Western/COMP Discussion Thread 2010-2011

Started by Siggy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Hello all, just wanted to say that I was accepted to COMP last week!!! 🙂🙂 Figured this would be the best place to start finding other people that were accepted! Best of luck to all that are still waiting!

I had my interview January 13th, anyone else on the forum there that day?!

COMP CLASS OF 2015!!!! :banana:
 
Last edited:
After hustling everyone on here, I just got a phone call for an interview invite. Yay!! It's on the 24th of Feb. I was completed on the 11th of Jan.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello all, just wanted to say that I was accepted to COMP last week!!! 🙂🙂 Figured this would be the best place to start finding other people that were accepted! Best of luck to all that are still waiting!

I had my interview January 13th, anyone else on the forum there that day?!

COMP CLASS OF 2015!!!! :banana:

congrats! there's a fb group and we've been sharing a bunch of random updates with each other. that's a great place to find some of your future classmates! 🙂

After hustling everyone on here, I just got a phone call for an interview invite. Yay!! It's on the 24th of Feb. I was completed on the 11th of Jan.

wow, that's a pretty quick interview invite. good luck!
 
congrats! there's a fb group and we've been sharing a bunch of random updates with each other. that's a great place to find some of your future classmates! 🙂



Whats the name of the facebook group!? I can't find it just searching for it. 😀
 
This post has sure gotten quiet. Has anyone heard info on whether they are still sending out interview invites?

I got an interview invite earlier this week (phone call) and the lady said it was the last one available. So probably, that's the last one for this month (Feb)?
 
I got an interview invite earlier this week (phone call) and the lady said it was the last one available. So probably, that's the last one for this month (Feb)?

Hmmm, let's hope for something in march! For me, that is. =) Good luck on the interview!
 
I was also told that Feb 24th would be the last interview session when I called a few weeks ago to make my interview appointment. Maybe there will be some last minute cancellations! Best of luck!

yeah, the last interview date is the 24th. they may be adding another date, but unlikely.
i was complete a little over a month ago, so i definitely applied too late. oh well, still have nova, but would have been nice to go back to california =(
 
Last edited:
Hello all, just wanted to say that I was accepted to COMP last week!!! 🙂🙂 Figured this would be the best place to start finding other people that were accepted! Best of luck to all that are still waiting!

I had my interview January 13th, anyone else on the forum there that day?!

COMP CLASS OF 2015!!!! :banana:

I have an interview this week (changed it from earlier). How was the interview? Any advice?
Thanks
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They said they might add more dates, but I called today and confirmed what people were saying.

Wow, i can't believe Feb will be the last month for them to interview. thought they'd go into March and April!

Good luck to all those still waiting and for those who will be interviewing soon!:luck::xf:
 
Wow, i can't believe Feb will be the last month for them to interview. thought they'd go into March and April!

Good luck to all those still waiting and for those who will be interviewing soon!:luck::xf:

How scary. They must be very filled at this point. It looks like I will be attending the last interview date...gulps.

Has anyone checked last year thread to see if this is the case as well?
 
How scary. They must be very filled at this point. It looks like I will be attending the last interview date...gulps.

Has anyone checked last year thread to see if this is the case as well?

Don't worry about it. Go in and fight for your spot. Western is pretty good about keeping the interview group pretty small. If they're spending an interview spot on you it means that they're still interested.

I was part of the last interview date last year. I know that at least 3 of the class of 2014 was from that date (including me) and I'm sure there are more that I didn't meet.
 
How scary. They must be very filled at this point. It looks like I will be attending the last interview date...gulps.

Has anyone checked last year thread to see if this is the case as well?

Good luck Dyingduck on your interview! I read last year's thread and it seems that the last interview date was March 18th so there might be spots opening up in March if need be.
 
Thanks, everyone 😍. I'll practice my brain out for a good last impression. Does anyone know the %acceptance for interviewees?
 
well I just called WesternU in Pomona and spoke with an admissions counselor

I asked her how many seats are available and she said "I want to say its just over half full but the number changes daily as people accept and decline offers"

she also confirmed that the 24th is the last interview date and they are all booked. She said that they may have another day interview day in april.
 
i'm trying to figure out where i should live.

is the helix safe?

what about el sereno or terremonte apartments?

i want to stay in pomona so i'll be close to school but i haven't heard many good things about the area. i'm kind of scared. should i live in san dimas or la verne instead? how long of a commute would that be?
 
i'm trying to figure out where i should live.

is the helix safe?

what about el sereno or terremonte apartments?

i want to stay in pomona so i'll be close to school but i haven't heard many good things about the area. i'm kind of scared. should i live in san dimas or la verne instead? how long of a commute would that be?

I don't know if you ran into a apt complex called Pine club apartments in pomona; it says it's a gated community with a studio starting at $795. I was looking into that but am also looking at other areas that isn't much of a commute from school. Cheshyre a current student said that Claremont and Chino are about 10 mins commute if I can remember right.
 
I don't know if you ran into a apt complex called Pine club apartments in pomona; it says it's a gated community with a studio starting at $795. I was looking into that but am also looking at other areas that isn't much of a commute from school. Cheshyre a current student said that Claremont and Chino are about 10 mins commute if I can remember right.

thanks! i'll take a look into it. gosh, maybe i'll just end up living at the comfort inn near campus.
 
Hey Everyone! I've been seeing that everyone is looking for housing around here...I grew up in Chino Hills (still living here) and know exactly what to expect...so here's my scoop (if anyone would like to hear)...

I heard a few comments about living in Huntington Beach and Pasadena...I went to UCI and go to Pasadena every weekend...I would be a little worried about the traffic for each even though you most likely would be going the opposite direction because the 210 freeway and 57 (right past the 10Freeway going south) are absolutely horrible around traffic time (so that's basically from 600-900am & 230-700pm for both)...so say you forget something and have to hop on going back...you're looking at being in bumper to bumper traffic...I work in SoCal and travel on the freeway a lot...it can take me up to 1.5 hrs to get 30 miles...

Anyway...I would suggest living directly in Pomona (even though it really isn't as bad as everyone is making it out to be) only because there are such nice communities around it...LaVerne, Claremont, Diamond Bar, San Dimas, Chino & CHino Hills...Even though I live so close to Western...it's time for me to fly the coop and I've been looking at a few places in upperPomona/LaVerne...try those they're really nice...on White Ave above the 10 freeway...

...some students even pull together a few others and rent an actual home in chino hills...you're looking at about 1500-2000 a month...but pretty good size with 4-5 bedrooms and at least 2-3 baths with the way the homes are built here (track homes)...

well, i hope that helps some of you...if you would like to know more, just ask! :]
 
so...I finished my secondary to western back in november and have been calling every 2 weeks or so to check up on my status only to be told it was still being reviewed...I call in today and they tell me I was approved for interview awhile back and that someone should have called me...

what...the...heck.

someone should call me back later today to tell me what's going to happen but this really sucks.
 
so...I finished my secondary to western back in november and have been calling every 2 weeks or so to check up on my status only to be told it was still being reviewed...I call in today and they tell me I was approved for interview awhile back and that someone should have called me...

what...the...heck.

someone should call me back later today to tell me what's going to happen but this really sucks.

OMG they did that to me too! I submitted my secondary at the beginning of August and in November I wrote a letter of intent to the school because I hadn't heard anything. Literally 5 minutes after sending the email they called me and told me that they had called and invited me to interview a while back and I never responded. They definitely never called to invite me to interview earlier. Luckily I got the next interview date available (and was ultimately accepted). When I was there, another interviewee told me they had the same experience. I think someone in the admissions office is making mistakes.

I'm sorry to hear that this is happening to you, especially this late in the cycle. Hopefully they can schedule you soon for an interview.
 
It's terrible you guys are having that experience! When I was at my interview there another guy that was interviewing the same day said he actually received a rejection but then got a call a few weeks later and was invited for an interview. So something is going on there. Also since there were around 100 people at my interview it would be a lot easier to make mistakes than if you only had 15-20 people each time.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Accepted!!!!! And for the rest of the peeps that interviewed on the 27th the mail went out today so if you're in socal tmrw is a big day!!!!

Yay class of 2015!!!!!!!!!
 
ACCEPTED!!!! omg im so happy!!! Western class of 2015!!

congrats wolverinee!!! I was there the same day =) =D
 
Accepted!!!!! And for the rest of the peeps that interviewed on the 27th the mail went out today so if you're in socal tmrw is a big day!!!!

Yay class of 2015!!!!!!!!!

ACCEPTED!!!! omg im so happy!!! Western class of 2015!!

congrats wolverinee!!! I was there the same day =) =D


AHHHHHHH!!! CONGRATULATIONS YOU TWO!!!!! I bet it feels incredible to snatch one of the last interview dates and then receive an acceptance.

Wolverinepwns- i'm especially happy and excited for you!!
 
Congratulations to both of you. I'm sure we met at some point on the 27th and everyone was pretty friendly.

Anyways did you guys call to find out? I'm living out east so I probably won't get the letter until at least Monday. I'm sure by then I will have been driven mad with anticipation.
 
ACCEPTED!!!! omg im so happy!!! Western class of 2015!!

congrats wolverinee!!! I was there the same day =) =D

Congrats!!!! I'm so excited!

AHHHHHHH!!! CONGRATULATIONS YOU TWO!!!!! I bet it feels incredible to snatch one of the last interview dates and then receive an acceptance.

Wolverinepwns- i'm especially happy and excited for you!!

Thank you! and thanks for the support all along, it kept my hopes alive and it finally paid off!

Congratulations to both of you. I'm sure we met at some point on the 27th and everyone was pretty friendly.

Anyways did you guys call to find out? I'm living out east so I probably won't get the letter until at least Monday. I'm sure by then I will have been driven mad with anticipation.

yeah I called due to the deadline for a payment that I had to make to another school.
 
YAY! CONGRATS Wolverinepwns and badmintondr on your acceptance!

Did anyone receive an email today from Western regarding the Immunization, history and physical forms are up and that we're supposed to activate our WesternU email account?

But, where's the site to activate the student email account????? 😕 I guess they'll send another email for that...
 
Last edited:
do the stafford loans cover all of tuition?

grad plus/private loans are only used to cover living expenses, right? and stafford covers all tuition/fees?
 
do the stafford loans cover all of tuition?

grad plus/private loans are only used to cover living expenses, right? and stafford covers all tuition/fees?

I think it depends on how much stafford you qualify for. So stafford loans don't necessarily cover tuition. I think the total amount that you can get, if you qualify, is $8500 subsidized + $38,667 unsubsidized. Whatever you still need after that, you use grad plus for -- living expenses, tuition, etc.
 
quick question for those who have submitted their deposites, does it have to be a check or can you call in with a credit card? thanks in advance.
 
Any current students have recommendations for apartments to look into in surrounding cities of Pomona? greatly appreciate it! 🙂
 
Just got my letter in the mail today, accepted class of 2015!! YAY, Happy Valentine's Day to me!! I interviewed on the 27th of Jan.

For those of you still waiting for your interview, have examples of your problem solving skills and your conflict resolution skills ready. Also, they give you a scenario on a card with five or so answers and have you pick the one you like best. My scenario was straight out of mcat verbal reasoning, all bad answers and I just picked the least wrong. They seemed to really like my explanations so be sure to talk out loud through your reasoning process.

Good Luck!!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone received a financial aide packet from them yet? I filled out and submitted my fafsa at the beginning of January and I have yet to hear anything from Western. Also, congrats to all the newly accepted folks out there!👍
 
Has anyone received a financial aide packet from them yet? I filled out and submitted my fafsa at the beginning of January and I have yet to hear anything from Western. Also, congrats to all the newly accepted folks out there!👍

I emailed them and one of the financial aid rep said that you don't have to do anything until they send out the financial aid letter and everything else in spring. So, you're pretty much set for now and just wait for spring to get some financial aid stuff in the mail. 🙂
 
I emailed them and one of the financial aid rep said that you don't have to do anything until they send out the financial aid letter and everything else in spring. So, you're pretty much set for now and just wait for spring to get some financial aid stuff in the mail. 🙂

Fill out your FAFSA. It takes ~10 minutes. At this level (DO, MD, JD, whatever) we're all considered to be "independent" even if we're not. Unless you have an atypical background, you shouldn't have to put down your parents' income information.

For other people reading: if you haven't gotten accepted yet, fill out the FAFSA anyway. It's free and it'll be better than submitting the FAFSA late if you get off the waitlist in July. Save your login info in a safe place because you'll need it if you ever want to access FinAid materials in the future.
 
I think it depends on how much stafford you qualify for. So stafford loans don't necessarily cover tuition. I think the total amount that you can get, if you qualify, is $8500 subsidized + $38,667 unsubsidized. Whatever you still need after that, you use grad plus for -- living expenses, tuition, etc.

That's correct. To add to this, the Stafford loans have a lower interest rate so you want to exhaust your supply of Stafford dollars before thinking about borrowing GradPlus loans.

What actually will happen is that the school takes whatever you owe them and then gives you a check/direct deposits whatever is left into your bank account. You can use that cash for anything you want. Just remember that it has to be paid back with interest.
 
That's correct. To add to this, the Stafford loans have a lower interest rate so you want to exhaust your supply of Stafford dollars before thinking about borrowing GradPlus loans.

What actually will happen is that the school takes whatever you owe them and then gives you a check/direct deposits whatever is left into your bank account. You can use that cash for anything you want. Just remember that it has to be paid back with interest.

are all students able to take out the ~46k via the stafford loans so long as their expected family contribution is low? or is it normally less than that?