Western/COMP Lebanon Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are they still only interviewing once a month? I am interested as to what these interviews will be like. Are there going to be like 50 persons per huge group interview? Are they only inviting people they know they want... gotta wait for the email on the 22nd I guess..

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm from WA. Complete aug. 10.
Others going Oct 9, anyone want to get dinner the night before to break the ice? :)
I'm from San Diego, CA going for an interview on 10/9!!! woohoo! ...and now to scramble to make traveling plans =) of course we should all get dinner the night before, thats a great idea sradoctora... anyone else down?

I'd be down for some broken ice dinner. Btw, if this was anything like last years interviews at the CA campus though, there are going to be many people in the area at once, like 50.

Perhaps I should call about this, but I thought I was post here first. I received a secondary application link through an email that didn't specify which school (lebanon or pomona) so I assumed it was for both and submitted both applications. However, I read that some people have received two emails, one without specification and one with lebanon specification. After my submission a couple days ago I got a confirmation email for each school from different administrators... I wonder if this means I'm all set now? I am afraid to send in my money if I don't actually have a legitimate invite for Lebanon and they are just going to throw it out or something.
Those of you who are interviewing... is this for the Pomona or Lebanon campus or both? Thanks!

Perhaps I should call about this, but I thought I was post here first. I received a secondary application link through an email that didn't specify which school (lebanon or pomona) so I assumed it was for both and submitted both applications. However, I read that some people have received two emails, one without specification and one with lebanon specification. After my submission a couple days ago I got a confirmation email for each school from different administrators... I wonder if this means I'm all set now? I am afraid to send in my money if I don't actually have a legitimate invite for Lebanon and they are just going to throw it out or something.
Those of you who are interviewing... is this for the Pomona or Lebanon campus or both? Thanks!

Look at your app if it says
Campus:Lebanon, Oregon
Than you have the correct one. Each campus has their own secondary.

If I remember correctly, we are supposed to get the confirmation email today. Did Jess mention when we would receive it?

Look at your app if it says
Campus:Lebanon, Oregon
Than you have the correct one. Each campus has their own secondary.

That wasn't what I was asking. I'm wondering if I should have received two email invites, one for each campus. Or, if one email means I can submit both apps. I know that I have access to both, but I'm not sure if that means I should.

If I remember correctly, we are supposed to get the confirmation email today. Did Jess mention when we would receive it?

I spoke with Robyn yesterday to confirm my interview and she said that an email should be going out wednesday.

Also, I'm not sure how accurate it is but we had a recruiter from Western do a presentation here at school yesterday and I asked about interviews. She stated that they don't do group interviews... so maybe a short interviews? a lot of interviewers?

Anyone with more info Id be curious. It seems like there will be a lot of people on oct 9th..

I spoke with Robyn yesterday to confirm my interview and she said that an email should be going out wednesday.

Also, I'm not sure how accurate it is but we had a recruiter from Western do a presentation here at school yesterday and I asked about interviews. She stated that they don't do group interviews... so maybe a short interviews? a lot of interviewers?

Anyone with more info Id be curious. It seems like there will be a lot of people on oct 9th..

Ah yes, the 22nd, you are absolutely correct, I was jumping the gun. Tomorrow then.

And if the campuses are anything alike in their interview techniques, there will be a large group there. The morning is all the tours, talks, everything. Then from about 12:00-3:00ish they have different panels that interview each applicant individually for approx 30 minutes each. i.e. you get assigned an interview with panel 3 from 2:00 - 2:30. I hear there is a bit of waiting involved in this and you make good friends with your other interviewees. I am sure the email will clear all this up tomorrow however.

Members don't see this ad :)
I declined my interview today, I couldn't justify the flight out when I already have an acceptance. Good luck to everyone else!

I declined my interview today, I couldn't justify the flight out when I already have an acceptance. Good luck to everyone else!

Are you going to keep with your Touro NY interview then? I am thinking about dropping my Touro NY interview...

Is everyone flying into Portland and renting a car? There does not seem to be many well known shuttle services.

Is everyone flying into Portland and renting a car? There does not seem to be many well known shuttle services.

It seems as though that is the plan, though I am not making any reservations or buying plane tickets until i get the email tomorrow.

I dont think once a month interviews are uncommon. PNWU is doing interviews once a month as well.
When I interviewed in January last cycle for PNWU there were only about 20 interviewees...so it wasn't extremely crowded. Definitely more than the 10-15 at other interviews though.

Are you going to keep with your Touro NY interview then? I am thinking about dropping my Touro NY interview...

I am keeping my Touro NY and CA interviews because I am interested in both of those. I already have my hotel and flight for NY; I am flying back to Cali since I have family there and it'd be nice to visit..also interested in the school ;) I am still driving to my KCUMB interview since I am too interested in the school. I was very interested in Lebanon, but I wasn't enough to warrant the flight + lodging + time off work to supersede Touro CA.. Hope that made sense :O

Talked to Western today and the nice lady on the phone told me that we should get an email tomorrow. It should include the interview day schedule. I also asked if the school recommended any hotels, and I believe she said that they recommended a hotel in Albany for $70(?) a night (this info should be in the email), I looked up Albany on google maps and it's about 30 minutes from Lebanon, OR, so you might want to check for closer hotels if 30 minutes is too long for you. Looking forward to meeting everyone, interview day has the usual tour, speeches, organization that other interviews usually have.

About how long did it take everyone to go from "complete" to being called about an interview? I was just curious and anxious! Thanks!

Talked to Western today and the nice lady on the phone told me that we should get an email tomorrow. It should include the interview day schedule. I also asked if the school recommended any hotels, and I believe she said that they recommended a hotel in Albany for $70(?) a night (this info should be in the email), I looked up Albany on google maps and it's about 30 minutes from Lebanon, OR, so you might want to check for closer hotels if 30 minutes is too long for you. Looking forward to meeting everyone, interview day has the usual tour, speeches, organization that other interviews usually have.

Corvallis is just as close, and is more of a college town. There you will find food and drinks and nightlife. Lebanon is a small farming / logging community, so you won't find much. Actually, the school is probably going to drive business into Lebanon.

There is a shuttle from the Airport to Corvallis, and I think it is $40 one way. That isn't bad considering it is almost 2 hours away. It drops you off at OSU in Corvallis. There is a Hilton Garden Inn, a Salbasgeon Suites, and a couple others that I can't think of their names right now.

Also in Corvallis is the hospital where the groups are going to rotate until they get a hospital built in Lebanon (I thought I read that somewhere). It is on the north side of Lebanon. Just your standard midsized hospital, but you might want to go take a look. It is a very pretty drive up there, especially this time of year.

Hope this helps...

Corvallis is just as close, and is more of a college town. There you will find food and drinks and nightlife. Lebanon is a small farming / logging community, so you won't find much. Actually, the school is probably going to drive business into Lebanon.

There is a shuttle from the Airport to Corvallis, and I think it is $40 one way. That isn't bad considering it is almost 2 hours away. It drops you off at OSU in Corvallis. There is a Hilton Garden Inn, a Salbasgeon Suites, and a couple others that I can't think of their names right now.

Also in Corvallis is the hospital where the groups are going to rotate until they get a hospital built in Lebanon (I thought I read that somewhere). It is on the north side of Lebanon. Just your standard midsized hospital, but you might want to go take a look. It is a very pretty drive up there, especially this time of year.

Hope this helps...

There is already a hospital in Lebanon...it is right across the street from the school. If anything I would guess they will just be adding onto it. The hospital they are building that you may be getting confused is there will actually be a VA hospital on Western's campus.

How big is the hospital that's across the street from the school?

Anyone received the email that was supposed to come today with the Oct 9th details?

Just anxiously awaiting so I can book travel plans.

Anyone received the email that was supposed to come today with the Oct 9th details?

Just anxiously awaiting so I can book travel plans.

lol yeah.... i called even. Still nothing here.

Thanks burnettj, I'll keep your suggestions in mind :D

Im assuming no one has gotten an email yet?

Anyone call and find out when we need to arrive and when we will be done on saturday?

Im assuming no one has gotten an email yet?

Anyone call and find out when we need to arrive and when we will be done on saturday?

No I haven't annnd no I haven't. I'm gonna guess 9-3pm (purely conjecture) we should make a pot and whoever gets the closest time gets dinner for free on the 9th imo. ha ha

Hello everybody! Um, anyone still waiting to hear from Western Lebanon? Crickets here. I was complete mid August.

Hello everybody! Um, anyone still waiting to hear from Western Lebanon? Crickets here. I was complete mid August.

Oh, yeah...lots of waiting happening.

So for those of you excited as I am for this interview, any bit of info is awesome while we wait for the email. I emailed Jessica today and she answered some questions of those of us getting ancy.

1. Are there any sponsored hotels in Lebanon? By sponsored, I mean discounted rates, a shuttle, etc.

We have contracts/negotiated rates with these hotels: Albany Phoenix Inn $70 per night plus tax (http://www.phoenixinn.com/albany/) Holiday Inn Albany $82 per night + tax (http://www.hiexpress.com/hotels/us/en/albany/alnkb/hoteldetail?&%253b_IATAno=9960259) Albany Comfort Suites (http://www.comfortsuites.com/hotel-albany-oregon-OR100?promo=bingmap&camp=local&channel=bing) and Corvallis Hilton Garden Inn $99 per night + tax (http://www.hiltongardeninn.com/en/gi/hotels/index.jhtml?ctyhocn=CVOCHGI) or Salbasgeon Suites $70 per night + tax (http://www.salbasgeon.com/).

As for Lebanon, there is a hotel called Shanico Inn ($46.50 per night + tax), but we don't have a contract with them. Here is the website: http://www.shanicoinnlebanon.com/

2. Where are our interviews taking place? I believe you mentioned two places before.

Everyone will meet at Lebanon Community Hospital and the interviews will be at the Hospital or Linn Benton Community College- Lebanon Center.

3. What time does the interview date begin and end so we can book tickets.

Plan for an all day event block out 8am-4pm for the interview day.

4. The way I see my travel arrangements at the present moment is traveling by rental car. Will there be designated places to park or shall I plan on other forms of travel to the interview (walking, etc)?

There will be parking in the front of/surrounding the Lebanon Community Hospital.

5. How many will be interviewing that day?
50 is the number at present date.

Looks like there are some decent hotels in Albany and a smaller cheaper one in Lebanon itself. Off to buy my plane tickets, anyone want to carpool from the airport? :p

So for those of you excited as I am for this interview, any bit of info is awesome while we wait for the email. I emailed Jessica today and she answered some questions of those of us getting ancy.

1. Are there any sponsored hotels in Lebanon? By sponsored, I mean discounted rates, a shuttle, etc.

We have contracts/negotiated rates with these hotels: Albany Phoenix Inn $70 per night plus tax (http://www.phoenixinn.com/albany/) Holiday Inn Albany $82 per night + tax (http://www.hiexpress.com/hotels/us/en/albany/alnkb/hoteldetail?&%3b_IATAno=9960259) Albany Comfort Suites (http://www.comfortsuites.com/hotel-albany-oregon-OR100?promo=bingmap&camp=local&channel=bing) and Corvallis Hilton Garden Inn $99 per night + tax (http://www.hiltongardeninn.com/en/gi/hotels/index.jhtml?ctyhocn=CVOCHGI) or Salbasgeon Suites $70 per night + tax (http://www.salbasgeon.com/).

As for Lebanon, there is a hotel called Shanico Inn ($46.50 per night + tax), but we don’t have a contract with them. Here is the website: http://www.shanicoinnlebanon.com/

2. Where are our interviews taking place? I believe you mentioned two places before.

Everyone will meet at Lebanon Community Hospital and the interviews will be at the Hospital or Linn Benton Community College- Lebanon Center.

3. What time does the interview date begin and end so we can book tickets.

Plan for an all day event block out 8am-4pm for the interview day.

4. The way I see my travel arrangements at the present moment is traveling by rental car. Will there be designated places to park or shall I plan on other forms of travel to the interview (walking, etc)?

There will be parking in the front of/surrounding the Lebanon Community Hospital.

5. How many will be interviewing that day?
50 is the number at present date.

Looks like there are some decent hotels in Albany and a smaller cheaper one in Lebanon itself. Off to buy my plane tickets, anyone want to carpool from the airport? :p

Thank you so much for the info! I hope they send out the emails some time soon.... and 50 ppl... wow.
Still, this is a top choice school, I'm very excited!

Regarding the hotels and transportation, it looks like the Corvallis hotel recommended is about 25 minutes away and the ones in Albany are about 15 minutes away. Also, the Hut Airport Shuttle is listed as stopping at the Phoenix Inn from PDX. When I called the shuttle for more information, it sounded like they might be willing to make special runs to/from the interview site if enough students are interested.

Regarding the hotels and transportation, it looks like the Corvallis hotel recommended is about 25 minutes away and the ones in Albany are about 15 minutes away. Also, the Hut Airport Shuttle is listed as stopping at the Phoenix Inn from PDX. When I called the shuttle for more information, it sounded like they might be willing to make special runs to/from the interview site if enough students are interested.

Eh... I rented my car already, I have a friend in Portland I might hang with, and my flight gets there at 9am so I kinda want a car so i can travel about albany and lebanon. GL with the shuttle though, others make sure to let EVA25 know if you are interested.

Got my phone call today! Flying in from AZ (haven't booked a flight yet). Phoenix Inn sounds great if the shuttle will take us to the interview. Where have people booked rooms?

My suggestion on the shuttle is for everyone to call them if interested using it. It didn't sound like a run they would normally make, but if they have enough people call them they would like to do it--otherwise the cost for transporation would be too high for just a few people to use it for a special run. Doesn't give us much time to call in, but may be worth a try rather than everyone renting a car. (541) 753-7831

Oh--and I booked at the Phoenix Inn also, just in case the shuttle thing goes through. It looks like a nice place and it's the closest to the interview site.

My suggestion on the shuttle is for everyone to call them if interested using it. It didn't sound like a run they would normally make, but if they have enough people call them they would like to do it--otherwise the cost for transporation would be too high for just a few people to use it for a special run. Doesn't give us much time to call in, but may be worth a try rather than everyone renting a car. (541) 753-7831

Sounds good. I'll call right now. Thanks for looking into it.

Did people finally get an email? I just got the call today so I'm still waiting.

No post interview phone call correspondence here.

Nothing on my end either. We are going to get a call in a few days and they are going to say "SIKE"... lol.

I am flying from Az, get to Portland around 9am, I am booked at the phoenix inn as well and I have 3 spots open in my rental car, if y'all want to mosey on down to the school with me, though I drive like an old lady so yeah...

I'm getting excited T-11 days.

haha, yeah I still have to reserve my hotel, but I keep thinking that we'll get an email saying JK ABOUT THE INVITE. :laugh: hopefully not :xf:

I got a phone call on 9/28 with invite for 10/9. I think like everybody else here i didn't recieve a confirmation email. I think it's a bit strange that they are asking people to come on such a short notice and don't provide any information about the location, time, travel....

How do you guys feel about being part of the inaugural class ? Anyone concerned about the location ? Limited resources ?

Thanks guys!!!

I think the emails went out today. I just got mine not too long ago...

Everyone that has an invite to the October 9, 2010 interview date should have received an e-mail confirmation yesterday. Everyone here is excited to meet all the applicants! Good Luck!

Everyone that has an invite to the October 9, 2010 interview date should have received an e-mail confirmation yesterday. Everyone here is excited to meet all the applicants! Good Luck!

OMG guys! They really do read and post here! Hurry delete all the bad stuff!!! Just kidding, thanks for coming on the forums to post the news! I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say we are excited to meet you all too!

I just got a phone call asking if I could come to the Oct 9 interview, I told them it would not be physically possible for me to get there because I have an interview at LECOM-E on Oct 8. The woman I spoke to, Jamie, was very nice and asked me if Nov 6 would be better. Has anyone else been invited for Nov 6? I am really excited to visit and learn more about the new campus! Also, I am from NY and I'm just wondering where people are from who have been invited for interviews thus far? Best of luck to everyone on Oct 9 :)