the film industry, so I am very very happy that I've been accepted to Western so that he may still work while I'm in school (all of his work is in LA). However, he'd like to be as close to Burbank as possible and I'd like to be closer to Pomona. What is the farthest west of the school that you think might be reasonable to live? We've been considering Glendora, but is Pasadena too far? Does anyone know of any COMP students that live that far west? I'd love to live in Pasadena, but I'm not sure if the commute would be bearable.
 
I have a question for any COMP students reading this thread (or anyone who might want to chime in)...

I was recently accepted to Western. I currently live with my boyfriend in LA and we're trying to figure out where we should live next year. He works in the film industry, so I am very very happy that I've been accepted to Western so that he may still work while I'm in school (all of his work is in LA). However, he'd like to be as close to Burbank as possible and I'd like to be closer to Pomona. What is the farthest west of the school that you think might be reasonable to live? We've been considering Glendora, but is Pasadena too far? Does anyone know of any COMP students that live that far west? I'd love to live in Pasadena, but I'm not sure if the commute would be bearable.

I know people that live in Pasadena and think that commute is fine, I believe you are going against traffic mostly. That is totally doable.
 
I have a question for any COMP students reading this thread (or anyone who might want to chime in)...

I was recently accepted to Western. I currently live with my boyfriend in LA and we're trying to figure out where we should live next year. He works in the film industry, so I am very very happy that I've been accepted to Western so that he may still work while I'm in school (all of his work is in LA). However, he'd like to be as close to Burbank as possible and I'd like to be closer to Pomona. What is the farthest west of the school that you think might be reasonable to live? We've been considering Glendora, but is Pasadena too far? Does anyone know of any COMP students that live that far west? I'd love to live in Pasadena, but I'm not sure if the commute would be bearable.

I currently live in Pasadena and the commute has been no problem for me so far. It is against traffic each way and takes roughly 25 minutes for each leg. It is totally doable but may require you to be a bit more of a morning person to compensate for the drive time. I have no plans to move from Pasadena and really like living here. Feel free to ask more questions if you have any.
 
French MD and Grey Wind,

Thank you!! That's a HUGE relief. I actually wasn't expecting to hear that anyone lived in Pasadena, so I am very happy to hear this! I love Pasadena so hopefully we find a nice place there.
 
Do any current Western students know how the commute from the Garden Grove/Westminster area is?
 
Hey guys I'm looking for a little advice/opinions. I had my primary submitted in mid september but heard nothing from western until now (well, i received a secondary from the lebanon campus, but chose not to submit it). Today I got an email inviting me to fill out the secondary app for the pomona campus, but with it being so late in the season, I'm wondering if its really worth it. I really liked the look of western when i was researching schools, but since it took them over 3 months to even send me the secondary, I am wondering if I will be wasting my time and money to fill it out. I think my stats may be a little lower than average for western (26Q 3.5 cGPA and 3.3 sGPA) so I just wanted to see what other people thought.

Thanks in advance!!
 
Hey guys I'm looking for a little advice/opinions. I had my primary submitted in mid september but heard nothing from western until now (well, i received a secondary from the lebanon campus, but chose not to submit it). Today I got an email inviting me to fill out the secondary app for the pomona campus, but with it being so late in the season, I'm wondering if its really worth it. I really liked the look of western when i was researching schools, but since it took them over 3 months to even send me the secondary, I am wondering if I will be wasting my time and money to fill it out. I think my stats may be a little lower than average for western (26Q 3.5 cGPA and 3.3 sGPA) so I just wanted to see what other people thought.

Thanks in advance!!

Go for it. There's really nothing to lose, except the secondary fee. You're late, but there are plenty of late applicants who have gotten in.

Do it as quickly as possible and submit all your required materials in ASAP.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Do any current Western students know how the commute from the Garden Grove/Westminster area is?

I don't go to western, but I live in La Verne which is right there. as far as the drive goes, you'll be going against the traffic on the 57N in the morning so it wouldn't be bad although thats alot of driving you would be doing.
 
I was just wondering if anyone could provide some insight into how Western does board prep? Also do they have simulated patients or just the standardized actor patients? Thanks for your help!
 
Barnold, I'm in the same boat. I got the same email a couple months ago, but no word since. I sent in an update/interest letter this past week. Wondering where I sit in line!

I am really interested in Western, submitted my secondary Aug 30th, but received an email on Oct. 25th saying, "Your application has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee and you were not selected for an interview at this time. However your application will continue to be reviewed and you will be contacted by telephone if you are selected for a future interview."

Has anyone been in this situation later to be invited for an interview? Does anyone know what the chances are of being interviewed after they put you on hold?

I just sent them an updated letter of intent and an additional letter of rec from a DO... I am still hoping I have a chance.
 
Hi guys i have an interview coming up, and was wondering what is the format for interview day? Is there a lot of walking? Stairs? Will i be comfortable in heels? Also how far is the parking? Where do we go in the morning? and how long does interview day last and what is the interview format?
Thanks!
 
Hi guys i have an interview coming up, and was wondering what is the format for interview day? Is there a lot of walking? Stairs? Will i be comfortable in heels? Also how far is the parking? Where do we go in the morning? and how long does interview day last and what is the interview format?
Thanks!

The parking lot is in front of the Health Education Center and across the sidewalk from the where your interview takes place, so you don't have to walk far. When you walk in the main entrance of the Health Education Center Lobby you will see a welcome desk who will give you a name tag and pamphlet and direct you upstairs.

You then have about 30 min for a continental breakfast and to settle in. After that, you go into the auditorium for presentations/welcome/etc. Then, depending on what time your interview is, you will either go on a walking tour of the campus with a current student (which is about ~20 minutes of walking, including 1-2 flights of stairs) and will have time to ask the student questions OR you will be seated in the lobby with a few other students to await your name being called for your interview.

The interview consists of anywhere from 1-3 people asking you questions. I personally had a professor and a second year student. It lasted about 30 minutes and consisted of mostly questions about my background and research work. There was one ethical question (multiple choice...no wrong answer, just had to support my choice) and a short "role play" which sounds a lot worse than it actually is.

After that, we had a box lunch with our student tour guide and tour group and an osteopathic manipulation demonstration. Then we were free to go! The order of events might vary for you depending on what group you are in (there were ~50 applicants there during my interview divided into about 10 groups) but the day lasted from about 8am-2:30pm for everyone. Some people left the OM demonstration early. If you have any other questions let me know. Good luck!!:luck: